Wise transfers not being processed as International (Specifically Bangkok Bank)

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Looks like if you had a £ borderless account, you'd use that to send £ to BB who would do their conversion with their fee plus poor exchange rate but at least you'll be guaranteed FTT

Thanks, i'm trying to get an idea of the costs from using both Swift options, using my HSBC account in the UK to Bangkok Bank and then using Wise. I'm assuming that both Swift options will guarantee an FTT coding.

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

When i checked the other day Wise rate was 46.2 and Bangkok bank TT rate was 45.2, now on a 2000GBP transfer thats 2000bht, a pretty poor rate imo.

Right now TT is 33.21 Wise is 33.335  not much difference.  Of course the SWIFT won't get converted for a day or two so that TT rate could be lower or higher than right now.  Still OK for more peace of my mind.

Edited by mojaco
Corrected rate
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

When i checked the other day Wise rate was 46.2 and Bangkok bank TT rate was 45.2, now on a 2000GBP transfer thats 2000bht, a pretty poor rate when compared to Wise imo.

Yep about 1% worse rate right now plus of course the rate you'll get will be in a few days most likely 

Screenshot_2021-10-19-09-56-43-869_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2021-10-19-09-57-24-082_com.transferwise.android.jpg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Thanks, i'm trying to get an idea of the costs from using both Swift options, using my HSBC account in the UK to Bangkok Bank and then using Wise. I'm assuming that both Swift options will guarantee an FTT coding.

Generally a SWIFT transfer would guarantee you an FTT coding at Bangkok Bank.  The only circumstances I can think of that may cause problems is if your source bank isn't able to SWIFT directly with Bangkok Bank and has to use an intermediary bank(s) to route the money to Bangkok Bank.  I don't think that happens often at all as Bangkok Bank is a large bank and many other banks are able to SWIFT directly to Bangkok Bank.

• Thanks 1

scuba: no “user error”. explained this is a test transaction. Hsbc & Wise have set up online transfers between themselves in a certain fixed way which users must follow ( fixed drop down menu with generic sort code different to my ac sort). Wise already confirmed this. Hsbc gbp 25 trace in process since Friday yet still no word. No response either to my two Online HSBC Banking Chaser Messages. Alternative is Phone Banking or Intermediary Routing, which methods no doubt open up other issues.

3 hours ago, mojaco said:

The exchange rate is not "poor" it is Bangkok Bank's TT rate, slightly less than what Wise would give at the same time and day.

I am looking for access to the Bangkok Bank daily forex rates, Every link I have tried responds with 

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access
"http://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/View-Rates/Foreign-Exchange-Rates" on this server.
Reference #18.95e83217.1634621670.3a685d56

I have reset my VPN to Thailand and that makes no difference. I can however access my Bualuang iBanking without a problem.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yep about 1% worse rate right now plus of course the rate you'll get will be in a few days most likely 

Screenshot_2021-10-19-09-56-43-869_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2021-10-19-09-57-24-082_com.transferwise.android.jpg

Can you please send me the link to BBK daily forex rates.

Edited by billd766
Bad spelling

3 minutes ago, racyrick said:

WISE always has put a disclaimer on everything to protect itself legally. Always said "tagging" and "funds for longe term stay" were never 100% guaranteed.

The fact is that 100% of all transfers during the past 2 years where people clicked the funds for long term stay option, have gone straight to Bangkok Bank. Now it doesn't. Yes, some will get lucky, but you never had to be "lucky" the past 2 years when you used this option.

A common sense attitude toward the guarantee of FTT labeling.  There's a qualitative difference between a 0.5% failure rate and a 40% failure rate.  The first is serviceable.  When there is a problem with a month's transfer you can do the extra work to get the documentation necessary to prove to immigration it was internationally sourced.  But obviously if the failure rate is substantially higher than that Wise if effectively not an option for meeting immigration requirements for the monthly deposit method. 

Obviously, there are a small niche group of Wise customers who have this particular requirement, but it does raise the question as to why Wise would neglect such customers who they already have (and ones who use the service every month) yet are willing to spend money on advertising trying to get new customers.  It's cheaper to keep the bird in your hand happy than it is to pursue the bird in the bush.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am looking for access to the Bangkok Bank daily forex rates, Every link I have tried responds with 

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access
"http://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/View-Rates/Foreign-Exchange-Rates" on this server.
Reference #18.95e83217.1634621670.3a685d56

I have reset my VPN to Thailand and that makes no difference. I can however access my Bualuang iBanking without a problem.

I can view the site and am using a US connection on my VPN.  Maybe the problem was transient.  Try again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I can view the site and am using a US connection on my VPN.  Maybe the problem was transient.  Try again.

I tried again using Chrome and a different browser but still access is denied.

It is not that important.

