Poll -- do you take a daily dose of low dose aspirin?

Jingthing

Low dose aspirin  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, yeah, you can hope what you want. Normally intelligent people do not take preventive medicine for something they might be afraid to get. For that reason we have something called health supplements and a healthy diet as well as proper exercise. FYI, aspirin is not classified as a health supplement. It is a medicine.

Just to get it all straight:

• Medicine is prescribed or taken for a symptom or an active illness.
  • Health supplement, healthy diet and exercise is used as preventive products.

There is no such thing as preventive medicine. If so, it is prescribed by a doctor based on an existing condition. If doctors recommend aspirin to people without ant existing conditions, they are committing malpractise which is to be seen as serious negligence.

Most intelligent people take vaccines, which believe it, or not IS preventive medicine.

Most intelligent people take medicine to prevent Malaria (if going where it is endemic), which believe it, or not IS preventive medicine.

I have a potential stomach bleeding condition. Doctor prescribed a medicine that lowers my blood pressure and another to reduce stomach acidity, which believe it, or not IS preventive medicine.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Take it you have never heard the phrase "prevention is better than the cure".

The bottom line is what are you trying to prevent and from what cause. Aspirin is prescribed for a variety of reasons and it is a bit irresponsible to be making generalised claims and it certainly has nothing to do with age.

I was taking aspirin for several years and in 2008 a UK doctor wanted to change that to warfarin, I declined saying I would take my chances with the aspirin. In 2016 following the advice of the Thai doctor I gave up the aspirin in favour of apixaban.

Hold your horses buster 

Of course I've heard that cliche.

I am not suggesting anything to anybody.

Every person is responsible for their own medical decisions.

I am conveying the news that the guidance in the US is in the process of a major change specifically suggesting that people over 60 (unless medically indicated) should not start with the aspirin therapy. Complain to them not to me.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Yes it makes sense for me because of it's significant contribution in preventing cancer.

Colo-rectal cancer can be caught early if you do a colonoscopy as recommended.

Yes, taking Aspirin has it's benefits, but also some severe draw-backs. No such draw-backs with a colonoscopy (though, more expensive than Aspirin).

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

There's a difference between being prescribed a drug and someone taking it because they read something on the internet (which happens too often nowadays).

Of course there is, but making generalised statements on medical matters is quite irresponsible.

Edited by sandyf

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Baby aspirin 40Bht for 60 tablets an almost every pharmacy.

Most of the time they say 'no have' because it isn't pronounced in any way we would imagine (as-a-pet).

Show them a photo and thy'll have it.

ASA-Aspirin-81-mg-Aspent-M-60-tablets@0.75x.png

That sounds quite expensive, these are about ⅓rd the price per tablet.

D328D636-5BF7-493D-87A8-C9524B6489AA.thumb.jpeg.7ca45068359da98d7e69f547960903b3.jpeg

• Like 1

I just heard on CNN the doctor saying if you’re over 50 or 60 don’t take aspirins every day remind me of them saying drink one cup of coffee a day and it’s good for you and years they are the same coffee isn’t good for you seems like everything changes after few years

10 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I had a mild heart attack and stent put in 5 yrs ago... started taking it then and for me, still advisable according to the article.

My best guess is it is best to take as few meds as possible - I self monitor w/BP and only take meds to get it back down... 

I too had a mild heart attack over a decade ago and was put on meds, 100mg Aspirin, blood pressure and cholesterol tablets. I can still hear the Cardiologists voice.

I have good and bad news for you, the good news is we cleared the clot that was blocking your artery, the bad news is your going to have be on these meds for the rest of your life.

Even though I see him every 2 years for my check ups, at my request, he always says I can't come off any of the meds, not even 1, and a few friends that I know say that is BS, but I will take qualified advise over friendly advice, and I suppose that I can't come off of the meds because of the stent ?

