Are you still able to live comfortably?

georgegeorgia

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Crikey, guy lost a tooth! 

Do you have any missing teeth (Wisdom ones aside & that’s not a dig but we all lose them in our 20/30s).

if not, try chewing on 1 side of your mouth for the next few years & tell me it doesn’t matter.  

Edited by Mike Teavee

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Crikey, guy lost a tooth! 

So did I. Dependent on where you lose it; it can affect your ability to chew. If you cannot chew your food properly... then maybe you move the food to the other side of your mouth. That puts undue strain on the other teeth, leading to more problems....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

What kind of lives did they lead? 

There are some who came for the girls and who simply did not care about their health and there are some who came for health reasons.

Not a criticism. Not everyone's life allows for making healthy choices. 

Lifestyle doesn't seem to have made a difference,

I was a fitness nutcase, trail running and cycling in the mountains until age 63 when my health took a turn for the worse.

Couple of drunks died early (in their 40's), for obvious reasons, liver failure, m/c accident.

Two died falling in the shower, 1 balcony fall (ages 50-70).

Another three of cancer (one 50 died quick, one 70 died slow spending all his savings).

One died in his sleep (under 50, no reason given, no history of ill health)

One from AIDS after a years intensive care in a top London hospital (age 59).

One of a stroke in his sleep (age 70, previously had minor strokes).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I was a fitness nutcase, trail running and cycling in the mountains until age 63 when my health took a turn for the worse.

Couple of drunks died early (in their 40's), for obvious reasons, liver failure, m/c accident.

Another three of cancer (one 50 died quick, one 70 died slow spending all his savings).

Live long and prosper ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

So did I. Dependent on where you lose it; it can affect your ability to chew. If you cannot chew your food properly... then maybe you move the food to the other side of your mouth. That puts undue strain on the other teeth, leading to more problems....

CD7BF748-3AE9-49FB-93C4-B44CB6D466C1.thumb.png.be30a21ae766cac79792ca50675d59c1.png

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Here’s hoping you buck the trend… even if it’s only to call me out when I make a crappy post ????????

Apologies for taking this thread down the “Teeth” track, my intention was to point out (the obvious) that we all have different ideas in our minds when thinking about “Living Comfortably” & put different values on things.

At the risk of starting another diversion was chatting with my mate last night who was taking the p155 out of me for paying 7K to an agent to do my annual extension…

You smoke right - Yes

How Many - About a pack a day

How Much - about 150 THB a pack…

So about 54k pa & I’m the idiot? 

(NB I’m not anti-smoker, just another example of how we all choose to spend our money on different things).

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

I don't agree. It depends on your circumstances. If you are seventy and in good shape; you could have many years of comfortable eating in front of you. As opposed to years of discomfort.

If you can afford it; then why compromise on your quality of life? I am not referring to luxuries, but things that can genuinely improve the quality of day to day living.

Totally agree. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One only has to look to the fall of Rome to see the equivalence. In a while, the willing unemployed will be out of luck ( along with the rest of those living in the country at the time ).

As I write, the chickens are getting ready to return home to roost.

The gravy train just can't keep continuing to roll on.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Turns out the "Stub" holding my crown had cracked so I needed the tooth extracting & at this point have an option to... 

- Do nothing, tooth will eventually work it's way out

- Have it extracted (1,500 THB) & leave it as is

- Get a "Bridge" (No idea of the cost, had 1 once, never again)

- Get an Implant (55-90K)

If it doesn't hurt, I'd do nothing and see what happens.

I never had my broken tooth crowned and it's been fine (and unchanged) for 12 years.

10 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

In Bangkok this weekend (It's like Covid never happened in some places) & the night before we came I felt like one of my teeth was moving a little so booked to go see my Dentist here. 

Turns out the "Stub" holding my crown had cracked so I needed the tooth extracting & at this point have an option to... 

- Do nothing, tooth will eventually work it's way out

- Have it extracted (1,500 THB) & leave it as is

- Get a "Bridge" (No idea of the cost, had 1 once, never again)

- Get an Implant (55-90K)

My idea of "Living Comfortably" is to be able to choose the last option & it not impact my life too much but a guy on another forum was in exactly the same situation & chose option 1 (he had to as he couldn't afford anything else) whilst telling us all what a great life he was living... 

