License Plate for ATV/Quad?

Jenkins9039

Just now, jazzdog32095 said:

then it was a three wheeler right?  what model ?  I need the one carries 300kilo my gf is really fat 54kilo, jajaja.  How much noise can electric make?  Are you not overly concerned about insurance like all the miss henny pennys' on here ?

2 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

then it was a three wheeler right?  what model ?  I need the one carries 300kilo my gf is really fat 54kilo, jajaja.  How much noise can electric make?  Are you not overly concerned about insurance like all the miss henny pennys' on here ?

42000baht fully assembled / delivered

5662b1636e94b8cb8832fa252423d5f4.jpg_2200x2200q80.jpg_.webp

37 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Bought from Lazada, no mention, 22,000 THB knocked down from30,000 THB 

If I was in your shoes here's what I would do, find a reputable place near you that sells and/or services Quads, walk in with a Thai person, let them know your situation and ask them directly. You're obviously not going to get a straight answer here.

FWIW, I live on Pattaya's Darkside and not too far from my home is an ATV/Quad company that caters to the younger tourists wanting an off-road adventure tour in this area, they have private trails they drive on and I see them now and again driving on public paved roads and I've NEVER seen a license plate on anyone of them, but that doesn't mean they aren't insured. If you already own a car ask your insurance company.

2 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

no. image is above 8 inch wheel quad bike (4 wheels) 125cc 

I can't really answer the question but I have never seen a tractor with license plates. But when I went in to get my Thai driver license, they made a point of saying you still needed a drivers license to drive one on the road, Which drivers license would be required for a quad, golf cart. Bike or car? Need to wear helmet?

2 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I can't really answer the question but I have never seen a tractor with license plates. But when I went in to get my Thai driver license, they made a point of saying you still needed a drivers license to drive one on the road, Which drivers license would be required for a quad, golf cart. Bike or car? Need to wear helmet?

I really think the cut off is the amount of power, I heard mention less than 150cc=no license. Now there are elec bicycles, skateboards, standup scooters, those stand up balance devise. I will send Thai gf on a fact finding mission, she wants the damn thing , done run out of s**t to buy, jaja

Land Traffic Act 1979

Section 7. No person shall use the conveyance without plate of registration number, plate of sign of registration number, or conveyance sign under ...

Chapter 1

Registration, sign and using of vehicle

Section 7. A vehicle applied for registration must: (1) be a vehicle containing full components and accessories prescribed in the Ministerial Regulation, and (2)15 have been examined the vehicle condition by the Registrar or the vehicle condition examination centre licensed under the law on land transport at the time of registration application.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

No clue, have a five year license if that helps.

And in LOS you need a different separate licence for bike and car..

They both need separate road tax and compulsory insurance, which you can only get with a registration book...

Do they supply a LOS registration book with your proposed purchase..?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, transam said:

And in LOS you need a different separate licence for bike and car..

They both need separate road tax and compulsory insurance, which you can only get with a registration book...

Do they supply a LOS registration book with your proposed purchase..?

I have numerous cars and bikes, one bike is 4 yrs old and still driving on a red plate lol, even my BMW i drove a red plate for 1.8yrs, 

Cars and bikes are irrelevant, only interested in ATV/Quad.

My understanding is that they are not road legal but people do use them.  Saw a foreigner on the road in Min Buri and there is a guy on my Mooban that uses one.  The issue is if you have an accident.  With that being said I have had an insured car driver crash into me and two scooters. Dashcam and the rozzers made them pay up regardless. 

Edited by BBJ

14 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

I have numerous cars and bikes, one bike is 4 yrs old and still driving on a red plate lol, even my BMW i drove a red plate for 1.8yrs, 

Cars and bikes are irrelevant, only interested in ATV/Quad.

That doesn't change the fact that Los law states you can use a red plate for a max of 30 days, after that it's an offence.

But, I am surprised you haven't asked for your money back for the red plate use...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BBJ said:

My understanding is that they are not road legal but people do use them.  Saw a foreigner on the road in Min Buri and there is a guy on my Mooban that uses one.  The issue is if you have an accident.  With that being said I have had an insured car driver crash into me and two scooters. Dashcam and the rozzers made them pay up regardless. 

Doubt there would be any method to have an accident, where i want to use there's perhaps 2 cars and i doubt they are checked annually or even insured, further most of the roads are dirt tracks or beach.

Mainly its bikes or bikes with side car (which are not 'legal').

Edited by Jenkins9039
  • Haha 1

On 10/3/2021 at 11:30 AM, seedy said:

This post has nothing to do with the OP

Quads can not be registered to drive on Thai roads.

Apparently, Quad Bikes are not strictly illegal on Thai roads, as there is no allowance for them under Thai law. ( they do not exist )

Therefore you cannot register one for " Road Legal " as you would say in the US.

I got one, but just play in the Dirt with it.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 8:19 PM, Jenkins9039 said:

I didn't think of the noise when i bought it, i thought of the size lol, its smaller than a golf buggy and ideal for parking.

