Electric vehicles of all kinds

Kanada

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

How hard would it be (not very) to integrate charging ports at a portion of the allotted parking.  It's being done worldwide, quite easily.  One aspect of Thailand being 3rd world ... but with many modern conveniences.

Installing charge ports would be relatively easy, even assuming the electrical service needs to be upgraded to cover the increase in capacity. 

The concern (I think) is that you would still have to fossil fuel to provide the electricity. 

Also, every port would have to have either a separate meter/account or run through the condo's meter, which would likely be a nightmare. 

5 hours ago, LarrySR said:

A vast majority of cars average well under 50 miles per day. 
Most EV users never will need to charge the batteries during their excursions.

Installing a simple wall outlet is all that is needed as the cars are delivered with adapters. 

You do understand what average means, yes? I think it safe to assume that most days a single charge would be enough, and you can use your car. Other days? Not so much.

Gas cars always need to find a station, stop and refuel. 

Of course if you regularly journey 7 hours per day then you will need to recharge. 
The cars info screen will display all the stations within range. 
Superchargers will provide 80% charge in 20 minutes.
Facilities like restaurants, shopping centers and hotels will be installing chargepoints if they have any business acumen. 

Indeed.

28 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You do understand what average means, yes? I think it safe to assume that most days a single charge would be enough, and you can use your car. Other days? Not so much.

Indeed.

I don’t know what you’re doing here on the electric car discussion. Shouldn’t you be over on the climate change denier thread talking with your buddies about how dumb the scientists are or how much you admire the environmental policies of the Exxon Corporation or how coal mines are gonna make America great again. 

Edited by LarrySR

2 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

I don’t know what you’re doing here on the electric car discussion. Shouldn’t you be over on the climate change denier thread talking with your buddies about how dumb the scientists are or how much you admire the environmental policies of the Exxon Corporation or how coal mines are gonna make America great again. 

Oh, that reminds me, I'm still waiting for a link to one of the "press releases" you claim big oil puts out daily.....

Unless you were lying, which of course I am sure you were not. I don't doubt for a moment those links are forthcoming, as I can't imagine someone as well informed as you would have to resort to making stuff up...

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Oh, that reminds me, I'm still waiting for a link to one of the "press releases" you claim big oil puts out daily.....

It is on its way to you as we speak - on one of those battery powered aircraft don't you know !!!

Called - I think - the Duracell Flyer.

Edited by seedy

9 hours ago, seedy said:

It is on its way to you as we speak - on one of those battery powered aircraft don't you know !!!

Called - I think - the Duracell Flyer.

There are plenty of battery aircraft taking the skies.

But I don't expect a member of the red hat brigade to believe in science, facts or logic.

Edited by LarrySR

A battery's efficiency, or ability to hold power, is measured in specific energy. Right now, even the best batteries have a specific energy of only 250 watt-hours per kilogram, but we have to get closer to 800 to really start flying, and that is still nothing compared to jet fuel's specific energy, which is nearly 12,000 watt-hours per kilogram.

So if you want to add more power to a plane, you need to get a bigger battery, and to get that plane airborne despite the weight, you'll need even bigger battery that's more powerful, but that means more weight. And then you'll need an even bigger battery to offset that weight. Oh, you get the point.

https://www.businessinsider.com/electric-planes-future-of-aviation-problems-regulations-2020-3

46 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

There are plenty of battery aircraft taking the skies.

But I don't expect a member of the red hat brigade to believe in science, facts or logic.

Yes you have lost and you are very much aware that the boat is sinking.The reason why people resort to slander or insults is to shift the focus of the debate to another issue not to prove that your facts are incorrect

35 minutes ago, seedy said:

Yes you have lost and you are very much aware that the boat is sinking.The reason why people resort to slander or insults is to shift the focus of the debate to another issue not to prove that your facts are incorrect

Not surprising, the climate change deniers here that still embrace toxic dinosaur doo for energy haven’t ever heard of “visionary entrepreneurs.”

The worlds top 30 $billionaires funded a company named ‘Breakthrough Energy Ventures.’

