Roojai car insurance

Geoffreyt

Can anyone give a recommendation for Roojai car insurance. They offer significantly higher personal accident cover than other companies but on the other hand they impose a 3,000 baht excess payment. (which I don't object to). 

I'm more concerned about their speed of response to a call for help. 

Thankyou. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry bit late with the response,

We had a claim with them last year when our son went off the road in the wife's car.

We contacted them using their app and it took a while (20 mins or so) to get a response from them but they sent someone out after about an hour. In fairness, we were about 70 kms outside of the city so they would probably have had to come from there.

We had two problems with the actual claim, one was with the garage, rather than Roojai - we paid extra for the "any garage" option and took the car back to the dealer we bought it from. They huffed and moaned about Roojai not being a company they dealt with and tried to get us to pay up front but we refused and called Roojai about it and I guess they dealt with it because we didn't pay anything up front. They were still moaning about us not using an insurer they "liked" when we went to pick up the car.

The other problem was that although we had the 3,000 baht excess, we were asked to pay over 4,000 baht in excess (cant remember the exact amount) and we were told the extra money was for fluids which are not covered under the policy. When I questioned Roojai about this, they told me it was in the policy, and gave me a section and paragraph number to refer to. I looked it up, said nothing about having to pay for fluids so I called them back and was told someone would get back to us to explain it but nobody did and we ended up paying the extra as the garage wouldn't let the car go otherwise.

On the plus side, when we renewed they hadn't dropped the no-claims bonus.

* Forgot to say that despite the claim, her renewal premium also went down this year.

Edited by nahkit
add information

I recently had a quote from Roojai for the renewal for my car and they are quoting me a higher premium than last year for slightly less coverage, my no-claims bonus is the same as last year at 50%.

I went online to get a quote as a new customer and for the same coverage as shown in their renewal quote, I was offered a price that was 1,700 baht cheaper.

I called them up to ask why my policy premium had increased when I had not made a claim and was told that they have to charge me "the market price". When I said that they are a company and its up to them what they charge, I was told, no, we have to charge the market price. 

Does anyone have any ideas about this as, frankly, I'm finding it hard to believe.

I then told them I could get the same quote at a cheaper price if I applied online as a new customer and was told that the online quote didn't have the complete information and they would look into it and call me back. I know one piece of information that isn't in the online quote that they ask before they give the final quote and that is whether you're a Thai national or not.

I was asked that last year and the year before.

Meanwhile. my wife, who as I posted above, made a claim last year, paid less than the previous year on her renewal, which was made a few months ago.

I would hate to think that Roojai are operating a dual-pricing policy for foreigners.

1 minute ago, nahkit said:

I recently had a quote from Roojai for the renewal for my car and they are quoting me a higher premium than last year for slightly less coverage, my no-claims bonus is the same as last year at 50%.

I went online to get a quote as a new customer and for the same coverage as shown in their renewal quote, I was offered a price that was 1,700 baht cheaper.

I called them up to ask why my policy premium had increased when I had not made a claim and was told that they have to charge me "the market price". When I said that they are a company and its up to them what they charge, I was told, no, we have to charge the market price. 

Does anyone have any ideas about this as, frankly, I'm finding it hard to believe.

I then told them I could get the same quote at a cheaper price if I applied online as a new customer and was told that the online quote didn't have the complete information and they would look into it and call me back. I know one piece of information that isn't in the online quote that they ask before they give the final quote and that is whether you're a Thai national or not.

Meanwhile. my wife, who as I posted above, made a claim last year, paid less than the previous year on her renewal, which was made a few months ago.

I would hate to think that Roojai are operating a dual-pricing policy for foreigners.

I'm not sure but could it be the that it works to a specific agent's benefit to get a bit more out of you? I had something similar happen with Direct Asia a couple of years ago, where the quote was higher than the previous year. In the end, when I talked to the agent, she agreed to a quote a little lower than the year before. When you get a renewal reminder from Direct Asia, it names a specific agent (not necessarily the same each year) and if you call, you talk to that person. It didn't take her very long to change the quote and she didn't seem to need any authorization, so it made me think that she may be working within certain parameters and earning based on those. No idea if that's the case and this has only happened once from a number of years with Direct Asia. 

• Like 1

I got the call back a couple of hours after I posted and ended up paying slightly less than the online quote and around 2,100 baht less than the renewal quote.

Trying to find out why I had received a much higher renewal quote was a waste of time, went round in circles for about 10 minutes at which point I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. 

On 10/26/2021 at 5:54 PM, Roojai said:

Dear nahkit,

Apologies for the long wait during the claim process.

Regarding the repair process, although the "Repair at any garage" option gives you total freedom, we do ask customers who decide to repair their vehicle at another garage not in Roojai’s garage list (preferred or dealer), we do ask them to contact us at least 24 hours in advance so that we can make arrangements with the garage to accommodate them. We need to have a letter of agreement even with those who are not in our preferred garage list.

