Thai Court rejects dual pricing case from expat in Hua Hin

webfact

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I too as like you knew what the outcome was going to be.

To answer your question above, in my opinion it's all about ducking and weaving to obtain the benefits of living here, one way depending on one's age and financial situation is to be insured, problem solved, charge what you want.

I also understand not everyone can fit into the above, but in my case thus far, it eliminates one of the ugly sides of dual pricing.

Are you sure that insurance premiums are not dual price ced if bought in Thailand?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk_bwana said:

Matters relating to the constitution cannot be decided by a provincial administrative court.  If he won, it would have been appealed. This case will follow due process and find it's way to the constitutional court. 

Foreigners have no rights under the Constitution.  

• Like 2

Interesting point. Special staff have to be hired for foreigners who can't speak Thai. Not sure I agree with it. 

Local discount happens everywhere, not just Thailand. 

3 years ago, I played golf with my brother in law, who is a member at Royal Melbourne golf club. I was charged 5,000 baht more than another guest from Sydney. 

I was also charged more than locals at Disneyworld. 

I was also charged more at a golf club in Scotland, despite being Scottish. They said I had to show I was a resident in the area. 

• Like 1

Seems a little bizarre for the judge to say it is not discrimination because it is good for Thailand. That in itself is discrimination.

However us farangs should not be too self righteous. The cost of a visa to get into UK for a Thai is enormous and the UK government could be assessed to have discriminated against the Thai by taking a substantial fee upfront even before arrival in our sunny uplands.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I'm going to rename this to 'rule of dumb'.

Imagine sitting in your multi national companies HQ meticulously researching which country in South East Asia to locate your new 5000+ employee manufacturing facility - then you read something like this....

The Bata Shoe Company used to have a factory in Thailand employing 5000 Thais. No more since many years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bkk_bwana said:

Matters relating to the constitution cannot be decided by a provincial administrative court.  If he won, it would have been appealed. This case will follow due process and find it's way to the constitutional court. 

As it is already in a provincial administrative court, it can be appealed to the Supreme Administrative Court, which has a pretty good reputation. I am not sure in the Thai legal system how a case can move from administrative courts to the constitutional court, or if it is even possible. It's very confusing, especially to outsiders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

As if there was ever going to be any other outcome... Thailand putting both feet in its mouth and highlighting its disregard for foreigners at an official level. 

Thailand’s handling of issues pertaining to foreigns is repeatedly clumsy and offensive.... I won’t go as far to suggest xenophobia and racism, but I understand those who think so. 

The message is clear - the presence of foreigners in Thailand is tolerated rather than welcomed. 

This has now set a president for any business owner in Thailand - Dual Charging is government sanctioned. 

It is news such as this which gives me pause to think - Is Thailand the correct place to live?

Well at least we agree on something! ????

One point that the Thai people in general fail to appreciate that in many cases it is not the foreigner who ends up paying.   Those of us who have a family here will, when we die, leave to that Thai family whatever is left in our estate.    They will end up the loosers.

I have recently needed a CT scan at a government hospital.   When booking the scan, we were told that it would cost Baht 17,000 but to bring a total of Baht 25,000 to cover total costs.   The bill charged turned out to be Baht 29,000 for the scan with the total coming over Baht 50,000.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Section 27 of the Thai  Consitution ...i guess even a foreigner is a person? 

All persons are equal before the law, and shall have rights and liberties and be protected equally under the law. Men and women shall enjoy equal rights. Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of differences in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic and social standing, religious belief, education, or political view which is not contrary to the provisions of the Constitution or on any other grounds, shall not be permitted.

I guess you didn't read the rest of it!