The noise would not be an issue unless you start messing with the exhaust to make it louder, which is a thing Thais love to do.

However, I am looking at the size of the machine you have chosen, and it seems a tad small for a fully grown man.

It appears to be a Kids Quad size, and the one on the Left in the Photo is more to a full size machine.

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

The noise would not be an issue unless you start messing with the exhaust to make it louder, which is a thing Thais love to do.

However, I am looking at the size of the machine you have chosen, and it seems a tad small for a fully grown man.

It appears to be a Kids Quad size, and the one on the Left in the Photo is more to a full size machine.

I'm a small adult, 

On 10/3/2021 at 5:27 PM, jazzdog32095 said:

Here's the deal, I've made countless passages on my 58' Ketch to places where I was either illegal, uninsured or both. Would I forego those experience's because of some remote risk, of course not. Some folks would prefer to lock themselves in their bedroom to insure their safety. Yet others will drink each night at their watering hole infested with prostitutes of various genders hanging out with their drug dealer buddies. Let it be. My point is I don't need anyone telling me '' the sky is falling'' if I choose to drive down the beach in my golf cart. I can confidently assume the risk I take is far less than that guy drinking each evening in the red light district but then again that's up to him.

You're missing the point. The point is not what you... need or don't need. It's not about if you... are insured or not. Even if it's a 58" ketch.

In the case of an unregistered, uninsured vehicle without license plates driven on a public road, its about what you or the one driving it can do to others. 

There's a lot of you in what you write. Do you really think the mandatory insurance you must have to drive on public roads is for you? 

Edited by MikeyIdea

10 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

You're missing the point. The point is not what you... need or don't need. It's not about if you... are insured or not. Even if it's a 58" ketch.

In the case of an unregistered, uninsured vehicle without license plates driven on a public road, its about what you or the one driving it can do to others. 

There's a lot of you in what you write. Do you really thinkdatory insurance you must have to drive on public roads is for you? 

You have mistakenly assumed I can't be insured to drive a quad on the road. I might not be able to get coverage from the two-bit companies in TH. But tell me this Henny Penny, are you covered for any and all damages that may effect others as a result of something you do. After all, if the sky is falling ( Golf cart operations on public roads in the United States have resulted in 130 fatalities recorded by FARS during 2013 – 2018) or 260 per million. Getting struck by lightning is 1 in a million. Complete Allstate coverage for my cart in Florida is $22 / year. Lets list all the awful things we face without insurance. Or better yet build yourself a really strong roof and hide in your bedroom. I would suggest there is far more about you in what you write than you even realize. By the way my Ketch costs US$ 8700/year to insure and much less chance of running someone over than my cart.

• Haha 2

Some people just do not get it - or they get it and they just do not care.

ATV/Quad, stand-up scooter, etc. all illegal to drive/ride on the road.

Which is what the OP asked.

What happens in Florida, or on a sail boat, has nothing to do with this FACT

But go do what you want, and suffer the consequences when you have an accident.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, seedy said:

Which is what the OP asked.

Not really, i asked whether there's a 'license plate' requirement.... 

I'm not so worried if they are 'road-illegal' as it will be used at our holiday home which is on a island... and the roads there are not exactly roads for vehicles, and i doubt the trucks on there are licensed, insured or even tested by the government annually (due to their age) and the high costs (60,000 THB) to take them to the mainland, and (60,000) THB to bring them back to the island, same would apply to all the scooters either with side cars or without side cars, its just not economical for the Thai's on the island.

So for me, it was just checking to see if a plate was needed, I doubt there's any enforcement (need a muzzler) and can go about my day using it when it arrives.

27 minutes ago, transam said:

Let me put it this way, if a tool on a quad bike, with no compulsory insurance, run over and killed your kid on a public road, what would you do....?

Probably the same as what happened when a Thai friends husband killed a family in one of those bike side cars at 6 am, go to the ATM, and trust the money is enough to stop the idea of a criminal case going forward which serves no one.

Wife summed it up 'we need two kids, in-case one dies'. 

- If you want safety and security move to the West.

Edited by Jenkins9039
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Not really, i asked whether there's a 'license plate' requirement.... 

I'm not so worried if they are 'road-illegal' as it will be used at our holiday home which is on a island... and the roads there are not exactly roads for vehicles, and i doubt the trucks on there are licensed, insured or even tested by the government annually (due to their age) and the high costs (60,000 THB) to take them to the mainland, and (60,000) THB to bring them back to the island, same would apply to all the scooters either with side cars or without side cars, its just not economical for the Thai's on the island.

So for me, it was just checking to see if a plate was needed, I doubt there's any enforcement (need a muzzler) and can go about my day using it when it arrives.

So there are no cops on the island, and everything on wheels is probably illegal..?

13 minutes ago, transam said:

So being legal on public roads, in your opinion, is idiotic and infringes on your freedom......????

Are you one of those Sovereign Citizen types....?

