Customs wants to know about work laptop

@Chris.B Though I do appreciate the link, I bought the laptop quite awhile ago during a GPU shortage. I checked many websites. Availability between now and then are quite different. Unfortunately, the link isn't of much value after I already bought the computer, but might help others if looking for a RTX 3070. Of course, for any others looking... don't compare my price with his posted... different components, size, warranties... and even different wattages with the same type of GPU (major differences in performance/portability). Do your own due diligence.

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

To reiterate, and to be more specific, I don't believe that a courier company charged you B7,000+ admin fee plus duty, plus VAT on a normal overseas delivery, as you claim.   And bear in mind when you say that it's "NOYB", you're the one who brought the subject up!

"... you wriggle to claim that FedEx Thailand and to a slightly lesser extent DHL Thailand charge exorbitant fees on some/many private shipments".

No, i certainly did not claim that!     I'm saying exactly the opposite, they do not charge exorbitant fees, they charge official import duty rates and VAT and a small admin charge and so far no one has shown me to be wrong.    

What you seem to misunderstand is that with DHL and FedEx you are guaranteed to pay duty.

With other options you seem blissfully unaware of, you rarely pay duty.

And they do not necessarily charge accurately as they often misunderstand the actual value of an item. 

• Sad 1

On 9/29/2021 at 1:41 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For Customs to come in and start arbitrarily imposing what they think the value ought to be is simply inviting abuse.

But thats how it works, Customs can set their own valuation in just about any country. Its to avoid undervaluing for avoidance of duty/VAT. Doesn't matter whats on the shipping docs. 

Just last week we had a an article here on same subject for wine and that customs were building a wine valuation database to prevent under valuing by importers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, n00dle said:
15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

To reiterate, and to be more specific, I don't believe that a courier company charged you B7,000+ admin fee plus duty, plus VAT on a normal overseas delivery, as you claim.   And bear in mind when you say that it's "NOYB", you're the one who brought the subject up!

"... you wriggle to claim that FedEx Thailand and to a slightly lesser extent DHL Thailand charge exorbitant fees on some/many private shipments".

No, i certainly did not claim that!     I'm saying exactly the opposite, they do not charge exorbitant fees, they charge official import duty rates and VAT and a small admin charge and so far no one has shown me to be wrong.    

Expand  

What you seem to misunderstand is that with DHL and FedEx you are guaranteed to pay duty.

With other options you seem blissfully unaware of, you rarely pay duty.

And they do not necessarily charge accurately as they often misunderstand the actual value of an item. 

"...they do not necessarily charge accurately as they often misunderstand the actual value of an item".

Yes, guaranteed to pay duty at the official Customs Dept. rates, unless maybe you have some evidence otherwise that no other posters could provide so far.  Courier companies do not assess the value of items, they work on the stated value, unless Customs steps in to re-evaluate the claimed value when there are suspicions of under-valuation by the importer.

If I am wrong with my assertion that contradicts so many other posters' claims please provide evidence of just one instance where a courier has charged excessive duty.  Just one receipt would do it!

I am aware that importing using the postal services can greatly reduce that chance of being charged duty (I've had Thailand Post assessments of duty on items from the US, twice) but that is not because the couriers charging duty is wrong, it's just because Thailand Post cannot examine every single item that comes into the country.

8 hours ago, n00dle said:
14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How does someone here, ordering from a vendor overseas get the option to use Thailand Post's EMS service, a facility used to send postal items within or out of Thailand?    

Really?

EMS is international, doncha know.

https://www.ems.post/en/global-network/ems-operators

Where have you been?

Thanks, I stand corrected on that.  They could also just use registered (tracked/signed for) postal services from overseas that is much cheaper than EMS.

40 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

But thats how it works, Customs can set their own valuation in just about any country. Its to avoid undervaluing for avoidance of duty/VAT. Doesn't matter whats on the shipping docs. 

Just last week we had a an article here on same subject for wine and that customs were building a wine valuation database to prevent under valuing by importers.

Indeed and I think its good that the tax office does this. If you really can prove what you paid for something (invoice and proof of payment and link to website with price) Then they usually go along with you.

Problems happen when things are not new or send by family ect. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 12:43 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

It has been a recurring subject here, that's all, and so far, not one poster who has accused the courier companies of incorrect duties on items purchased/sent from overseas using couriers has been able to show anything empirical to back their accusations.   As you "suspect it's a racket", is it safe to assume that you've got something to back up your suspicions?

Look, I have been charged duty on duty exempt items by DHL (book and computer parts

Customs Heading 8741). 

I didn't keep the invoice in case someone on TV demanded proof or I was lying. MANY of us have had problems, particularly in the past when all you got was paperwork from a customs clearance agent.

On the time I got charged duty on duty exempt computer parts by DHL I got handed the official customs receipt, so what happened there? - when i send by normal post I do not get charged duty on duty exempt items.

