Are you happy in Thailand?

BritManToo

Are you happy in Thailand?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Happy when wife is happy

Unhappy when she's moaning or in a mood

If it was not for my daughter finishing up HS, we would have left a couple of years ago.  The biggest problem (aside from the constantly changing rules for me to stay here) is the wife can't keep her face out of the Thai news and such and is ready to join the resistance should real internal strife here happen.  Happy wife, happy life as you said.  The opposite is also true.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i guess if people are unhappy they need to change their life, maybe move home or somewhere else

Good point but if you say go home if you dont like it you get commented on.

Anyway I agree people who are unhappy should move or change something. Nobody is going to help you. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Cannot stop laughing.........really, ... I don't know why people keep going on about the visa situation , if you have everything in order + , 2-3 hours ,1 day a year , 90 day reports , online , if that does not work pop it in the post , + retirement extension.

Thailand has been very good to me , I feel if I had stayed in the UK I would have died long ago, wrong food, too much  stress, and the weather.

All around the World there's earthquakes , Raging fires, droughts , starvation, and violence , here I feel safe, and I am very happy with my situation. 

regards worgeordie

Well, it's three hours to assemble the paperwork. Sit with a sour middle aged dowager just looking for something, anything to send you for a copy of this or back home if they have a real win.

My wife is always respected but me I'm just spam in a tin. Mind you I'm always very well dressed and put my teaching license and wp atop the paperwork which is uneeded to add an additional layer of respect (very good schools, nationally recognized). They always find something to tell you is not correct despite the paperwork going through ten times before. Oh, thank you!! So kind...

Three half day + trips to MTT for a cost of 1200b. 90 day broken two years now.

If we were to move we'd have the disaster of the TM 30 to set up and worry about with landlord.

The stupidity of bank letters, balances and updating books is totally retarded thinking.

All of it operates under a fog of dislike and distrust.

Now, we have this *climate of fear* comment.

No serious path to citizenship or PR (200k).

When I used to make TR visas in US and Asia 2003-2011 it was turning into a logistical nightmare. Pettiness. Chess game.

Maybe you're one of the guys the wife does everything and you go together with some inspid gift for the io. No thanks.

My wife now has her second TEN YEAR visa. While only allowed six months at a go here's what she has to do while in the UNITED STATES:

NOTHING

Edit: Millions thrown into poverty, country in recession for years. All around the world is chaos but here it's heaven. Hmmm students would not agree with you but glad you're alright Jack.

Edited by Chad3000
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I like my home, pets, woman, kids, car, m/c.

I like my women. 

Being retired for me means the simple life.  I do not need a home, pets, kids, car, or m/c .   

Plenty of public transpo options in Pattaya and walking is good enough for me

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Yes, I have a much better life here than I could anywhere else... I like Thai people, love my family... enjoy my freedoms... though time is catching up with me... but that would happen anywhere...

So far so good but I have only been here 20 years. We all know the virus has been making things much more restricted and I hope the government doesn't start mandating everything like in many countries. If or when this virus fades away into the night, we will all be a much happier bunch for this I'm sure.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

Well, it's three hours to assemble the paperwork. Sit with a sour middle aged dowager just looking for something, anything to send you for a copy of this or back home if they have a real win.

Left my condo around 12:30, got on baht bus to Jomtien, went to Kasikorn they did bank letter and printed out one year of transactions, 300 baht.  Walked to immigration, got my copies of chanote, filled out my TM7, got a photo taken, 85 baht.  Immigration just opened door, got in line, got a number and sat down.  Started signing bottom of all my pages of bank transactions and passport copy, etc...  name called, sat about 5 minutes, signed a paper, paid 1900 baht and got a number to return today for my passport.

Walk back to beach road = total time a little over one hour.

Stick with a retirement visa, marriage visa more involved AFAIK, just like marriages themselves...why have your life here dependent on a marriage for a visa? 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

The corporal that did my extension last week was really slim, young and pretty.

Less than 2hrs including collecting all the paperwork at CM.

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That is usually when someone complains about something stupid like beach closures for covid, then some plonker will say if you don't like it go home

That is true too, its not like we have to accept everything.

But my point remains if your unhappy here like you i think its time to move. (if location ist he reason for being unhappy)

1 hour ago, Chad3000 said:

My wife is always respected but me I'm just spam in a tin. Mind you I'm always very well dressed and put my teaching license and wp atop the paperwork which is uneeded to add an additional layer of respect (very good schools, nationally recognized). They always find something to tell you is not correct despite the paperwork going through ten times before. Oh, thank you!! So kind...

Three half day + trips to MTT for a cost of 1200b. 90 day broken two years now.

If we were to move we'd have the disaster of the TM 30 to set up and worry about with landlord.

The stupidity of bank letters, balances and updating books is totally retarded thinking.

All of it operates under a fog of dislike and distrust.

Now, we have this *climate of fear* comment.

No serious path to citizenship or PR (200k).

When I used to make TR visas in US and Asia 2003-2011 it was turning into a logistical nightmare. Pettiness. Chess game.

