Name the top three countries you would want to move to if you left Thailand other than your home country

Jingthing

23 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Mexico. Ridiculously rich culture, compared to near bankruptcy here, when it comes to true culture. Dance, theatre, jazz, wine, film festivals, people who understand their own language, when you try to speak it to them, a language in our alphabet, without the ridiculous tones, etc. And gorgeous seafood cooked by people who know the difference between a grill and a frying pan filled with oil.

Spain. Again rich culture. Good food. Real civilization. Proximity to Europe. But, the visa is not easy for an American, the taxation issues are daunting, and it is not cheap.

Turkey. Likely only part of the year in the south. Gorgeous areas, nice people, good food, decent standard of living. Antalya, the Bodrum peninsula area, Kalkan, Bursa, Fethiye, Alanya, Marmaris, and other great spots to live. 

I hear Croatia is very nice too. Have not checked it out yet. And Colombia is amazing too. Many of those countries are moving forward into the 21st century. Thailand is moving backwards at an alarming pace. This place represents the polar opposite of progress on a dozen significant levels. 

Without a doubt: Croatia

Portugal completely over-rated. I lived there and it isn't cheap.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand does not have much of it. I consider true culture to be a mix of great film making, poetry, fine art appreciation and preservation, live music other than just the latest pop star, live theatre, dance performance, festivals of all sorts (wine, film, dance, etc), and more. I could go on all day. Thailand is fairly devoid of interesting culture, unless you count the occasional puppet show, or Issan dancing. What else am I missing?

That's what I miss. I went to university in Edinburgh where there is so much of that. I'd love to go to an opera, show, alternative cinema, or even just a pub that has lots of history. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand does not have much of it. I consider true culture to be a mix of great film making, poetry, fine art appreciation and preservation, live music other than just the latest pop star, live theatre, dance performance, festivals of all sorts (wine, film, dance, etc), and more. I could go on all day. Thailand is fairly devoid of interesting culture, unless you count the occasional puppet show, or Issan dancing. What else am I missing?

And when you are farang you never get real respect in Thailand! Nobody wai you like should , even you are older person, even farang teacher not get respect what they deserve! Almost everybody look you down sadly not many farang understand that. You try honor they culture and respect they way of life, mostly you not get nothing back! But even from tiny misstake they "crucify" you and show your picture in front page of newspaper! Whit big headline "Here is idiot farang who not take shoes off when go in temple"!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

occasional puppet show

You mean: the daily puppet show of TAT and co?

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand does not have much of it. I consider true culture to be a mix of great film making, poetry, fine art appreciation and preservation, live music other than just the latest pop star, live theatre, dance

What you are referring to is called "fine arts" not culture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have friends in Brasil, Phillippines and Portugal, so it would be easy to move if I need to. 

Reasons for not moving to Brasil: Safety

Reasons for not moving to Phil: Possible future conflict with China

Reasons for not moving to Portugal: None Ecxept I like Asian and Latinas better ???? 

Brazil hands down if only their retirement visa included a tax exemption!

If I have to bail out of TH, Peru or Argentina are on my plan B list (foreign pensions tax-free for holders of a visa de rentista).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

That's the age I get my pension. I want to then spend half the year outside Thailand. 

If that half year is all at one time, then I'd pick Thai's high season, NOT to be here.  Nov-April. Though catch the cusp of (Sept / Oct then April May rains start), whether just before or after to enjoy the Andaman Sea side without tourist, during normal times.

Pre-covid, the millions of tourist in South of Thailand, and wee bit of smog, along the heavy smog from Hua Hin and above, Bkk & the N, really should be avoided, IMHO.  Packed beaches in the South, and no mountain visas in the North, really ruin a holiday.

Rainy season here 'was', is one of my favorites.  Actually went to the N during, first time I think, and lovely vistas, that I missed in the past.  Same with Andaman Sea (Phuket).  Perfection this past year, high season, without the tourist, as I stopped going 10 yrs ago, and never during high season, as low season was too crowded for me.

If not living in, the USA, if never been or limited traveling, during high season here, as low season there in many places, since most travel during summer school breaks.  Size & diversity of the country makes it amazing.  All the Americas IMO.