They aim to accelerate an energy transition across every sector of the economy by investing in visionary entrepreneurs, currently they are financing 46 pilot companies that can have a significant impact on climate change including new battery technology that will power all transportation in the future. Including aircraft. Battery powered aircraft range is now up to 250 miles. 
The Write Brothers first flight was around 100 feet.
Are you getting it now? 

Edited by LarrySR

1 hour ago, LarrySR said:

Not surprising, the climate change deniers here that still embrace toxic dinosaur doo for energy haven’t ever heard of “visionary entrepreneurs.”

The worlds top 30 $billionaires funded a company named ‘Breakthrough Energy Ventures.’

They aim to accelerate an energy transition across every sector of the economy by investing in visionary entrepreneurs, currently they are financing 46 pilot companies that can have a significant impact on climate change including new battery technology that will power all transportation in the future. Including aircraft. Battery powered aircraft range is now up to 250 miles. 
Are you getting it now? 

So the people selling it are actually spending money to promote it? Why would they do that? Fascinating.

It is worth noting that Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Lenovo, Tesla, Toyota, GM, Ford, Honda, BMW, JCI and countless other producer/developers of portable devices has been working/funding battery technology for many years. 

Oh, and I'm still waiting for a link to one of the "press releases" you claim big oil puts out daily.....

Unless you were lying, which of course I am sure you were not. I don't doubt for a moment those links are forthcoming, as I can't imagine someone as well informed as you would have to resort to making stuff up...

3 hours ago, LarrySR said:

that can have a significant impact on climate change

Nothing humans do, will have a significant impact on climate change / global warming, one way or the other.  

Climate change / warming is a natural phenomenon, and been cycling warm / ice age, for millions of years.  Seems to warm up to 40-60 ish C, then ice age kicks in, then repeats.  Man's impact is so miniscule, it's not worth mentioning, but IS big business.

Matter of fact, the sulphur aerosol pollution actually decreased the temperature ???? , maybe;

Since 1880, global mean temperature has risen by 0.8°C (1.4°F). However, this increase in temperature was not linear. Between the 1910s and the 1940s, temperature increased and then decreased until the 1970s. Scientists think that aerosol (airborne-particle) pollution may have caused the cooling effect shown in the temperature anomaly data between the 1940s and 1970s. Aerosols scatter visible light from the sun, thus cooling the earth. In the early 1970s, aerosol pollution decreased because of the sulfur filters placed on power station smoke stacks, and temperatures began to rise. "

http://www.ces.fau.edu/nasa/impacts/warming-planet/index.php

People should worry about the ice age that is going to follow, not the warming trends.  Enjoy that while it lasts.

Am I going solar & EV because I care about being eco-friendly, hell no.  Its just cheaper all the way around for me, I'll save a sh*t load of money, with a minor investment.

Along with getting to proclaim the usual ... "if you're not part of the solution, then YOU are the problem".  ????????????  Can't wait till I spew that BS on someone.  When in reality, I could give 2 sh*ts.  OK, I do feel better about not contributing to the air pollution, as I refuse to buy diesel vehicles.   AQI #s are quite annoying when > 50.

ice.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

On 10/9/2021 at 8:05 AM, LarrySR said:

Investors might have done a bit more research than some guys on Thai VISA that consume propaganda from fossil fuel industry.

Let's take a look at the EV stock prices.

LI Auto +2,272%

BYD +1,748%

NIO +1,312%

TSLA +13,208%

Oh, look, Ford & GM both out performing Tesla YTD......

1350730957_FordvsTesla.JPG.ec77a7ba8b49fcf61a6108ebdb17bf4b.JPG

Ford also investing heavily in few new plants ... but not in overtaxed, expensive utility cost, and crappy weather at Detroit Michigan area, though.  Can attest to low utility (electric) and taxes for Tennessee, as one reason I lived there 5 yrs before coming to Thailand.  No income tax was a plus, and an instant 10% raise on my salary.   TVA (hydro) electric, one of the cheapest in the country.   My 3 bdrm townhouse, all electric, central heat / ac, monthly bill <$100.

Michigan governor (bitch) caught completely off guard and wasn't even given an opportunity to sway them from leaving the state.????????????

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/09/27/ford-to-lead-americas-shift-to-electric-vehicles.html

????????????????????????????

https://www.autonews.com/executives/ford-didnt-give-michigan-real-opportunity-win-ev-battery-plants-governor-says-bill-ford

Edited by KhunLA

Are you getting it now? 

