Money in bank vanished

In response to the original poster John Smith I have had exactly the same thing happen in the last few days and for the same amount from a savings account.

In my case there were 44 withdrawals the bank claim it was withdrawn via a credit card but not sure how that can work as my credit card and account not linked and the one they claim was used is an older one no longer used (but then I have no knowledge of scamming)

The bank seem to be on the case and will see what happens

Contact me if you want further I formation 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

Exactly the same happened to me, and the same amount taken multiple times, this week.

It is a Terminal Machine transaction.

I could not cancel my card on line, tried to call the bank to stop it, on hold for ages, then the automated call back later message!

By the time I had gone to the bank (one that opened at 0830) and had to personally talk to Customer Services to cancel the card, they had taken nearly 13,000 baht.

I have over 600k in the account

If i had not spotted it, they would have emptied the account!!!!!!!!

Why the bank did not spot this unusual activity and put a hold on the card is beyond me.

The bank are now investigating.

I have also reported it to the police, with the help of my Thai GF.

Another payment of 1,750 was taken by Google Play.

I have no accounts with Google Play.

I have contacted Google about this, and they investigate also.

I will never again use a Credit or Debit Card here in Thailand

I will just use the banking app

If i dont get my money back, its just over 300 UKP, so no big deal.

But for sure, it wont happen again.

Also thinking to invest in a safe, and keep all the dosh in that..........just ridiculous

I've recently (5th) had the same thing (I posted same the other day).

Nearly B12,000 taken mid evening in 3 fast transactions (transfers/payments I think).

Luckily had the BB SMS notifications on so saw them straight away.

Also , over 30mins for Customer Service to answer and immediately cancelled the Debit card.

Have done a full personal report and formal police report, and submitted same to BB fraud section. (Special email address supplied by Cardmember Services the next day)

Still waiting to hear the outcome,  but expecting it to be around 30days. 

Never use the card for anything other than atm/com transactions. 

(Eg, my local Seven wont accept it...only a Credit card!!)

So bit of a mystery how they got the card number ??

On 10/12/2021 at 8:43 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Maybe they were taking 1 US$ out at a time, thinking that you wouldn't notice a $ going out 

Probably a cheap Charlie thought he won the lottery by withdrawing a small 1$ fortune at a time.

Enough for a small Chang.

On 10/13/2021 at 5:51 AM, userabcd said:

Agree, looks like some bank system error.

Or the banksystem is corrupted by a hacker. They put in a mining virus and are collecting in easy way over many accounts and low numbers to not attract attention.. However maybe to greedy and do many extractions on 1 account.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

My Kasikorn account I get an SMS every time anything goes in or out!!! Set that up years ago 'cos of the ex-wife????????????????????????????????

Your ex wife has access to your account(s)?  Living dangerously ????

I had exactly the same thing happen Monday night/Tuesday morning, almost 80 debet transactions of Baht 34.15 each on my Bangkok Bank debit card. I have never used the card online or to pay for anything in the shops, the only time the card have been used is in Bangkok Bank ATMs to withdraw money. The only way anyone would have been able to get my card details is if they worked in the bank or in the company producing the cards or have hacked into the bank/card company's systems. 

The officer at the bank informed me that the transactions was from Google's payment systems and originated in a game named Garena.

Edited by Sophon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 10/13/2021 at 11:35 AM, john smith said:

I said that I would return today to make new arrangements. The bank lady said to do that. On returning today I found the bank was closed for a bank holiday.

Reminds me of the tale I read on this site years ago. A chap called a restaurant and asked if he needed to make a reservation for that evening. They said no. He rolled up with his party and they were closed. Thai logic combined with no common sense. Of course he didn't need to make a reservation if they were closed, but telling him that? Well, he didn't ask the right question, did he. Like 'Are you open tonight'.

• Haha 2

On 10/12/2021 at 8:48 PM, bbko said:

My Bangkok Bank does SMS notifications for withdraws over 500 baht, one year 170b.

