Poll -- do you take a daily dose of low dose aspirin?

Jingthing

Low dose aspirin  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Whatever you say. Aspirin is more dangerous than it helps.

What field of medicine are you involved with that qualifies you to make such a comment , or is it just a personal opinion ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

No such draw-backs with a colonoscopy (though, more expensive than Aspirin).

have you ever had one? First, you lose a day of cleansing sitting in the toilet... then whatever they do is so awful that you need to be sedated... and then they charge you for it too...

Just now, 1FinickyOne said:

have you ever had one? First, you lose a day of cleansing sitting in the toilet... then whatever they do is so awful that you need to be sedated... and then they charge you for it too...

Yes, I have one every year as recommended by doctors for people 50 years old or older.

Losing one day per year is soooo much better than potentially losing a life-time, don't you think?

Just now, KarenBravo said:

Yes, I have one every year as recommended by doctors for people 50 years old or older.

Losing one day per year is soooo much better than potentially losing a life-time, don't you think?

once a year? They are recommended every 10 years... and you lose 2 days - losing a lifetime? Are you one of those who think they are middle-aged at 60? I have had most of a lifetime already and surely the better part... 

I was in the hospital for a night on an unrelated issue when a kidney doctor wanted me to stay another night to rehydrate - - so, I had a choice of staying in the hospital on an IV or going home and drinking lots of water... she chose the prior, I opted for the latter...

All I am saying is you might want a 2nd opinion on the frequency of colonoscopies... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Why would anybody take meds, if they do not need it? “ 

Because they believe in the non- existent “preventative medicine” concept pushed, to generate income, by pharma and doctors, contrary to all proper study findings, and choose to ignore the major side effects of even aspirin (stomach ulcers, blood thinning, unstoppable bleeding, death) let alone statins, opioids, etc. Blood is a certain consistency by Nature. Dont Interfere.

Human Body has evolved over 15 million years.Barring Killer Diseases getting past our immune system ( if not vaxxed / protected / treated) or Pain Killers after Surgery / Infection, if we do basic body maint. body will self- regulate without outside drugs, i.e. Plant based Diet, HIIT Exercise, Deep Sleep, Relaxation, Plentiful Water.

” What The Health” Netflix Doc. showed how even this program in moderation reversed Obesity, Low Energy, etc with people able to completely dump their daily 20 prescribed often addictive meds.

” The Game Changer” doc. shows not needing any ( cancer- generating) Red Meat, only Plants, Fish.

I have had “high chlorestorol” all my life. Born with it. Body makes it all. Statins Prescribed & Refused.

Yet at 65 I was judged several years ago after MRI / CAT routine medical as having no Cancer Indications and “practically zero”risk of heart attack or stroke. scans showed all clear, just minor age related arterial deposits.

Above Health routine. Never hospitalized. No flu and colds (last eight years). Never Smoked. No Drugs. Minimal Alcohol. Not rocket science. Take Care Of & Trust Your Body.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Iv never heard of that - every year? I had one couple years ago to have a check carried out requested by a Urologist after unrelated TCA CT scan, yes the drinking of the LAX flush day before is quite an interesting - somewhat surprising experience one not to be missed. On the day I had no sedation on request so had the full experience of the procedure, felt worse on extracting the scope - uncomfortable feeling in the gut and apprently the pressure relief valve ended up being defective (no yu cant make this $ hi t up lol) afterwards you lie there expelling the most amazing Farts scoring a 10s across the board , Length/Presentation/Artistic Content Thats was that all clear no need to do again mind you this was on UKs amazing NHS I suppose if they charging you everytime then every year it is then...

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, superal said:

What field of medicine are you involved with that qualifies you to make such a comment , or is it just a personal opinion ?

Maybe you should read the benefits and risks. Or maybe you are in a field above such facts.

• Confused 1

I have consulted several cardiologists about that, they all said that given my cardio risk factors it is safer to take it than not too. I have been taking it for over ten years with no noticeable side effects. 

In addition:

"The pooled data from 5 studies revealed that aspirin intake is associated with a 53% reduction in all-cause mortality in COVID-19 patients. In the case of hospitalized COVID-19 patients, the analysis revealed that the use of aspirin is associated with a 49% reduction in in-hospital mortality. "

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210713/Could-aspirin-intake-reduce-mortality-risk-in-COVID-19-patients.aspx

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Colonoscopy is recommended every 10 years, not every year, for people over 50 (actually reduced  now to age 45 due to recent rise in colon cancer in early age groups).

Only if you have a specific risk factor or prior abnormal finding would it be recommended more often and even then, not usually every year.  People with multiple polyps (or 1 or more large polyp) are usually advised to repeat at 3 year intervals.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

once a year? They are recommended every 10 years... and you lose 2 days - losing a lifetime? Are you one of those who think they are middle-aged at 60? I have had most of a lifetime already and surely the better part... 

