Name the top three countries you would want to move to if you left Thailand other than your home country

Jingthing

One of the many Greek Islands, like Kos, or Rhodes, Patmos or Samos, not mainland Greece, Cyprus would also be a goer, love Greek, Cypriot food, climate and the chilled lifestyle.

As a 3rd option, probably Malta or an island off of southern Italy, again, mainly for the chilled lifestyle, food, climate and cost of living of course.

But I'm stuck here in Isaan because I love my wife too muk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Colombia (the women), Sri Lanka (the food), Vietnam (super cheap -like Thailand pre-2000s costs) baaaaaby !

Now easier, or previously easier to stay in all of them vs

hostile immigration Thailand.

Oh, forgot Portugal also as an alternative to one of the above.

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Serbia gets very cold! We're in Vila Nova de Milfontes, Portugal, right now. Fantastic. Though getting a bit chilly now.

Lovely people here in Portugal. We've been here over a month.

Agree 100%. You're on the Atlantic coast and it does get cool and blustery. One Christmas stayed in Nazare. For two days we were strongly advised not to leave the hotel. By the third day the rain and wind had subsided. Most shop awnings had been torn off and the road signs were bent over. However, spent another Christmas on the Algarve in Vilamoura and it was 25C on Christmas Day.

14 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

One of the many Greek Islands, like Kos, or Rhodes, Patmos or Samos, not mainland Greece, Cyprus would also be a goer, love Greek, Cypriot food, climate and the chilled lifestyle.

As a 3rd option, probably Malta or an island off of southern Italy, again, mainly for the chilled lifestyle, food, climate and cost of living of course.

But I'm stuck here in Isaan because I love my wife too muk. 

I see Issan has nothing of what you want, a wife is also "transportable" to the places you want to live. I have make this before and never regret Issan.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, LNKDES1 said:

Mexico, Belize, Portugal

Cost of living, food, language, culture, topography

First went to Belize in the 80's - was very nice.

Now - with Cartels - not.

You do not want to be in many places in Belize City anymore.

Ranks right up there with Guatemala

I am retired, and at 74, not sure what employment I could get, although I do have an electrical engineering qualification, so I suppose I could put that to use as a sort of electrical handyman – – however my choices would be: –

Rarotonga – – where I could just relax and enjoy the scenery and peace and quiet, and as a bonus it is only a short distance from Australia and New Zealand if I needed surgery etc.

Portugal – – somewhere down the south where it stays a little bit warmer, and I would go for the food and the wine.

Spain perhaps, or somewhere in the South of France, and I would choose that for the food and the wine.

I have been to Malta and for some reason I couldn't take to it?? Perhaps I should try it again sometime.

Someone else suggested the Greek islands, and I could see myself giving those a try.

I did like the Vietnamese people when I visited, but I believe the OP (or someone) said that it is not easy to get into Vietnam long time, if you are retired?

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

After so many years I am done with all the immigration BS so Asia, Central and South America are now out for me. I have USA and EU passports so Portugal, Spain, Italy most likely but there might be other choices in the EuroZone. Too Bad about Brexit.

3 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

A couple of years ago I was in Las Vegas and met a couple from Mexico who had immigrated to the USA.  I asked them about Lake Chapala which is a beautiful mountain area that was extremely popular with expatriates.  

They said it use to be safe but no longer not so much.  I said, well where exactly in Mexico is safe.  The replied NOWHERE.  

Even the resort towns like Cancun, Cozumel, and Los Cabos have experienced the drug gang violence.  They were once sacrosanct as safe because the government knew if tourists feared coming they would shun them.  

Belize was once a haven but not so safe any longer.  Though not without some violence Costa Rica and Panama are probably safer places than anyplace in Mexico. 

20 years ago, I was headed out on a long term RV trip to Mexico. My family told me horror stories and tried to warn me against going. I was in Vegas.

So...opened the local paper and read out crime after crime. All committed within the past few days.

Crickets....

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

So...opened the local paper and read out crime after crime. All committed within the past few days.

There is crime all over.  There are areas of the USA that I would fear as much as Mexico.  Major thing difference in Mexico is that you probably have as much to fear from the police as the criminals.  

In California they decriminalized shoplifting.  Now it is rampant with people knowing they wont be charged.  In Mexico, those that conduct armed robberies, kidnapping, rape etc are also rampant knowing the authorities will do nothing to them.  Total lawlessness. 

Vietnam Danang if possible, Nepal Kathmandu or India Kerala...  Maybe after the ravages of the virus Vietnam will be more welcoming to retirees?  In your introduction, you say it is not possible for a retiree (Canadian) to live in Vietnam, can you explain?  

Thailand with his forced mandatory Insurance is making it difficult for a 70 years old to stay.

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

I can come up with bs like this for every country in the world.

BS ? - take it up with the YouTube poster.

But looking forward to posts of other countries in the same situation

Edited by seedy