Insurance necessary for OA renewal?

Ubon Joe,

Sorry, I misspoke! I meant an extension of stay! Thanks. That is what I was hoping to hear. I am now married and wanted to change the extension reason to "marriage" but just learned that isn't possible with an OA. I had hoped to avoid the 800k, though I have it, I just didn't want to keep it in Thailand. No choice now as leaving the country and reentering on a different visa isn't really an option. Oh well. another covid snafu!! Thanks again.

Edited by Gtto
spelling

6 minutes ago, Gtto said:

I am now married and wanted to change the extension reason to "marriage" but just learned that isn't possible with an OA.

That is incorrect info you were given. You can apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage of a OA visa entry.

Many have done it to avoid the insurance requirements.

8 minutes ago, Gtto said:

Ubon joe<, I am confused. I am using an agent that tells me this is not now possible. I really don't know what to do at this point!

Agents dont like changing, so thats why they're telling you "Cannot do it" 

as UBJoe says it can be done

Bolt, So just go to CW and try it with all the papers? At this point I don't know if it matters because I already transferred the money and have the insurance. Still I would like to do it anyway though. 

Edited by Gtto
forgot to add words

52 minutes ago, Gtto said:

Ubon joe<, I am confused. I am using an agent that tells me this is not now possible. I really don't know what to do at this point!

No offense but your not 100% clear.

You mention that you used an agent for current extension based on retirement. 

Did you actually follow the financial requirements or did the agent "bypass" the money in bank requirements. 

If you did not adhere to financial requirements then that's the issue.

Be clear as to what the agent actually did for you for existing extension.

Dr Jack,

let me back up! My OA is good until November 11. I had enough money in the bank to cover the marriage extension because that is what I thought I needed. Now I was told that can’t be done so I got insurance and transferred more money but it won’t arrive for a few days which I believe will make it so that the money hasn’t been in the bank long enough! Had the agent, whom I have used before, told me that he couldn’t get a marriage extension for me, told ma that before I would have had all of this taken care of. He claims that when I asked him it was possible for him to do outside of BKK but not possible now. It makes my head explode!

5 minutes ago, Gtto said:

let me back up! My OA is good until November 11.

Ok, so what your saying is that prior to Nov 11 you will be obtaining first extension.

This next advice I'm not sure about and best wait for expert advice. @ubonjoe

I was under (vague) impression that the first extension to non O-A had to be based on retirement.

Dr Jack.

yeah. That is what I am doing. Unfortunately because I thought I only needed 400.000 in the bank the 800.000 will be there but not long enough so I have to deal with that. To make matters worse I just realized my visa expires on October 26th. I arrived in Thailand on November 11! I had a stroke a few months ago so I get a little fuzzy sometimes. This will all work out just going to cost me. I learned an important lesson though about trusting some people to do their job. 

Edited by Gtto
Spelling

20 minutes ago, Gtto said:

To make matters worse I just realized my visa expires on October 26th. I arrived in Thailand on November 11! I had a stroke a few months ago so I get a little fuzzy sometimes.

Your visas expiration date means nothing now since you are in the country already.

Look at your arrival stamp to see what day your permit to stay ends. I think it may be November 10th.

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife to get more time to have the money in the bank and then apply for the one year extension near the end of it.

I suggest though you to immigration to ask about applying for the one year extension based upon marriage. There is no written rule that says you cannot apply for it. It only a policy set by some immigration offices.

• Thanks 1

back again. Wife spoke to someone at immigration and they said that `I couldn't get a 60 day extension on an `OA. SORRY TO keep kicking this horse but I don't get any of this! Does anyone know why this is? ( I don't mean why I am not getting it. I realize I am being a littlle dense!)

5 minutes ago, Gtto said:

back again. Wife spoke to someone at immigration and they said that `I couldn't get a 60 day extension on an `OA. SORRY TO keep kicking this horse but I don't get any of this! Does anyone know why this is? ( I don't mean why I am not getting it. I realize I am being a littlle dense!)

You can get a 60 day extension to visit wife. Don't know what's going on.

Dr Jack.

Visit wife? That is the reason I give to them? Even though we have been living together? Forgive my lack of understanding. As I stated previously. I had a stroke a few months ago and my brain is a little strange since then!

Edited by Gtto
add text

9 minutes ago, Gtto said:

As I stated previously. I had a stroke a few months ago and my brain is a little strange since then

No worries. Hope you have swift recovery.

The term "extension to visit wife" can be misleading. However it's just a 60 day extension available to married folk.

Expert will be along to confirm that's indeed an option for you.

Heck, I can't even see why you couldn't obtain a covid extension to buy some time. It's also 60 days and can be applied up till Nov 26. The 60 days should be added onto your current permit expiry. 

11 hours ago, Gtto said:

Dr Jack.

Visit wife? That is the reason I give to them? Even though we have been living together? Forgive my lack of understanding. As I stated previously. I had a stroke a few months ago and my brain is a little strange since then!

Somebody has given out some false info to you. You can apply for the 60 day extension with anytype of visa entry.

Go to immigration with your wife (she has to be with you when you apply) with your marriage certificate plus a copy, copies your wife's house book registry and ID card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1