Top Thai virologist claims herd immunity does not work with COVID-19

webfact

once again we see why Thailand is becoming a laughing stock of the world, between all the open corruption that has been on show  we now have a so called top virologist making out  tetanus is contagious, really shows why thai doctors are not regarded very highly by the rest of the world and this one is classed as a top virologist here, no wonder thay have to resit a doctors exam to be able to see if they are intelligent enough to work as a doctor in Australia then have to redo much of the studies required, says a lot about thai teaching methods

It seems the thai virologist has just caught up to where a lot of countries were 3 months ago. Living with Covid as an endemic virus has been a constant topic of discussion. Even Australia started to take off their lockdown blinkers and accept that Covid is here to stay.

herd immunity has unfortunately turned out to be an urban myth in the case of Covid.

• Like 1

I've been questioning the concept of herd immunity since vaccination of covid began. How can we reach herd immunity when the vaccine does not stop the spread of the virus? It only mitigates the severity if one catches it. Talk of herd immunity should be deemed as fake news as, as this guy says, it is not achievable until we find a vaccine that kills or stops the virus in it's tracks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

You beat me to the punch 

as I was typing "As far as I know Tetanus is not contagious from person to person. "

I noticed your post.????

Which is not what he was suggesting, he WAS suggesting that LIKE Covid, herd immunity is not conferred with Tetanus.  If everyone else is getting a Tetanus vaccination. and you aren't vaccinated,  you can still get Tetanus, like Covid i.e no herd immunity.  He was using it  as an allegory, for the many who live amongst us who are perhaps a little slow of mind and unable to grok the concept.

It's interesting news to me and him using the tetanus allegory made perfect sense to understand the concept.. I am trusting but will verify from another source at some date.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

The Virus is SARS Corona 2 

The disease it causes is COVID 19

Vaccines protect a person from developing the disease COVID 19 and help the body defeat the virus before it get a chance to replicate and lead to the disease 

I wish people would get on board with this before making missleading statements

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Why is he still refered to as a 'top virologist?' He has come out of hiding after the last barrage of critisism only to be savaged again.

Quote: 

COVID-19

During the COVID-19 pandemic in Thailand, Poovorawan served as an advisor to Prayut Chan-o-cha's government. He often exaggerated the efficacy of the disputed CoronaVac, which the country heavily relied on for immunization, including suggestion that a third dose of CoronaVac may result in an immunity more or less comparable to that of Pfizer-BioNTech's vaccine,[7][8] or arguing for the mixing Sinovac's and AstraZeneca's vaccines based on a very small human trial.[9]

In July 2021, his article in Thai Wikipedia was vandalized, which includes text accusing him of being "Sinovac's salesman". A complaint was filed by Poovorawan's attorney, which led to an arrest of the wrongdoer within 3 days.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yong_Poovorawan

50 minutes ago, rumak said:

good try !    but the brainwashed contingent here will not benefit from "thinking about it" .

heck, just read yahoo and listen to CNN ............. they got all the facts !     

Well then let’s get the facts from Fox , Newsmax, OANN and from Dr Simone Gold. ???? 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

I've been questioning the concept of herd immunity since vaccination of covid began. How can we reach herd immunity when the vaccine does not stop the spread of the virus? It only mitigates the severity if one catches it. Talk of herd immunity should be deemed as fake news as, as this guy says, it is not achievable until we find a vaccine that kills or stops the virus in it's tracks.

you have to understand what the term "Herd Immunity" actually means, it also means the virus loses traction and dies out which experts are now saying is not possible with SARS Corona 2

Herd immunity and COVID-19 (coronavirus): What you need to know - Mayo Clinic

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

If virtually nobody is spreading COVID due to the wonderful miracle vaccines then the unvaccinated / immunocompromised / non previously infected part of the 'herd' won't catch it because they're much less likely to breath it in due to being surrounded by people who don't have COVID.

I think he left out a little bit of information from his post, something that would clarify what he's saying.

He should explain why this is the case specifically for COVID.

COVID.vaccination prevents you only from seriously getting ill, but you can still catch and spread it because vaccination does not prevent you from breathing the virus in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

right, think I’ll stay with western medical institute opinion on that…

FDA/ EMA / MHRA

As it happens I read the same in western media. It is a simple mathematical formula, where with the contagious nature of the delta variant herd immunity is not possible.

50 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Well then let’s get the facts from Fox , Newsmax, OANN and from Dr Simone Gold. ???? 

try the "controversial covid corner"  thread .    that is where intelligent posters have gone to 

get un brainwashed first .     otherwise don't waste your or my time  

(Although  it appears Cigna is sponsoring bad news items to sell insurance) This is the most confused item to date! Vaccination boosts immune systems to prevent serious immune system overload (cytokine storm) blood clotting and death of the unvaccinated individual. Herd immunity is achieved when the virus is unable to find any hosts which implies whole population vaccination so even the 70pc is misleading! The new oral medication following early diagnosis will be a lifesaver as it will only be used when an infection has been identified and it actually disables the virus so will be effective against all variants. Yes herd immunity is a misnoma until the entire herd is immune and no further hosts are available as history proves  and Antivaxers should either be forced to get jabbed or be isolated together on a suitable Island (Phuket?) Antivaxers jepardise everyone else by being the potential source of more variants

• Like 2

4 hours ago, smedly said:

I wish people would stop posting inaccurate information like this it not correct (for now) - there are breakthrough infections happening but boosters seem to negate that also, don't forget we are still very early in the evolution of this virus 

Vaccines do not stop a virus entering the body (the absolute definition of infection)

They do prevent a person from developing COVID 19 (the disease) in the vast majority of cases and therefore help prevent spreading of the virus,

Please do some research before posting incorrect information 

You can start here - it is a long video but well worth watching and pretty much covers everything there is to know about vaccines - SARS Corona 2 Virus and the COVID 19 disease it causes 

Yes,a long video to watch.But well worth the time spent !!!! Also,one can shorten it by going to the subjects that interests one most. At my age,for instance,I am not interested in whether it has any impact on the ability to have children; I skipped that segment.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cclub75 said:

Many of the "colds" are in fact coronaviruses... And this is precisely why there is no (long term) immunity against "colds".

yes indeed but then comes along a dangerous CV that is quite deadly and kills a lot of people 

That is the problem right there and why this particular CV has got our attention

3 hours ago, Zack61 said:

the vaccine helps stop you developing the disease known as COVID 19 caused by the SARS CV 2, if you don't develope the disease with or without symptoms then you will be extremely unlikely to pass it on to someone else as replication in your body is stopped/surpressed and Viral Load remains low 

• Like 1