In development ... , we are working on ... , soon ... , have invested ... , we want to ... , it will have a significant impact ...

Anyone can say those things.

All this means nothing. Where are they ? When can they be used ? Answer - in the future. Can it be profitable ? Unknown.

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Ford also investing heavily in few new plants ... but not in overtaxed, expensive utility cost, and crappy weather at Detroit Michigan area, though.  Can attest to low utility (electric) and taxes for Tennessee, as one reason I lived there 5 yrs before coming to Thailand.  No income tax was a plus, and an instant 10% raise on my salary.   TVA (hydro) electric, one of the cheapest in the country.   My 3 bdrm townhouse, all electric, central heat / ac, monthly bill <$100.

Michigan governor (bitch) caught completely off guard and wasn't even given an opportunity to sway them from leaving the state.????????????

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/09/27/ford-to-lead-americas-shift-to-electric-vehicles.html

????????????????????????????

https://www.autonews.com/executives/ford-didnt-give-michigan-real-opportunity-win-ev-battery-plants-governor-says-bill-ford

I did some consulting in Chattanooga a couple years ago, loved it. 

For low/no skilled workers, the plant I was working in had gone from about $9 an hour starting pay to almost $16 an hour in less than a year. 

4 minutes ago, seedy said:

In development ... , we are working on ... , soon ... , have invested ... , we want to ... , it will have a significant impact ...

All this means nothing. Where are they ? When can they be used ? Answer - in the future. Can it be profitable ? Unknown.

Everyone knows we would be driving cars with engines that burned water but for the greedy fossil-fuel companies buying up all the patents and destroying the research....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Everyone knows we would be driving cars with engines that burned water but for the greedy fossil-fuel companies buying up all the patents and destroying the research....

Totally agree.

But they won't be destroying data.

That will all be kept for a  much latter date. 

On 10/9/2021 at 11:06 AM, KhunLA said:

Yea, major issue, as closest one to our house, is 70 km N or 170 kms S of us ????  

We're at PKK municipality (A. Muaang)  MG EP would get us to Krung Thep with no problem. 

MG ZS EV, maybe ????

One scooter I'm looking at, maybe 150 km range, if driving 35 kph, maybe.  So would make it to Hua Hin no problem (100 kms), though wouldn't want to be on a scooter that long, even if able to do 90 kph.  Very impractical for long distances at present, if on the move.  Maybe OK if hop scotching around with a bit a planning...no thanks.

But my usual, once to the park in the AM, and to the surf, early evening every day, e-scooter fits my needs perfectly.  @ 50 kph, at most, I'll be recharging every 2 or 3 days, at home via solar.  If I stayed local, the MG EP would work also.  Even out & about, with lots of planning.  Though would probably limit NE & N country exploring, since a bit wider.  South being 'thin', so no problem.  Rarely explore higher than Krung Thep anyway.

Of course you could always take a 'spare' with you.  EcoFlow Delta e-generator, or larger ESS.  Larger - they have a 48v5.3kw battery pack, though wouldn't be a fast charge using a basic inverter to plug into.  But you wouldn't be stranded.

I sit corrected.  MG in association the expected PEA & Egat, along with a few others, names not familiar with, have an extensive fast charging station (CS) network countrywide.  Not showing up on Gmap.  Matter fact, there's 2 a few kms from my house, 3 in HH, widest gap I noticed was between PKK & Chumphon, but since the thinnest part of the country, not much of a concern.

Even better, their app allows you to reserve charging slot, so far with the 353 CS now, and projected to have a station every 150 kms, if not already.  MGs charge up from 0-80% in 40 mins.   Plug in, grab a coffee / pastry, hit the internet, for some out & about exploring and you're charged up.

Takes away the last 'excuse' not to go EV.....  hmm

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I sit corrected.  MG in association the expected PEA & Egat, along with a few others, names not familiar with, have an extensive fast charging station (CS) network countrywide.  Not showing up on Gmap.  Matter fact, there's 2 a few kms from my house, 3 in HH, widest gap I noticed was between PKK & Chumphon, but since the thinnest part of the country, not much of a concern.

