Name the top three countries you would want to move to if you left Thailand other than your home country

Jingthing

Mexico
Portugal/Spain
PI

Ease of visa (PI), English speakers (PI), proximity to the US (Mexico), food Mexico, Portugal/Spain, affordability (all), aesthetics (all), no Covid drama (Mexico). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Backhanded compliment. 

If you really want to be happy, then, you would ship out aboard an oil tanker traveling between Rastanura and Satahip. 

Out upon the briney sea, nothing but stars and flying fish, and porpoise riding the bow wave. 

It's magical. 

Only sailors know what I am talking about. 

It's good that someone does (understand)

I think anywhere in Asean could get very unpleasant if there is an escalated conflict between China and the U.S.

Its a good point to look at the impact of climate change. Apparently South America has already been dramatically impacted.

I'm looking at regions in Mexico and Colombia with near perfect weather. For how long? 

Younger people may consider buying into frigid Buffalo New York as a center for climate refugees.

As humans we can only plan so much. Then there is fate.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think anywhere in Asean could get very unpleasant if there is an escalated conflict between China and the U.S.

Its a good point to look at the impact of climate change. Apparently South America has already been dramatically impacted.

As humans we can only plan so much. Then there is fate.

Are you implying that the choices we make, collectively, do not predict our fate? 

Or, are you stating that our fate and destiny is preordained,  as in forordinatiin? 

By the way.... I am VERY pleased to see you alive and well, after a few years. 

You have the best profile image of anyone on TV, a rotating fluorescent ball which is unmistakable. 

Take care, Real Thing. 

If fate, and the gods, are with us... then... I have no doubt that you and I can share another thought, in 2031. 

As I do recall, from almost a decade ago, you were more lively, then. 

What happened to you? 

Did the cat get your tongue, since then? 

Take care, my friend... 

We are becoming older, by the day. 

(Wish we could return to the days of Wine and Roses. However, Time only moves forward, due to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, and Entropy. And, you, like I, are no longer as hot as we once were, back in 2013.) 

Take care, my friend. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Are you implying that the choices we make, collectively, do not predict our fate? 

Or, are you stating that our fate and destiny is preordained,  as in forordinatiin? 

By the way.... I am VERY pleased to see you alive and well, after a few years. 

You have the best profile image of anyone on TV, a rotating fluorescent ball which is unmistakable. 

Take care, Real Thing. 

If fate, and the gods, are with us... then... I have no doubt that you and I can share another thought, in 2031. 

As I do recall, from almost a decade ago, you were more lively, then. 

What happened to you? 

Did the cat get your tongue, since then? 

Take care, my friend... 

We are becoming older, by the day. 

(Wish we could return to the days of Wine and Roses. However, Time only moves forward, due to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, and Entropy. And, you, like I, are no longer as hot as we once were, back in 2013.) 

Take care, my friend. 

2013?

How about 1976?

Sporter's Bar

Boston 

With the exception of Gamma's nod to Haiti which I'm not sure if that was tongue in cheek or not, I don't think anyone has mentioned the Caribbean................................................ The Dominican Republic was a fun place back late 90's, and I've not been since. It's big enough not to feel too insular and not too edgy that one felt uncomfortable.............................................................................................. I fancy the healthcare is probably not up to scratch, so that could be a concern for retirees. The climate and general island feel if I remember rightly was fairly similar to Koh Samui and Phuket, albeit a far larger land mass. Personally, I love local Caribbean cuisine, enjoy being close to the sea and enjoy interaction with visitors, locals and travellers alike, so i don't think I would be bored there?????......................................................................Perhaps an extended visit is in order to see how it is a two decades plus later and explore more of the island, rather that just Cabarete............................................

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Being born there was bad enough. 

I once spent a year in Philadelphia, I think it was on a Sunday.

W. C. Fields

I recall, from days gone by, that you always believed you could out-post me. 

However, truth to tell, I left you behind me, when I was in my prime, like Brody. 

12 minutes ago, bojo said:

With the exception of Gamma's nod to Haiti which I'm not sure if that was tongue in cheek or not, I don't think anyone has mentioned the Caribbean................................................ The Dominican Republic was a fun place back late 90's, and I've not been since. It's big enough not to feel too insular and not too edgy that one felt uncomfortable.............................................................................................. I fancy the healthcare is probably not up to scratch, so that could be a concern for retirees. The climate and general island feel if I remember rightly was fairly similar to Koh Samui and Phuket, albeit a far larger land mass. Personally, I love local Caribbean cuisine, enjoy being close to the sea and enjoy interaction with visitors, locals and travellers alike, so i don't think I would be bored there?????......................................................................Perhaps an extended visit is in order to see how it is a two decades plus later and explore more of the island, rather that just Cabarete............................................

St. Croix. 

You are entirely correct that St. Croix was amazing in 1963. 

But, as Boy George said, regarding Time.... 

If I could turn back the clock, then I would choose to spend my days in Kyoto, Japan. 

Sucking soba. 

1. Taiwan (Taipei)

2. Singapore

3. Spain (Mallorca)

1 and 2 - Because both countries/states are more developed than Thailand, and because I have a fondness for ethnic Chinese girls.

3. Love the Mediterranean climate.

Well if I hadn't already returned to the US., and I'm Hispanic so language is a biggie;

Mexico

Columbia

Argentina

I could get a mexican passport tomorrow if I wanted so I suppose that would be the easiest, and No not all of Mexico is a gang infested Hell Hole.

My family is originally from Guadalajara and if my wife could speak Spanish I'd live there in a heartbeat

As an Australian I would find the idea of retiring in much of the Americas or in Africa as a bit too foreign and unfamiliar. Going to Colombia or Costa Rica or Morocco might be a nice holiday but can't imagine living there. Europe seems a long way away too and I have no real link or connection.  So that's leaves Oceania and Asia.

Bali and the islands between to Timor are OK but wouldn't want to live there. Other Asian countries don't seem better or that desirable. New Zealand is nice. For me though it's Thailand and Australia. Can't think of three other countries that are actual contenders. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Depends where in Colombia. 

Attitudes like yours are a gift to those willing to look beyond dated stereotypes. 

I wouldn't recommend Cartegena or Medellin though and certainly not Cali. 

Stayed at all three plus Manizales and Popayan. My favourite was Popayan. Only in Cartegena was I warned by a builder repairing historical walls; "Don't walk in that direction, thieves!".

• Like 2