My blood pressure is around 100/65/62 first thing this morning, my Cholesterol check every 6 months along with other checks is as follows:

Cholesterol = 123 with the Reference range being 0 - 200

HDL-C = 57 Reference range is > 35

LDL-C (Direct) = 56 with the Reference range being 0 - 160 

I am 60+ and suppose I shouldn't complain with the above as they look pretty good, that said, I do wonder what told these tablets take on my liver over the years ?

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

After being active all my life came here 8 years ago and got  lazy/fat. 1 year later had a heart attack, had angioplasy done and 1 stent put in. Was prescribed baby aspirin, started working out again, ate more veggies, fruits, less meat. lost weight/gained muscle.  Take Co-Q-10  200 mg daily and really haven't taken the Apirin most days this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have continual headaches. I now take one 300mg aspirin tab in the morning, just after I rise, and another one before I go to bed to help me sleep. I keep 500mg tabs on hand for more severe pain.

I did read recently that studies in the UK have shown that some people who regularly take aspirin (I am not sure about the doses here), have been able to avoid a number of cancers.

I am not suggesting that one should therefore start taking a regular aspirin dose in an attempt to prevent cancer, because, as with everything, there is a trade-off. It could cause stomach bleeding, for example, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

As an interesting side note, and according to Dr Barry Sears, in his book "The Zone", for many years following the discovery of aspirin, medical science didn't know why it worked as a palliative, only that it did.

It seems it suppresses the activity of  certain little-known hormones, called eicosonoids (sp).

I had a by pass 34 yrs ago took baby asprin every day plus other meds about a year ago had mild heart attack ,heart doc said could not fit stent ,by pass very risky,so had my meds changed but now take coated asprin 81 mg instead of the uncoated ones.

I think i will keep on doing what the heart doc said,its keeping me alive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Hold your horses buster 

Of course I've heard that cliche.

I am not suggesting anything to anybody.

Every person is responsible for their own medical decisions.

I am conveying the news that the guidance in the US is in the process of a major change specifically suggesting that people over 60 (unless medically indicated) should not start with the aspirin therapy. Complain to them not to me.

You  extracted a statement

"New guidelines that people over 60 should NOT start taking it! That the risks outweigh the benefits."

and used a link as some form of justification, an underhand marketing technique as it is well known that most will not read the link.

Feel free to deny the irresponsibility as much as you want.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, allanos said:

I have continual headaches. I now take one 300mg aspirin tab in the morning, just after I rise, and another one before I go to bed to help me sleep. I keep 500mg tabs on hand for more severe pain.

I did read recently that studies in the UK have shown that some people who regularly take aspirin (I am not sure about the doses here), have been able to avoid a number of cancers.

I am not suggesting that one should therefore start taking a regular aspirin dose in an attempt to prevent cancer, because, as with everything, there is a trade-off. It could cause stomach bleeding, for example, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

As an interesting side note, and according to Dr Barry Sears, in his book "The Zone", for many years following the discovery of aspirin, medical science didn't know why it worked as a palliative, only that it did.

It seems it suppresses the activity of  certain little-known hormones, called eicosonoids (sp).

4 minutes ago, allanos said:

In the UK aspirin for hypertension is prescribed as 75mg dispersible, here in Thailand it is normally an 81mg coated tablet.

It is uncoated tablets where the risk lies as the aspirin can affect the stomach wall.

56 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

I just heard on CNN the doctor saying if you’re over 50 or 60 don’t take aspirins every day remind me of them saying drink one cup of coffee a day and it’s good for you and years they are the same coffee isn’t good for you seems like everything changes after few years

Yes and no.

These guidelines haven't changed in several years, perhaps decades. This is actually big and significant news.

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, Saltire said:

10 years ago I had angina and duly received 3 stents and a prescription for a beta blocker, blood pressure meds and a strong recommendation of an aspirin a day.

I was later put on statins for colesterol and metformin for diabetes.

