Name the top three countries you would want to move to if you left Thailand other than your home country

Jingthing

Just now, mikebike said:

Why do you believe you should be shown respect? You are a farang. You are not part of Thai culture. You are almost invisible.

What if im Buddhist? If i get respect almost every other country why not in Thailand? Thailand want people to come in, you dont think they should chance they attitude? Most of respect i get coz my wife. They respect her high position so they give me crumb's lol

1 minute ago, 2 is 1 said:

What if im Buddhist? If i get respect almost every other country why not in Thailand? Thailand want people to come in, you dont think they should chance they attitude? Most of respect i get coz my wife. They respect her high position so they give me crumb's lol

No I do not. Respect is earned, not granted. What have you done in Thailand to earn respect other than aging?

29 minutes ago, mikebike said:

No I do not. Respect is earned, not granted. What have you done in Thailand to earn respect other than aging?

Yes maybe respect was wrong word. I have raist to respect older and i have shown that my behavior to others. Im not old enough to get "honored" im just 49, but have experiece from many culture's. 

After i come back home and see my mother in law again i show her thai way respect. Then she going to give me hugh (before anyway). Always when she find out i going out of Thailand ,  my wrist has been full "white string" everybody in village/family come to be my "friend". When is mothers day i have wai deep and go to ask her "blessing" whit my head on floor front of her. She putt her hand top my head say some whit Loei language. Not even Thai or isaan, at time she spoke Loei. Dont know how other people live in Thailand i live my own way and try be member of country. I only want nobody dont watch me down and be rasist! End of topic!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

54 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

I dont care random Thais! I think Thais attitude. Many some high position Thais watch you like you are circus animal! Should have education to behave and show respect to other's! Just starters you understand they not respect you and that is problem in they way! Even they have many smile, they think nobody farang cant understand they culture, but first meet(what all Thais know right away) if they dont wai or wai is not "high" enough all know! Everybody in room know he/she has already F whit Y, you should know that also! That is point to know meaning of wai!

Better to take that Chang vest off and dress properly, and cover up your gf's tattoos. ???? 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Better to take that Chang vest off and dress properly, and cover up your gf's tattoos. ???? 

LMAO! Where you buy yours put link! I know scotland is really boor to play soccer but they have cultural day dream that i had no idea. BTW have had over one gf and nobody dont have had any tattoo ever. I know you fancy to see some "dragon girl" i cant do that. But we all can watch your's ,many of us has seen her from behind anyway.

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Yes maybe respect was wrong word. I have raist to respect older and i have shown that my behavior to others. Im not old enough to get "honored" im just 49, but have experiece from many culture's. 

After i come back home and see my mother in law again i show her thai way respect. Then she going to give me hugh (before anyway). Always when she find out i going out of Thailand ,  my wrist has been full "white string" everybody in village/family come to be my "friend". When is mothers day i have wai deep and go to ask her "blessing" whit my head on floor front of her. She putt her hand top my head say some whit Loei language. Not even Thai or isaan, at time she spoke Loei. Dont know how other people live in Thailand i live my own way and try be member of country. I only want nobody dont watch me down and be rasist! End of topic!

I'm sorry brother but you are looking for/waiting for something that is not going to happen. You are looking at the situation thru western eyes, not Thai eyes. When you get past that thirst for recognition, things actually get better.

• Thanks 1

ITALY

SPAIN

MALAYSIA

PORTUGAL

In that order. cultural heartland towns. (thailand fifth).

NOT the tourist areas. SAFE & CIVILIZED. 

dont get the lawless <deleted>hole serious crime haven selections Mexico, Columbia, Cambodia.

nor the expensive remote sea level islands

nor countries that hate native english speakers : France

“maybe their IQ would even be higher”

yeah, apparently SE Asians have the same IQ range as most westerners averaging around 100. you could have fooled me. thailand has invented / created literally nothing noteworthy with no nobel prizes,no top unis, etc,, so zero rated to massive 100% rated Western acheivements.

In C. Murray’s seminal work “ The Bell Curve” he qualified IQ as sciemtific but “over- rated” and “only one factor” in human acheivement. He got that right. Japs have the highest IQ of all and also invented nothing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mikebike said:

I'm sorry brother but you are looking for/waiting for something that is not going to happen. You are looking at the situation thru western eyes, not Thai eyes. When you get past that thirst for recognition, things actually get better.

I never try be Thai! Im not! I know what is real and what is not! My marriege whit Filipina was fake and money base. Not whit my Thai wife! Still people can be better in Phil than in Thailand! If dont have much experience then show how much have or only shut up! If we are not talking from our own knowlege why we are talking about!? All can have own opinion but saying only somebody is wrong is bla bla bla.... and only from people who dont say nothing. Only say you are wrong, whitout say why he/she know better or what kind "experiense" have to tell otherwise! 

• Sad 1

Malaysia?

Are you having a laugh or are you just not in touch with the news?

I like it too but are so many of you here THAT rich?

I doubt it.

SHOCKING: New MM2H Programme Requirements Will Disqualify Nearly All Applicants AND Existing Visa Holders - ExpatGo

The just-announced revised MM2H programme comes with truly onerous new requirements called ‘hostile’ by one MM2Her, and consultants say it will likely doom the popular visa scheme.

