Prominent doctors and politicians share contradictory ideas on Thailand's Nov 1 reopening

Jonathan Fairfield

To the top docs, a single covid case is too many, because as we all know, no one dies of anything other than covid these past 2 years...

in contrast, the pols have had their personal finances laid ruined by the lack of money coming up the chain from the various tourism-associated brown envelopes

The problem might however not be that huge. There are probably not be a tourist exodus to Thailand when reopened to vaccinated tourists, as long as there are several restrictions - including covid tests on destination; most airlines already requires a negative Covid test within a certain number of hours to allow boarding - and especially European tourists will not be happy to a holiday wearing mandatory face mask, they were demonstrating against wearing such a device, they have many other attractive vacation options without any restrictions. Some tourists will come for sure, but I dont think they'll be that many that the "screening and monitoring systems" cannot cope with them.

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

No, you still need to do two tests. One in home country and another one in Thailand.

Being fully vaccinated doesn't mean you can't be infected  anymore (a common misconception among the uneducated) , it just means that the symptoms won't be as severe as requiring oxygen/ventilator to breathe. 

I wonder what will happen if one is tested positive in Thailand? Will he be sent to hospital or send back to home country.

Sorry.  I was confusing it with domestic tourism flights which will no more require tests

6 hours ago, Tracyb said:

I understood that if fully vaccinated then no tests required….  No?

No! They will keep these PCR tests going as they are making the people involved in it rich, and when they get rich, The unelected government get even richer.

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

No, you still need to do two tests. One in home country and another one in Thailand.

Being fully vaccinated doesn't mean you can't be infected  anymore (a common misconception among the uneducated) , it just means that the symptoms won't be as severe as requiring oxygen/ventilator to breathe. 

I wonder what will happen if one is tested positive in Thailand? Will he be sent to hospital or send back to home country.

Can someone who tests positive for covid be sent back?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poskat said:

To the top docs, a single covid case is too many, because as we all know, no one dies of anything other than covid these past 2 years...

in contrast, the pols have had their personal finances laid ruined by the lack of money coming up the chain from the various tourism-associated brown envelopes

And I'm sure you have the evidence about covid deaths to support your claim. Otherwise you would just be bloviating. Care to share that evidence with the rest of us ?

• Like 1

Here is a link to an article about what happens when countries that were sluggish in getting their residents vaccinated open up too soon.

The lost summer: Central and Eastern Europe pays price for slow coronavirus vaccination

A summer of sluggish vaccination, the relaxation of most restrictions and, in some countries, political upheaval have created a perfect storm for the highly infectious Delta variant...

Romania and Latvia both took drastic action last week to free up space in hospitals being deluged with cases. Last Monday, Romania halted all nonemergency surgeries and hospital admissions, while on Thursday Latvia declared a medical emergency, diverting resources to focus on COVID-19 patients.

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-lost-summer-central-and-eastern-europe-pays-price-for-slow-coronavirus-vaccination/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

It's not an opinion, it's what would have happened.

It is your opinion of what would have happened. We can't know for sure. I agree with reopening the country provided people keep masking up and distancing. This said, I am not sure foreign tourists are going to rush in.

22 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

His status read: “Other countries open when they’re ready. Their screening and monitoring systems are ready and effective, there is a lot of potential for testing, most of the population has been fully vaccinated, and the pandemic situation is not severe and well-controlled. But some countries are still affected by the reopening.”

Thailand take note

1 hour ago, Anant72 said:

It is your opinion of what would have happened. We can't know for sure. I agree with reopening the country provided people keep masking up and distancing. This said, I am not sure foreign tourists are going to rush in.

It did happen and we can be sure.

Thailand's health care system was under pressure in Bangkok.

You think leaving restaurants, bars, gogos, nightclubs etc open would have led to less cases and less hospital admissions?

That's why the vast majority of global governments brought in lockdowns and restrictions.

Thailand's government had no choice and they will do it again if needs be.

• Like 1