Can Thailand beat Malaysia and Singapore in the race to lure wealthy foreigners?

webfact

3 hours ago, mokwit said:

Visa is for five years because they just want their money to help Thailand recover from the pandemic and then they would like them to leave.

Heck, just come on in we won't even check your bags as we know they are full of money!

4 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Malaysia MM2H policy was a solid offering.. For less than 75K USD deposited in a Malay bank you could purchase 2 homes outright (one on land one condo in the city I think) import 1 luxury car for your own personal use (x years not sold) or buy a local new car entirely tax free that alone would save the entry cost and a whole slew of small but welcoming things like you get a local ID card which allows local pricing on tickets attractions, tourist stuff etc. Their local non local pricing systems are ones which far more clearly operate to a fair structure of resident non resident not just 'looks like me, doesnt look like me' as applied here. 

All in all the Malay offering was fairly strong and leagues ahead of what Thailand is proposing. They have just gone and changed all the requirements to far higher income levels but there seems a lot of pushback from senior Malays so its not fully clear if that will be kept or not. 

As nice as this sounds, Malaysia is a muslim country I believe and for me that is a clear no-go (re: working girls and alcohol).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

They will probably go for the 'easy' money from China. Some Chinese are keen to 'get their money out of China', for whatever reasons.

Yes indeed. I agree. and it is smart on the part of the Thais IMO, Always go for the low hanging fruit.

If you are Chines and wealthy , it is always  a good idea to keep some of your money outside China to protect against the possibility of a quick exit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LivinLOS said:

You do understand that some people can live without whores and open beer bars though yes ??

I do understand, but you have to look at the context; What does Thailand offer apart from whores and opened beer bars that other countries in either South America or even yet South Europe (Portugal, Italy, Greece, Malta, etc) don't have?

The answer is: Nothing.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NanaSomchai said:

I do understand, but you have to look at the context; What does Thailand offer apart from whores and opened beer bars that other countries in either South America or even yet South Europe (Portugal, Italy, Greece, Malta, etc) don't have?

The answer is: Nothing.

But cheap whores and scruffy beer bars might not be the biggest temptation to multi millionaires anyway.. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Henryford said:

chad3000 - a gree with most of your points but not the dental service. I think the dentists here are good and reasonably priced but then i am coming from the abysmal dental service in the UK.

This is true, but some are so good they even give you extra fillings you didn't need.

7 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Ok , wealthy tourists will be welcome to spend their money , but , Thailand will focus more on business with China

China and a few other S.E.Asean nations yes I agree... but Thailands love affair with luring wealthy European businessmen to invest heavily is a pipe-dream.

Thailand is too unstable for their liking, China knows it's safe whatever happens.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

Okay, I'll bite.

Portugal is one destination where one could retire; if you are coming from another EU country, you are free to stay 6 months at a time, no visas required, no questions asked. After a year spent in Portugal you are eligible for PR, fill two forms, two pictures and a fingerprint scan, total cost is 10.50$. After three more years you may apply for the citizenship, you de facto becoming a Portuguese citizen and a EU passport holder (the PT passport is ranked highly in the World).

As for your cost of living, you can move to Lisbon the economical capital of the country, and apply for a social apartment, the average waiting time is 3 years, once you get it, you can expect a 35$ monthly rent for the council/local authority.

The Cascais beaches are immaculate and only 59 minutes away by train from the center of Lisbon, the country has one of the nicest weathers in all of Europe, there is zero police corruption and the state/government is taking care of all your needs albeit a bit slowly.

I am sure there are other retrirement destinations that may be worth looking into, I can only speak of what I know, I don't speculate, therefore you should do your own research.

I lived in Lagos , Portugal , for nearly 10 yrs . Was a damn good time . That was the '80s ' . I left when all the big hotels were built . Went back to visit in 2010 , but did not like it any more ... The ' progress ' destroyed so much .

Retire there now ? Possible , but I still prefer it here ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1