Wise transfers not being processed as International (Specifically Bangkok Bank)

10 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I made a transfer via Wise on Friday, and was half expecting to be in the same boat as a number of other members despite using the "long stay in Thailand" route, but it hit my account with Bangkok Bank about twenty minutes ago with the FTT tag.

I'd only sent half of what I needed on Friday, with the intention of sending the other today via Swift from my bank if I didn't get the correct code, I'll now send the other half via Wise.

It seems to be very hit and miss, and not good for my stress levels at my age.

Someone else just posted on facebook that it went through as FTT today, maybe Wise have fixed the issue without acknowledging there is one

3 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I made a transfer via Wise on Friday, and was half expecting to be in the same boat as a number of other members despite using the "long stay in Thailand" route, but it hit my account with Bangkok Bank about twenty minutes ago with the FTT tag.

I'd only sent half of what I needed on Friday, with the intention of sending the other today via Swift from my bank if I didn't get the correct code, I'll now send the other half via Wise.

It seems to be very hit and miss, and not good for my stress levels at my age.

It's good that your transfer was made with the correct labeling.  However, that shouldn't make you or anyone else feel good about what's going with Wise, and it probably doesn't.  Even if tagging banks, selecting the "long term stay in Thailand" purpose didn't exist we would still expect a certain number of transactions to show up with FTT markings because Bangkok Bank is one of Wise's partner banks in Thailand.  When Wise's algorithm selects which partner bank to use for a particular transfer, in the event it picks Bangkok Bank there's a very good chance your transfer will show up with the FTT marking.  But when Wise's algorithm selects another Wise partner bank in Thailand there's a very good chance it will show up as a domestic transfer.  The mechanism that Wise (at the time TransferWise) put in place to ensure that the first rather than the second happens doesn't seem to be working.  So reports of successful FTT transfers don't really indicate anything about whether the problem has been fixed or persists, because we don't know whether Wise selected Bangkok Bank for you because it wanted to for its own business reasons or because it followed your instructions to transfer for the purpose of "long term stay in Thailand."

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, treetops said:

Of course not since they stopped issuing them following the request from the Thais that the information be verified.

Of course, they could have simply continued to issue them, explain the reasons they were not able to verify them, and wait to see if Thai Immigration would in fact have rejected any of them.  Instead the course they took was to stop issuing them unilaterally.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, skatewash said:

They stopped the income letters without any plan being in place for their citizens.  The monthly deposit method was concocted and allowed by Thai Immigration as a lifeline to those citizens who were abandoned by their embassies.

That is not so! The British embassy held many discussions with Thai immigration and the new system, now in place was agreed to long before the letters were withdrawn. At least 18 months as I recall.

A consular official even gave an interview that was broadcast through TVF, explaining how the new system would work.

1 minute ago, skatewash said:

Of course, they could have simply continued to issue them, explain the reasons they were not able to verify them, and wait to see if Thai Immigration would in fact have rejected any of them.  Instead the course they took was to stop issuing them unilaterally.

Which would have resulted in us being up the creek without a paddle when immigration did.  Instead they made it public and issued months in advance to allow people to set up the new system and got immigration to allow less than a full year of transfers for first year.  

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Someone else just posted on facebook that it went through as FTT today, maybe Wise have fixed the issue without acknowledging there is one

No.  Successful FTT transfers prove nothing (other than the fact that FTT transactions can occur which no one doubts).  The only proof of the problem being fixed is the absence of unsuccessful FTT transfers.  FTT transfers can be successful because the mechanism is working again OR because if the Wise algorithm chose Bangkok Bank for its own business purposes (which would very likely result in a successful FTT-labeled transaction).

• Like 1

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Which would have resulted in us being up the creek without a paddle when immigration did.  Instead they made it public and issued months in advance to allow people to set up the new system and got immigration to allow less than a full year of transfers for first year.  

You can't possibly know that Thai Immigration would have rejected any embassy income letters.  Thai Immigration could have easily decided to continue to accept the immigration letters, despite having reservations about how they were being verified.  The three embassies decided not to see if that would happen and unilaterally stopped issuing the letters.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skatewash said:

No.  Successful FTT transfers prove nothing (other than the fact that FTT transactions can occur which no one doubts).  The only proof of the problem being fixed is the absence of unsuccessful FTT transfers.  FTT transfers can be successful because the mechanism is working again OR because if the Wise algorithm chose Bangkok Bank for its own business purposes (which would very likely result in a successful FTT-labeled transaction).