Maybe you're one of the guys the wife does everything and you go together with some inspid gift for the io. No thanks.

My wife now has her second TEN YEAR visa. While only allowed six months at a go here's what she has to do while in the UNITED STATES:

NOTHING

Edit: Millions thrown into poverty, country in recession for years. All around the world is chaos but here it's heaven. Hmmm students would not agree with you but glad you're alright Jack.

Looks like you are applying for a work visa to be a teacher , correct ?. 

of cause it's going to be more difficult for you , they have to do more

checks on you to make sure your a fit person to be around children,

I was referring to doing a retirement extension.

"My wife is always respected but me I'm just spam in a tin." it seems your

the one that takes their wife to Immigration, not me. don't know why you

would have to make a snide remark like that anyway . have a nice day.

regards Worgeordie

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The corporal that did my extension last week was really slim, young and pretty.

Less than 2hrs including collecting all the paperwork at CM.

I bet she asked for your number and begged you for a date.

In Bangkok.

Time to sort the paperwork, copies, bank letters, etc probably five hours.

Trip to CW at 615am b130 (260). RT two hours.

Waiting and processing 700-1030/1100

Return for extension b260. Waiting 90 minutes to two hours. Time in taxi two hours +/-.

I guess that's the consolation for living in CM. I've been twice in 30 years and once was just passing through.

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Looks like you are applying for a work visa to be a teacher , correct ?. 

of cause it's going to be more difficult for you , they have to do more

checks on you to make sure your a fit person to be around children,

No. My visa is based on my ten year marriage. Teaching is just a hobby.

No, immigration processes paperwork they don't screen for criminal issues. Some need a criminal record printout locally or abroad. I'm not on that visa.

17 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

I bet she asked for your number and begged you for a date.

I didn't actually speak to her, the immigration staff just talk to my gf.

In CM they're fully staffed, never seen so many staff before, mostly new young people.

And the only queue is for Chinese folk doing COVID extensions.

Retirement, and family extension, almost no applicants, it's the easiest it's ever been.

I hope the country remains closed forever.

The only complaint I currently have is my local swimming pool.

When are they going to open it again, my kid and I are dying for a swim.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

“Sit with a sour middle aged dowager just looking for something, anything to send you for a copy of this or back home if they have a real win.”

My Exact Experience at Municipal for Foreigner Yellow House Reg. Book….. EightVisits ! over 12 weeks.

Add Humiliating Intrusive Irrelevant Questions to Myself AND My Lady. Giant Toad Bitch. Power Abuse.

Untold Trips to Local City for Documents, Fingerprinting, Translations & Pink ID.

Estimated 40-45 hours total time.

Two Goals by All Local Authorities ( comes from Top) re. Foreigners here PROFIT and HUMILIATION.

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

My thai wife easily got her ' carte de sejour ' back in France . That's like an identity card . Certificate of marriage , residential address asked for , nothing else . She had the same rights as every french citizen , she got social security as well ... Renewed every 5 yrs with a smile , super easy , friendly people . Rules did never change ( pre Covid ) no need to worry , life was easy for her being a foreigner in France .

Why can't it be like this in Thailand ?

Because they never had an Emperor as Napoleon ....most of all our European laws are based on that  (code Naoleon ) .....exception for U.K (England that time )....You can see the result...????....????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

When I go for my hourly push bike ride from village to village every afternoon weather permitting, the amount of looks, raised chins, waves, hello's I get is unbelievable, the ones that have that stare on their faces soon turns to a big smile, once I smile, as for some soi dogs, well they don't like me so muk.

I think I saw you last Wednesday.

6E3CE3EB-7C2C-4E3B-91E1-7B70AB6551FF_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Haha 2

Happy enough here.  Teaching online has its ups and downs.  Working here of course pension and what the future holds is always a concern but I'm saving a fair bit enough I suppose.

I'm at an age where I realize that people will <deleted> and moan at times wherever they are (myself included).  There are a lot of amazing things here including warm weather, food, cost of living, cultural activities, and pretty ladies to more than offset the negatives.

Granted, some days are better than others but I am sure COVID is having some effect on people's feelings about being here.  One can only hope that soon enough we are past it enough to return to normalcy.

• Like 2

I am still happier to be here than in my country of birth.  However, I used to be much happier, and certainly more content, when things here were simpler and the government didn't make me feel so unwelcome with all of their ever-changing rules, edicts, and requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

?? Why?

I feel very comfortable having kept those ties? What's the downside for you?

I would certainly feel less comfortable having all of my eggs in one basket.

As long as you don't have property in Australia, you should be good, because on top of paying 1/3rd in tax on your rental income and not being allowed to claim any outgoing expenses, such as council, water rates, insurances etc, you will be up for a 42% capital gains tax bill from the day you purchased your property as per the change in the legislation as at 1 July 2019.

Now if that's not firing a rocket up anyone's rear for wanting to live overseas and hold onto property, then I don't know what is.