Are you still able to live comfortably?

georgegeorgia

6 hours ago, fredscats said:

Specifically I am not looking for bladed surgery,but powered eye surgery,In conversation with out patient Ruthin,they not only do not do it,but never heard of it,also near/far sight adjusted same op

One of the first questions I was asked in my initial consultation.

From the guy that did my eyes.

http://www.banphaeoeyecenter.com/en_story.htm

On 10/24/2021 at 8:02 PM, Mike Teavee said:

Couldn't agree more, never forget the time I was kicked out of "6 form" [in my defence I got hooked on computers so stoped attending the classes I was supposed to be studying] & said to my mum that I was just going to "Sign On" (most of my mates at the time were)... 

I got kicked out of the house & sent to the job centre & told not to come back until I got a job.

Never claimed a penny from the government & (apart from whatever i get as a State Pension) I hope I never willl... But I still contribute (in terms of AVCs & any taxes I still pay on income from UK) as I believe it's important to give back to what I did get from them (a great Education being just one). 

Is it right that those who have never contributed a quid in their life get access to all the services, and those that have contributed a considerable amount over their working life don't get access, simply because they are no longer in the UK, despite many still contributing in the UK despite being abroad?  

Edited by Leaver

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It was your choice to leave, knowing in advance of the rules,

Yes, I just happen to disagree with the policy.  

It very well may become an election issue in the future, as more and more leave the UK in retirement.  

In any case, as said before, once I step off the plane in the UK, I become a resident again.  ????  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

Is it right that those who have never contributed a quid in their life get access to all the services, and those that have contributed a considerable amount over their working life don't get access, simply because they are no longer in the UK, despite many still contributing in the UK despite being abroad?  

Nothing to do with right or wrong, but of the law, and does anyone believe the law is fair?

Want to change it, then change the law.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Rhetorical question I know, but no it's not right at all (Though I do believe that people who are genuinely unable to work should be supported by those who can - Remember watching a TV show that explained how UK Social Security came about & compared how the same people who claimed it in the early days would be today, the only people who would be worse off today were the handicapped, the scroungers are all quids in).

But those are the rules & if we want to change them we need to vote in a different set of clowns that agree with us. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Confused 1

On 10/29/2021 at 4:31 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Nothing to do with right or wrong, but of the law, and does anyone believe the law is fair?

Want to change it, then change the law.

And how do you change a law / policy?  You make it an election / vote issue, which is what I suggested.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 5:40 AM, Mike Teavee said:

Rhetorical question I know, but no it's not right at all (Though I do believe that people who are genuinely unable to work should be supported by those who can - Remember watching a TV show that explained how UK Social Security came about & compared how the same people who claimed it in the early days would be today, the only people who would be worse off today were the handicapped, the scroungers are all quids in).

But those are the rules & if we want to change them we need to vote in a different set of clowns that agree with us. 

The problem is, benefits became a lifestyle choice for many, not something to fall back on whilst looking for a job.  Generous benefits has removed the incentive to work for many.

The problem now is, there are so many on benefits that no political party can bring in any policy that reduces the money or puts a tougher criteria to meet before getting benefits.

In effect, those who have never worked, nor ever will, hold the country to ransom, as they now make up a huge percentage of the voter base. 

What future does a country have when that is the case?  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

The problem is, benefits became a lifestyle choice for many, not something to fall back on whilst looking for a job.  Generous benefits has removed the incentive to work for many.

The problem now is, there are so many on benefits that no political party can bring in any policy that reduces the money or puts a tougher criteria to meet before getting benefits.

In effect, those who have never worked, nor ever will, hold the country to ransom, as they now make up a huge percentage of the voter base. 

What future does a country have when that is the case?  

One only has to look to the fall of Rome to see the equivalence. In a while, the willing unemployed will be out of luck ( along with the rest of those living in the country at the time ).

As I write, the chickens are getting ready to return home to roost.

• Haha 1

In Bangkok this weekend (It's like Covid never happened in some places) & the night before we came I felt like one of my teeth was moving a little so booked to go see my Dentist here. 

