Electric vehicles of all kinds

Kanada

https://www.prb.org/resources/9-billion-world-population-by-2050/

The less developed countries of Africa, Asia, and Latin America now account for 80 percent of world population, but represent 99 percent of global growth.

Who is going to come down from their Western High Horse and build all those wind farms and solar for these people ?

Gotta laugh at people who think their efforts at buying EV's, build "Green" power plants will make much difference in the greater scheme of things.

But typical.

1 hour ago, seedy said:

You gotta get out more

Google "New power plants worldwide"

China to build 600 new coal power plants

5 Asian countries account for 80% of new coal power

You know who builds renewable power plants - rich Western ones.

You know who builds coal plants - poor Eastern ones, as well as African ones.

Why - increasing demand, coal on hand, no tax base.

It's all about the money Baby

Your western thinking, we can save the world, look how good we are doing - listen to yourself.

Self Deluded much ?

True if you do it for green stuff , but electric cars far outperform combustion . That is a basic fact , you got better engines , in case of service life , power , power/weight ,  torque .... electric engines are soo much better no need to question that .

Power plants , thats the country or companies , you cant choose it .

1 hour ago, seedy said:

You gotta get out more

Google "New power plants worldwide"

China to build 600 new coal power plants

5 Asian countries account for 80% of new coal power

You know who builds renewable power plants - rich Western ones.

You know who builds coal plants - poor Eastern ones, as well as African ones.

Why - increasing demand, coal on hand, no tax base.

It's all about the money Baby

Your western thinking, we can save the world, look how good we are doing - listen to yourself.

Self Deluded much ?

you sure about that?

Solar Soars As Emerging Markets Renewables Investment Hits Record High

The price collapse in renewable energy technology and deployment drove record investment in emerging markets in 2019. BloombergNEF reports 2019 saw $32 billion invested against a previous high in 2018 of $24 billion.

According to BloombergNEF’s 2020 Climatescope findings, for the first time, renewables (including hydro) accounted for the majority of new capacity added in the 106 other emerging markets (excluding Mainland China and India). Gas build fell to its lowest level in these markets since 2014, with just 17GW added.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/feliciajackson/2020/12/09/solar-soars-as-emerging-markets-renewables-investment-hits-record-high/?sh=6c530f897434

image.png.1097e63f5b8fc2a70ea73c7638c5455a.png

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-energy-climatechange/china-doubles-new-renewable-capacity-in-2020-still-builds-thermal-plants-idUSKBN29Q0JT

Coal on way out as renewable energy costs hit record lows in India

Nagpur: South Asia has a pre-construction pipeline of 37.4 gigawatt (GW) of new coal projects, with India’s 21GW pipeline accounting for 56% of this. New coal does not make economic sense for India anymore, as renewable energy can deliver these outcomes better, quicker and cheaper, and without the negative socio-economic, health, and environmental impacts of coal, reveals a new report assessing the global pipeline of new coal projects.
The report ‘No New Coal By 2021: The Collapse of the Global Pipeline’, released by independent climate change think tank E3G, analyses that there has been a 76% reduction in proposed coal power since the Paris Agreement was signed in 2015. It further highlights that though India is moving slowly away from coal at a national level, considerable progress is being made at the state level. The climate groups behind the report are E3G, Global Energy Monitor and Ember.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/nagpur/coal-on-way-out-as-renewable-energy-costs-hit-record-lows-in-india/articleshow/86215337.cms

India Just Broke a World Record With Its New Solar Farm

The country is thinking big when it comes to clean energy.

https://futurism.com/india-just-broke-a-world-record-with-its-new-solar-farm

And this was happening when gas and coal prices were low. Get back to me when the cost of fuel for solar and wind plants goes higher than $0.00/kwh

How is life in that cave of yours?

I have an MG HS PHEV which I have owned for 4 months and I driven 3,500 km. I put ฿600 of fuel in it on the day I purchased it as the tank was empty and haven't filled it since. I charge it at home from solar. The EV only range is 67km  - which is enough for the majority of my journeys. I often drive the car in the morning charge it over lunch and use it again later in the day.

spacer.png 

The car is very enjoyable to drive with 254bhp and 370Nm of torque – enough for a 0–60mph time of 6.9 seconds

The car is very well spec'd with every bell and whistle you could want. I particularly like that the car has 4G so you can make emergency calls from the car and do "find my car" as well as switch on the aircon before you get to the car.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seedy said:

https://www.prb.org/resources/9-billion-world-population-by-2050/

The less developed countries of Africa, Asia, and Latin America now account for 80 percent of world population, but represent 99 percent of global growth.

Who is going to come down from their Western High Horse and build all those wind farms and solar for these people ?

Gotta laugh at people who think their efforts at buying EV's, build "Green" power plants will make much difference in the greater scheme of things.

But typical.

I've seen some clueless questions in my time and yours is definitely one of them

I'll see your one question and raise you one.

Who is going to come down from their Western High Horse and build coal or gas powered plants  for them?

Who is going to come down from their Western High Horse and pay for the coal and gas those power plants will require for as long as they are in use?

