Are you happy in Thailand?

BritManToo

Are you happy in Thailand?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Another question could be.

Taking away your wife/GF and possessions.

How happy are you in Thailand?

Yes, I'm happy here.

No, I'd be happier somewhere else.

I bet you would see some difference in the voting if the above applied in the survey, as IMO that is the only thing that is keeping many expats here.

Edited by possum1931

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Stick with a retirement visa, marriage visa more involved AFAIK, just like marriages themselves...why have your life here dependent on a marriage for a visa? 

IMHO the marriage extension is just as easy as the retirement extension if you have your papers in order, same thing applies, bank letter, statements, photos, a map and a couple of other docs.

The immigration officers don't like it because there work gets checked on, simple as that, whereas the retirement extension doesn't get checked so they can relax.

I like you, sign the docs well before I go and I am in and out within 30-45 minutes, being the 1st cab of the rank when they open up.

Those that complain that it is too difficult are more than likely unorganised, I keep a PDF copy of what I need, everything has been scanned into a file in My Docs under Immigration Paperwork of what I require, so its a matter of me sitting there in front of my laptop pressing the button for each doc as I listen to Led Zeppelin playing Black Dog, this way it makes it so much more enjoyable when I press the button to print....ah ah, ah, ah

Happy in the LOS.....

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not really,

I was looking for the numbers of happy/unhappy because people keep posting 'all the people on this forum are unhappy' in Thailand. Numbers so far indicate  85% of TV posters are happy.

If I thought I'd be happier somewhere else, I would just move there.

That's easier said than done. Family, possessions etc.

21 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

IMHO the marriage extension is just as easy as the retirement extension if you have your papers in order, same thing applies, bank letter, statements, photos, a map and a couple of other docs.

The immigration officers don't like it because there work gets checked on, simple as that, whereas the retirement extension doesn't get checked so they can relax.

I like you, sign the docs well before I go and I am in and out within 30-45 minutes, being the 1st cab of the rank when they open up.

Those that complain that it is too difficult are more than likely unorganised, I keep a PDF copy of what I need, everything has been scanned into a file in My Docs under Immigration Paperwork of what I require, so its a matter of me sitting there in front of my laptop pressing the button for each doc as I listen to Led Zeppelin playing Black Dog, this way it makes it so much more enjoyable when I press the button to print....ah ah, ah, ah

Happy in the LOS.....

Don't you have to keep on adjusting your PDF because of the rule changes and different interpretation of the rules by different IOs? This is Thailand.

• Haha 1

I loved the story in Thich Nhat Hanh book 'Peace in Every Step'.

He tells a story )I paraphrase) of a falang trainee monk who travels here and there as part of his training into the monk-hood. Everywhere he goes he complains about this and that being 's.it', how some devotees don't practice 'properly', how others aren't devoted enough and eat meat and have phones etc etc. He often uses the words s.it when describing what he judges, usually very harshly.

The old monk 'guru' who was often the gentle listening receiver of his griping said to him one day to look inside his typical austere cotton shoulder-bag as he complained yet again. The devotee found and pulled out a piece of s.it from his bag. The old monks said to him no wonder everywhere you go all you are aware of is s.it.  

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Don't you have to keep on adjusting your PDF because of the rule changes and different interpretation of the rules by different IOs? This is Thailand.

Rural immigration office, same I/O's (3) only had a couple of changes in 6 years, easy to delete and add a line on the word doc and then save it as a PDF again.

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Rural immigration office, same I/O's (3) only had a couple of changes in 6 years, easy to delete and add a line on the word doc and then save it as a PDF again.

"only had a couple of changes in 6 years," Your lucky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

As long as you don't have property in Australia, you should be good, because on top of paying 1/3rd in tax on your rental income and not being allowed to claim any outgoing expenses, such as council, water rates, insurances etc, you will be up for a 42% capital gains tax bill from the day you purchased your property as per the change in the legislation as at 1 July 2019.

Now if that's not firing a rocket up anyone's rear for wanting to live overseas and hold onto property, then I don't know what is.

I can't see something saying you can't claim deductions same as a resident, such as rates, against rental income as a non-resident. 

I don't think it will affect me in any case. The more I look at this site the more I think I'll spend six months in each place. 

17 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Sure, I could have gone on and on. The stray dog situation is horrific and utterly uncivilised. Yes, there is no energy or spark here, everyone just mopes around, slowly.

