Non O based on retirement

Hi. I am here on a TR 60 day. I usually get a 6 month Tr but that was not available this year. It ends at the end of October with a 30 day extension available. Before I left Canada I started transfering money to my Thai acct at Kaskorn which I have had for 9 years. I turn 60 in December and have decided to retire. The Mrs and I have been together for 9 years and own our house which is in her name. I went to immigration at Jomtien and requested the required paper work and will do it myself. That should be extra back ground info for my question. The requirement states that I am required to have the 800,000 in the bank for 2 months from the application date which I am suppose to apply a minimum 2 weeks before visa expires. I have over a million baht in my acct but the 800,000 was not in my acct until Aug 27th. So the way I read it, I have to apply for the non O (3month) by the 15th of October which means I am 13 days early for the 2 months. I know I can get a 30 day extention at the end of Oct and then apply for the O on or around November 15th. Not a big problem as it is just an extra 2000 baht but extra trips to immigration which I hate doing. Common sense tells me to date the application for Sept 28 but I am sure the Thai IO will not accept this. Has anyone had this same situation?

Thanks

lennyd

About the first step.

Change of visa status.

Form TM86

This is a SEPARATE application than the later annual retirement extension application.

All You Need To Know About Thai Immigration Forms (thaiembassy.com)

Foreigners who are currently on a tourist visa (TR) issued by a Thai embassy may change their visa status into a non-immigrant visa such as based on Thai wife or retirement, at the local immigration office in Thailand.

The applicant should use the TM86 form in doing the change of visa.

The applicant who wishes to apply for the change of visa status must have at least 15 days remaining in his or her current permit to stay.

The application fee is 2,000 THB.

• Like 1

If you have 1 million baht in your bank account since Aug 27, you are good. Just change your tourist visa to 3 months non-O visa first.  

You don't need to apply for an extension of 1 month on your tourist visa if you get your non-O visa before the expiry of your tourist visa.

You should have no problem extending during the last month of your 3 months non-O visa if you maintain the 800k.

If you hate all the hassle, you might want to hire an agent to do some of the tedious work.

Edited by EricTh

You first need to change your Visa type from TR to Non-O, you don't need proof of money for that, but you need at least 15 days validity on your TR. 

After obtaining Non-O you can then start the process of extension based on retirement 30 days before Non-O expires. For this you will need to show 800,000 proof for 2 months.

12 hours ago, Leonard Desharnais said:

. The Mrs and I have been together for 9 years and own our house which is in her name.

The reason I suggested extension marriage was the 'Mrs' part.

Don't think this has been mentioned re the 800k.

Yes for extension 2 months in bank prior to application. Then maintained at 800k+ for next 3 months and then not below 400k after that. 

Then Top it back up to 800k two months prior to following application.

I'm in same boat and choose to have a dedicated bank account for this purpose and just leave 800k+ all year round. Many report doing the same to avoid and slip up with dates. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

If you have 1 million baht in your bank account since Aug 27, you are good. Just change your tourist visa to 3 months non-O visa first.  

You don't need to apply for an extension of 1 month on your tourist visa if you get your non-O visa before the expiry of your tourist visa.

You should have no problem extending during the last month of your 3 months non-O visa if you maintain the 800k.

If you hate all the hassle, you might want to hire an agent to do some of the tedious work.

Given that documents need to be obtained from a bank on the day you apply for the non-O visa and that the bank requires signatures, an agent surely cannot take care of that part. Or am I wrong?

20 minutes ago, Ombra said:

Given that documents need to be obtained from a bank on the day you apply for the non-O visa and that the bank requires signatures, an agent surely cannot take care of that part. Or am I wrong?

You are not wrong. An agent can do very little if your actually having the money in bank etc.

The requirements for the non O and extension are very straightforward. 

The hurdle for some folk is the funds in bank requirement.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, the financials you outline are for non O based on retirement.

You did not want to obtain non O based on marriage? 

The financials are far more easy for extensions.

And not as difficult as everyone made it sound. I just did my first extension based on marriage , we did it ourselves, and it was very easy. But perhaps it was a function of where we are (Khon Kaen) . The immigration officers were very professional and helpful. Before we summited our application it was all reviewed by the girl where you take a number,  She tell you if anything is out of Order, then we were send to the Immigration officer, a pleasant review, and signing of documents. a week later a couple of nice immigration officers came to our house, a couple of our neighbors came over and signed that we lived there, and we were done. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

. I just did my first extension based on marriage , we did it ourselves, and it was very easy. But perhaps it was a function of where we are (Khon Kaen)

Indeed...saw your positive post about your experience KK. 

Good to see positive experience.

Mine is extensions based on retirement at CW. 

I find the immigration officers fantastic. Not an easy job but I give them huge tick.