• Like 1

@Bandersnatch

Thanks for posting the pic.

I've been trying to get something similar installed for the last year, but it seems there was a rule change a few months ago requiring a license for configs above a certain power rating, which delayed the project somewhat. Hopefully we are now in a position to get the project restarted soon.

On a general point, this is a really interesting thread, great to read the views of people who actually have experience in this.

I lived with a roof-mounted solar water heating system for about 10 years, but that's a much simpler technology.

The new project will create and store electricity of course (unlike the water heating system), and it will also switch into the national grid when full. I'm not sure how common that switching function is as I'm not technical on these things.

On an even more general point, I've been looking at solar-powered bicycles, like the Elf (on the web only as there's no supplier in Thailand as far as I know). Looks great. And I'm intrigued by BBC reports of young teenage inventors in India making solar-powered tuktuks out of salvaged bits and pieces!

23 minutes ago, blackprince said:

I've been trying to get something similar installed for the last year, but it seems there was a rule change a few months ago requiring a license for configs above a certain power rating, which delayed the project somewhat.

I installed my solar system 3 years ago and did three visits to Surin PEA before doing the install  - They said as I did not plan to sell back there were no restrictions. After the install they then tried to tell me that 5kW was the max for single phase! I tried to explain that if I wanted to be part of the solar rooftop program that was the case but not for a stand alone system - they basically didn't know their own rules - eventually they agreed for the solar team from Korat to come and inspect my system - they passed it no problems.

I tried to buy a MG ZS EV when they first came out but the home charger install company said I could not use solar to charge the car, I needed a separate supply from PEA - I gave up. With the HS PHEV 2 years later I enlisted the help of the president of MG Thailand - the install company did not have a clue about solar.     

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, blackprince said:

On an even more general point, I've been looking at solar-powered bicycles, like the Elf (on the web only as there's no supplier in Thailand as far as I know). Looks great. And I'm intrigued by BBC reports of young teenage inventors in India making solar-powered tuktuks out of salvaged bits and pieces!

Take a peek at the EM-3, sold at most HomePros, on sale for ฿19k at the moment.  Also DECO offers an ebike, about same price.

Saw one on LAZ, really cheap (7k), good specs, 450w, 48v20Ah, but skeptical, 50 good review, 5 ish not so.  Actually don't know how they can sell so cheap.  All the rest seem to be rebranded 250w 12Ah batteries.

I researched about converting my Schwinn to E, using bafang motor kit, and simply not worth it, as can buy already done, and get the new bike frame / all in, with it @ BkkBike: https://www.bkkebike.com/

For the same price of the higher end ebikes at BkkBike, you can get a e-scooter at DECO, which is the way I went instead.

Edited by KhunLA

@KhunLA

Funny you should mention that, I was in homepro earlier this week and had a quick look at the e-bikes and scooters - my 10 year old's been pestering me for one (no way!).

We're in a pretty rural location most of the time so an e-bike's not really practical, and we've got a small motorbike for local stuff anyway.

My main drive is a Volvo S90 hybrid, a good car, just need the domestic solar-powered energy sysem to complete it!

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So again. if electric cars and "renewable" energy is so great, why all the mandates?

To make it economically feasible while economies of scale and infrastructure kick in and reduces the cost. 

13 minutes ago, sirineou said:

They are not cheaper, they are better. 

Good is not cheap, and cheap is not good. 

Nonsense

Good for short trips in a town or city.

Horrible long range, or to carry any weight.

Electric Vehicle Tax Credit Explained, Tesla No Longer Eligible

"Tesla and General Motors are the only manufacturers that have reached the 200,000-car milestone, meaning new purchases of qualifying vehicles from these manufacturers are not eligible for the electronic car tax credit. Tesla reached this mark in July of 2018, so the 50% credit phase out began in January 2019 and ran through the end of June 2019. From July 2019 through December 2019, the credit was reduced to 25%. After January 1, 2020, the credit was completely phased out to $0 for new buyers."

https://www.taxwarriors.com/blog/electric-vehicle-tax-credit-explained-tesla-no-longer-eligible

And as it happens, once Tesla lost that credit, sales collapsed and the critics once again were proved to be correct...just kidding. In 2020 Tesla sold 50% more cars than it did in 2019. Just to make sure that some who seem remarkably impervious to facts get the point, Tesla lost the tax credit as of Jan 1, 2020 but its sales jumped 50% that year!

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/tesla-us-sales-figures/

5 hours ago, seedy said:

Nonsense

Good for short trips in a town or city.

Horrible long range, or to carry any weight.

EVs, are good in many things other than the one you mentioned.. You don't really think the government is promoting their use because they are "good for short trips into a town or city"?

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

BS. Good is often cheap and cheap is often good. 

So again, if they truly are better, why the mandates? 

Why the mandates? Why the mandates? Why the mandates?

Well, it's been answered.

The question you should be asking: 

What is cognitive impairment? ANSWER: Cognitive impairment is when a person has trouble remembering, learning new things, concentrating, comprehending, problems with thought processes or other reduced mental functions.

Hope that helps. 

9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

So again, if they truly are better, why the mandates?

