Thai Government Provides over 230 Million Baht in Vaccination Compensation Program

snoop1130

8dacc3797060edb913cb7656ec72d292_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s National Health Security Office (NHSO) has approved 3,626 requests for the government’s no-fault compensation program for COVID-19 vaccine recipients since the launch of the program on May 19th.

NHSO secretary-general Dr. Jadej Thammatacharee said the office has paid over 230 million baht to 464 people or their families who have died or become severely and permanently disabled following COVID-19 vaccinations.

He said another 287 requests for compensation are still being examined by the NHSO’s area committees, tasked with inspecting reported COVID-19 vaccination adverse events and deciding on the compensation payment. 1,252 requests have been rejected after these area committees ruled that they did not fit the criteria for the receipt of financial compensation.

According to Dr. Jadej, the criteria are divided into three levels of the severity of reported side effects. Illness requiring continuous treatment is compensated at a maximum of 100,000 baht per case, while the maximum compensation for partial disability following COVID-19 vaccination is set at 240,000 baht and a maximum of 400,000 baht is offered in the case of death or severe permanent disability.

nnt.jpg
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

has approved 3,626

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

1,252 requests have been rejected

With 51.3M vaccinated does that mean there is a serious health risk in thailand from taking the vaccine between 0.007% and 0.0094%? Or is my math off?

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, JeezeLooeze said:

It's off. As of 27/9/21 WHO stats say 50mil doses administered. With 2 doses required assume 25mil Thais fully vaxed of which "464 people or their families who have died or become severely and permanently disabled". Assuming this data doesn't under report this gives a current conservative figure of 0.0018679% or inversely a 99,998% chance the vax will  not affect you seriously. Compare this with the current 16,620 C19 deaths in Thailand's 70mil population. Which gives a current survival rate of 99.9762% - or only a 0.0238% more chance of dying  of C19 than a jab. Given the miniscule differences in risk, gaining natural immunity after coming down with C19 seems a no-brainer as you won't require any booster shots or be able to infect others and better positioned to ward off any C19 variants.

I take your point, BrianThainess, and it is an interesting observation.  But personally, I think that in addition to the extreme consequence of dying, there is also the probability of getting a severe enough case that causes a lot of suffering and often hospitalization.  I think that those figures (which I think are much greater than the death probability) also need to be compared and taken into account when making a decision about the interest of taking the vaccine.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elcaro said:

With 51.3M vaccinated does that mean there is a serious health risk in thailand from taking the vaccine between 0.007% and 0.0094%? Or is my math off?

1 in 14,147 people ...... Less chance then guessing a 4 digit pin number.

Still seems high though..... ☹️ 

21 hours ago, JeezeLooeze said:

It's off. As of 27/9/21 WHO stats say 50mil doses administered. With 2 doses required assume 25mil Thais fully vaxed of which "464 people or their families who have died or become severely and permanently disabled". Assuming this data doesn't under report this gives a current conservative figure of 0.0018679% or inversely a 99,998% chance the vax will  not affect you seriously. Compare this with the current 16,620 C19 deaths in Thailand's 70mil population. Which gives a current survival rate of 99.9762% - or only a 0.0238% more chance of dying  of C19 than a jab. Given the miniscule differences in risk, gaining natural immunity after coming down with C19 seems a no-brainer as you won't require any booster shots or be able to infect others and better positioned to ward off any C19 variants.

Now you are comparing deaths with severe side effects. Having symptomatic covid is no walk in the park. And long covid is terrible

On 10/1/2021 at 8:24 AM, elcaro said:

I assume it is of all vaccines, why would they have different compensation programs

Seems like most Thais have been receiving Sinovac, very difficult for them to get Pfizer and Moderna. AstraZeneca is more readily available but not as widely distributed as Sinovac.

3 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Seems like most Thais have been receiving Sinovac, very difficult for them to get Pfizer and Moderna. AstraZeneca is more readily available but not as widely distributed as Sinovac.

I don't know the numbers but my wife who works in civil government had Sinovac in Mahasarakham. Her sister who is also in civil government and her daughter who isn't yet in civil government but who works in the same offices in Bangkok didn't have a Chinese vaccination. I think it was Pfizer but may have been AZ. Her daughter got hers first and then her sister and then my wife so being in civil government doesn't mean you get it first.