Name the top three countries you would want to move to if you left Thailand other than your home country

Jingthing

3 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

As an Australian I would find the idea of retiring in much of the Americas or in Africa as a bit too foreign and unfamiliar. Going to Colombia or Costa Rica or Morocco might be a nice holiday but can't imagine living there. Europe seems a long way away too and I have no real link or connection.  So that's leaves Oceania and Asia.

Bali and the islands between to Timor are OK but wouldn't want to live there. Other Asian countries don't seem better or that desirable. New Zealand is nice. For me though it's Thailand and Australia. Can't think of three other countries that are actual contenders. 

Well thought out comments. As an Australian I’m guessing you are used to living at or near the sea? You will also prefer utilities and other services (such as door to door postal deliveries) that work reliably. A dual language Country would suit you best? The older we get the less we can tolerate cold weather. Health services become more important. If you appreciate history, culture and good food I wouldn’t personally write off Europe. Spain and Portugal offer much plus both have easily accessible Islands. 

• Like 2

To name three countries.

Firstly lets put Tasmania back where it belongs, as an Australian State, not a country. I lived there for 4 years and it was ok, not a retirement spot for me though.

I can omly sift through countries that I have been to in order to pick 3 countries, otherwise its a blind guess.

I would choose 

1. Turkey

2. Peru

3. Spain

Preferrably an area where I can get a real summer for a holiday feel and then a real long winter for comfort, including occassional snow. I don't mind the heat but I prefer winter weather conditions.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LNKDES1 said:

Mexico, Belize, Portugal

Cost of living, food, language, culture, topography

Belize gets hammered by hurricanes. Which seem to be getting worse. But a nice country.

We're going to explore Mexico early next year. I've spent a lot of time there. But going to check out the gringo enclaves of Lake Chapala, San Miguel de Allende and maybe Guanajuato. A friend from Thailand just moved to the latter and loves it.

I believe we've got a member here who just moved to Merida.

• Like 1

Greece, Philippines, Bali and maybe Malaysia.

Greece very cheap for EU standards, weather perfect all year long, food, great people...

Philippines lite version of Thailand

Bali became much cheaper recently, has everything.

Malaysia has smooth TV option for anyone under 50, but maybe too much conservative country for my taste

I currently live in Laos, but do have to consider the possibility of moving to another country in a few years from now because:

- My UK pension will be frozen at the rate in force when I retire in a few years.  EU countries and several other countries (mostly in EU) receive the index-linked pension increase...

- Hospitals in Laos are not so good (there is a new private hospital in Vientiane).  Older people need hospital more! (A general statement).

- Laos has recently restricted some of my ham radio activities - that's an important hobby for me.

My plan B list is:

1 - Turkey - no long-term visa problems for Brits, good weather and food, index-linked UK pension.

2 - er...

3 - er....

In other words, right now, only coastal Turkey is on my list.  (I do qualify for an EU passport through my Irish granddad, but I'd have to pay an agent to do all the paperwork etc).

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Belize gets hammered by hurricanes. Which seem to be getting worse. But a nice country.

We're going to explore Mexico early next year. I've spent a lot of time there. But going to check out the gringo enclaves of Lake Chapala, San Miguel de Allende and maybe Guanajuato. A friend from Thailand just moved to the latter and loves it.

I believe we've got a member here who just moved to Merida.

You should probably check out Queretaro too as long as you're going to be in that general central Mexican area.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, John Drake said:

(Could make Mexico, in the right city, permanent)

A couple of years ago I was in Las Vegas and met a couple from Mexico who had immigrated to the USA.  I asked them about Lake Chapala which is a beautiful mountain area that was extremely popular with expatriates.  

They said it use to be safe but no longer not so much.  I said, well where exactly in Mexico is safe.  The replied NOWHERE.  

Even the resort towns like Cancun, Cozumel, and Los Cabos have experienced the drug gang violence.  They were once sacrosanct as safe because the government knew if tourists feared coming they would shun them.  

Belize was once a haven but not so safe any longer.  Though not without some violence Costa Rica and Panama are probably safer places than anyplace in Mexico. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The Philippines, except that the food sucks and like the Thais, the elderly as well as unemployed middleaged men are constantly burning off, piles of leaves mixed with plastic bags. 

Who was it that said "They should never have sold guns and whisky to the Indians"?

I wish the Filipinos had never got hold of amplifiers, which add a torturous dimension to their gawd-awful kareoke.

However, if one can afford to live near a beach, it can be blissful.

(I have been stuck here, living in urban villages since march last year.)

The retirement visa does NOT need renewing and once granted, one can come and go from the country with freedom equal to that of Filipino citizens. To boot, no hassles buying land or a house and there is freedom to take employment. 

90-Day reporting?? ????

That's a mug's game.

Edited by TechnikaIII
Grammatical correction

34 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

If you wanted to stay in this region then your UK State Pension would not be frozen in the Philippines.

Yes, I'm aware of that.  I haven't really considered the Philippines, mainly because I've never visited and only hear horror stories about lack of security, terrible food etc.