Turns out the "Stub" holding my crown had cracked so I needed the tooth extracting & at this point have an option to... 

- Do nothing, tooth will eventually work it's way out

- Have it extracted (1,500 THB) & leave it as is

- Get a "Bridge" (No idea of the cost, had 1 once, never again)

- Get an Implant (55-90K)

My idea of "Living Comfortably" is to be able to choose the last option & it not impact my life too much but a guy on another forum was in exactly the same situation & chose option 1 (he had to as he couldn't afford anything else) whilst telling us all what a great life he was living... 

Again, it's to each his own.... 

Edited by Mike Teavee

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

In Bangkok this weekend (It's like Covid never happened in some places) & the night before we came I felt like one of my teeth was moving a little so booked to go see my Dentist here. 

Turns out the "Stub" holding my crown had cracked so I needed the tooth extracting & at this point have an option to... 

- Do nothing, tooth will eventually work it's way out

- Have it extracted (1,500 THB) & leave it as is

- Get a "Bridge" (No idea of the cost, had 1 once, never again)

- Get an Implant (55-90K)

My idea of "Living Comfortably" is to be able to choose the last option & it not impact my life too much but a guy on another forum was in exactly the same situation & chose option 1 (he had to as he couldn't afford anything else) whilst telling us all what a great life he was living... 

Again, it's to each his own.... 

Implants from 45k. (edit: Just noted that you wrote Bangkok...which indeed will be from around 55k.)

On the other hand I know reasonably wealthy people here(not going to be too specific) who baulk at having to pay for an implant; subsequently also choosing option one.

It's a choice as to how to spend one's money. Maybe the poster on the other forum chooses to spend his money on other things.

I will happily choose a discounted item and then give the money that I saved to someone who needs it more than I at that time.

That's my choice and I am comfortable with that. But to you it might look like I am a Cheap Charlie rifling through the discount section.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Implants from 45k.

On the other hand I know reasonably wealthy people here(not going to be too specific) who baulk at having to pay for an implant; subsequently also choosing option one.

It's a choice as to how to spend one's money. Maybe the poster on the other forum chooses to spend his money on other things.

I will happily choose a discounted item and then give the money that I saved to someone who needs it more than I at that time.

That's my choice and I am comfortable with that. But to you it might look like I am a Cheap Charlie rifling through the discount section.

I don't think you're a cheap Charlie at all (In fact I applaud you for the way you think), but what I was trying to say was that we all have different views on what it means to "Live Comfortably" 

Lol, same guy bought an 8K TV for 160K+ (I'd shown him a very nice one at 20K but it wasn't up to his standards) & is up to 40K on his latest PC build project, but taking care of his health is too expensive... 

Again, it's to each his own... 

Edited by Mike Teavee

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

I don't think you're a cheap Charlie at all (In fact I applaud you for the way you think), but what I was trying to say was that we all have different views on what it means to "Live Comfortably" 

Lol, same guy bought an 8K TV for 160K+ (I'd shown him a very nice one at 20K but it wasn't up to his standards) & is up to 40K on his latest PC build project, but Health Insurance is too expensive... 

He sounds more like he is afraid of the dentist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bruno123 said:

He sounds more like he is afraid of the dentist.

Could be... For me I view it as a necessary evil after going through 18 months of treatment "Getting my Smile Back" (All caused by that Bridge I had done 5-6 years ago).

The Dentist even joked to my GF that I'm a very good patient as I just sat there for 2 hours while he worked his socks off digging the remains of the tooth out...  

BTW I didn't comment on the post about that Studio Condo you shared but (obviously as I live in that area) know the condo building & that is an awesome price for there, I'd keep that one to myself if I were you (It's hard enough to find a unit in that building never mind one at that price). 

13 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Could be... For me I view it as a necessary evil after going through 18 months of treatment "Getting my Smile Back" (All caused by that Bridge I had done 5-6 years ago).

The Dentist even joked to my GF that I'm a very good patient as I just sat there for 2 hours while he worked his socks off digging the remains of the tooth out...  

