Electric vehicles of all kinds

Kanada

11 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Do they have those little stand up electric scooters in Thailand yet?  Seems like something that would be popular to rent.  They are all over the place in the west.

RHKbIhH5_1365x.png

Usually see a store in the malls here selling two or three different models but rarely seen them in the wild, seen a couple at the larger markets.
The portability aspect of them is good, chuck a couple in the back of the car on a day trip to the park or the beach and the kids are happy, I can see the appeal there.

While they do have some “ fancy gadget “ appeal so did Segways and Hoverboards .

Difficult to see them catching on here as prices of bicycles and scooters are so competitive.

These seem more attractive at the moment, a few different models available:

6DE7ED8B-C7F1-4CC6-A8F8-831D148ABE9E.jpeg.68fb11cf1acd65156311b4d5c01ca88f.jpeg

After all, why stand when you can sit down ??

16 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Oil companies are now using the old tobacco company playbook that for years, knowingly put out info that denied the fact that cigarettes caused cancer. They marketed their lethal product with deception with a single minded focus on their financial success, without regard for the human tragedy.

Eventually even the dumbest supporters of tobacco caught on...are you getting it now?

Pesticide, sugar, oil and plastics industries have employed the same tactics to sow doubt about their harmful products.

If you want to hear every lie ever dreamed up by the oil companies or politicians that are funded by the industry about man made climate change,...... tune into Fox News.

I'll take that as a no, that you are not able to post a link to one of these press-releases the oil companies are putting out every day. That's what I thought. 

Why not link to one of the stories you saw on Fox News today? Or were you lying about that as well?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/3/2021 at 6:40 PM, Kanada said:

Those prices sound high compared to Canada ???????? 

It is also generally warmer here than Canada.

Prices in Canada have no meaning whatsoever to the prices here in Thailand.

I’m sure that if you search hard, you will find things in Thailand that are cheaper than in Canada.

You need to understand this.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, LarrySR said:

One can always spot the Fox viewers in the social media comments. Clueless.

Go check the comments of the Fox YouTube channel if you want to see how isolated from reality they really are.

You seem like a Fox News expert.

Are you going to provide that link?

Some new battery tech on the horizon, Graphene, as the Yadae scooter uses a graphene lead acid battery, which I can't seem to find much info on.  Only info about graphene being developed, but nothing mass produce.  Looks very promising vs lithium ion.  

Wish they'd hurry up, as ready to buy in, and prefer not to buy in and be  'obsolete' after 2 years ... ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Some new battery tech on the horizon

That is all it is at this point in time.

"In development" - what does that mean ?

1 - 2 - 5 - 10 years ?

Anything can be "In Development" - whether it is practical, able to be marketed successfully, is a whole 'nother matter.

2 hours ago, seedy said:

That is all it is at this point in time.

"In development" - what does that mean ?

1 - 2 - 5 - 10 years ?

Anything can be "In Development" - whether it is practical, able to be marketed successfully, is a whole 'nother matter.

Actually being used and produced already.  The Yadea scooters come with Graphene lead acid batteries.  Graphene also applied & produced in other batteries offered, but not on the level of Lithium Ion (Manganese or Phosphates) for scooters, cars, home ESS.

Already a component in Panasonics 18650s, used in many applications.  Samsung also using, I think, not sure about LG or BYD.  I think Tesla (Panasonic, LG, CATL) getting ready to make the leap, full in, as saw a couple vids showing graphene batteries for their cars.  Not sure if pass 'concept' phase yet.  

Haven't finished researching yet, as at least a month of so from buying in; scooter & home ESS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seedy said:

This was an interesting video, but I do not think the biggest problem with EVs is disposing of the old batteries, but rather that batteries have to be charged. We will still have to burn fossil fuel to generate the electricity to charge the batteries. Renewables may work in rural areas, but not in urban areas where the bulk of the load is. 