About 3 years ago I used a keto diet to kick diabetes into remission and weaned myself off the metformin and later, the statins. I recall a Dr Berg video showing how the original claims by statin pharma that they could reduce the likelihood of an event by 38%, but since then the numbers were exposed as plain wrong and the risk reduction was shown to be around 3%.

I then attempted to come of the blood pressure meds but my daily records showed it creeping up so now I am on the original 3 meds, aspirin (80mg), BP and beta bocker.

I don't have any ill effects from these, but I am not sure I would take them if I hadn't had angina.

I will carry on with them for now, but watch for new recommendations. Things are everchanging.

I like Dr Berg for his Keto advice, but I wouldn't be coming off of any meds without a Cardiologist saying so and knowing my background.

Did you know Dr Berg is a non practising Chiropractor, that is how he calls himself a Dr, having completed his Chiropractic Degree which in the States, I believe allows you to use the post Dr part, so just stating he is not a Cardiologist, albeit is is very knowledgeable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Someone mentioned Cardiprin , a few years ago I was told to stop taking.  I now take Amlopine 10 , 1 at night and 2 Enaril . My BP was high for a long time but on checking for my Sinovac jab my BP is normal.

i mentioned Cardiprin , as the pharmacist suggested /sold it so , i only use it only 2 days before a long haul flight to avoid the risk of blood cloth in legs , not on day by day basis .

No other medication in use & no HBP, praise myself lucky up to now 

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Another crazy report from US. Why would anybody take meds, if they do not need it? Insane!

Prophylaxis … action taken to prevent disease, especially by specified means or against a specific disease. As in taking vaccines ….

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Caldera said:

I've never believed in taking medicine when I'm not sick. Long term preventive pill popping just isn't my thing, and of course there's always a risk that might not be fully understood until much later. 

I agree with you except that living many years with low vitamin D3 can cause serious problems : since read about it on Youtube I asked at my yearly check up to include vitamin D level in the blood analysis..... and it was so low that I now take 5000 IU a day (I import from the USA and Thai customs do not tax it)

• Like 1

I listened to a member of  the group issuing this warning on the basis of the long study. Of course everyone is in different circumstances. Nothing new regarding me. 5 by-passes in 2005, heart attack resulting in stent and 2 additional angioplasties in 2015. Feeling fine BUT, hmmm, colesterol meds, hypothyroid meds, blood pressure meds, Concur and baby aspirin. So, I listen to my Cardiologist. Interesting, I have found I cannot use any additional aspirin, for a headache, for example. If I had done so, I woke up looking through blood spots in my eyes … yikes! 

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Baby aspirin 40Bht for 60 tablets an almost every pharmacy.

Most of the time they say 'no have' because it isn't pronounced in any way we would imagine (as-a-pet).

Show them a photo and thy'll have it.

ASA-Aspirin-81-mg-Aspent-M-60-tablets@0.75x.png

I have the same problem where I live

8 hours ago, actonion said:

Seven years ago i  had a "Well Man"  medical  at a local hospital    they found   slightly high Cholesterol levels, the doctor said i should take Baby Asprin, i  asked why , she replied that i am at a dangerous age  of heart attack/ stroke being 66 ...  A  few years later i started a vertigo  problem   & i was told Asprin  could be the cause ..   i stopped the asprin, 2 months later i had a   full,  but minor  stroke.. now on blood thinners ++ for life

When you stopped taking aspirin , did your vertigo stop ? so what blood thinners do you take now ? Reason for my interest is I had 2 strokes last year , now on statins , baby aspirin and amlodipine 10 mg and I have dizziness and loss of balance as soon as I stand up 

4 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Most intelligent people take vaccines, which believe it, or not IS preventive medicine.

Most intelligent people take medicine to prevent Malaria (if going where it is endemic), which believe it, or not IS preventive medicine.

I have a potential stomach bleeding condition. Doctor prescribed a medicine that lowers my blood pressure and another to reduce stomach acidity, which believe it, or not IS preventive medicine.

Whatever you say. Aspirin is more dangerous than it helps.

• Confused 1