Thai Taxpayer Identification Number - Do I have to file yearly tax returns?

I'm considering requesting a Thai Taxpayer Identification Number, as I left my home country in 2020 and my investment broker and banks are asking me for new CRS (Common Reporting Standard) information.

I'm trying to keep my life simple and away from as much bureaucracy as possible. The only reason I want a TIN, is because the brokers and banks are quite insistent. 

If I request a TIN , does that mean I have to do yearly tax returns, even if I don't have any income in Thailand?

Edited by ujjain
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Getting a TIN does not mean you have to file tax returns.

Ubon Joe much respect for your knowledge over the years but just from my own experience even when I started my 1st job in October 2003 I still had to go to the amphur tax office to pay zero baht (as obviously way under the threshold for 3 months salary) and obtain a receipt for said zero baht. The University that I was working at the time were very insistent I do this. 

Joe, is this a case of zero income no 90 or 91 form to fill in? Cheers.

I just returned from the local tax office, but they told me, that I need a job in Thailand for a TIN and proof I make money coming to Thailand. My friend is retired and he got a TIN without problems, without any income in Thailand.

- I also have to bring printed proof of income (app is not enough). They talk about showing a work visa. 
- Fortunately, I realized that I could send them an exported PDF I already had saved on my laptop, I don't have a printer anyway.
- Later they say I need to have been here at least 180 days, I have been here 3 months. 

I guess this could be a valid reason for not giving me a TIN, but I had the feeling that she strongly preferred not giving me a TIN.

My friend called and they told her:

"2 ways, 1 get paid from Thai company or work here or 2 open a thai bank account and put some money in it with fixed deposit account. The amount of money depends on the bank. After that take your book bank and passport to one of the revenue office"

Some people on the forum said:

Passport (ID) and proof of address the only requirement. The revenue department should complete the form on your behalf. 15 minutes later your registered for online use with a TIN and password.

Edited by ujjain

47 minutes ago, briley said:

What if you only have income from bank interest?

You do not have to file a tax return for interest paid by a bank. 

If it is enough to make it worth your time you can file a return to get a refund for the taxes paid.

• Like 1

To the OP. I have just gone through a similar process to you with two financial institutions in the UK. You need to request a "Client Tax Residency Self Certification" form. Assuming you are using a Thai address, in the section where it says to provide a TIN for Thailand write "Not legally required". Write nothing else or they will reject the form as I found out.

They may or may not request proof of residency after they receive the form. I was 50/50. One  did not require any proof the other I got away with a translated and certified copy of my yellow book. This is what worked with my situation, yours may be different.

• Like 2

I recently moved from working in the Middle East to been retired in Thailand. My tax residence was previously Qatar and HSBC there had my TIN.

However when I moved and changed my permanent address to Thailand with my HSBC accounts in the UK and Hong Kong both banks required that I fill in a tax residence form again.

As advised from another reader on both forms under Thailand, TIN I simple wrote "Not Legally Required". This was after contacting both banks and explaining the situation regarding my status.

Both HSBC accounts are happy with this response.

Simple!!

Should this topic not be in another part of the forum...say jobs economy, banking or in the home country forum etc... since the question is about a foreign bank and tax residency and filing tax returns?

Edited by userabcd

17 hours ago, briley said:

I've just got about 1.5 Baht interest on which tax has been deducted. I got the impression that I had to do a return or face 200 Baht fine. Hopefully I am wrong.

I receive bank interest and In ten years I have never filed one and have never received a fine.

I have a expat friend who is on a low budget, files one and gets the tax refunded.

We have a small motel and a block of ten apartments in my wife’s name she didn’t register and got a small fine. 
Each year she now goes to the office with with the accounts and pays no tax.

20 hours ago, briley said:

The PND90 tax return form states that only if you don't accept the withheld (15%) tax on interest, you shall report it - same for dividends (10%) - i.e. if you accept the withheld interest tax you don't need to do anything.

The actual wording in English translation of PND90...

