Prominent doctors and politicians share contradictory ideas on Thailand's Nov 1 reopening

Jonathan Fairfield

The idiots in the rest of the world start to understand how much stupid they were to close everything for so long and now know that they have no choice but open, even if the people who should have already died, finally die.

But here, when they need business more than anywhere else, they pretend to wonder or even have choice...

ridiculous !

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

A healthcare system totally overwhelmed.

Patients seriously ill for weeks, bed blocking and taking up large amount of healthcare staff.

Doctors and nurses taken off other wards to support the demand.

Operations and general care postponed and delayed.

Thailand, quite rightly, made sure this did not happen.

Thailand,quite rightly, will make sure it never happens.

Not a good situation for a tourism reliant economy.

So, I am asking you really, do you think they took the right path? I am really looking forward to your opinion, I'm ok with people seeing things differently.

• Like 1

What is it with Thailand and their listening to 'prominent academics'... in most countries teachers and university 'professors' are mostly unheard from as its generally understood that only those who cannot hack it in proper jobs become teachers....

Obviously there are some who have always wanted to be teachers. Like teachers in Thailand, most of them would snap your hand off if they were offered a proper job here, but as they are unqualified and not able to get one they generally fall back on teaching...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I disagree. Strongly.

What should have happened is the old, infirm and at risk should have been protected and supported to isolate and those close to them tested until the vaccines were available to all.

wiki - "The death rate varies greatly by age and healthiness. More than 90% of deaths are among the most vulnerable: those with underlying illnesses and the over-60s.COVID-19 deaths are "remarkably uncommon" among the least vulnerable: those under 65 and with no underlying illnesses."

Everybody else should just have got on with life.

Virtually impossible in traditional Thai family set ups.

Three generations under one roof , sharing sleeping and sanitary areas.

Why wasn't this overly simplistic strategy even applied in Western economies?

Great Barrington nonsense.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

His status read: “Other countries open when they’re ready. Their screening and monitoring systems are ready and effective, there is a lot of potential for testing, most of the population has been fully vaccinated, and the pandemic situation is not severe and well-controlled. But some countries are still affected by the reopening.”

But this is Thailand, they have a different approach to things.

10 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

I'll just give my idiotic opinion.

As soon as Thailand was affected by the UK strain and Indian strain and then reached 20K cases per day, there was absolutely no need to keep borders partially (almost fully) closed. The virus was going as strong here as in most of the rest of the world.

What's the worst that could have happened? Tourists infecting and already widely infected nation? Or getting infected by them...

What's the best that could have happened? Millions of people being relieved by foreign tourism coming back. Because international tourism has always been an important factor here. It helps hotels, restaurants, tour guides, national excursions, souvenir shops, electronic shops, any kind of shops, families in Issan (...), but even way more companies. Dtac and other phone operators have said their revenues went down because many of their customers were tourists buying sim cards and prepaid memberships. Taxis and overall transportation companies hurt as well, to the point that they are growing veggies on top of their car nowadays. Airlines suffered even more. And seriously, a lot more businesses were affected.

I wouldn't want to be in a government's shoes when it comes to human lives, but they clearly misread the situation here. The country is dying faster here without international tourism, despite Covid-19.

Keep social distancing, keep wearing a mask, keep your guard up against the virus. But also keep a rational mind regarding the welfare of the country as a whole.

Again, I might be completely wrong and my way of seeing things may have lead to an even worse situation. But I wish it was explored.

…..and get more people vaccinated!

17 minutes ago, EricTh said:

When daily cases reach high numbers, Thailand might close the border again after a short opening on Nov 1.

It's just another half-baked plan just to bring in tourist money. With the two expensive Covid tests required, not many will come.

I understood that if fully vaccinated then no tests required….  No?

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

What is it with Thailand and their listening to 'prominent academics'... in most countries teachers and university 'professors' are mostly unheard from as its generally understood that only those who cannot hack it in proper jobs become teachers....

Obviously there are some who have always wanted to be teachers. Like teachers in Thailand, most of them would snap your hand off if they were offered a proper job here, but as they are unqualified and not able to get one they generally fall back on teaching...

What is it with you? 'prominent academics', the posted quote was 'prominent doctors'. There are forum rules about changing quoted material.

The doctor in the post, Dr. Thira Woratanarat, an associate professor at the Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University is a trained and qualified epidemiologist, which really makes your post pointless.

Obviously, going by your rant, you have a grudge against teachers.

Thira Woratanarat - Chulalongkorn University

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tracyb said:

I understood that if fully vaccinated then no tests required….  No?

No, you still need to do two tests. One in home country and another one in Thailand.

Being fully vaccinated doesn't mean you can't be infected  anymore (a common misconception among the uneducated) , it just means that the symptoms won't be as severe as requiring oxygen/ventilator to breathe. 

I wonder what will happen if one is tested positive in Thailand? Will he be sent to hospital or send back to home country.

Edited by EricTh

the “vulnerable isolation” concept is sound, obviously required detailing and should have been done.

could certainly have been deployed in Care Homes but assessed that the oldies would have been “scared” of the full haz masks required of care staff. right, so instead left to take their chances…..

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I think I have to agree, based on the 4 Thai teachers I know, a UK teacher i know teaching in a private school is only here for a job but a good teacher I am led to believe, but the thick of the thick will finish and go to high school based on daddy’s contribution not ability and will finish high school with the grades needed for what profession daddy wants precious  to follow.

2 hours ago, LosLobo said:

What is it with you? 'prominent academics', the posted quote was 'prominent doctors'. There are forum rules about changing quoted material.

The doctor in the post, Dr. Thira Woratanarat, an associate professor at the Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University is a trained and qualified epidemiologist, which really makes your post pointless.

Obviously, going by your rant, you have a grudge against teachers.

Thira Woratanarat - Chulalongkorn University

Speak as you find