The new Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) programme has been announced, and it will certainly not be welcomed by many people at all. The new requirements, which take effect in October 2021, add considerable strength to the argument that many expats have expressed to us, concluding that the current government simply does not want them here.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Half of the UK now owns a motor home or converted van, its the new normal.

Ah my bad.  Is Margaret Thatcher still PM? - It's been quite a few years since I lived in Ol' Blighty ????

• Like 2

As unwelcome as this may be: This is a good time to realise, that the doors are closing. The time, when a foreighner with a monthly pension of US$ 1000 was welcome everywhere in the 3rd world is coming to an end fast. In short: Have money, otherwise don't knock on our door.

More and more, it's not a question of "where I would like to live" but rather "where will I be allowed to live as a retired "stranger" with limited financial means. This will be the challenge for many Farangs in the future and not the "where I would like to live".
The doors are closing, accept and prepare!

45 minutes ago, swissie said:

As unwelcome as this may be: This is a good time to realise, that the doors are closing. The time, when a foreighner with a monthly pension of US$ 1000 was welcome everywhere in the 3rd world is coming to an end fast. In short: Have money, otherwise don't knock on our door.

More and more, it's not a question of "where I would like to live" but rather "where will I be allowed to live as a retired "stranger" with limited financial means. This will be the challenge for many Farangs in the future and not the "where I would like to live".

Need more than $1000 ... think that's more about inflation than anything else.  Why would you want to live on less than that here or anywhere.  If a mere $1000 is an issue, probably means you don't have an oops fund, or will have health insurance, and then become a burden on your host country.

Where will you be allowed to live .... if taking Thailand as an example, the rules haven't changed in decades.  But because of the scammers, enforcement has been tightened, and you can blame / thank your fellow country persons for screwing you and future retirees here.

I personally love the tightening of Imm rules, and actually wish they were stricter.  Many of the bottom feeders had to leave the past couple years, by simply enforcing the rules that they've been violated for decades.  No loss to anyone here.

Most people seem to want strict immigration in their home country, but not where they think they are entitled to live.....hmm

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, swissie said:

Generally: One can live in all the exotic countries that have been mentioned here. As long as one  can afford to live in a gated community and can afford to pay for personal body-guards around the clock.

In some countries, south of the US/Mexican border, (as it's getting harder to emigrate to the US), the poorest of the poor have started to kidnap members of their own "middle-class". Average ransom sum a mere US$ 1000. A field day if they get their hands on an unproteced "Gringo". Having to pay for ones security will increase the cost of living in any of those "cheap" countries dramatically. Likely to make any prior calculations of "cheap living" obsolete. On top of that, in those countries, immigration rules can change overnight. A fine example is Vietnem/Malaysia/Costa Rica etc etc.

Funny that you say that. 

Mexico changed their rules.

For the better.

For example if you can show about 30k USD in your home country bank (similar to Thailand's 800K baht) ONE TIME, you can begin temporary residence on a path towards permanent residence after five years or show much more such as in a typical retirement account and be qualified for permanent residence from the start.

This is a country by country situation. 

There are still numerous (albeit not unlimited and it never was close to unlimited) opportunities for the less wealthy, even for permanent residence including some UNDER 1000 income requirement per month. 

Your stereotyped monolithic description of life south of the USA border is pure comic book.

It's a matter of choosing a better location both the city you choose and exactly where you live in that city.

I'm tempted by smaller Colombian cities where three bedroom modern luxury apartments in high rises with full time security  in literally top rated (they have an official number rank system there) safe neighborhoods can be had for 300 - 400 dollars a month. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, swissie said:

This is very true.  I'm very happy living now in affordable Laos, but would certainly prefer to have PR, to minimise the risk of any future visa rule changes.  There is a special scheme of PR for scientists (that's me!), but absolutely no-one seems to know about the requirements, even though mention is made in the relevant PR law.  So far, no lawyer will touch my money to give a solid answer to my request for these PR requirements.  (I know the general PR requirements - it's those for scientists that I'm after).

I'm sure that wherever you settle, getting PR or a long-term visa as an 'immigrant' is important for your future peace of mind.  As Swissie stated, "the doors are closing..."

6 hours ago, swissie said:

Unless you're mega-rich it's always been about 'where will I be allowed to live'.

Not sure why you need to bring skin colour into the discussion.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm tempted by smaller Colombian cities where three bedroom modern luxury apartments in high rises with full time security  in literally top rated (they have an official number rank system there) safe neighborhoods can be had for 300 - 400 dollars a month. 

Very tempting for those that can embrace a foreign language and enjoy being totally immersed in a new culture........................ Those rental prices quoted are seriously cheap, and you mentioned earlier about 60K purchase prices for perhaps something similar, so no need to buy really...........................but I think many, myself included, can't get the idea of security, kidnap, killings and all those negatives that one reads/hears about in Mexico out of one's mind........................Hollywood hasn't helped with the likes of Denzel in Man on Fire and Sicario etc etc.................................To me, Mexico is exotic as was the thought of living in the Land of Smiles late 90's, maybe you're onto something. Time for more research...............................