44 minutes ago, racyrick said:

WISE always has put a disclaimer on everything to protect itself legally. Always said "tagging" and "funds for longe term stay" were never 100% guaranteed.

The fact is that 100% of all transfers during the past 2 years where people clicked the funds for long term stay option, have gone straight to Bangkok Bank. Now it doesn't. Yes, some will get lucky, but you never had to be "lucky" the past 2 years when you used this option.

Agree with you 100%. I suspect that the most we could expect from Wise in rectifying this what some have called (inaccurately IMHO) error would be for them to offer an option for us to select the partner bank which they should use for a particular transfer - subject, presumably, to increased fixed and/or variable rates (meaning less THB at the end of the day, of course) plus a delay in paying out this transfer if our preferred partner bank was not available for this purpose at the time (e.g. because Wise's account with them was temporarily over-subscribed). But this would, of course, necessitate Wise completely redesigning their online transfer initiation procedures which, I strongly suspect, they would almost certainly not consider worth the effort solely in order to rectify a particular Thailand-related issue which likely represented a drop in the ocean when compared to the scale of their transfer operations worldwide. Not to mention that there would also be the overriding legal constraint(s) to which you have referred to contend with.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Are you able to access the BKKB home page?

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en

Even that link comes back as access denied.

I tried copy/paste and I even typed the url by hand and still get the same access denied.

No matter. It was mainly out of curiosity and not the end of the world. 

Edited by billd766
Added extra text

25 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I tried copy/paste and I even typed the url by hand and still get the same access denied.

What internet provider are you using?  Are you using virus/malware software?  You are using Windows 10?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I would have a go bag ready just in case…????‍♂️

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

What internet provider are you using?  Are you using virus/malware software?  You are using Windows 10?

I am using 3BB, Opera browser with Opera free VPN and Windows 10.

The odd thing is that I can access Bualuang iBanking with the same setup but not BBK forex .

When I open KBank the first screen it shows is the Forex rates.

As I said in an earlier post, not getting BBK forex rates is not the end of the word for me.

22 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I made a transfer via Wise on Friday, and was half expecting to be in the same boat as a number of other members despite using the "long stay in Thailand" route, but it hit my account with Bangkok Bank about twenty minutes ago with the FTT tag.

I'd only sent half of what I needed on Friday, with the intention of sending the other today via Swift from my bank if I didn't get the correct code, I'll now send the other half via Wise.

It seems to be very hit and miss, and not good for my stress levels at my age.

I made the second transfer yesterday, that has just arrived, also with the FTT code I’d hoped for.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skatewash said:

Generally a SWIFT transfer would guarantee you an FTT coding at Bangkok Bank.  The only circumstances I can think of that may cause problems is if your source bank isn't able to SWIFT directly with Bangkok Bank and has to use an intermediary bank(s) to route the money to Bangkok Bank.  I don't think that happens often at all as Bangkok Bank is a large bank and many other banks are able to SWIFT directly to Bangkok Bank.

Another problem can be that the UK bank does not do direct SWIFT transfers and goes through another UK bank first. Nationwide charge £20 for a SWIFT, then a month or so later a £25 charge from HSBC was taken from my N'wide. I complained a lot, and got a refund as I had not been told in advance.

• Like 2

Can't help noticing that ALL the successful (FTT) transfers currently - including my 2 mentioned above in October - have been the non-fast transfers.

I also recollect the Wise email of 20 July (v. below) - coming to me as an Oz customer - talking about all the improvements they're making and how speeds are getting up to speed but still some way to go here and there. And Thailand was one of the non-speedies (based on my experiences for the last 2+ years) but perhaps now is catching up ... People more expert than me can draw their own conclusions, or hypotheses.

https://wise.com/p/mission-update-q2-2021?utm_medium=crm&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=f03127ac-69fe-47c8-a3c6-72fbf41b700e&utm_variant=01a89b9c-d5b0-4547-9444-8a0a3d299eba&utm_date=19-07-2021#Speed

16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am using 3BB, Opera browser with Opera free VPN and Windows 10.

The odd thing is that I can access Bualuang iBanking with the same setup but not BBK forex .

When I open KBank the first screen it shows is the Forex rates.

As I said in an earlier post, not getting BBK forex rates is not the end of the word for me.

You probably have a corrupted Bangkok Bank browser "cookie."   A similar thing happens to me when I access my T-Mobile acct and don't logout properly/closed down the T-mobile page too fast.  When I tried to logon again I get a access denied/timed out response....and even if I wait days unless I go into my browser settings and delete the T-Mobile cookie(s) I can't get logged on again.  Yea, the T-Mobile online acct webpage can be very temperamental at times.

I'm on AIS Fibre and have no problem accessing the Bangkok Bank exchange rate page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1