Pandora Papers expose world leaders’ offshore entities, Thai tycoon families among listed

snoop1130

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

That is problem in that country where he/she has make money not problem of bank! Hope nobody dont want stop global banking system?! Or we can go back in stone age and sent money whit "letters"! Soon i finaly buy Bitcoin LOL

Buy Shiba Inu instead, starting to move. Bitcoin to expensive already.

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

When a politician whose salary is less than $200, 000 has millions stowed in offshore accounts , It does not take a great leap of imagination to think that such funds are the result of illegal activity. 

Just look at that old hag Nancy Palouse . They are inside trading all the time but corruption doesn’t happen in the west ……

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Most of  offshore entities  are not illegal! Its only good tax planning. If you have several million's capital, why pay extra tax or tax over tax. I was doing tax planning, my Finnish company owner was my Estonia company whitch was owned company in Scotland. In Scotland i had only adress whit 3 other guy's, one room residence. But if want pay extra tax go for it. Have sold already all, dont know how this company "trik" works now days. But normal things, ofcourse if there is criminal money that kind need find.

That's all very well for those that have paid fair taxes.

But the kind of transactions and companies involved in these offshore entities are avoiding tax, and using, shell companies, shuffling money around and smart lawyers.

In NZ a book was written about it called the Wine Box,  which incolved the Cook Islands and all those other islands mentioned in the article.

It involved the countries top financial people lawyers , the IRD, a lengthy inquiry, which cost the tax payers, eventually a Lawyer investigating this got to the Cayman islands and got a court order to look at documents stored there, guess what? they allowed him access to the documents and to read them , but he was not allowed to copy them , remove them , so he was gazumped at the finish line.  

Some people were found dead, one drowned in a swimming pool at his home.

It shook NZ, and many overseas investors, but in the end no one was prosecuted, the government changed some tax laws but not enough to stop this.

NZ is regarded as one of the best places in the world to use these schemes.

Read the book "The Wine Box" by Rod Wishart, a real eye opener.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tingtong said:

Look at it this way:

Finally a lucky break for TAT.

They were long and hard on the hunt for bringing in the wealthy...

Now they got a list of names to approach!

No more excuses!!

Domestic travel should increase exponentially then?

12 hours ago, Emdog said:

"It's not illegal" is typical defense of offshore accounts

Who writes the laws? Who is beholden to the rich and powerful?

It's not illegal but embarrassing for those on 50-80K baht salary per month having millions offshore.

• Like 2

I see nothing wrong with legitimate offshore tax efficient entities. Finance savvy investors use them all of the time and the process is not illegal. The illegal part is simply how the funds were gained in the use of such companies and that is local investigation such as in 1MDB etc.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Well and good, but unless:

a) They've actually done something illegal outside of Thailand. and

b) an international court takes action.....

It's just a mild embarrassment, in fact some of them might even gain enormous face in the places that matter to them.

It's not a crime unless a Thai court convicts. 

Precedent already been set with Thammanat. 

Who makes a lot of money already , still wants to hide it offshore for tax reasons .

That is a form of corruption that is not benefiting any country , only the already rich account holders .

If even politicians have offshore accounts , they probably have to hide some ( illegal ) income ... in this case they are involved in something that should be officially declared .

It is not logic that the rich can do that , but not the ' normal ' guy who works and pays taxes .

I hope that , one day , politicians will be replaced by AI .

And that the super rich will be obliged to pay their taxes in the country where they do their business ...

• Like 1

Well and good, but unless:

a) They've actually done something illegal outside of Thailand. and

b) an international court takes action.....

It's just a mild embarrassment, in fact some of them might even gain enormous face in the places that matter to them.

Well they might loose their next election but not their inflated Gov pension I expect.

There's plenty wrong with tax avoidance. Mainly that it's only reserved for the elites of this crappy planet. I was almost put in jail for daring to have an measly few kilos of gold outside of Australia (all declared) whilst being a permanent expat!

Think it's BS? Ask a good overseas tax accountant. I lost a lot of my super unwinding that at prices lower than I bought, to avoid becoming a criminal fugitive. 

My super is still in Australia returning good rates tax free 17.5% for half of it 34% for the other half last year.

The Fund and Government know I’m here.

Maybe your overseas  accountant is not that good.

Meanwhile, back in the good old US of A, the Biden Administration wants to put the spotlight on every American bank account worth $600 or more.  Hey man, this ain't no joke, there must be some unpaid taxes in there somewhere.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joules said:

Meanwhile, back in the good old US of A, the Biden Administration wants to put the spotlight on every American bank account worth $600 or more.  Hey man, this ain't no joke, there must be some unpaid taxes in there somewhere.  

Can you better explain, and defend, your claim that "the Biden Administration wants to put the spotlight on every American bank account worth $600 or more."?

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

I've always considered it odd that many Thai banks feel the need for branches in the Cayman islands. 

The Thai Military Bank, for example.  Not only the Caymans, also one in Vientiane, Laos.   I suppose that one is more convenient for cash deposits from China, such as the buyer's commissions on the submarine deals.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Can you better explain, and defend, your claim that "the Biden Administration wants to put the spotlight on every American bank account worth $600 or more."?

3 minutes ago, Joules said:

Apparently, after the citizen outcry, the plan is being revised.  I am posting a link to Yahoo news, I hope that is legal.  If not, you can Goggle it.  Here's the link:  https://news.yahoo.com/democrats-raise-cap-biden-irs-110000327.html

6 minutes ago, Joules said:

Maybe his and his sons ….. he avoided $500 k last year and telling us to pay up ???? you couldn’t make it up 

• Like 1