Highlight of the week is a trip to Big C/Lotus, do me a favour.

So stop sitting on your a#s and complaining. Go and do something positive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

I loved the story in Thich Nhat Hanh book 'Peace in Every Step'.

He tells a story )I paraphrase) of a falang trainee monk who travels here and there as part of his training into the monk-hood. Everywhere he goes he complains about this and that being 's.it', how some devotees don't practice 'properly', how others aren't devoted enough and eat meat and have phones etc etc. He often uses the words s.it when describing what he judges, usually very harshly.

The old monk 'guru' who was often the gentle listening receiver of his griping said to him one day to look inside his typical austere cotton shoulder-bag as he complained yet again. The devotee found and pulled out a piece of s.it from his bag. The old monks said to him no wonder everywhere you go all you are aware of is s.it.  

Nice attempt at a shift. 

Such intriguing distractions wouldn't be appreciated here nor understood.

After a good year of moving to various places and having BKK as a temporary home base, I finally got my misses to accept Chiang Mai for the long haul. Will buy a cheap home that is paid off in 5 years time, schools aren't too expensive and I know every place and soi too.

So I guess, will still be quite happy again soon, specially as it both saves me money short term as well long term. I could survive a 65% slash of income in case more bad things are happening over the next couple of years. 

• Like 1

Geez.  I must have added  10  years onto my life expectancy ...

Stress level went from NY/USA  95% to about 5%  Family members back in the  US say,  wow.. your voice changed, you sound so relaxed

The weather is great,  the  scenery is breathtaking beautiful, the  found is fabulous, the  monetary value vs the  US is soooo favorable  

the people that I choose to interact with are truly warm and  gracious, and..  other than basic language skills ( I can fend for myself )

I really can't hold an in depth conversation with the  locals.. "PRICELESS"

20210817_062520.jpg

Home is where you hang your hat, and one person's paradise, is another person's hell.  That said, I noticed several people saying they're happy in Thailand due to the 'freedom'.  What freedoms are you talking about?

Can't buy property.

Can't realistically obtain permanent residency or citizenship.

Can't work without paying a significant amount of money EVERY month.

Can be sued by anyone for anything for any reason....especially if you hurt someone's feelings.

A car accident, whether your fault or not, is potential financial ruin and jail time.  

FYI, The Science ™ followers will never let the bars/clubs open again and the religious fanatics praying to their ghosts and running the country will agree with them.

Freedom?  You're a frog in a pot of water on the stove....you just don't realize it.  Other than China, Myanmar, Iran, North Korea, almost any other country on the planet has more 'freedom' than Thailand.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Used2LuvThailand said:

Home is where you hang your hat, and one person's paradise, is another person's hell.  That said, I noticed several people saying they're happy in Thailand due to the 'freedom'.  What freedoms are you talking about?

Can't buy property.

Can't realistically obtain permanent residency or citizenship.

Can't work without paying a significant amount of money EVERY month.

Can be sued by anyone for anything for any reason....especially if you hurt someone's feelings.

A car accident, whether your fault or not, is potential financial ruin and jail time.  

FYI, The Science ™ followers will never let the bars/clubs open again and the religious fanatics praying to their ghosts and running the country will agree with them.

Freedom?  You're a frog in a pot of water on the stove....you just don't realize it.  Other than China, Myanmar, Iran, North Korea, almost any other country on the planet has more 'freedom' than Thailand.

You make some good points. 

I think the freedom some talk about relates to Thai women and the fact that their nature means they are more likely to let western men be themselves and not try and turn you into something you are not. On the other hand it may be just the  freedom for some to get women on a limited budget.

A further example of Thai freedom might relate to business e.g. street food which is much freer in Thailand - so many regulations in Australia. But Thailand has it's own limits - corruption, when you can buy alcohol, etc. 

Some mention the lax road rules in Thailand as a type of freedom. It might feel good but makes road travel 100 times more dangerous than elsewhere.

Thailand seems to have other freedoms - the freedom to pollute - burn off or leave rubbish where you see fit. The freedom to exploit workers with low pay. The freedom for the super rich to get richer. 

In reality Australia in many aspects is much more free and fair.  Sure - it's been a bit tough during covid - but now most people are vaccinated and those times are coming back. 

Being on this site makes me see the good in Thailand and the good in Australia. 