The same old story - Politics and Big Business

It is no wonder that Big Oil owns a considerable percentage of the renewable market.

Why ? - to reap the benefits of the tax credits offered by their Stooges in Office.

Same as when the price of oil drops, consumers never reap the benefits. Yet when the price rises they are hit immediately.

The Game is Rigged, they have all the cards.

And they have the Sheeple believing that paying more for a vehicle with less performance and shorter life is good. 

Oh, and don't forget the carbon tax credits that are freely traded world wide. No actual reduction in carbon output, but a healthy profit made.

Big Business is the ONLY people world wide who will see any benefit from this fiasco. The other 90% of the worlds population will continue to die of disease and starvation while the Rich Western Yokels feel SO GOOD about how they are saving the environment (and saving money they think)

Plus all the mines to extract the components to make the batteries are in the thirld world for the most part. Hmmm - fancy that

59 minutes ago, seedy said:

Tesla is not the only maker

USA is not the only market, not even the largest market

https://www.ev-volumes.com/

Maybe look outside - there is a big wide world out there

What has that got to do with the issue of subsidies? Clearly Tesla doesn't need them in affluent countries. And it's working on on a lower priced vehicle.  Of course, I'm sure your car salesman (really? you consider a car salesman to be authoritative?) will have a different take on it.

50 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

Interesting to read in today's paper a report on the Porsche Taycan EV. Three hundred sold since January at "only" 6.39 million baht. This compares to a petrol version at around 9 million baht.

Duty 

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

EVs, are good in many things other than the one you mentioned.. You don't really think the government is promoting their use because they are "good for short trips into a town or city"?

The "government" is not promoting them, they are mandating them. 

You point at mandated increases in EVs an renewables as evidence of how great they are. 

4 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Why the mandates? Why the mandates? Why the mandates?

Well, it's been answered.

The question you should be asking: 

What is cognitive impairment? ANSWER: Cognitive impairment is when a person has trouble remembering, learning new things, concentrating, comprehending, problems with thought processes or other reduced mental functions.

Hope that helps. 

Typical leftist. You are not able to formulate an actual response, so you condescend and intellectual superiority. 

I'll give:

Even money you have an advanced degree

2-1 you have a at least a four-year degree (regardless of how long it took you to get it)

5-1 you have at least a two year degree (regardless of how long it took you to get it)

10-1 that assuming you do have a degree, it is not in chemistry, physics or engineering. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, seedy said:

The same old story - Politics and Big Business

It is no wonder that Big Oil owns a considerable percentage of the renewable market.

Why ? - to reap the benefits of the tax credits offered by their Stooges in Office.

Same as when the price of oil drops, consumers never reap the benefits. Yet when the price rises they are hit immediately.

The Game is Rigged, they have all the cards.

And they have the Sheeple believing that paying more for a vehicle with less performance and shorter life is good. 

Oh, and don't forget the carbon tax credits that are freely traded world wide. No actual reduction in carbon output, but a healthy profit made.

Big Business is the ONLY people world wide who will see any benefit from this fiasco. The other 90% of the worlds population will continue to die of disease and starvation while the Rich Western Yokels feel SO GOOD about how they are saving the environment (and saving money they think)

Plus all the mines to extract the components to make the batteries are in the thirld world for the most part. Hmmm - fancy that

Thanks for all the authoritative backup to support your rant.. What's the matter, was your car salesman on break?

Pollution from Fossil-Fuel Combustion is the Leading Environmental Threat to Global Pediatric Health and Equity: Solutions Exist

Fossil-fuel combustion by-products are the world’s most significant threat to children’s health and future and are major contributors to global inequality and environmental injustice. The emissions include a myriad of toxic air pollutants and carbon dioxide (CO2), which is the most important human-produced climate-altering greenhouse gas. Synergies between air pollution and climate change can magnify the harm to children. Impacts include impairment of cognitive and behavioral development, respiratory illness, and other chronic diseases—all of which may be “seeded“ in utero and affect health and functioning immediately and over the life course.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5800116/

As for subsidies, renewables are pikers compared to the fossil fuels industry.  

Global Fossil Fuel Subsidies Remain Large: An Update Based on Country-Level Estimates

Summary:This paper updates estimates of fossil fuel subsidies, defined as fuel consumption times the gap between existing and efficient prices (i.e., prices warranted by supply costs, environmental costs, and revenue considerations), for 191 countries. Globally, subsidies remained large at $4.7 trillion (6.3 percent of global GDP) in 2015 and are projected at $5.2 trillion (6.5 percent of GDP) in 2017. The largest subsidizers in 2015 were China ($1.4 trillion), United States ($649 billion), Russia ($551 billion), European Union ($289 billion), and India ($209 billion). 

https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WP/Issues/2019/05/02/Global-Fossil-Fuel-Subsidies-Remain-Large-An-Update-Based-on-Country-Level-Estimates-46509

And your assert that EV's have a shorter life than ICE vehicle comes from where? Your claim that you know of an ICE vehicle that had 500,000 kilometers on it? This is your idea of evidence? It is to laugh.

• Like 1