Let me put it this way, if a tool on a quad bike, with no compulsory insurance, run over and killed your kid on a public road, what would you do....?

Obviously you and seedling have limited comprehension skills. I am buying a GOLF CART that tops out at 30KPH. In the USA the average # of deaths per year related to golf carts 26, deaths from lightning 27. Meanwhile over 5,500 Thais die each year mainly from a complete lack of enforcement of helmet laws. Thailand #1 in the World in motorcycle deaths, #2 overall deaths and you two simpletons' are on a do-gooder rampage how I'm public enemy #1 for wanting to ride my golf cart from my house on the beach on soi 5 up along Jomtien beach road. You sound like two guys done fallen off your scooters without a helmet more than few times, jaja!

Motorbike accident deaths: Thailand number one in the world • Samui Times

Odds of Becoming a Lightning Victim (based on averages for 2009-2018)

Estimated U.S. population as of 2019 330,000,000

Average Number of Deaths Reported 27

Odds of being struck in a given year 1/12,222,000

Odds of being killed relating to a golf cart in a given year 1/12,692,307

----------------------------------------------------

Odds of being killed riding a motorcycle in Thailand in a given year  1/12000

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Obviously you and seedling have limited comprehension skills. I am buying a GOLF CART that tops out at 30KPH. In the USA the average # of deaths per year related to golf carts 26, deaths from lightning 27. Meanwhile over 5,500 Thais die each year mainly from a complete lack of enforcement of helmet laws. Thailand #1 in the World in motorcycle deaths, #2 overall deaths and you two simpletons' are on a do-gooder rampage how I'm public enemy #1 for wanting to ride my golf cart from my house on the beach on soi 5 up along Jomtien beach road. You sound like two guys done fallen off your scooters without a helmet more than few times, jaja!

Motorbike accident deaths: Thailand number one in the world • Samui Times

Odds of Becoming a Lightning Victim (based on averages for 2009-2018)

Estimated U.S. population as of 2019 330,000,000

Average Number of Deaths Reported 27

Odds of being struck in a given year 1/12,222,000

Odds of being killed relating to a golf cart in a given year 1/12,692,307

----------------------------------------------------

Odds of being killed riding a motorcycle in Thailand in a given year  1/12000

So you are Mr. Lucky, nothing is ever going to happen to you....????

You, using the word "comprehension", really is.....????

But hey, you will do what you want, what ever is said on here, in your lucky world.....????

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Highly likely

So after getting on page 3, threads on this go way back some 10 years or more. 

I think you know by now there illegal in some circumstances but the consensus is they are tolerated and if anything unfortunate happened the rider & owner will be held totally responsible.

If someone hit you that could get complicated it reminds me of some Arab country laws it would be your fault because you shouldn't be there.  ????

• Like 1

Had a 400cc Honda foreman quad for my rubber farm, was told at the DLT not possible to get a license plate, they considered it like a tractor. But my Kubota tractor got issued license plates, supplied by the Kubota dealer. Like the car dealers get your plates for your car. But I did not have insurance on it. Figure that one out.

I see an older guy in Udon Thani that has a big quad, maybe 500cc with a overhead awning type protector. He drives on the road and it has license plates, real ones or not I don't know.

So that settles it 

Edited by kwonitoy

5 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

Had a 400cc Honda foreman quad for my rubber farm, was told at the DLT not possible to get a license plate, they considered it like a tractor. But my Kubota tractor got issued license plates, but I did not have insurance on it. Figure that one out.

I see an older guy in Udon Thani that has a big quad, maybe 500cc with a overhead awning type protector. He drives on the road and it has license plates, real ones or not I don't know.

So that settles it 

From old info threads putting a number plate on it from a other vehicle is a separate offence quite a serious one from memory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

I  get it and I just do not care just as I don't care about many idiotic laws that infringe on my freedom. You have a great life there Seedling obeying every law on the books so as not to be a hypocrite.

Rebel without a cause .....????

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

To answer the OP's question. Village Roads?

In Thailand like in many countries there is a difference between rural and urban policing.

Local plod doesn't care if you ride around the "village", go to mom and pop shop for beer, race around farm tracks/dirt roads.

Urban police will raise an eyebrow if you ride down Sukhumvit in Bangkok or maybe Beach Road in Pattaya

Rule of thumb? Do your village roads have white/yellow lines? Or street lights?

Side note: Everyone thinks the RTP are lazy and incompetent. But they quite quickly found the guy that assaulted the masseuse.  

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Urban police will raise an eyebrow if you ride down Sukhumvit in Bangkok or maybe Beach Road in Pattaya

Once drove down the one way system in Phuket city at 3 am <deleted>, lost, police came down the right way, turned around and came up to the window, spoke to them, gave them the phone, spoke to the wife, then proceeded to guide me (following them) to the central mall main road area, and allowed me to go on my way.

Sure times have changed, police are less helpful (silent chuckle), but for the most part even the Thai police in urban areas turn a blind eye then, as now.

• Like 1