My children 19 and 20 with British passports coming to the UK how do they get their NI number ?

If they were born in uk, then there should have been numbers allocated.chrck birth certificate.

If its NHS number you need to get then you will need a new 10 digit no. To get that you will need to get registered with a GP.

Because of covid, GPs are supposed to register people regardless of residence in uk.

If its an NI number then check birth certificate. I dont know, but you can search online.

Best telephone them to query with uk birth ertificate details

Edited by jojothai
Add detail

1 hour ago, jojothai said:

If they were born in uk, then there should have been numbers allocated.chrck birth certificate.

If its NHS number you need to get then you will need a new 10 digit no. To get that you will need to get registered with a GP.

Because of covid, GPs are supposed to register people regardless of residence in uk.

If its an NI number then check birth certificate. I dont know, but you can search online.

Best telephone them to query with uk birth ertificate details

Thanks one was born in the UK and one in Thailand . i will call them today. OG thanks but the like caters for immigrants rather than Brits

Use the link given by OG. My children went to UK to live, the boy 5 years ago, daughter 2 years ago. Had to have a brief interview, took a few weeks for an available slot. Can work without a NI number, daughter had a job for a couple of months before getting her number.

4 hours ago, jojothai said:

NHS numbers stopped being listed on birth certificates some time ago. It was too easy for impersonators to get a start with their illegal schemes. The previously issued old style birth certificates still have the old format number listed.

NI numbers have never been linked to birth certificates. They are issued automatically to young adults based on their enrolment for Child Benefit, which 99.99% of parents in the UK receive as it is a non means tested benefit.

NI numbers can be obtained from the link given above, however you either need to be in the UK or using a VPN for the link to work as the application for issuance of an NI number requires a physical presence in the UK.

You will receive an NHS number when you register with a GP surgery for the first time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BlueScouse said:

Use the link given by OG. My children went to UK to live, the boy 5 years ago, daughter 2 years ago. Had to have a brief interview, took a few weeks for an available slot. Can work without a NI number, daughter had a job for a couple of months before getting her number.

Thanks

23 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Sorry to be a pain but do you have an example of that. Asking for a friend ????

See below. Original shortened paper from birth has the old NHS number bottom left.
I required a full version in 2014 and got the printed version with more detail. That does not specifically state the NHS number, 
But note the number 322 on the left that matches the number in the NHS, the MYZL is presumably a code for location.
I understand what Blackcab says thanks. There is clearly no reference to NI number on the birth certificate.

Orignial birth cert shortened version from birth hiddet.jpg

birth cert full version requested in 2014 hiddet.jpg