Air con not working 100%

Kenny202

Got a reasonably new Samsung air con, about  3 years old. regularly serviced. The external filter is clean, I took it off this morning to see if it made a difference. Not much if any. Last few days seems to be really struggling. Has been a bit hotter where we are but no more than 35 or so and this thing normally goes well even up to 40 degrees. I read the instructions and checked the remote....everything is set right, its not on comfort or anything. We normally have it set on about 27 and works well. Last few days on about 20 and still seems like its not properly cooling. Like the compressor is cycling and getting cool air coming out but obviously for not long enough.

One thing I did notice the other day was a bit of water dripping out the front of it (in the room), like the water wasn't getting away properly. Maybe some gunk in there or something. And the remote stopped working for a couple of days too. It was last week with the rain when it was really humid. 

I have since gone outside and blown through the pipe. Seemed blocked at first then gave way and a fair bit of water ran out, then the pipe was clear. Would this effect the cooling in anyway if the water was sitting in the bottom of the unit and not getting away down the pipe?

7 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

was a bit of water dripping out the front of it (in the room), like the water wasn't getting away properly.

The blockage likely is not in the drain pipe outside but in the hose/pan inside the unit in the house. You need to either take the thing apart (messy) and use some compressed air/water or shop vac to clear the drain line -or- have a service person do it. There is a tray that will fill up when the unit is not draining properly, this is what is overflowing. If your drain is located on the right side when you take the cover off you'll see a plug on the exact opposite side, removing this plug will drain the tray. Perhaps the tray became full with an outside line blockage and still has some water in it (can happen if the unit is not leveled correctly slightly down to the drain side.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

The blockage likely is not in the drain pipe outside but in the hose/pan inside the unit in the house. You need to either take the thing apart (messy) and use some compressed air/water or shop vac to clear the drain line -or- have a service person do it. There is a tray that will fill up when the unit is not draining properly, this is what is overflowing. If your drain is located on the right side when you take the cover off you'll see a plug on the exact opposite side, removing this plug will drain the tray. Perhaps the tray became full with an outside line blockage and still has some water in it (can happen if the unit is not leveled correctly slightly down to the drain side.

Service guy coming next week so I wont be going to far with it. He comes and cleans it every 3 or 4 months, not sure if he is an actual tech or not. Would a blockage in the water drain effect performance? Is the temp sensor down there or something? Certainly seems to be doing better last 30 mins anyway

Just now, Kenny202 said:

Service guy coming next week so I wont be going to far with it. He comes and cleans it every 3 or 4 months, not sure if he is an actual tech or not. Would a blockage in the water drain effect performance? Is the temp sensor down there or something? Certainly seems to be doing better last 30 mins anyway

It could..depends on where the water is dripping inside. Yeah...I'm like you...I did it at first more  out of curiosity, now I get them in 3 times a year to clean everything out. Too much hassle and quite a mess if you don't have the proper tools.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Seemed blocked at first then gave way and a fair bit of water ran out, then the pipe was clear. Would this effect the cooling in anyway if the water was sitting in the bottom of the unit and not getting away down the pipe?

No  the evaporate overflow pipe will not effect the cooling...my  guess is it needs a good clean of the condenser ( outdoor radiator) and evaporator ( indoor radiator)  and  maybe coolant level could be low   which means there is a leak some where in the system...also I see you say the remote stopped working...was there thunder and lightning ?   and is the aircon an inverter ?   if so maybe some electronic damage.

1 minute ago, Kenny202 said:

If you get it done that frequently then your service guy is doing a terrible job as it should not get clogged that quickly & no the full drain tray is not the problem.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Would a blockage in the water drain effect performance?

A blockage of drain water will not affect the cooling or operation .....   it just causes water drips everywhere.

I have blocked drainage cleared before, and filters cleaned etc .....  

It can only be coolant is down so it may need gasing again or gas leaks out or a faulty sensor or blocked filtering system ( which is pretty simple )  ......   

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

A blockage of drain water will not affect the cooling or operation .....   it just causes water drips everywhere.

I have blocked drainage cleared before, and filters cleaned etc .....  

It can only be coolant is down so it may need gasing again or gas leaks out or a faulty sensor or blocked filtering system ( which is pretty simple )  ......   

The proverbial ‘Coolant Leak’ faulty diagnosis.

low coolant will in almost all cases cause the radiator to freeze up. Yes some AC units are badly installed the majority are not. Badly cleaned units will not function correctly.

when you see hoof prints look for horses not zebras.