Wise transfers not being processed as International (Specifically Bangkok Bank)

9 hours ago, Pib said:

A Credit Advice will show the funds originated from outside Thailand.  And it's best not to wait longer than 3 months to ask for a Credit Advice as Thai bank typically do not charge a fee for a Credit Advice if the transfer is not over 3 months old.

When I mentioned a credit advice to my branch the chap I was dealing with advised me that I could register have them sent automatically, I did so and one arrives about 30 minutes or so each time after I get an SMS saying "theoldgit has transferred THB00,000 to account 0000000), there's no fee for this service.

I made a transfer on Friday, tomorrow afternoon I'll know if my fears are unfounded or whether I need to make another transfer, via another route, to get the magic tag 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

When I mentioned a credit advice to my branch the chap I was dealing with advised me that I could register have them sent automatically, I did so and one arrives about 30 minutes or so each time after I get an SMS saying "theoldgit has transferred THB00,000 to account 0000000), there's no fee for this service.

I made a transfer on Friday, tomorrow afternoon I'll know if my fears are unfounded or whether I need to make another transfer, via another route, to get the magic tag 

You are doing this Credit Advice with K-bank as I think I've seen other K-bank customers mentioning this?

AFAIK Bangkok Bank don't do Credit Advices by email.

To those listening in: If anyone else is getting Credit Advice via email please tell us which bank you use...thanks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

You are doing this Credit Advice with K-bank as I think I've seen other K-bank customers mentioning this?

AFAIK Bangkok Bank don't do Credit Advices by email.

To those listening in: If anyone else is getting Credit Advice via email please tell us which bank you use...thanks.

I receive my credit advice from Bangkok Bank as an attachment to an email, have been getting them for a couple of years.

Bangkok Bank <[email protected]>

AttachmentsTue, 14 Sept, 14:47

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

• Like 2

14 hours ago, theoldgit said:

t seems to me that the problem arises when people, like me, wish to use Wise to satisfy the scrutiny of Thai Immigration Officers that they bring in the required funds from overseas every month, when the funds aren’t really being imported.

Yes, correct but so many here think they are really being imported so 17 pages and counting

11 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I receive my credit advice from Bangkok Bank as an attachment to an email, have been getting them for a couple of years.

Bangkok Bank <[email protected]>

AttachmentsTue, 14 Sept, 14:47

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Tell us more about the registration process if you remember....was it registration via paper at the bank....some registration process via phone call, etc.   Thanks.

Edit: also, what does the emailed version look like?  Maybe you tried to attach something in above post but it's not viewable/downloadable.  Bangkok Bank has (or use to) have two version of a Credit Advice....one version comes on a full size A4 sheet and the other is a half sheet format.  The half sheet format is all I have got in recent years when occasionally getting a Credit Advice.

Edited by Pib

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

Tell us more about the registration process if you remember....was it registration via paper at the bank....some registration process via phone call, etc.   Thanks.

It was a couple of years ago, I went into my branch in Hua Hin and mentioned credit advices, maybe when I was getting statement, as I recall the guy volunteerd the information that I could register to receive them via email automatically, he filled out a form, I think it was a generic form with a number of options, I signed it, and I've been getting them every month since, the last one was 45 minutes after the SMS arrived informing me of the deposit.

It has this on the bottom, so it must be automatic
 This is a computer generated advice. No authorized signature is required. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

It was a couple of years ago, I went into my branch in Hua Hin and mentioned credit advices, maybe when I was getting statement, as I recall the guy volunteerd the information that I could register to receive them via email automatically, he filled out a form, I think it was a generic form with a number of options, I signed it, and I've been getting them every month since, the last one was 45 minutes after the SMS arrived informing me of the deposit.

It has this on the bottom, so it must be automatic
 This is a computer generated advice. No authorized signature is required. 

Do you only get the Credit Advice for International transfers or "all" credit transfers like if someone sent you money from within Thailand?

49 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Yes, correct but so many here think they are really being imported so 17 pages and counting

No matter what anyone 'thinks', for two years my Wise transfers to Bangkok Bank have arrived as International/FTT shown in my book and on statements. In the last week or so they have not, arriving via Kasikorn Bank as Local transfers, and so they are no good for Immigration extension purposes.

I recently got an email from Wise Support to tell me that my Bkk Bank was tagged as the Primary account, which I can see online, but transfers today arrived as Local transfers via Kasikorn.

Bye bye Wise!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Polaky said:

has anyone ever read...... By signing up you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

It would take days and a lot of patience, is it all good?

Yes, I read all this when I became a customer of TW years ago, though I'm not sure that trawled through them evrytime there's an update, though I can't speak for yourself or others.

I certainly didn't read through them again when they introduced the "long stay in Thailand", option when they introduced the BKK Bank FTT workaround, or again when they, seemingly, arbitrarily dropped it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

Do you only get the Credit Advice for International transfers or "all" credit transfers like if someone sent you money from within Thailand?

I opened this account primarily to receive cash from TW, I have made a couple of deposits from a KK account, but I didn't receive Credit Notes from them. 