• Haha 1

On 9/29/2021 at 1:41 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For Customs to come in and start arbitrarily imposing what they think the value ought to be is simply inviting abuse.

This (charge their own "assessed value" irrespective of declared value) is what they do for many standard items. It can work for you or against you. I had a London suit sent with the true cost declared - they charged me the standard of 30% on $100 assessed value - maybe they thought the declared value was in THB not GBP.......

Edited by mokwit

On 9/29/2021 at 1:58 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

"Personal electronics" are not zero-rated and, if Thailand Post pulls your item for inspection, import duty and VAT will be charged by them also.

I think it is far more likely to come under the duty exempt Heading 8741 for computer parts than personal electronics. The duty exemption was to facilitate Thailand's development by not charging duty on computer parts/computers.

To give you an idea of what a minefield it is, when importing computer graphics cards in addition to labeling "Heading 8741" I tell the seller not to label it a "video card", which is a common industry term, as Customs could assume it is TV equipment and a totally separate tax bracket applies maybe - or worse they could think it was broadcasting equipment and which I might need a license to import.

On 9/29/2021 at 2:04 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

So many personal experiences but you can't post just one receipt for those "huge clearance fees" imposed on you when buying items online and having them delivered by a courier!

Give it a rest, you are like a broken record with this.

For you benefit: Many of us throw documentation that is no longer needed away, same with other things. Is you house full to the ceiling with old receipts from Thai Customs and also Foodland and Robinson?

Edited by mokwit
  • Sad 1

It was a long time ago, but this is how DHL told me it works when I fought with them over an invoice for import duty on a duty exempt item - a book. They lay out all the packages on the floor and customs tell them the total duty payable. DHL then divide this figure amongst all the packages - this is how I got charged duty on a duty exempt item. 

Edited by mokwit

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

Look, I have been charged duty on duty exempt items by DHL (book and computer parts

Customs Heading 8741). 

I didn't keep the invoice in case someone on TV demanded proof or I was lying. MANY of us have had problems, particularly in the past when all you got was paperwork from a customs clearance agent.

On the time I got charged duty on duty exempt computer parts by DHL I got handed the official customs receipt, so what happened there? - when i send by normal post I do not get charged duty on duty exempt items.

Look...

What was the outcome of the reassessment when you queried the duty charges on the zero-rated items?    You do now that zero-rated for import duty items are not zero-rated for VAT?

"I didn't keep the invoice..."

Funny thing is that not one of the others who claim many instances of courier company corruption kept their receipts or took a photo of them, either, despite being allegedly screwed so many times.  Seems that neither did they didn't bother to query the charges which they are entitled to do!

"...particularly in the past when all you got was paperwork from a customs clearance agent".

Look, this is about alleged overcharging by courier companies on items bought online from overseas vendors and delivered by courier companies.  That's all.   I'm not commenting on problems with clearance agents or Customs officers, just the likes of DHL, FedEx etc.

"when i send by normal post I do not get charged duty on duty exempt items".

Of course, you don't.  You wouldn't be charged duty on zero-rated items by couriers either if you queried the duty.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Look, this is about alleged overcharging by courier companies on items bought online from overseas vendors and delivered by courier companies.  That's all.   I'm not commenting on problems with clearance agents or Customs officers, just the likes of DHL, FedEx etc.

I was referring to the time when what you got from DHL/FEDex/UPS was just the customs agent paperwork and no official customs paperwork like now.

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Funny thing is that not one of the others who claim many instances of courier company corruption kept their receipts or took a photo of them,

We are not as "Freudian" retentive as to keep or photograph spent invoices, as you seemingly must do if you think everyone else does.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Seems that neither did they didn't bother to query the charges which they are entitled to do!

I don't consider it worth my while to spend time doing this if it is a few hundred baht, also, and maybe this has changed, but it used to be that you could query the the duty but ONLY with the Customs dept that applied it and with no third party arbitration and if they found against you you were fined FIVE TIMES the duty charged and it is now a fine levied by the Govt, not duty you can refuse to pay but lose the item.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:
On 9/29/2021 at 1:58 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

"Personal electronics" are not zero-rated and, if Thailand Post pulls your item for inspection, import duty and VAT will be charged by them also.

I think it is far more likely to come under the duty exempt Heading 8741 for computer parts than personal electronics.

Laptop computers, specifically, are zero-rated, products that are not laptop computers, such as electronics, do not fall into the laptop computer category.

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Laptop computers, specifically, are zero-rated, products that are not laptop computers, such as electronics, do not fall into the laptop computer category.

You said they were "personal electronics" previously.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, mokwit said:
22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I was referring to the time when what you got from DHL/FEDex/UPS was just the customs agent paperwork and no official customs paperwork like now.

I am commenting on the specifics of the OP currently.

16 minutes ago, mokwit said:
19 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I didn't, I was quoting someone else* who referred to "personal electronics".

* TallGuyJohnInBKK, not me.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, mokwit said:
29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Seems that neither did they didn't bother to query the charges which they are entitled to do!

