Only fully vaccinated or COVID-19 negative passengers allowed to take flights in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Any chance you could post the pertinent QR code for Bangkok via reply here?  I've got a wife making a return flight to BKK soon, and am struggling to figure out the requirements.

Here’s what they sent me.  Mainly in Thai.  I’m not sure if Bangkok is listed.

A22B4A23-DA14-4305-BDD9-6B67BBAD1131.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, statman78 said:

Here’s what they sent me.  Mainly in Thai.  I’m not sure if Bangkok is listed.

A22B4A23-DA14-4305-BDD9-6B67BBAD1131.jpeg

The first row in the chart is for Bangkok.  A Google Lens translation for that entry:

Passengers can travel normally.

In the case of the province of origin, the measures for departure from the travel area, such as Hat Yai and Narathiwat, must have a document of survey results or a document confirming vaccination arrangements.

[I'm guessing a better translation of the last paragraph might be:

In the case of traveling from a province such as Hat Yai or Narathiwat, where there are special measures, you must have documentation such as a covid test result or a document confirming your vaccination status.]

37 minutes ago, skatewash said:

The first row in the chart is for Bangkok.  A Google Lens translation for that entry:

Passengers can travel normally.

In the case of the province of origin, the measures for departure from the travel area, such as Hat Yai and Narathiwat, must have a document of survey results or a document confirming vaccination arrangements.

[I'm guessing a better translation of the last paragraph might be:

In the case of traveling from a province such as Hat Yai or Narathiwat, where there are special measures, you must have documentation such as a covid test result or a document confirming your vaccination status.]

Thanks for that!

FWIW, my wife has an incoming domestic flight to BKK at the end of this month via Nok Air... After reading the news report here, I've been bugging her to check with the airline about what they will or won't require both upon check-in and also upon her ultimate arrival to Don Mueang.

This week, the airline called her to reschedule the time of her flight, and my wife said she checked with them then about the COVID rules. She says Nok Air told her no COVID testing or vaccination proof required from her flight originating in the Northeast and arriving to Bangkok.

So... what the heck gives with the original OP news report in this thread???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks for that!

FWIW, my wife has an incoming domestic flight to BKK at the end of this month via Nok Air... After reading the news report here, I've been bugging her to check with the airline about what they will or won't require both upon check-in and also upon her ultimate arrival to Don Meuang.

This week, the airline called her to reschedule the time of her flight, and my wife said she checked with them then about the COVID rules. She says Nok Air told her no COVID testing or vaccination proof required from her flight originating in the Northeast and arriving to Bangkok.

Daily changes, each airline doing it's own thing regardless of what CAAT says, who knows.

You can travel domestically anywhere in Thailand without being vaccinated

23 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks for that!

FWIW, my wife has an incoming domestic flight to BKK at the end of this month via Nok Air... After reading the news report here, I've been bugging her to check with the airline about what they will or won't require both upon check-in and also upon her ultimate arrival to Don Mueang.

She will only be required to show her Thai identification when she's checking in.  

Nothing will be needed when she arrives Don Mueang. 

You do not need to show anything to fly into Bangkok domestically from anywhere in Thailand, excluding Songkla and Narathiwat .... for now. 

Edited by lucky2008
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lucky2008 said:

You can travel domestically anywhere in Thailand without being vaccinated

She will only be required to show her Thai identification when she's checking in.  

Nothing will be needed when she arrives Don Mueang. 

You do not need to show anything to fly into Bangkok domestically from anywhere in Thailand, excluding Songkla and Narathiwat .... for now. 

Can you show a link to this please.  I think one still has to be covid negative before flying if not vaccinated.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Can you show a link to this please.  I think one still has to be covid negative before flying if not vaccinated.

I believe that is if only if you're flying into Phuket or Krabi, I'm not 100% sure. According to the following link it seems that even unvaccinated international travelers will be allowed into Phuket as long as they do quarantine in a designated ASQ hotel. 

https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel-to-thailand/thailand-travel-restrictions  Not sure if this website is reliable or not. 

---------------------------------

As for flying domestically throughout Thailand, my wife and her friends flew into Bangkok from Chiang Mai yesterday with ThaiSmile without a hitch.  They were all unvaccinated, and didn't have to take any Covid tests. 

The only link I could find showing that you do not need to be fully vaccinated to enter Bangkok is on the following link. 

https://www.thaismileair.com/en/newsupdates/news_2992

I also had a chance to drive down to the airport a few days ago and ask the supervisors from Bangkok Airways, Vietjet, and NokAir is they required anything else besides my passport/Thai drivers license to fly into Bangkok, and they all said no. 