1. Interest, bill or debt instrument discount, which the taxpayer is the first holder
(if opt not to pay tax at the rate
of 15 percent)
2. Share of profits from mutual fund
(if opt not to pay tax at the rate
of 10 percent)

When I first payed tax to Thailand I got a tax ID. I also have this pink ID-card. The tax-ID number is different from my pink ID-number. The tax office told me then it should be the same, so I will change the tax ID number to be the same as on the pink card. From this it should be:

If you have a pink ID card, then you also have a tax ID, since those numbers should be the same.

6 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I receive bank interest and In ten years I have never filed one and have never received a fine.

I have a expat friend who is on a low budget, files one and gets the tax refunded.

We have a small motel and a block of ten apartments in my wife’s name she didn’t register and got a small fine. 
Each year she now goes to the office with with the accounts and pays no tax.

I think there was a new regulation regarding bank interest last year. Every account holder must make sure your tax-ID is connected to your bank accounts. Every bank must report interest paid on every account to the revenue department. 
Interest below 20.000 bath are exempted from tax, but banks are imposed to withhold  15% tax on interest. If your account is connected to your tax ID you can claim that tax back (before I think you just got a document from the bank and used that to claim back).

If you pay tax to Thailand you can in no 90/91 claim interest back, or take it as part of your total tax if the interest is below 20.000 bath.
I read this on Sherrings early in 2021. If it is confusing what I have read, you should look up Sherrings on the net.

29 minutes ago, Geir Rasch said:

When I first payed tax to Thailand I got a tax ID. I also have this pink ID-card. The tax-ID number is different from my pink ID-number. The tax office told me then it should be the same, so I will change the tax ID number to be the same as on the pink card. From this it should be:

If you have a pink ID card, then you also have a tax ID, since those numbers should be the same.

I have a pink card. I have a tax-ID number. They are different.

OP, my advice to you is to see a tax accountant who specializes with foreigners.

They will tell you precisely what you need to know. The first interview should be free.

You may well find out that you don't need to pay tax if you don't want to. Personally I choose to do it for various reasons, and taxes are low anyway. I mean, very low.

6 minutes ago, Geir Rasch said:

Same as me, so it should be changed according to my local tax office.

I never deal with the tax office myself, I use an accountant. They are the ones who assigned me the tax ID number, I suppose if it was a requirement they would know. Anyway, as long as I have a PND_90 form to show when needed, I am happy.

7 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

OP, my advice to you is to see a tax accountant who specializes with foreigners.

They will tell you precisely what you need to know. The first interview should be free.

You may well find out that you don't need to pay tax if you don't want to. Personally I choose to do it for various reasons, and taxes are low anyway. I mean, very low.

Can you help me with the correct search terms in Google for finding one in Chiang Mai?

3 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

I never deal with the tax office myself, I use an accountant. They are the ones who assigned me the tax ID number, I suppose if it was a requirement they would know. Anyway, as long as I have a PND_90 form to show when needed, I am happy.

When you pay tax, if you do it yourself or via others, you will always get a tax ID the first time. Tax office does not know if you have a pink ID card, so they just assign you any number that is not being used by others. When thais pay tax they use their thai ID-card number because every thai need to have one.
There is no problem connected to having different numbers, so you can continue doing that. Point is, for thai officials it is more convenient to have only one number. So I guess it is up to you what you do, but people asking what their tax ID number is, they can use the pink ID-card number.

4 hours ago, Geir Rasch said:

I think there was a new regulation regarding bank interest last year. Every account holder must make sure your tax-ID is connected to your bank accounts. Every bank must report interest paid on every account to the revenue department. 
Interest below 20.000 bath are exempted from tax, but banks are imposed to withhold  15% tax on interest. If your account is connected to your tax ID you can claim that tax back (before I think you just got a document from the bank and used that to claim back).

If you pay tax to Thailand you can in no 90/91 claim interest back, or take it as part of your total tax if the interest is below 20.000 bath.
I read this on Sherrings early in 2021. If it is confusing what I have read, you should look up Sherrings on the net.

Thanks for the information I will follow it up.