Are you still able to live comfortably?

georgegeorgia

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Anyone that even gets a pension in LOS, frozen or not should thank the deity. Some of us couldn't get zip and had to leave paradise for cold sad countries. I miss sanuk.

Do you not get any form of UK pension from the time you spent working at the NHS? 

I believe Australia is decent towards UK pensioners so even though their pensions are frozen there they get an increase from The Australian government. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Mike Teavee said:

Do you not get any form of UK pension from the time you spent working at the NHS? 

I believe Australia is decent towards UK pensioners so even though their pensions are frozen there they get an increase from The Australian government. 

Oz only allows one state pension, they collect your Brit pension for you and use that money to pay your OZ state pension.

Don't know about NZ.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

For interest sake as I'm not in LOS, how much on top of normal expenses is covid costing? That is cost of testing, vaccines and anything to do with it that wouldn't cost if corona never happened?

Thanks.

Nothing extra for myself, as not vax'd, no tests, and actually saving money, as not out & about at the moment.  More because of a house build rather than C19.  As soon as house done, back on the road.????

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I get a pension from the UK for the time I lived there, but as it is based on qualifying years it isn't enough to live on. While in NZ it is taken in its entirety by the NZ government which makes up the balance to an amount that one can survive on. If I left NZ permanently, I get no pension from NZ at all, and the UK pension amount is insufficient to live on anywhere.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I pay 28bht for my Full Moon wine coolers, still the same price as I paid in 2010.

Which reminds me, none left in the fridge, need to visit the booze store.

Yes, it's 27 baht for the wine, and 1 baht for the cooler.  ????

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Have to say I’ve gone from 6-8 bottles a week (this in Singapore) to the occasional bottle every now & again (have a Jacobs Creek Chardonnay on ice for later, 666 THB from the 7-11 but makes a nice holiday treat - Before anybody says otherwise I wouldn’t drink JC Chardonnay by choice either but I’d rather be drinking that on a beach in Koh Chang that better plonk in a London restaurant). 

I Googled "Jacobs Creek Chardonnay Australia" and seen it for sale in this shop in Australia.

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_31405/jacob-s-creek-classic-chardonnay

It may or may not be the bottle you have purchased, I am sure they make many, but it's going for $7.95AUD in Australia.

Xe.com has $7.95AUD at 190 baht, so at 666 baht, which is $27.80AUD, that's quite a mark up.  

Edited by Leaver

42 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I Googled "Jacobs Creek Chardonnay Australia" and seen it for sale in this shop in Australia.

It may or may not be the bottle you have purchased, I am sure they make many, but it's going for $7.95AUD in Australia.

Xe.com has $7.95AUD at 190 baht, so at 666 baht, which is $27.80AUD, that's quite a mark up.  

So much for that FTA signed way back when.  Remember local Aussies at the time, noticing the new prices after signed .... going up instead of down ????  Not much if anything coming from OZ that I buy.

20 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

So much for that FTA signed way back when.  Remember local Aussies at the time, noticing the new prices after signed .... going up instead of down ????  Not much if anything coming from OZ that I buy.

Good point.

An FTA with Thailand is not worth the paper it's written on.  

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

It’s a “Vintage” (2019) so probably all of $9 AUD… 

18FF9545-D8E2-4177-A48E-7AD0E121DEF7.jpeg

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I pay 28bht for my Full Moon wine coolers, still the same price as I paid in 2010.

Which reminds me, none left in the fridge, need to visit the booze store.

Haha, those are awful. Even my Mrs stopped drinking them!

• Haha 2

On 11/12/2021 at 9:45 PM, KhunLA said:

I bought Fountain BBQ sauce which IMO is the best I ever had. Other than that, Oz doesn't register much with me.