Money in bank vanished

20 minutes ago, fangless said:

Surely that is the one account that should NOT have an ATM or any access other than in branch with a passport. 

i.e.  A Fixed Deposit account that only you with a passport and in branch can access.

Well I don't agree. I spend from it via ATM and top it up annually with an international transfer. I'm comfortable that it won't be illicitly drained with the notifications. I think immigration likes to see spending too though it isn't required.

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

My strategy is to have three Thai bank accounts.

One with lots of money for visa purposes. I use the card for ATM but nothing else.

Another one only for automatic withdrawals for utilities. I cash it up manually. Usually under 10k.

Another one for heavy use of debit card, online shopping, etc. Usually under 30k in it.

This is essentially what I do as well.

Visa

Savings

Spending

I don't even keep cards on the large accounts so that if there's any issue it's clearly bank employee theft. Use sms as well.

I'm no longer happy with SCB for a few reasons. K bank was a disaster for me.

13 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Well it quite obvious that no one can draw 34.15 THB from an ATM! And a repetitive action like that clearly points to computing error within the banks own or an associated system.

As long as the bank has sorted out the problem and your card's function has been restored, I wouldn't be too concerned.

One thing's for sure. The bank will never explain what the problem was.

Agree, looks like some bank system error.

• Like 1

I have never used my card online for any purpose. Having stopped the card yesterday - bank closing - I said that I would return today to make new arrangements. The bank lady said to do that. On returning today I found the bank was closed for a bank holiday. Ho hum try again tomorrow. At least fifty percent my own fault. I have taken to heart the advise to have two accounts one of which will be for ATM use and also to be informed every time cash is withdrawn.

On 10/12/2021 at 8:48 PM, bbko said:

My Bangkok Bank does SMS notifications for withdraws over 500 baht, one year 170b.

Likewise with my former Bangkok Bank account, SMS not only for withdrawals but deposits as well, especially notifications of pension payments during public holidays. Now I have personal internet banking via my computer with my new Cambodian bank.

On 10/12/2021 at 8:48 PM, bbko said:

My Bangkok Bank does SMS notifications for withdraws over 500 baht, one year 170b.

SCB here.  But I can set the notification limit to whatever I want.  You may be able to change yours too.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 8:38 PM, Jingthing said:

Sounds very concerning. Good luck in sorting it out. I have accounts in three banks here. I would recommend that people sign up for activity notification SMSs from their accounts with larger balances. That costs 200 baht per year at Siam Commercial Bank for example. 

I also have a SCB account and get the SMS notifications of seemingly any activity (withdrawals, login events, etc.) but I'm not being charged for any of that.  I do pay annually 200 baht for use of the ATM card.

I agree with your notion to somewhat have a Plan B and have money in a couple of banks.  Plus, if one happens to have more than 1 million baht in accounts here, wise to have that spread around to supposedly maintain government deposit protection (although the likelihood of any of the major Thai banks failing or  being allowed to fail is likely near zero).

Edited by CMBob
"Gooder" English....
  • Like 1

How does an ATM pay out 0.15 Baht? 

There’s ATM skimmers that look like the real number pad of an ATM. They just lay them over the real one and you would never notice unless you actively look for it. So with one use they have your card details and your pin code. I always check if the number pad is loose or can be taken off before I use an ATM.

• Like 1