Name the top three countries you would want to move to if you left Thailand other than your home country

Jingthing

Malaysia

Portugal

Indonesia

Long term visas are a possible issue, Malaysia is in the process of totally screwing its MM2H programme up in the quest for high rolling unicorns. So it might be half a year in Indonesia and half in Malaysia. I worked in Portugal before and enjoyed it, not sure how long stay works now post Brexit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, swissie said:

AFAIK JT can't re-settle somewhere else unless he can sell his Condo in Pattaya.

The moral of the story: You can't pack any sort of real-estate in a suitcase.

not much chance of that for aeons ,you may have to write it off

Philippines: hmmmm…. not for me….been there….wonderful Phil.lady… detested the strange place…..

bastardized mess; no real culture; american material aspirations; asian but catholic ; everybody Poor !

<deleted> english (they call it “fluent”); everyone that can….leaves for overseas work….. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I own a freehold house in Edinburgh. There are no peasants

Are you sure? 

Or, are they just invisible peasants? 

When you move to places such as Columbia, you will NOT see half of the populace, which are those who are invisible. 

After reading Invisible Man, everybody recognizes the invisibility of most of the people living in the places being suggested on this thread. 

Please, Sir, may I have one more bowl of porridge? 

Fortunately, Life is not everlasting. 

Everybody is bent upon eeking out one more day in paradise... until... 

Until, one fine day, the realization of our own mortality comes crashing down upon us. 

Anyone who has had a near-death experience fully realizes that there is no escape from our inevitable and inglorious final moment, no matter if we might travel to the wilds of Chile. 

The guy from Pategonia met his maker when he least expected. 

In my opinion, if I wanted to escape death, I would live in a tent on the pack ice, for a while, and then row my boat, in order to save my men, same as Shackleton. 

If you want to know where to go, then just follow the path of Shackleton. 

Just now, GammaGlobulin said:

Are you sure? 

Or, are they just invisible peasants? 

When you move to places such as Columbia, you will NOT see half of the populace, which are those who are invisible. 

After reading Invisible Man, everybody recognizes the invisibility of most of the people living in the places being suggested on this thread. 

Please, Sir, may I have one more bowl of porridge? 

Fortunately, Life is not everlasting. 

Everybody is bent upon eeking out one more day in paradise... until... 

Until, one fine day, the realization of our own mortality comes crashing down upon us. 

Anyone who has had a near-death experience fully realizes that there is no escape from our inevitable and inglorious final moment, no matter if we might travel to the wilds of Chile. 

The guy from Pategonia met his maker when he least expected. 

In my opinion, if I wanted to escape death, I would live in a tent on the pack ice, for a while, and then row my boat, in order to save my men, same as Shackleton. 

If you want to know where to go, then just follow the path of Shackleton. 

Have you ever been to Edinburgh? There is no agricultural land. There are no peasants

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

don't go to Colombia ....  it's gang violence mafia shoot money kill tourist kidnap and all that stuff ........

no way man .....

My sister is married to a colombian for 40 years now. And we were talking about that the other day. No way would they go to live there. For all the things you mentioned plus that the place is politically unstable. Much like Thailand LOL 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't want to leave Thailand. My interest in other options are in case I'm squeezed out as have so many retirees here over the years. All three of my choices offer residency security to retired expats. Push comes to shove I could leave my condo here to rot and still be able to live comfortably in either of my three picks.

It would be better to sell it of course. In that case I would consider buying a condo in Colombia with the proceeds. 

Good to hear that your search for other "domiciles" are just part of some plan "B". These days, everbody should have a plan "B".

• Like 1

Haven't read any of the previous posts (will go back now to read them all) but from the subject title, my top 3 (in order) would be:-

1. Philippines - Have visited > 30 times, dated a Filipina for 8 years & even built a house in Davao but in the end I preferred Thailand so retired here (though I still prefer Filipina girls????) .  
  2. Columbia  - Have never been, but I love the vibe of South America so my plan (pre-covid) was to do a 3-6 month tour around SA to see if I wanted to retire there instead of Thailand.
  3. Portugal - (IMHO) Best place to retire in Europe, though things aren't as straight forward for us Brits to retire there since Brexit... 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

If you're American the USA is off topic.

If you're not an American & unable/unwilling to pony up at least $500K the USA is off topic.

Sadly for me as it would have been in my top 3 if there was a reasonable way I could live there for more than 6 months of the year. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not at all, if my former wife hadn't divorced me I'd still be living in the UK and sleeping with a 63 year old woman.

As it's worked out, I'm living in the tropics with a woman half my age.

In an odd sort of way she did me a favour.

Backhanded compliment. 

If you really want to be happy, then, you would ship out aboard an oil tanker traveling between Rastanura and Satahip. 

Out upon the briney sea, nothing but stars and flying fish, and porpoise riding the bow wave. 

It's magical. 

Only sailors know what I am talking about. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

2 hours ago, steevjee said:

Bali's Northern beaches

Went to Amed once, it was quite nice.  Is this what you had in mind, or other places?  I don’t know the area well enough to comment upon its long term livability but it sure is beautiful.