The video asked if recycling batteries will ultimately eliminate mining raw materials. I believe there is no way recycling can possibly eliminate or even greatly reduce mining, until significantly more old batteries are being recycled, than there are new batteries being produced. Apparently none of the recycling processes are economically viable enough to process even pre-consumer scrap, which means that recycled batteries will cost significantly more than batteries made from raw materials.  Given that, I believe it safe to assume the "plan" will be to mandate all cars be EV, then mandate all batteries be produced using recycled materials, which will make the batteries so expensive that only the rich people that push for the mandates will be able to afford them. 

Perfect!

1 hour ago, seedy said:

"I Make America" - on a Volvo !!! Owned by the Chinese !!! 555

Sadly for the USA, China dominates the clean energy market doubling their wind and solar power in 2020.

The USA is being held back for some reason....Just a few years ago, some dimwit in charge was advocating coal. Imagine that!

I remember the days when Americans were the trailblazers. You could say they made America great. 

Edited by LarrySR

1 hour ago, seedy said:

"I Make America" - on a Volvo !!! Owned by the Chinese !!! 555

You might want to actually do a wee bit of research before posting.  Volvo makes cars, trucks, and apparently excavators in the USA.  Can't fault a company for maximizing profits and staying in business, providing jobs worldwide.

https://imakeamerica.com/?s=volvo

http://tiny.cc/dd1kuz

The "Made in ??? " home country BS is just that....BS.   Provide the best product for the best price.   If you had to only purchase and use products / food, made & produced in your home country, you'd be screwed for any choice or competition, and things would be outrageously expensive.

Auto industry in USA is prime example, of the c r a p they produced until foreign competition arrived.  Then to complete, the USA auto makers simply rebranded imports for themselves.  Unions priced themselves out of jobs, along with millionaire executives.  Competition is a beautiful thing.  Welcome it.  Businesses fail because of mismanagement, and no other reason.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Volvo demonstrates their new line of electric excavators. 

“It was stronger than the diesel machine" ... “I was shocked.”

Volvo_electric_Utility_Expo.615c3db572df3.jpeg

Too bad you have to burn oil to charge it.

Incidentally, when are you going to post a link to one of these press-releases you claimed the oil companies are putting out every day?

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Too bad you have to burn oil to charge it.

Incidentally, when are you going to post a link to one of these press-releases you claimed the oil companies are putting out every day?

I can see you are a bit behind on your scientific literature. The electricity industry is has changed while you were watching Fox News and consuming propaganda from the fossil fuel industry.

Solar energy is now cheaper than oil so I'd choose the solar.

In most states the customers have the option to purchase renewable electricity directly from their power supplier. And you can choose not only how your electricity is generated, but also who generates it.

Now you know.

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Sadly for the USA, China dominates the clean energy market doubling their wind and solar power in 2020.

The USA is being held back for some reason....Just a few years ago, some dimwit in charge was advocating coal. Imagine that!

I remember the days when Americans were the trailblazers. You could say they made America great. 

Yes, currently (pun intended) Americans do not seem willing to desecrate their own environment competing with China in the manufacture of solar panels. 

Fortunately, there are enough illegal aliens flooding across the border that a lot of rich CEOs can get even richer paying minimum wages to do the installations the American taxpayers will have to subsidize.  

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, currently (pun intended) Americans do not seem willing to desecrate their own environment competing with China in the manufacture of solar panels. 

Fortunately, there are enough illegal aliens flooding across the border that a lot of rich CEOs can get even richer paying minimum wages to do the installations the American taxpayers will have to subsidize.  

Fox on the brain. 

Apparently Elon Musk is moving his headquarters to Texas. No doubt he'll have a great facility with negative carbon footprint that will have all his worshipers salivating. Too bad he can't do that in California. 

Incidentally, Texas does not collect state income taxes, so he and his other million/billionaire officers and board members will get to keep another 13% of their money, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Another well thought out, fact filled response from the left... 

Still waiting for that link. No doubt there are just too many for you to come up with one. 

The solar ETF is +602% in 5 years.

Let me check the coal ETF for you....o never mind...it closed.

Somebody get this guy a tissue.

Edited by LarrySR