3 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I opened this account primarily to receive cash from TW, I have made a couple of deposits from a KK account, but I didn't receive Credit Notes from them. 

OK...thanks.  The reason I ask is a Credit Advice could apply to "any and all" credits to a person's acct.   Heck, even Debit Advices exist which deal with debits to a person's acct.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

OK...thanks.  The reason I ask is a Credit Advice could apply to "any and all" credits to a person's acct.   Heck, even Debit Advices exist which deal with debits to a person's acct.

They might be providing under the free SMS system they use for foreign deposits which would not be useful in this case - but perhaps if subscribed to the pay SMS notifications service they would be provided for all?

14 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

That was a very good idea, keep all your International/Wise stuff separate so easy for Mr IO to see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

They might be providing under the free SMS system they use for foreign deposits which would not be useful in this case - but perhaps if subscribed to the pay SMS notifications service they would be provided for all?

I'm subscribed to the Free SMS Remittance where you get the SMS each time for a foreign transfer....been getting those for years.  A person can sign-up via ATM or phone if they have a debit card associated with the acct; if no debit card (like with ACH direct deposit restricted accts) they have to sign-up at the branch for the free SMS Remittance.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/SMS-Services/SMS-Remittance-Alert

Next time I go to my branch which is the head office branch in Bangkok on Silom Rd I'll ask about automatic Credit Advices via email.  I start off by asking the folks on the 2nd floor which is international area...and where you go to get Credit Advice at this particular branch.   Now I don't go to this branch often in central highrise Bangkok (ends up being a two hour roundtrip for me)....usually only when I have an issue....need a credit advice...or just have some issue where only the person's "home branch" can work.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No matter what anyone 'thinks', for two years my Wise transfers to Bangkok Bank have arrived as International/FTT shown in my book and on statements. In the last week or so they have not, arriving via Kasikorn Bank as Local transfers, and so they are no good for Immigration extension purposes.

I recently got an email from Wise Support to tell me that my Bkk Bank was tagged as the Primary account, which I can see online, but transfers today arrived as Local transfers via Kasikorn.

Bye bye Wise!

Unless I misunderstood his post, @mojaco has discovered the possibility that a transfer under 50,000 baht might travel the immediate route through Kasikorn to Bangkok Bank, and post there as a local transfer; whereas a transfer of 50,000 baht or greater might travel the delayed route and may indeed post next business day as a foreign transfer.   If his hypothesis has some merit, and I personally believe it does, then your (KannikaP) transfer today would have been less than 50,000 baht -- could you confirm?

1 minute ago, pablo el sueco said:

Unless I misunderstood his post, @mojaco has discovered the possibility that a transfer under 50,000 baht might travel the immediate route through Kasikorn to Bangkok Bank, and post there as a local transfer; whereas a transfer of 50,000 baht or greater might travel the delayed route and may indeed post next business day as a foreign transfer.   If his hypothesis has some merit, and I personally believe it does, then your (KannikaP) transfer today would have been less than 50,000 baht -- could you confirm?

Yes, the transfers were Bht 1000. I do not want to do my monthly Bht 50,000 early in December if it is going to arrive as a Local transfer, so I wanted to check things out first. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pablo el sueco said:

Not based on my test transfers last week.

In two low USD transfers done within minutes of each other (approx Bt700) funded from the balance in my multicurrency acct using the Long Stay Thailand reason the transfer that went to my "tagged" Bangkok Bank acct posted a little after 2pm, used Bangkok Bank as the partner bank, and I got Int'l Transfer/FTT coding.  However, the other approx Bt700 transfer sent only a few minutes later to one of my other Bangkok Bank accts (not tagged) posted within seconds, used K-bank as the partner bank, and I got Transfer from Other Acct Bank coding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Pib said:

Not based on my test transfers last week.

In two low USD transfers done within minutes of each other (approx Bt700) funded from the balance in my multicurrency acct using the Long Stay Thailand reason the transfer that went to my "tagged" Bangkok Bank acct posted a little after 2pm, used Bangkok Bank as the partner bank, and I got Int'l Transfer/FTT coding.  However, the other approx Bt700 transfer sent only a few minutes later to one of my other Bangkok Bank accts (not tagged) posted within seconds, used K-bank as the partner bank, and I got Transfer from Other Acct Bank coding.

Did you happen to notice if the final screen just before you sent the one that went via Bangkok Bank to Bangkok Bank showed a "future" time and not "in seconds" and did the one going via KBank show "in seconds"?

Edited by mojaco
spelling
  • Like 2

I just checked setting up transfers in my case.  If less than $1,500 the final screen says it will go "in seconds".  If more than that amount the final screen lets me "schedule" the transfer.  And I had an email from Wise yesterday confirming they "tagged" my receiving account to always (if possible) us Bangkok Bank as the partner bank.  And I also chose "sending for long term stay in Thailand".  So, I will just have to wait and see for the next couple of weeks before I decide how to send my November 65,000 Baht . . . Wise "International", Wise SWIFT, or SWIFT from a bank in the USA.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mojaco said:

Did you happen to notice if the final screen just before you sent the one that went via Bangkok Bank to Bangkok Bank showed a "future" time and not "in seconds" and did the one going via KBank show "in seconds"?

yes...the tagged account was showing a 2pm delivery (which was around 7 hours away when I initiated the transfer around 7:30am).....the untagged acct was showing delivery will happen within seconds.