I was in the hospital for a night on an unrelated issue when a kidney doctor wanted me to stay another night to rehydrate - - so, I had a choice of staying in the hospital on an IV or going home and drinking lots of water... she chose the prior, I opted for the latter...

All I am saying is you might want a 2nd opinion on the frequency of colonoscopies... 

It's recommended once a year by doctors I dealt with. Maybe a con for the hospital, but it isn't that expensive and colon cancer is on the rise.

When I said "losing a life-time", I meant just that. To make it perfectly clear, I mean losing that time due to death.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Colonoscopy is recommended every 10 years, not every year, for people over 50 (actually reduced  now to age 45 due to recent rise in colon cancer in early age groups).

Only if you have a specific risk factor or prior abnormal finding would it be recommended more often and even then, not usually every year.  People with multiple polyps (or 1 or more large polyp) are usually advised to repeat at 3 year intervals.

Noted. I'll ask a doc next time at at the hospital.

1 minute ago, thailand49 said:

Tomorrow there will be another study?  Just like eggs?  Just like Coffee?  By any chance Dr Fauci have anything to do with the study?????  

Nothing to do with Fauci.

This isn't about a random study but a historic change in official guidance.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Because it is preventive medicine. Prevention is better than a cure.

I can almost guarantee that a large proportion of the people taking it as a preventative measure are overweight and have poor diets. 

But they won't give up their favourite foods and lose weight as a preventative measure.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rodknock said:

no aspirin, on warfarin for life.

Me too because of a portal venous thrombosis. Because no cause was ascertained they put me on warfarin for life. Recently I had one episode of blood in urine and now have an appointment soon to see a haematologist and the word was that they are thinking of taking me off it. My dad and his dad both died at 50 from strokes. I'm 67 now. Can I ask why you are on it for life?

2 hours ago, bangon04 said:

Yes.. Xarelto / aka Rivaroxaban  is said to be much safer than warfarin or aspirin. IF you can afford it.......

(Always consult your doctor)

They have different use cases. And warfarin is easily nullified, the new meds aren't.

4 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Your Doctor and maybe you are insane and absolutely wrong to have a colonoscopy every year. Crazy! 

I did it for years but about 2 or 3 years a study was done (in Australia, I think) that said it introduces as many or more risks of different types than it protects against.   I believe there was more than one study in different places.  I would still take on before flying but have stopped my daily 80gm a day.   If I die early from a heart attack I will re-post from my new home.

13 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Maybe you should read the benefits and risks. Or maybe you are in a field above such facts.

Your original remark said Whatever you say. Aspirin is more dangerous than it helps." Please post a link to support your statement . Certainly not on any medicinal guidance leaflet . Why try to influence readers with your unqualified opinions . I do not pretend to have a medical background but as a layman I can spot an uneducated view .  I trust and take heed from my doctor who recommends that I take a baby aspirin every day . I am well aware that aspirin may not be good for everyone but you cannot generalise .

34 minutes ago, superal said:

Your original remark said Whatever you say. Aspirin is more dangerous than it helps." Please post a link to support your statement . Certainly not on any medicinal guidance leaflet . Why try to influence readers with your unqualified opinions . I do not pretend to have a medical background but as a layman I can spot an uneducated view .  I trust and take heed from my doctor who recommends that I take a baby aspirin every day . I am well aware that aspirin may not be good for everyone but you cannot generalise .

I do not pretend to have any medical background either, but I usually lay it all down to common sense. As you can see that a lot of other readers do as well by checking the popularity of the post.

And again, aspirin is not a medicine that is made or engineered to be taken as preventive. You call it what you want. You have no clue about my education or professional level regarding any area. You say that you do not have any medical background. Without knowledge of any of the two, have can you be sure you can spot an uneducated view. To be able to do that it takes education, right? Something you just said you do not have.

So, Mr SuperAl. Just go back to popping your aspirin now.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, yeah, you can hope what you want. Normally intelligent people do not take preventive medicine for something they might be afraid to get. For that reason we have something called health supplements and a healthy diet as well as proper exercise. FYI, aspirin is not classified as a health supplement. It is a medicine.

Just to get it all straight:

• Medicine is prescribed or taken for a symptom or an active illness.
  • Health supplement, healthy diet and exercise is used as preventive products.

There is no such thing as preventive medicine. If so, it is prescribed by a doctor based on an existing condition. If doctors recommend aspirin to people without ant existing conditions, they are committing malpractise which is to be seen as serious negligence.

So for all those years.  Doctors who were following the advice of the medical establishment were committing malpractice? Where did you get this legal  opinion from? The Journal of Disbarred Lawyers? 

You might want to look up the phrase "Standard Of Care".

• Sad 1