Sorry if the agent was not clear in explaining why the fluids were not covered. The reason is that they are a consumable part of the vehicle, and are considered as regular wear and tear of the vehicle. Same, for example, why tires replacement for simple wear and tear is not included in the coverage.

Finally regarding the difference between your new customer quote and renewal quote, it is mainly because you selected different driver plans: “any driver over 25 years old” for your renewal, and “named driver” for the new business quote.
Our pricing model is automated and based on several questions we ask before giving you a quote. We do not ask for nationality before providing a price. And the individual agent has no way of influencing the customer quotation, other than suggesting different coverages, as changing excess, driver plan or garage plan.

We hope this clarifies the points.

The Roojai team

Thank you for your detailed reply, however, your answers are just as confusing as when I talk to your telephone operator.

With regard to repairing the vehicle at our garage of choice, the delay had nothing to do with obtaining 24 hour advance clearing, we were still receiving problems from the garage regarding not wanting to do the repair more than one week after the car had been taken to the garage.

As for the fluids being considered "regular wear and tear" same as tyres, where exactly in the policy does it state that fluids are not covered?

Exclusions.jpg.25513b223a2e60560652b237b2e42834.jpg

The above is from the insurance coverage booklet provided in English. Section 7.4 states that tyres are not part of the coverage, where does it actually state that fluids are not part of the coverage?

Finally, your statement that the difference in the renewal quotation and the one I obtained online is down to my requesting "named driver" is plain wrong.

The following attachment shows the online coverage quotation I obtained following your renewal quote asking for more than 12,000 baht. You can clearly see that I have requested coverage for "any driver over 25 years of age".

506613231_roojairenewal.jpg.fa2be438ad472b5a7c6739319f74f025.jpg

I look forward to your reply, particularly as to why there is no mention of fluids in your coverage exclusion details.

On 10/20/2021 at 11:40 AM, nahkit said:

Sorry bit late with the response,

We had a claim with them last year when our son went off the road in the wife's car.

We contacted them using their app and it took a while (20 mins or so) to get a response from them but they sent someone out after about an hour. In fairness, we were about 70 kms outside of the city so they would probably have had to come from there.

We had two problems with the actual claim, one was with the garage, rather than Roojai - we paid extra for the "any garage" option and took the car back to the dealer we bought it from. They huffed and moaned about Roojai not being a company they dealt with and tried to get us to pay up front but we refused and called Roojai about it and I guess they dealt with it because we didn't pay anything up front. They were still moaning about us not using an insurer they "liked" when we went to pick up the car.

The other problem was that although we had the 3,000 baht excess, we were asked to pay over 4,000 baht in excess (cant remember the exact amount) and we were told the extra money was for fluids which are not covered under the policy. When I questioned Roojai about this, they told me it was in the policy, and gave me a section and paragraph number to refer to. I looked it up, said nothing about having to pay for fluids so I called them back and was told someone would get back to us to explain it but nobody did and we ended up paying the extra as the garage wouldn't let the car go otherwise.

On the plus side, when we renewed they hadn't dropped the no-claims bonus.

* Forgot to say that despite the claim, her renewal premium also went down this year.

Had 3 claims with them the last 5yrs, all 3 the fault of other driver, found them very professional, vehicle went to same body shop everytime in Chiang Mai. Can't fault Roojai.

On 10/28/2021 at 8:47 AM, nahkit said:

Thank you for your detailed reply, however, your answers are just as confusing as when I talk to your telephone operator.

With regard to repairing the vehicle at our garage of choice, the delay had nothing to do with obtaining 24 hour advance clearing, we were still receiving problems from the garage regarding not wanting to do the repair more than one week after the car had been taken to the garage.

As for the fluids being considered "regular wear and tear" same as tyres, where exactly in the policy does it state that fluids are not covered?

Exclusions.jpg.25513b223a2e60560652b237b2e42834.jpg

The above is from the insurance coverage booklet provided in English. Section 7.4 states that tyres are not part of the coverage, where does it actually state that fluids are not part of the coverage?

Finally, your statement that the difference in the renewal quotation and the one I obtained online is down to my requesting "named driver" is plain wrong.

The following attachment shows the online coverage quotation I obtained following your renewal quote asking for more than 12,000 baht. You can clearly see that I have requested coverage for "any driver over 25 years of age".

506613231_roojairenewal.jpg.fa2be438ad472b5a7c6739319f74f025.jpg

I look forward to your reply, particularly as to why there is no mention of fluids in your coverage exclusion details.

Dear nahkit,

It's the exclusion clause 7.1.

The fluid itself is a consumable part. As such, it is part of the depreciation or wear and tear exclusion. 

A wear and tear exclusion is a provision in an insurance policy that states that the normal deterioration of the insured object is not covered by the insurance policy. Insurance is designed only to protect against unforeseen losses. Wear and tear is a common exclusion in property and casualty insurance all over the world.