17 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Awwwww... are you hurt? And do you really, fully, understand the wai culture? Somehow I doubt it.

No im not hurt! Maybe i really understand and that is problem! I dont know where you move or what you do normaly.  If you go your 5 star hotel and get your "wai" in lobby maybe you feel respected and get nice feeling. Yes i have not live Thailand 10+ years in my ivory tower!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

No im not hurt! Maybe i really understand and that is problem! I dont know where you move or what you do normaly.  If you go your 5 star hotel and get your "wai" in lobby maybe you feel respected and get nice feeling. Yes i have not live Thailand 10+ years in my ivory tower!

10+ years and apparently you do not understand that Farang are not part of the wai culture. Most Thais don't even see you.

26 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I have friends in Brasil, Phillippines and Portugal, so it would be easy to move if I need to. 

Reasons for not moving to Portugal: None Ecxept I like Asian and Latinas better ???? 

You will see a lot of "Brasileiras" in Portugal.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I like your negative approach, ha ha.

For me, I have a negative for Portugal.

Their language sounds like Russian to me and raises my blood pressure to hear it.

If only they spoke Brazilian! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Their language sounds like Russian to me and raises my blood pressure to hear it.

Fado/Portugal

Just now, mikebike said:

10+ years and apparently you do not understand that Farang are not part of the wai culture. Most Thais don't even see you.

I see you not understand my txt! That was just what i was talking about! Sorry my English! Point was , almost every other place you can be part of country's life/culture! And what was asked i choose Phillipines. 

10 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Yes i have not live Thailand 10+ years in my ivory tower!

Just now, 2 is 1 said:

I see you not understand my txt! That was just what i was talking about! Sorry my English! Point was , almost every other place you can be part of country's life/culture! And what was asked i choose Phillipines. 

No worries about the English!!

But, if you understand , why would you expect a proper wai? Not going to happen with most random Thais. Maybe with friends and acquaintances.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I could say Spain to, but they are so sick and tired of all the tourists and retired retarded and the whole charm with spain is gone. Malaysia is also a good alternative. And there is nothing I dislike with Malaysia. Great roads, great friendly people, and good infrastructure and no big surprises. A bit more expensive, but still a great choice. Some do not like muslims, and that is the only reason for not even consider Malaysia.

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Why is it that when people refer to Ireland, they don't say Northern Ireland or The Republic of Ireland. Don't they know they are two separate countries? One is part of the UK and one isn't.

Yes that is true.  However I think most regard the warmth and congeniality of the Irish "people" whether they reside in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.  I have traveled in both.  There is no "border signs" no going through customs etc.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bojo said:

and you can and do.............................. I understand you're making a point, and I hear you, but come on...RV,,,,,,you could have chosen a better example, the whole world knows what an RV is..!!!

Americans know what RV is - When I left the UK some years ago, no-one would have a clue what it meant... and that situation probably hasn't changed.. ????

Edited by simon43

3 minutes ago, mikebike said:

No worries about the English!!

But, if you understand , why would you expect a proper wai? Not going to happen with most random Thais. Maybe with friends and acquaintances.

I dont care random Thais! I think Thais attitude. Many some high position Thais watch you like you are circus animal! Should have education to behave and show respect to other's! Just starters you understand they not respect you and that is problem in they way! Even they have many smile, they think nobody farang cant understand they culture, but first meet(what all Thais know right away) if they dont wai or wai is not "high" enough all know! Everybody in room know he/she has already F whit Y, you should know that also! That is point to know meaning of wai!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, simon43 said:

When I left the UK some years ago, no-one would have a clue what it meant... and that situation probably hasn't changed

Half of the UK now owns a motor home or converted van, its the new normal.

2 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

I dont care random Thais! I think Thais attitude. Many some high position Thais watch you like you are circus animal! Should have education to behave and show respect to other's! Just starters you understand they not respect you and that is problem in they way! Even they have many smile, they think nobody farang cant understand they culture, but first meet(what all Thais know right away) if they dont wai or wai is not "high" enough all know! Everybody in room know he/she has already F whit Y, you should know that also! That is point to know meaning of wai!

Why do you believe you should be shown respect? You are a farang. You are not part of Thai culture. You are almost invisible.