Again, it's to each his own.... 

As another member suggested going to India for treatment on his eyes, I have friends in Vietnam who speak highly of the dental work there.  

I've never needed any dental work here in Thailand, but a random Google search shows of Feb 2020 an implant is around 32,000 baht in Vietnam, according to this website.

It's just a short flight away, and apparently, Vietnam dental tourism is becoming quite popular.  

https://www.dentaldepartures.com/info/dental-implants/vietnam

Edited by Leaver

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As long as the politicians can use other people's money ( tax ) to "bribe" their way to power, IMO nothing will change till it's too late.

Our Glad... Ex NSW Premiercan vouch for that! 

Can someone please explain to me how saving $1000 a month for 35 years gets you $2million ? By my maths that’s $420k are you saying the 8% interest would make up over $1.5 million ? And where is paying 8% interest ? 

Edited by chrisandsu

46 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Compound interest calculator .........

http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator/compound_interest_calculator.htm

$1000/month for 35 years at 8%pa = $2,233,225

In the 35 year period I worked (1970-2005) 8% interest (or more) was easily achievable.

My private pension company increased my pension payments by 9%/year for me delaying taking my pension for 4 years (2016-2020) and they ain't a charity so it must have been worth it for them.

Thanks . I didn’t think the 8% was possible . I have gone the property route but this certainly seems an alternative . 

1 minute ago, chrisandsu said:

Thanks . I didn’t think the 8% was possible . I have gone the property route but this certainly seems an alternative . 

8% may be currently impossible for us, but it probably isn't impossible for a large financial institution.

Especially for one that profits from your early death, quite a lot of people paying into pensions never collect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisandsu said:

Can someone please explain to me how saving $1000 a month for 35 years gets you $2million ? By my maths that’s $420k are you saying the 8% interest would make up over $1.5 million ? And where is paying 8% interest ? 

My super fund averages 9.8% over a ten year period. Last year saw return of 18.3%.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 3:11 AM, The Cipher said:

Honest question, how much do you guys save a month? Or like, what would you consider a normal amount of monthly savings?

I'm not trying to come across like a jerk, but I'm always a little surprised that there are so many people who are in the situation quoted above.

if you save just $1,000 a month ($12k/yr) starting at age 30 and invest it at 8% net, you'll retire at 65 with over $2M in savings. If you change that $1,000 to just $500, you'd still make it to over $1M in the same timeframe.

You do come over as one 

On 10/1/2021 at 3:11 AM, The Cipher said:

Honest question, how much do you guys save a month? Or like, what would you consider a normal amount of monthly savings?

I never saved anything, just paid my NI for the UK state pension and my company deducted for a private pension.

Just paid 4kGBP in missed NI payments which bought me an extra 25 pounds/week on my UK state pension.

Now I just need to live another 4 years to get it back, bit of a gamble, but if I die I wouldn't have spent the 4k anyway.

8 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

I went the property route, and let the renters build my equity for about 15 yrs, then sold the properties, rolled over to trading stocks (self taught), then 5 yrs later retired.

Actually did quite well.  Made more money after retirement, than all my salaried years ... ????

Being a LPOS, never really made much in those 25 ish yrs of being salaried.  Preferred self employment better, as paid better.  Plus got to work 2 days a week on average.

Could have retired a lot earlier, but was simply having too much fun.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I went the property route, and let the renters build my equity for about 15 yrs, then sold the properties, rolled over to trading stocks (self taught), then 5 yrs later retired.

Actually did quite well.  Made more money after retirement, than all my salaried years ... ????

Being a LPOS, never really made much in those 25 ish yrs of being salaried.  Preferred self employment better, as paid better.  Plus got to work 2 days a week on average.

Could have retired a lot earlier, but was simply having too much fun.

I’m 41 and it’s just dawned on me to get my butt into gear ! I only want to work another 10 years if it’s possible . What would you guys recommend to speed the process up ? 

2 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

I’m 41 and it’s just dawned on me to get my butt into gear ! I only want to work another 10 years if it’s possible . What would you guys recommend to speed the process up ? 

Any equity built up ? Do you own RE ?