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You are not wrong. An agent can do very little if your actually having the money in bank etc.

The requirements for the non O and extension are very straightforward. 

The hurdle for some folk is the funds in bank requirement.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Indeed...saw your positive post about your experience KK. 

Good to see positive experience.

Mine is extensions based on retirement at CW. 

I find the immigration officers fantastic. Not an easy job but I give them huge tick.

If you don't mind tying up the funds. or you transfer enough every month to qualify for a retirement visa, then Retirement visa is certainly easier, 

We have our own house paid for, and our car paid for, no kids, so we dont need to transfer too much every month. 

Or if you are not married to a Thai.

But if you rather leave your money back home , perhaps in a safe investment, earning  a bit of income, or at the very least keeping up with inflation.   

The marriage extension at 400K  is a better option IMO. It did require a bit more documents, but I am retired , what else do I have to do????? It was actually a nice project that kept me busy for a few days LOL  

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

...........so we dont need to transfer too much every month.

One thing that surprises me with the married guys is that many use income method. Guess many have "pensions" and suits them.

The 400k in the bank for only 2 months (+ under consideration period) seems a nice option to me.

I would import 400k prior to Extension and just live off the funds after extension granted.

No proof of income deposits and bank statements etc.

Guess folk do what best suits there situation. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

One thing that surprises me with the married guys is that many use income method. Guess many have "pensions" and suits them.

The 400k in the bank for only 2 months (+ under consideration period) seems a nice option to me.

I would import 400k prior to Extension and just live off the funds after extension granted.

No proof of income deposits and bank statements etc.

Guess folk do what best suits there situation. 

This year I employed the Bank deposit method, I certainly have more than enough income, so next year maybe I will use the income method, Or if it turns out that my monthly transferee were were enough to qualify for a retirement visa, I will try that. 

I have been married for 12 years now , coming to Thailand for more than 14, but I never had to do an extension, because of my work , I almost never stayed here more than three months at the time . So all this extension stuff is new to me. We were stuck in the US with the pandemic for the past two years, just made it back last may, so this extension is new to me. 

I just thought I mention my experience because I think the OP is married to a Thai, and the extension based in marriage is an option for him. 

Edited by sirineou

15 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I just thought I mention my experience because I think the OP is married to a Thai, and the extension based in marriage is an option for him

I thought that also as the OP posted the following....

. "The Mrs and I have been together for 9 years" 

Turns out he isn't married and mentioned that later on.

As this stage retirement is his only option.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I thought that also as the OP posted the following....

. "The Mrs and I have been together for 9 years" 

Turns out he isn't married and mentioned that later on.

As this stage retirement is his only option.

Or making a honest girl of the Mrs, ???? after 9 years i think it's about time. 

Have some inquiries Regarding changing from Non – B to Non – O Based on Retirement ,if anyone can share their experience  

1) 800k has to come from Abroad or can use local fund since i am on Non B extension  .

2) Can i  apply first for 90 day extension  and later for  the 1 year extension for non O 

3) can i change to non  O on the last day of the current non B extension date or it should be at least  15 days before the expiration date 

8 minutes ago, Falang in Thailand said:

Have some inquiries Regarding changing from Non – B to Non – O Based on Retirement ,if anyone can share their experience  

1) 800k has to come from Abroad or can use local fund since i am on Non B extension  .

2) Can i  apply first for 90 day extension  and later for  the 1 year extension for non O 

3) can i change to non  O on the last day of the current non B extension date or it should be at least  15 days before the expiration date 

You cannot change your non immigrant visa categories at immigration.

You will change your extension of stay based upon working to retirement. You will need a letter from your employer to cancel your current extension of the day you apply for the extension based upon retirement.

1. No

2. There is no 90 day extension you can apply for.

3. You will have to apply for the extension on the day you cancel your current extension.

The 800k baht will have to be the bank for 2 months on the day your apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

But if you rather leave your money back home , perhaps in a safe investment, earning  a bit of income, or at the very least keeping up with inflation.   

The difference between Retirement and Marriage is 400k in the bank =£8,800. How much interest or dividends would you get in your own country on that? Not even worth thinking about.

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, Ombra said:

No, the agent can't help with that. They can help with the queueing at immigration office/translation/filling up form/making sure all the required documents are completed etc.

Edited by EricTh

13 minutes ago, EricTh said:

No, the agent can't help with that. They can help with the queueing at immigration office/translation/filling up form/making sure all the required documents are completed etc.

Thanks for clarifying that.

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

Given enough in a brown envelope the agent certainly can assist.

However the OP has enough money in the bank that paying the amount to avoid virtually all pesky requirements isn’t needed. But if you want to spend upwards of 25k for something you can do for free then bank accounts and seasoning of accounts are not required, though you may be locked into paying the same every year.