Can Thailand beat Malaysia and Singapore in the race to lure wealthy foreigners?

webfact

3 hours ago, newnative said:

Thailand, and its local workers, would be better off if the government could attract a dozen of us for every millionaire

Very true, though I feel I should add, Thailand would be *even* better off, if they would instead focus on increasing tax revenue, by passing the necessary laws such as child support (for single women), reforming the education system, etc. to bring up the average Thai salary.

This latest scheme just shows that those in power are only thinking about what their next source of revenue could be, but are not willing to take any necessary steps to realize it, just put out the idea and hope it will come true.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 11:24 AM, Chad3000 said:

Thailand just doesn't get it.

You could have stopped there… but I agree.  [V|U]HNW Individuals care about security, which healthcare, road safety, police, and government all compromise.  Any functioning plan needs to allow for quality of life, security, and investment opportunity.  One out of three is where they are shooting for.

12 minutes ago, lkn said:

but are not willing to take any necessary steps to realize it, just put out the idea and hope it will come true.

this is exactly right. they only focus on what they want, rather than consider how to establish an environment that would be naturally attractive to the sort they want

On 10/13/2021 at 10:14 PM, lkn said:

And invest in the country.

It’s disappointing to hear someone say “we want a million wealthy people to come, so we get a cash flow” rather than “we want to make our cities so appealing that even wealthy people want to live here”.

Exactly right

On 10/14/2021 at 10:07 AM, simon43 said:

Simple answer:

No!

Simple answer... they already are.  I've friends in Malaysia, Cambodia, the Philippines, and Vietnam.  All used to live in Thailand.  Now brag about life in their new homes.

Go beyond retirement, and Thailand is becoming the lane duck in the region. Mt neighbours used to brag about Thailands lead in ASEAN, now they complainan about how the country is slipping.