The fluid change was judged by the claim handler as not part of the necessary repair caused by the claim.

Regarding the different quotation, there is some confusion here. We were talking about the difference between the original renewal quote and the website quote. That is because of the different driver plans: any driver over 25 for the renewal quotation (more expensive), named driver on the website quotation (cheaper).

Regarding the successive renewal invitation after you discussed with the agent, it's because of the reduced coverage in Third-party bodily injuries: 2 million THB for the original renewal quote, 1 million THB for the successive version (max. 10 million THB in both cases).

Finally, regarding the garage experience, please do consider that once you will receive the satisfaction survey for the overall claim. We do show those garage ratings in the garage map so customers can choose their repair garage accordingly.

Regards,

The Roojai team

• Like 1

After all the glowing reports about Roojay, I signed up with them. I paid my premium on September 29, got the insurance papers on October 9 (via email) and then, nothing. I realized on October 27 that I had not received the insurance confirmation to be put onto the car window. I called, I was promised to get it via email (to print out myself). Nothing. I contacted them via the app on October 28, nothing. I called again today, someone eventually called me back. Turns out they 'forgot' to send it to me (not that they admitted to that, of course), only posted it on October 28, it is still 'on the way somewhere' (policy starts tomorrow). And all that seems perfectly ok for them, no apology, no nothing, <deleted> weak service, if you ask me. 

21 hours ago, Roojai said:

Regarding the different quotation, there is some confusion here. We were talking about the difference between the original renewal quote and the website quote. That is because of the different driver plans: any driver over 25 for the renewal quotation (more expensive), named driver on the website quotation (cheaper).

Seems you are the one still confused, the quotation I included in my previous post IS the WEBSITE quotation that I obtained, and it clearly shows under "Driver" that it includes any driver over 25. Your original renewal quote, dated August 22nd, was for 12,645.69 baht and also was for any driver over 25. I have saved the current renewal email containing the terms and will be happy to be post it here. I also have my renewal quotation for 2020 saved, which again is for any driver over 25. I did not request a named driver policy last year and I have not requested one this year. 

So my "more expensive" option came in more than 2,000 baht cheaper than your renewal.

You appear to employ the same tactics as your phone representative, i.e. introduce spurious facts and continue to ignore the truth.

As for the the third-party 2 million versus 1 million quote, your agent said that the difference in cost between the two would add about 1,000 baht to the policy not the 2,154.35 baht extra you were trying to charge me on the renewal.

On 10/30/2021 at 11:07 AM, nahkit said:

Seems you are the one still confused, the quotation I included in my previous post IS the WEBSITE quotation that I obtained, and it clearly shows under "Driver" that it includes any driver over 25. Your original renewal quote, dated August 22nd, was for 12,645.69 baht and also was for any driver over 25. I have saved the current renewal email containing the terms and will be happy to be post it here. I also have my renewal quotation for 2020 saved, which again is for any driver over 25. I did not request a named driver policy last year and I have not requested one this year. 

So my "more expensive" option came in more than 2,000 baht cheaper than your renewal.

You appear to employ the same tactics as your phone representative, i.e. introduce spurious facts and continue to ignore the truth.

As for the the third-party 2 million versus 1 million quote, your agent said that the difference in cost between the two would add about 1,000 baht to the policy not the 2,154.35 baht extra you were trying to charge me on the renewal.

Dear nahkit,

This is Federico, Chief Marketing Officer at Roojai. Allow me to get involved here.

I verified with the call center, claim and social media teams, and all the information they provided are correct. Although, I do apologize if you feel they didn't communicate them properly. You have multiple quotes under your contract and for each one of them I can see there is some difference in the inputted parameters.

Our pricing model is based on dozens of parameters, it is fully automated and there is no individual decision made by any of our agent, nor there are any individual decision taken for any given customer.

We are fully aware that this is a free and open market. We try hard to provide great service at a competitive price for all our customers at all time of their policy lifecycle. We have very competitive market with almost 60 insurers in Thailand, fighting for your business.
If you feel at any time that we are not offering the best value for money I do encourage you to compare quotes in the marketplace. I do suggest to use a comparison website like MrKumka.com (disclaimer: they are a sister company but they offer many insurance quotes other than from Roojai). There are many more available online.
We hope you will find us the best for your needs, but in case we are not, we do fully understand your decision not to renew your policy with us.
We never take any of our customer for granted.

Kind Regards,

Federico

On 10/28/2021 at 8:58 AM, roo860 said:

Had 3 claims with them the last 5yrs, all 3 the fault of other driver, found them very professional, vehicle went to same body shop everytime in Chiang Mai. Can't fault Roojai.

I have heard of situations like yours in the USA where the other driver was always at fault and their company dropped them.  They used the pretense that the driver was obviously not a defensive driver. 

On 10/20/2021 at 11:51 AM, nahkit said:

Just had a quote from Roojai and the premium for me was less than it was for my Thai Partner....Dual Pricing!!!!

• Like 1