Thai PM confirms Nov 1 reopening, reduced curfew, COE to be replaced with “Thailand Pass”

webfact

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

But generally for the better, no? At least that's my opinion as an outsider looking in. Just like the US, UK, Singapore, Vietnam, Australia and New Zealand, Thailand is just another country dipping a toe in the early post-Covid reopening waters. It's a pretty dynamic situation throughout the world with unofficial statements being altered and clarified in the subsequent, official pronouncements.

I can see where this may be a different viewpoint from those still living a hermit-like existence in the enchanted kingdom though. Quoting every one of Anutin's serial misinformation (plus some old ones from last year) and latching onto every Mahidol doctor's words of warning as if it's something new and important. All this while scared to go out and worried what this sudden influx of tourists, visitors and other returnees will do to their fragile bubble.

Oh yes, and moaning about the bars and clubs staying shut.

I think you have me confused with someone else.  The issues at hand come from the PM saying no quarantine and then a few of his folks like Anutin and then the TAT minister backtracking.  Before they spout anything they need to have their ducks in a row and put forth the correct message.  Mainstream international News grabbed onto what the PM said, and so did Thai Airways, and then as people started to believe they could come with no restrictions lo and behold the message changed.  What they want for Domestic tourists is not the same as what is being required for International travelers.  Inequities like I have discussed above, and then the Statements of the PM saying that the bars and such will be opened by December 1, while the TAT minister states that Pubs and such will be a thing of the past and family friendly tourism is what's wanted just again show that this Government is out of touch in reality and with themselves.  They show a divided house instead of a house in agreement.  How would you describe it?  Never said I was worried about tourists and never did I say I lived a hermit like existence.  Your view on what has been written is tainted with your views of which I will agree to disagree with.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe I have and maybe my generalizing about the huge amount of posts from the <deleted> and moan club on this and other threads doesn't apply to you. However, you have restated the pubs and clubs as somehow being mission-critical.

After about 14 months of living the unvaccinated, hermit-like existence in locked-down, locked-in Thailand, I left and since June this year, I have lived, worked, transited and quarantined(!) through five other countries. They are all largely winging it, making the best of the band hand they've been dealt and the politicization of the pandemic isn't unique to Thailand. I have also managed to get fully vaccinated. Bonus!

After almost two years of the restrictions of Covid, if anyone jumped online yesterday and tried to book a flight, vacation or any sort of travel based on what the PM was pre-emptively asking the pertinent authorities to consider, then maybe they haven't been paying much attention? We have known for months that the devil is in the details and what is stated as the final plan by the CCSA on a Friday still needs to be approved by the cabinet and published in the Royal Gazette before it happens on Monday. Carping about the left hand, right hand, Anutin this or MOPH that and other irrelevances a full two weeks before D-Day is a waste of time.

Three weeks ago, I was looking at 14 days of ASQ. Last week I was looking at 7 days ASQ. Yesterday, I was looking at a free pass at BKK. If they happen to delay me by 24 or 48 hours just to make sure I am still all clear, I will take that as a bonus after the collective 50-odd days of quarantine in other, less comfortable accommodations in other countries.

Thailand will reopen (like other countries) and there will be infection surges (like other countries) and they will make the best of it (like other countries). At least there's not a shortage of lorry drivers and slaughterhouse workers (like other countries).

Again you miss the main point and that tis the inequality that has and will be imposed upon vaccinated and PCR tested negative travelers vs. the locals who many of are unvaccinated and yet those that are vaccinated can travel without a quarantine as they enter places like Phuket and the other sandbox areas.  

As you say:" Carping about the left hand, right hand, Anutin this or MOPH that and other irrelevances a full two weeks before D-Day is a waste of time", when in reality it creates more havoc with what they have said and then what is being done.  People do not  just up and decide that they will hop on a flight and head to Thailand anymore.  It takes timing and then jumping through hoops that will still be in place, yet that is not what made it's way out to the rest of the world.  Add into that that the Sandbox in Phuket generated just over 40k visitors, many of which were returnees and not tourists.  I agree to disagree with your sentiment as it is not what I see from my side of actually being here in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

There goes the Thai government re branding things again.  Maybe the Thailand Pass, will not have any restrictions

printed on it like the COE did.  With 1 or 2 days having to stay in an ASQ hotel in Bangkok, or your arrival 

city in Thailand then freedom to enjoy your holiday, there may be some more travelers headed to Thailand.

By December 1st, a temperature check at the airports for the arrivals, may be the newest change for foreigners

arriving in Thailand to spent their money and enjoy their holidays. This high tourist season, is stumbling along

with the help of TAT and the great Thailand government.  Good job folks. (sarcasm)

Geezer

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Again you miss the main point and that tis the inequality that has and will be imposed upon vaccinated and PCR tested negative travelers vs. the locals who many of are unvaccinated and yet those that are vaccinated can travel without a quarantine as they enter places like Phuket and the other sandbox areas.  

As you say:" Carping about the left hand, right hand, Anutin this or MOPH that and other irrelevances a full two weeks before D-Day is a waste of time", when in reality it creates more havoc with what they have said and then what is being done.  People do not  just up and decide that they will hop on a flight and head to Thailand anymore.  It takes timing and then jumping through hoops that will still be in place, yet that is not what made it's way out to the rest of the world.  Add into that that the Sandbox in Phuket generated just over 40k visitors, many of which were returnees and not tourists.  I agree to disagree with your sentiment as it is not what I see from my side of actually being here in Thailand.