Here is another link that explains the restrictions and policies regarding travel into a particular province, unfortunately it's all in Thai.  

https://www.moicovid.com/ข้อมูลสำคัญ-จังหวัด/

Edited by lucky2008

i can file a report on dmk-buriram-dmk on nok air.  traveled over this past weekend.  vaccination proof required at dmk to fly to buriram.  i showed the proof i had from a USA vaccination, the CDC card.  nothing extra is required to fly buriram to dmk, only passport like pre-covid days. 

also no testing done at arrival in buriram.  just a temp check.  they did not look at vax card upon arrival.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 7:09 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

People wishing to take a flight in Thailand will need to be fully vaccinated or provide a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 72 hours before they are due to fly,

So WHY do international travellers  (from safe  countries) have to provide  BOTH

4 hours ago, buick said:

i can file a report on dmk-buriram-dmk on nok air.  traveled over this past weekend.  vaccination proof required at dmk to fly to buriram.  i showed the proof i had from a USA vaccination, the CDC card.  nothing extra is required to fly buriram to dmk, only passport like pre-covid days. 

also no testing done at arrival in buriram.  just a temp check.  they did not look at vax card upon arrival.

A report as a vaccinated passenger. 

You don't know the procedure they make you do if your unvaccinated.

Proof of vaccination is only required if you have it. 

For unvaccinated folks they can still let you board the plane, but need to swab and quarantine upon arrival in Buri Ram.  

On 10/10/2021 at 1:51 PM, PETERTHEEATER said:
On 10/10/2021 at 7:09 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Airlines have been instructed to adjust ventilation systems

Fuselage windows are being removed. Bring your own goggles......

plane8-copy.jpg

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Should be required for all flights. Unvaccinated are super spreaders. I know for sure it's required for Phuket. Hopefully, more destinations will follow. At least a test.

As far as I'm aware, all unvaccinated passengers are required to test AND quarantine at every destination (upon arrival) if coming from a red zone. 

Edited by lucky2008
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 7:46 PM, lucky2008 said:

As far as I'm aware, all unvaccinated passengers are required to test AND quarantine at every destination (upon arrival) if coming from a red zone. 

Update: Wife and friends returned to CNX from BKK his evening.

All were given swabs and told to stay home for the next 48 hours.

MOPH said if there's a positive test they'll be in contact by phone.

They were also told negative tests will require NO quarantine.  

I stopped flying domestic with all the wasted time in security. Usually an overnight bus ends up being thousands cheaper and when all said and done point to point gets me there roughly same time.

I do look for Air Asia super promos.

Just another reason to take the bus imo

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 3:47 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Let's see... which sounds more risky from a COVID perspective?

10-12+ hours on a long-haul interprovincial  bus trip with Thais who probably have not for the most part been fully vaccinated or even tested (because most of Thailand thus far still has not been fully vaccinated -- less than 40% overall nationwide at this point)?

vs

One hour on a domestic flight with Thais who, by virtue of their economic position (being able to fly) probably are somewhat more likely as a group overall to have been vaccinated, and will have been required to show vaccination status and/or COVID test results at a lot of the outbound destination cities?

(See the ThaiAir domestic flight COVID testing and vaccinations rules graphic posted above by @lucky2008)

PS - the jets also supposedly have HEPA air filtration systems for cabin air, unlike the buses, though I'm not sure how much difference that's going to make if an infected person is sitting next to you, or very close by. But it's certainly better than nothing.

The time and in/direct expenses renders the mode of transport effectively useless to me.

We always book the diwnside. With covid this will be six people in an area about 3.5X5.5m. Far more space than a plane.

Flying - where I go I'd still be stuck in a cramped mini van 2 hours each way. Worse yet I'd have to go thru Phuket.

The long bus is 11 hours total. Yeah, I realize you never did that even pre covid...

The VIP bus I take pretty much has the same middle class people that would fly.

I'm not taking some b400 half broken bus that runs the length of the country.

Yes, the air might be an issue. HEPA filter on Scoot, Nok, AA?? Doubt. Bankrupt airlines changing those filters? Doubt.

I now know of four people with covid. 2 are 74, 1 above 60 and 1 is 50. Two younger currently suffer the condition. They will be totally fine. For them it's not been a big deal although MiL did have some slight breathing issues now gone.

I'm not dropping my guard - but I'm not cowering in a hole or paying 2.5x more for things bc of covid. I'm just not.

I've never had a flu shot in my life, I get a bit of flu or food poisoning about once every five years. I've never missed a day of work (62) in my life due to illness.

From my place to Pattaya:

Get up as usual, enjoy breakfast, remaining stuff to the bags.

Drive 1:15 to the airport (daughter drives car back).

Checkin 5 min, sit and relax, wait for boarding.

12:20h take off, 13:25 (likely earlier) touchdown

Latest 14:00 taxi to Pattaya, 15:30 at hotel

Fuel 400, flight 1000 all incl, taxi 1000 = 2400

Yes expensive.

But compared to my one and latest bus from district town many years ago.

Departure 7:00(?), early up and hurry to drive to district town.

Bus AC bloody cold (on a cool rainy day), no padded jacket with me (grabbing all available blankets).

A felt 1000 stops, cheap detours avoiding toll road, 11 hours! Dropped off at Sukhumvit. Making last mistake: shared songtaeo ("Baht bus"). Drives all the way to the farthest corner of Jomtien then back to Pattaya city. Almost another hour to the hotel. Never again!

By car: at least 7 hours. Always a risk of hitting some neat potholes and damage the car (road to airport is pretty good). Sharing the road with brain-dead/reckless/drugged/careless riders.

Doable, but for what? No need to fill the trunk with purchases taking home.

Edited by KhunBENQ