Even better, their app allows you to reserve charging slot, so far with the 353 CS now, and projected to have a station every 150 kms, if not already.  MGs charge up from 0-80% in 40 mins.   Plug in, grab a coffee / pastry, hit the internet, for some out & about exploring and you're charged up.

Takes away the last 'excuse' not to go EV.....  hmm

Assuming there is no line....

How much does a 40 minute,  80% charge cost? 

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Assuming there is no line....

How much does a 40 minute,  80% charge cost? 

Apparently that info is top secret.  Searching Google and lots of info, except for charges at stations.

So went to youtube and searched, read a few MG EP reviews, and saw this reply:

"

Oh, Pea Volta, it was in front of the festival. The charging fee will be the Off Peak price of the station which is 4.16 baht, compared to the normal home electricity meter is still cheaper. So the station is not expensive at all."

MG EP has 50kw battery, so 50 X 4.2 ish, and looking at 210 baht.  Which is almost the same MG promo says about home charging - price about 200 baht but using 3.96 as a price per kw

Also  noticed in reply on youtube, some stating they have meter install at house, assuming exclusively for EV charging, and the overnight rate is 2.16 per kw.

All just a fraction of petrol cost, along with minimal yearly maintenance.  I found MG to be fairly honest with the promos, and if scrolling down, it breaks what to expect over 5 or 8 years;

Actually got me thinking about swapping my ZS for one of the EVs.  Although only 1 yr old, so not the most economical time to change.  Be nice if I could squeeze into the EP, though I really do like the ZS.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, seedy said:

Norway has mandated that all domestic flight are electric by year 2040.

I'll gonna call Norway right away and tell them some climate change experts on a Thai forum that watch Fox say it's impossible. 

Edited by LarrySR

35 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Norway has mandated that all domestic flight are electric by year 2040.

I'll gonna call Norway right away and tell them some climate change experts on a Thai forum that watch Fox say it's impossible. 

WOW - you have a FOX obsession it seems. From USA ?

I do not watch any broadcast TV.

25 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, the left loves mandates....

Left or Right - matters not to me.

But I find that people who think this can all happen in 5 or 10 years are living in Cloud Cuckoo land.

Especially here in LOS - where things take a long time.

Just imagine the cost of the electrical cable alone to go from BKK to Udon Thani so all the poor saps who believe in Electric Jesus - as John Cadogan calls Elon Musk - can plug in their cars enroute.

And if everyone goes down this route, will they have 200 or 300 outlets at the charging stations, or will you have to wait for 1 or 2 or 3 hours to get a slot.

Whereas gasoline and diesel infrastructure is in place and functioning, and it takes 5 or 10 minutes to fuel and be on your way.

Total fantasy if people believe this will happen any time soon.

In the city, running errands and back and forth to work - OK, doable.

Long distance - 555

And aircraft - That is not Cloud Cuckoo land, that is Straight Jacket Land 555

4 hours ago, seedy said:

WOW - you have a FOX obsession it seems. From USA ?

I do not watch any broadcast TV.

Ok. I apologize for calling you a Fox viewer. That’s gotta hurt. Sorry about that. 
Whenever I see a really dumb comment, I just assume the poster watches Fox. 
I wonder where you’re getting your bad information?

37 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Ok. I apologize for calling you a Fox viewer. That’s gotta hurt. Sorry about that. 
Whenever I see a really dumb comment, I just assume the poster watches Fox. 
I wonder where you’re getting your bad information?

Just because you watch Fox does not mean all dummies watch it. Most dummies watch CNN or go on Vox and the like to get their bad information.

In any event, I'm still waiting for those links to the daily press releases you claimed the oil companies put out daily. I'm starting to think you were just making it up. You weren't lying when you said that were you? 

On 10/8/2021 at 12:50 PM, LarrySR said:

In most states the customers have the option to purchase renewable electricity directly from their power supplier. And you can choose not only how your electricity is generated, but also who generates it.

Now you know.

34 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

In any event, I'm still waiting for those links to the daily press releases you claimed the oil companies put out daily. I'm starting to think you were just making it up. You weren't lying when you said that were you? 

I did not know "Most" states have a parallel grid so your Green power can come in separately. Google search shows nothing.