• Thanks 1

I received this email from Wise concerning tagging my future transfers to only route through Bangkok Bank;  I'll do a test soon by sending $100 USD and see how it goes.

Thanks for reaching out and apologies for the late reply.

I have added the necessary tags for your future THB transfers to be routed through Bangkok Bank. 

Do note however that this has been applied only to your existing THB recipients- so if you would like this to be applied to a different THB account in the future, do reach out again to us and we'll be more than happy to help you with it again???? 

I would also like to inform that though we try to always route with your preferred payment partner, this tagging does not work 100% of the time as sometimes the partner itself has issues with paying out so we end up using another payout partner. 

Please let me know if you have further queries and I'd be happy to help.

Have a lovely weekend. 

Kind regards,

Joe / Wise Support

6 minutes ago, mojaco said:

I just checked setting up transfers in my case.  If less than $1,500 the final screen says it will go "in seconds".  If more than that amount the final screen lets me "schedule" the transfer.  And I had an email from Wise yesterday confirming they "tagged" my receiving account to always (if possible) us Bangkok Bank as the partner bank.  And I also chose "sending for long term stay in Thailand".  So, I will just have to wait and see for the next couple of weeks before I decide how to send my November 65,000 Baht . . . Wise "International", Wise SWIFT, or SWIFT from a bank in the USA.

How long did it take Wise to answer you in saying your acct had been tagged?

I sent  message from within my Wise acct on 14 Oct/approx 6pm (Thailand time) to have an acct tagged (another kinda new Bangkok Bank acct), got an immediate automated response saying message received.....then on 15 Oct/2am I got response from a human at Wise saying they will contact their payment section to see if tagging is possible and get back to me.....which as of 17 Oct/10am they haven't....but maybe the weekend is slowing down their response.   If no response by around Tuesday I will ping them again.

A few years ago when I asked for an acct to be tagged I got the same sequence of responses...that is, first an immediate confirmation my message was rec'd....then a human responded they would relay my request to their Payments Section, and then another response from a human saying the tag had been completed.....took a total of 2 days from asking to done-deal.   

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

How long did it take Wise to answer you in saying your acct had been tagged?

I sent  message from within my Wise acct on 14 Oct/approx 6pm (Thailand time) to have an acct tagged (another kinda new Bangkok Bank acct), got an immediate automated response saying message received.....then on 15 Oct/2am I got response from a human at Wise saying they will contact their payment section to see if tagging is possible and get back to me.....which as of 17 Oct/10am they haven't....but maybe the weekend is slowing down their response.   If no response by around Tuesday I will ping them again.

A few years ago when I asked for an acct to be tagged I got the same sequence of responses...that is, first an immediate confirmation my message was rec'd....then a human responded they would relay my request to their Payments Section, and then another response from a human saying the tag had been completed.....took a total of 2 days from asking to done-deal.   

FWIW ,I am a KBank customer and I also ,several days ago ,requested my recipient account be tagged. Today if I try to send either $1000 or $5000 delivery will be made on Monday

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

or I may just give in and deposit 800k locally.      

I have just received my 13th monthly FTT on OCT 1 so I am good to go for this years  extension - slightly off topic if I end up using the 800,000 method in the future can that be a domestic transfer from our Thai joint account to my solo bank  account or does it have to come as an international transfer? 

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Well maybe not the only answer, but certainy an option.

I bank with Santander in the Isle of Man, and whilst it's a Sterling account, bizarrly, I couldn't send GBP to Thailand via the online portal, I needed to call them, though I've just this minute checked and you can do so now, I haven't this route for a couple of years so wasn't aware of the change.
Previously they used an intermediary bank to send here, who also charged £25 or so for their trouble, I don't know if this still applies.
My other option is via Bangkok Bank in London, which I've also used before.
With both of these options the bank charges are only marginally more, plus the £25 for the intermediary bank if that still applies, though there is a lower rate, maybe 50 Satang in the Pound, so maybe another £25 on a 100k Baht, plus the banks receiving fee .25% this end, another fiver.
Wise is still  better value, but to be quite honest I'm not sure that I really want to worry about this anymore, so I might send from Santander in the future or via Bangkok Bank in London if I'm charged for the intermediary bank, or I may just give in and deposit 800k locally.      

Yeah you would hope Thai immigration could be made aware of this problem by downloading the persons country bank statements showing immigration the amount each month being withdrawn from a overseas bank..

My UK online bank years ago was about between £14 & £25 to send money monthly depending on the amount it's a lot cheaper now,

More expensive than Wise so that's why I use them now that they exist.

When I wanted money from UK before the cheapest way for me was to go into a Thai high street bank with my debit card and withdraw Baht from that.