BTW I didn't comment on the post about that Studio Condo you shared but (obviously as I live in that area) know the condo building & that is an awesome price for there, I'd keep that one to myself if I were you (It's hard enough to find a unit in that building never mind one at that price). 

I used to be the afraid, until I found a good dentist. She dug out the remains of more than one bad tooth. Now I have implants. ????

Not sure about the apartment availability. They seemed to be advertising them for 3.8k recently enough. I really posted it for guys on a budget to show that they can have a reasonably comfortable life away from the squalid centre.

I'm not the type to kick someone when they are down.

36 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Lol, same guy bought an 8K TV for 160K+ (I'd shown him a very nice one at 20K but it wasn't up to his standards) & is up to 40K on his latest PC build project, but taking care of his health is too expensive... 

How is this guys health effected by not opting for implant! 

Just now, Bruno123 said:

I used to be the afraid, until I found a good dentist. She dug out the remains of more than one bad tooth. Now I have implants. ????

Not sure about the apartment availability. They seemed to be advertising them for 3.8k recently enough. I really posted it for guys on a budget to show that they can have a reasonably comfortable life away from the squalid centre.

I'm not the type to kick someone when they are down.

Lol, my GF used to joke that I was only going to see my Dentist so much because he was handsome & gay (nothing wrong with that, just not my cup of tea) but 1 of the times she didn't come with me, his stand in was a stunningly beautiful Thai lady so I couldn't wait to go back (never seen her since ???? 

Check out that condo on somewhere like Hipflat, there's 1 unit similar & they're asking 20K... I know when I was looking that building had zero units for rent on the sites that I was using... 

1 minute ago, Olmate said:

How is this guys health effected by not opting for implant! 

How is it not affected?  From not being able to chew properly to the fact that the teeth around it will start to "Migrate" towards the gap & cause future problems for the rest of the mouth to the fact that it becomes ground zero for infections... 

But again, the point of my posts is it's up to each of us to choose how we spend our resources he chose to spend his on a new TV - Good Luck to him. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

How is it not affected?  From not being able to chew properly to the fact that the teeth around it will start to "Migrate" towards the gap & cause future problems for the rest of the mouth to the fact that it becomes ground zero for infections... 

But again, the point of my posts is it's up to each of us to choose how we spend our resources he chose to spend his on a new TV - Good Luck to him. 

Yep, I can see u love your dentist.!! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Would depend on the person's age.

At age 20 an implant is probably worthwhile, at age 70 not so much.

It would also depend on nationality,

Americans seem obsessed with their teeth, Brits not so much.

I had a broken back tooth at age 45, Russian dentist said if it doesn't hurt, leave it alone.

At age 55, I had an abscess, cured in Thailand with a root canal.

Never bothered to get it crowned, a few bits have broken off, but now age 66 and it's still working. I could have wasted a fortune on removal/crown/implant, but it'll probably laast me until I'm dead.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Good point, at 55 I still think it's a worthwhile investment maybe me at 70 would choose more Chang or a new TV ???? 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't agree. It depends on your circumstances. If you are seventy and in good shape; you could have many years of comfortable eating in front of you. As opposed to years of discomfort.

If you can afford it; then why compromise on your quality of life? I am not referring to luxuries, but things that can genuinely improve the quality of day to day living.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

You think people have a shorter life expectancy once they move here??

ALL my white foreign pals living in Thailand have died by 70, one reached age 70 (Dave2), but most died in their 50s and 60s. I'm the last man standing at age 66, and I suspect I won't make 70.

Edited by BritManToo

4 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

I don't agree. It depends on your circumstances. If you are seventy and in good shape; you could have many years of comfortable eating in front of you. As opposed to years of discomfort.

If you can afford it; then why compromise on your quality of life? I am not referring to luxuries, but things that can genuinely improve the quality of day to day living.

Crikey, guy lost a tooth! 

• Haha 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

ALL my white foreign pals living in Thailand have died, one reached age 70 (Dave2), most in their 50s and 60s.

What kind of lives did they lead? 

There are some who came for the girls and who simply did not care about their health and there are some who came for health reasons.

Not a criticism. Not everyone's life allows for making healthy choices. 

• Like 2