I don't consider it worth my while to spend time doing this if it is a few hundred baht, also, and maybe this has changed, but it used to be that you could query the the duty but ONLY with the Customs dept that applied it and with no third party arbitration and if they found against you you were fined FIVE TIMES the duty charged and it is now a fine levied by the Govt, not duty you can refuse to pay but lose the item.

Perhaps all the others who are complaining so strongly about courier company corruption didn't think it was worth the bother either but they did feel strongly enough about it to make allegations here constantly!

"it used to be that you could query the the duty but ONLY with the Customs dept that applied it and with no third party arbitration and if they found against you you were fined FIVE TIMES the duty charged"

That's still the case, Customs decides whether the correct rate has been used, not the couriers.  If the correct duty was applied the duty stands, you are not subject to a fine, never mind a 5X value fine, for requesting reassessment, even if the duty was correct.   You cannot be seriously suggesting that a reassessment that goes against you means you get fined five times the items value just for asking!    Maybe you're referring to fines for under-declaring an item's value which is a fineable offence.

19 minutes ago, mokwit said:
21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I did not, that was TallGuyJohnIn BKK who used that phrase.

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps all the others who are complaining so strongly about courier company corruption didn't think it was worth the bother either but they did feel strongly enough about it to make allegations here constantly!

So what is your problem with that? Seems perfectly reasonable not to spend a day at Customs for a few hundred baht but to warn others of the unpredictable nature of Customs charges. If you are going too tell us all again how they only ever apply the correct duty, DON'T.

Just now, mokwit said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So what is your problem with that? Seems perfectly reasonable not to spend a day at Customs for a few hundred baht but to warn others of the unpredictable nature of Customs charges. If you are going too tell us all again how they only ever apply the correct duty, DON'T.

I did not say that "they always apply the correct duty", I said that the duty applied is not up to them and that corrupt applications of duty that so many are complaining about are easily remedied and evidenced.

Import duty rates applied by couriers on items being sent into Thailand is all I am talking about, as per the OP, and those rates are defined by the Customs Dept, they are not "unpredictable", they are laid down in the regulations and if they're wrongly applied they can be corrected by asking for a reassessment.  That is what I am saying.  If you're saying that I'm saying anything else, DONT.

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

if they're wrongly applied they can be corrected by asking for a reassessment.

Kindly explain the procedure and the time this takes - there is a notice up in Phrakanong post office saying this takes 2 weeks.

Import duties are indeed laid down in law, but it seems they are open to interpretation by Customs officers and not always  in your favour. i have had some very nasty gouges of Bt 4,000 where they just slap on a maximum duty of 60%.

Edited by mokwit

8 minutes ago, mokwit said:
14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

if they're wrongly applied they can be corrected by asking for a reassessment.

Kindly explain the procedure and the time this takes - there is a notice up in Phrakanong post office saying this takes 2 weeks.

The procedure is that you ask for a reassessment, either at the Post Office or through the courier, whichever is delivering the item.   After reassessment the item has to be collected from Customs Dept.

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The procedure is that you ask for a reassessment, either at the Post Office or through the courier, whichever is delivering the item.   After reassessment the item has to be collected from Customs Dept.

So if you live in Bangkok you have to travel to Samut Prakaan after waiting a minimum 2 weeks for assessment? Not exactly a 'snip' is it? You have actually done this yourself and are speaking from experience, right? You just say "please can I have a reassessment" at the Post office and a well oiled machine springs into action?

Edited by mokwit
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mokwit said:
22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So if you live in Bangkok you have to travel to Samut Prakaan after waiting a minimum 2 weeks for assessment? Not exactly a 'snip' is it? You have actually done this yourself and are speaking from experience, right? You just say "please can I have a reassessment" at the Post office and a well oiled machine springs into action?

It does not say "a minimum of two weeks" does it?   

I queried the assessment on a watch sent in through the post on which the local post office assessed duty and VAT.   I spoke to the Customs Dept call centre and was advised of the procedure to appeal the assessment which involves collecting the item from whichever Customs office you're dealing with.

"You just say "please can I have a reassessment" at the Post office...?"

Yes, there's an appeal form to be completed and that and the item is sent to Customs for assessment.

Customs HQ is in Khlong Toei so I would imagine that's where you'd have to go.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

56 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It does not say "a minimum of two weeks" does it?   

I queried the assessment on a watch sent in through the post on which the local post office assessed duty and VAT.   I spoke to the Customs Dept call centre and was advised of the procedure to appeal the assessment which involves collecting the item from whichever Customs office you're dealing with.

"You just say "please can I have a reassessment" at the Post office...?"

Yes, there's an appeal form to be completed and that and the item is sent to Customs for assessment.

Customs HQ is in Khlong Toei so I would imagine that's where you'd have to go.

So you actually did it? All the way to completion? You can confirm that? How did it go?

yes it would be Khlong Toei.