Poll -- do you take a daily dose of low dose aspirin?

Jingthing

Low dose aspirin  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@jingthing when have you stopped taking it?

I have started to take a pill 325mg daily for the last 2 months as covid prevention. For the last few days I am splitting this pill into 3-4 pieces and reduced daily dose to around 150mg.

In several studies they find out that a small dose 75-100mg reduces infection and severity of covid.

For only that reason I am going to use it until the end of pandemic.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Because it is preventive medicine. Prevention is better than a cure.

Of course, by taking Aspirin opens you up to other dangers. Better hope that you don't get intestinal ulcers that bleed, or have an accident that causes internal bleeding.

My father took Aspirin to thin the blood (which then won't clot), he developed stomach ulcers that bled. The hospital had to give him blood equal to two peoples total blood supply. The blood poured out of him as fast as it went in and he eventually died.

It's this kind of thing that the warning refers to.

Just read that the FDA has walked back the recommendation that people at risk for heart attack should take a small dose every day.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

My father took Aspirin to thin the blood (which then won't clot), he developed stomach ulcers that bled. The hospital had to give him blood equal to two peoples total blood supply. The blood poured out of him as fast as it went in and he eventually died.

It's this kind of thing that the warning refers to.

How many aspirin?.............. 1 baby, or 4 normal?

How often? ............. Every day, once a week?

How old was he? ........... 40, 70, 90?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I was really talking about the mass phenomenon of people taking it strictly to try to PREVENT events.

Take it you have never heard the phrase "prevention is better than the cure".

The bottom line is what are you trying to prevent and from what cause. Aspirin is prescribed for a variety of reasons and it is a bit irresponsible to be making generalised claims and it certainly has nothing to do with age.

I was taking aspirin for several years and in 2008 a UK doctor wanted to change that to warfarin, I declined saying I would take my chances with the aspirin. In 2016 following the advice of the Thai doctor I gave up the aspirin in favour of apixaban.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I take it in the form of Alka Selsa, one tablet in  water daily. 

Yes,  in the UK aspirin for hypertension is prescribed as a dispersible. 

Not sure now, but they were unavailable in Thailand and I used to bring them back each time I went. I think safer than the coated tablet used here.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Aspirin is prescribed for a variety of reasons and it is a bit irresponsible to be making generalised claims and it certainly has nothing to do with age.

There's a difference between being prescribed a drug and someone taking it because they read something on the internet (which happens too often nowadays).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Yes,  in the UK aspirin for hypertension is prescribed as a dispersible. 

Not sure now, but they were unavailable in Thailand and I used to bring them back each time I went. I think safer than the coated tablet used here.

You can get them around me, at small pharmacies, but as you say, not easy to find.  They are also Lemon flavored which is horrible.  You can get them online, but not cheap. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

You can get them around me, at small pharmacies, but as you say, not easy to find.  They are also Lemon flavored which is horrible.  You can get them online, but not cheap. 

Baby aspirin 40Bht for 60 tablets an almost every pharmacy.

Most of the time they say 'no have' because it isn't pronounced in any way we would imagine (as-a-pet).

Show them a photo and thy'll have it.

ASA-Aspirin-81-mg-Aspent-M-60-tablets@0.75x.png

• Like 1

81 mg Aspirin daily Dr prescribed in 1991,  2021 Dr still prescribed every visit, so been taking them 30 years

Edit as Info :  100 x 81 mg Aspirin tablets cost 50 baht as of 2 weeks ago.... looking back May 2015 appears they were 48 baht for the 3 months supply waas at a different Government Hospital

Edited by ignis