Rather than you guess we should know in a day or two if we get more transfers going through correctly. There will always be some non FTT transfers as people choose different reasons or have a different bank

• Like 1

Wise never guaranteed 100% transfers usuing Bangkok Bank, plus they have been very quick to respond to my emails, add tags, and so on.  Yes, it did cause me personally spending many hours researching the situation and testing alternative SWIFT transfers to assure I have a Plan B.  I might give 3-4 stars but never lower.  It is very unkind and arrogant to try to get me/us to give one star.  I will still use Wise, perhaps the "International" or "same Currency" SWIFT transfer.

Edited by mojaco
Spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, treetops said:

Of course not since they stopped issuing them following the request from the Thais that the information be verified.

But many other countries still sign letters of confirmation even though they don't and/or can't confirm the actual amounts from their home countries. Immigration accept those letters as bona fide.

Over the years and a few countries I have learned one invaluable thing about the Foreign & and Commonwealth Office and their embassies. That is to never expect anything from the embassies, and that way you will never be disappointed with the result that you get, should you ever dare to cross their doorstep.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Please explain, thanks.

If I choose to send dollars from my Borderless dollar account to Bangkok Bank using Wise's SWIFT "Same Currency" send instead of having Wise convert to Baht as used normally, then I am 99% assured that will show up as FTT international transfer in Bangkok Bank.  Costs a little more that way but much cheaper than having my USA bank send using SWIFT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2021 at 11:26 AM, norbra said:

I was led to believe that the wise pdf receipt indicates transaction by local transfer

Yes it does, but I've still got the FTT marker in my Bangkok Bank book and statements, which is all I'm worried about.

I'm aware that this marker seems a bit hit and miss at the moment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mojaco said:

If I choose to send dollars from my Borderless dollar account to Bangkok Bank using Wise's SWIFT "Same Currency" send instead of having Wise convert to Baht as used normally, then I am 99% assured that will show up as FTT international transfer in Bangkok Bank.  Costs a little more that way but much cheaper than having my USA bank send using SWIFT.

So to have Wise complete a Swift transfer to my Bangkok Bank account i need to open a Borderless account with Wise and use money from that account for my Swift transfer.

If that is correct that would explain why when i clicked "Swift transfer" on a recent small "testing'' transfer but just transferred from my UK account it did'nt show up as FTT and the transfer was immediate.    

17 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So to have Wise complete a Swift transfer to my Bangkok Bank account i need to open a Borderless account with Wise and use money from that account for my Swift transfer.

If that is correct that would explain why when i clicked "Swift transfer" on a recent small "testing'' transfer but just transferred from my UK account it did'nt show up as FTT and the transfer was immediate.    

Looks like if you had a £ borderless account, you'd use that to send £ by swift to BB who would do their conversion with their fee plus poor exchange rate but at least you'll be guaranteed FTT

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A Wise reply on Facebook to someone else. A half decent response but doesn't fix the problem

Screenshot_2021-10-19-04-55-53-046_com.facebook.katana.jpg

So there we have it in black and white, it would appear: selecting the "Funds For Long-Term Stay In Thailand" option does not provide - nor has ever provided, nor will presumably ever provide - a 100% cast-iron guarantee of the coveted FTT/International Transfer coding in the case of BKKB accounts, as far as Wise are concerned.

As neither does not "account tagging", it would appear, based on responses which other contributors to this thread have received on this particular point from Wise.

However, it may well be that, instead of having to faff about with obtaining FET receipts, Wise's Transfer Confirmation pdf's would suffice for proving the foreign origin of particular transfers for Immigration purposes: for example, if I recall correctly, @Moonlover has reported that this approach works in the case of his immigration office. But, as with all matters Immigration-related, of course, whether or not it also works in the case of other offices depends on (1) individual office practices, and, crucially, (2) which side of the bed the officer with whom you deal at annual extension of stay time got out of that particular morning.

Incidentally, I have come across this thread which may also be relevant in the context of the issues which you raised in your OP:-

Edited by OJAS

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Looks like if you had a £ borderless account, you'd use that to send £ to BB who would do their conversion with their fee plus poor exchange rate but at least you'll be guaranteed FTT

The exchange rate is not "poor" it is Bangkok Bank's TT rate, slightly less than what Wise would gjve at the same time and day.

• Like 1