On 10/15/2021 at 5:19 AM, zzaa09 said:

I imagine she really doesn't want to go back to the States. 

At this point she does. In a few week? Who knows.

When we were in The US ,we could not wait to get here. now ? 

Perhaps part of human nature,  A bit of the grass being greener on the other side. 

And the same applies wanting to go back. 

I think a lot has to do with Covid Travel restrictions. In the past  we were always going someplace or planning to go, It broke up the monotony , now we are stuck like a stick in the mud. This Covid situation is screwing with all our psyches. 

If it wasn't  for  covid, we could pop back in the states, or visit friends and family  in Greece, my sister in Italy, etc. Brake thind up. 

Good news it seems to be ending , there is some light at the end of the tunnel, So let's all hung in there for a few more months. ????

15 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"only had a couple of changes in 6 years," Your lucky.

I have to be honest, 2 out of the 3 of them are great, friendly, chatty, but one has a long face and picky.

I always take the wife, she is not one to take $hit from him and has even said to him in front of the other 2, you are the only one that has made us do extra stuff, the others are so much better than you, they even smile, and they are more relaxed, both laughing as they were sitting right next to him. He then replied, I don't change the rules, head office does, then handed the wife some docs and said maybe next time you come you will have to bring more documents. With my wife saying "up to you", don't you know my husband by now, he always bring extra documents just in case "head office" changes the rules, so he is prepared.

Don't like him, but what can you do, it's a matter of the draw.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I can't see something saying you can't claim deductions same as a resident, such as rates, against rental income as a non-resident. 

I don't think it will affect me in any case. The more I look at this site the more I think I'll spend six months in each place. 

If your doing 6 months here and 6 months there, your still a resident and can claim.

Perhaps I should have been clearer, e.g. if you an non-resident lodging a tax return you can negatively gear your losses against the property, i.e. your still making an income, on the other hand, if you are not lodging a tax return as most expats do because they are not working and making an income, then those losses can be rolled over until such a time that the property is sold and will be sorted out then, in other words, you can't claim the loss, because it will eventually be paid in the end.

The above said, the biggest concern is the 42% capital gain tax bill dated back to when the property was 1st purchased, i.e. if you are a non-resident for tax purposes.

Only way around that is to move back in and then sell it to avoid the capital gains tax going all the way back to the purchase date.

Always best to talk to a qualified accountant before anything otherwise changes might cost you.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

In Asia women are instantly replaceable, usually with a younger and prettier one.

When I first started traveling to Thailand 30+ years ago, the age difference between me and a 25 year-old Thai girl wasn't so great. Now a 25 year-old Thai girl is still 25 but I am 30+ years on.

• Haha 1

So HAPPY, Love it
Thailand has been my home for over 20 years 
Wouldn't be anywhere else. I have teenage children that were born in Bangkok hospital Pattaya, grew up in the same house, been going to the same schools. We are lucky here in Pattaya, excellent schools, world class hospitals, wonderful shopping centers and many things to do with the family. 

Over the years I've been working in many countries around the world on a 28/28 day rotation. I'm an Australian, it's so much easier to fly, get to work from Bangkok Airports. 

I've been fortunate, not sure if I'd still be alive if I hadn't been working, probably be dead through alcohol abuse. 

I find it very difficult to understand how a foreigner can work here in pattaya, Thailand is around the clock for fun and relaxation, not just weekends, working here in Pattaya would be difficult. I've worked down in Songkla, offshore, on a rig, no temptation so it was OK working 4 week rotation on the rig. 

I spend all my time in Thailand, not going anywhere, on my time off, I get asked regularly why I don't go to Australia. There is no need, all my friends and family come to Thailand to visit, I've only been back to Australia a few times over the last 20 years, the company I work for occasionally sends me to Australia for work visas for different countries. 

I came to Thailand because it's perfect for me, I'm still in my 50's, so many more years to enjoy this beautiful land (fingers crossed). 

I hope things don't change, I get ticked off by foreigners that want to change Thailand, also the haters, the complainers and moaners.

I prefer Thailand the way it is, leave it be, it works for me. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 2

Surprised only shy of 21% considering most prefer to complain on forum, along with most that are very happy with Thailand, probably aren't bored enough to visit AN or care about such a survey if members.????

I only visit such threads, if really bored, along with 'what 3 countries' would you go to, as no plans on leaving, but popped in just for the hell of it.