Surely the main point is to avoid getting over-excited about the unofficial pronouncements, no? At east wait until they become official? The confusion only exists for those that can't tell the difference between the PM's suggestions, media discussion before the CCSA announcement and the final cabinet-approved new rules.

This thread is about the PLANNED changes to the entry procedures for foreigners. You mention the inequalities you see being foisted on the diminishing numbers of unvaccinated locals to accommodate these visitors. From what I see,  the Thai government is doing its best to encourage the vaccine-hesitant local community to get vaccinated without making it mandatory. Domestic air travelers of any nationality need to be fully vaccinated. What else can they do? Keep the borders closed for longer?

What is it that you see while being kettled up in Thailand for longer than I was that somehow invalidates my sentiments? I keep myself fully apprised of the rapidly changing situation and personally, I do not see any of the 'havoc' that you speak of.

The Phuket sandbox is consigned to history as a test. It is over. If some people still get a kick out of laughing at the TAT and provincial authorities that no longer talk about the low numbers or real tourists, carry on.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fusion58 said:

So, if you're one of those lucky souls who received a COE this month and who plans to enter Thailand after 11/1, will your COE still be honored, or will you be expected to jump through yet another hoop, i.e., obtain a "Thailand Pass" prior to entry?

This uncertainty is really annoying. What about the people who got their COE in October already for entry on November 1st, 2nd or 3rd? Are the COEs still valid or do you have to enter all the paperwork into the new Thai Pass app at the last minute? No clear announcement from those responsible. Regardless of the fact that the New Thai Pass app is still not available and is probably currently being programmed.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fusion58 said:

So, if you're one of those lucky souls who received a COE this month and who plans to enter Thailand after 11/1, will your COE still be honored, or will you be expected to jump through yet another hoop, i.e., obtain a "Thailand Pass" prior to entry?

I'm on the same boat with you, can't decide if i should apply for COE this Monday or wait for Thailand Pass on November 1.

My concern is if this new system is going to be fast enough and if i could obtain this "pass" before my flight date.

I'll fly to BKK on 11th November and have to do AQ for 7 days, as my country is not on the "low-risk list".

I think it's better to go for a COE to be on the safe side.

Any opinions ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moarr said:

I'm on the same boat with you, can't decide if i should apply for COE this Monday or wait for Thailand Pass on November 1.

My concern is if this new system is going to be fast enough and if i could obtain this "pass" before my flight date.

I'll fly to BKK on 11th November and have to do AQ for 7 days, as my country is not on the "low-risk list".

Any opinions ?

Yeah, tell Thailand to get <deleted>

On 10/14/2021 at 2:00 PM, webfact said:

This is a developing story, this post may be updated without warning.

If not by you, Webfact, it sure as he11 will be by the government....

Can't wait to wake up and read what another official has to say.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, moarr said:

Any opinions ?

If your country isn’t on the low-risk list, and if there’s no indication that it will make the list in the foreseeable future, then I would think you’d have nothing to lose by applying for COE now as all the requirements for insurance and ASQ hotel booking will remain the same either way.

As for me, I’m currently in limbo as my COE application was pre-approved last week and I’m now waiting for final approval after submitting my flight details and hotel booking receipt.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

This uncertainty is really annoying. What about the people who got their COE in October already for entry on November 1st, 2nd or 3rd? Are the COEs still valid or do you have to enter all the paperwork into the new Thai Pass app at the last minute? No clear announcement from those responsible. Regardless of the fact that the New Thai Pass app is still not available and is probably currently being programmed.

If I understand the latest press release correctly, then applications for the “Thailand Pass” will be done via a “web-based system” (as opposed to a mobile app.) Let’s hope this is the case as I can’t imagine how the Thai IT geniuses could develop an app that would be accessible by people from ~30 different countries.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, mauroest said:

@moarr  me too the same, but I am bored to wait one week for more ''should be, may be, could be''  etc etc
The COE form is the actual Law and I am sending documents now by it

Got my COE for entry to Phuket on November 2nd with departure on November 1st.
I assume that the paper will remain valid, but whether the staff at the check-in counter is really informed?
On November 1st, the ground staff only received the information that all travelers to Thailand now have to show a QR code from the new Thaipass app (which does not exist yet!!!).
Whether you have to re-enter all your paperwork into the new app at the last minute or not is completely unclear.
For someone who has to fly back and forth a lot and has to plan this enormous amount of paper in advance, these short-term unclear changes are totally annoying.
I have had enormous stress twice in the past. First, the endless discussions at the check-in counter when the Fit for Fly paper was no longer required as a travel requirement. And secondly on May 6th, when the quarantine time was suddenly increased from 10 to 14 days with a very short notice.
Conclusion: These constant short-term and unclear changes are not only annoying for the travelers, but also for the airline staff, who sometimes do not know how to handle the whole thing. In case of doubt, the passenger will be refused boarding.

Edited by tomacht8

19 hours ago, mauroest said:

@moarr  me too the same, but I am bored to wait one week for more ''should be, may be, could be''  etc etc
The COE form is the actual Law and I am sending documents now by it

Same policy under a different name.