Bkk bank only report withdrawals of 1,000 baht and over. So I would not know if anything under that amount was taken. That’s why I go on line and check my balance twice a month 

1 hour ago, Sophon said:

I had exactly the same thing happen Monday night/Tuesday morning, almost 80 debet transactions of Baht 34.15 each on my Bangkok Bank debit card. I have never used the card online or to pay for anything in the shops, the only time the card have been used is in Bangkok Bank ATMs to withdraw money. The only way anyone would have been able to get my card details is if they worked in the bank or in the company producing the cards or have hacked into the bank/card company's systems. 

The officer at the bank informed me that the transactions was from Google's payment systems and originated in a game named Garena.

My partner suffered like you. 55 withdrawals in less than 24 hours and Bangkok bank told her the same when she cancelled her card. She never uses ATM but did use it online to buy an item in the game Hayday 

On 10/13/2021 at 2:14 AM, Captain Monday said:

I had 8-10 million Baht in Bangkok Bank earning a nifty bit of interest in fixed accounts.

Took almost all out after I was told I had come to Thailand " too many times" and forced into an Elite Visa programme around 2015. I will not KEEP any large portion of my funds in a country I have no right to enter.

Nobody ever warned me about a virus and being locked out 10 months, I was prepared already financially but every expat needs a plan B.

What is in YOUR bug out bag?

Can always use Dee Money to get the money out without being in country

10 minutes ago, musicscene said:

Bkk bank only report withdrawals of 1,000 baht and over. So I would not know if anything under that amount was taken. That’s why I go on line and check my balance twice a month 

Sorry,  not right....in my case. ANY withdrawals or deposits are sent to me by SMS. 

Including the small withdrawal, done on marriage extension day, to satisfy IO of the bank balance.. usually B100

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Reminds me of the tale I read on this site years ago. A chap called a restaurant and asked if he needed to make a reservation for that evening. They said no. He rolled up with his party and they were closed. Thai logic combined with no common sense. Of course he didn't need to make a reservation if they were closed, but telling him that? Well, he didn't ask the right question, did he. Like 'Are you open tonight'.

all part of the fun of deciphering life here...

51 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

as if you cant name the bank.....Is this a troll post

The "usual reasons" the OP refers to relate to the fact that defamation is treated as a criminal matter here in LOS, rather than as a civil matter as in most other countries. So, had the OP named the bank in question and they had taken exception to this, criminal proceedings against him might have resulted. Had he been found guilty, he might well have found himself banged up for a lengthy stretch in the Bangkok Hilton by way of punishment!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Don't use a debit card

Want to avoid identity theft? Never, ever use a debit card. I don't own one. I never have and I never will. I don't recommend them to anyone — not my family, not my friends, not you.

As I said at the Google talk, a debit card is certainly and truly the worst financial tool ever given to the American consumer. Why? It's simple: Every time you use one, you put your money and your bank account at risk.

Instead, use a credit card. I use one for practically all of my purchases, even when I'm traveling abroad. With credit cards, federal law limits my liability if there's an unauthorized use of my card."

Frank Abagnale is a former professional impostor and the author of the best-selling memoir, "Catch Me If You Can." He is one of the world's most respected authorities on the subjects of fraud, forgery and cyber security.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, CMBob said:

I also have a SCB account and get the SMS notifications of seemingly any activity (withdrawals, login events, etc.) but I'm not being charged for any of that.  I do pay annually 200 baht for use of the ATM card.

I agree with your notion to somewhat have a Plan B and have money in a couple of banks.  Plus, if one happens to have more than 1 million baht in accounts here, wise to have that spread around to supposedly maintain government deposit protection (although the likelihood of any of the major Thai banks failing or  being allowed to fail is likely near zero).

Lehman Brothers couldn't fail either.

• Thanks 1

Girlfriend's SCB account hit this month with 10K in charges from 'SteamGames" an online game company. She does not have any account or never went there. Apparently this is a global thing happening now...many accounts being hit with these game charges. SCB investigating...I just turned all the limits on my Immigration 800K account to zero and lowered all my limits on my working account to 5000 baht. Raise them before major purchase if needed and then set them back to low limits...only way to try and be safe.

• Like 1