Update on thailand pass and thailand no quarantine

4 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

I am on "obamacare" using CIGNA a PPO plan and I got coverage for everything.  I know I am covered, but doubt I could convince Thailand of that for anything.  I

I'm not clear exactly what you have, but I have a standard Cigna policy and they provided me a letter to accompany my existing certificate that confirmed that COVID is specifically covered and the amount of cover.

12 hours ago, sirineou said:

The problem I had with my CoE was that they rejected my Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance certificate because it did not say 100k covid caverage,  even though it said Unlimited coverage including covid 19. Even though I hade what is considered the Cadillac of medical insurance, , and I was fully vaccinated , which meant that my chance of using the covid insurance was very low, they wanted me to go and buy additional covid 19 insurance, I had to call twice to straighten the thing out. other than that I did not have a problem 

My concern  is , with a online portal, who do you call? Would there be a way to bypass the portal? We will see. 

On a related note. I will be on Medicare soon. Medicare Supp B says they will pay for COVID test.  So that would take care of whatever any airline might need. Now if required to get a test on arrival in Thailand, some have said Emirates covers that.  But I won't be flying on Emirates.  I guess will check with airlines and what they do as more open up 

6 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

I'm not clear exactly what you have, but I have a standard Cigna policy and they provided me a letter to accompany my existing certificate that confirmed that COVID is specifically covered and the amount of cover.

was that accepted by the Thai authorities as required proof of COVID insurance?  Did you submit that with a COE?  What existing certificate are you referring to.

And as a follow, if applicable did you get your CIGNA signed off and accepted by Thailand for the mandatory insurance a visa such as th OA requires?

Edited by gk10012001

12 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

On a related note. I will be on Medicare soon. Medicare Supp B says they will pay for COVID test.  So that would take care of whatever any airline might need. Now if required to get a test on arrival in Thailand, some have said Emirates covers that.  But I won't be flying on Emirates.  I guess will check with airlines and what they do as more open up 

Don't quote me, but I think a PCR test is about $40 (1500 bht) , someone with experience o the subject please correct me. 

So search for airline tickets that give you the best price, and  itinerary. If Emirates does that . and gives you a free PCT test also, Great!

But if you are going to pay  $300 mope for a ticket to get a free $40 test....

But I don't think Emirates gives a free PCR test upon arrival,(could be wrong) . I think what they do is provide free covid insurance.  

Edited by sirineou
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Don't quote me, but I think a PCR test is about $40 (1500 bht) , someone with experience o the subject please correct me. 

So search for airline tickets that give you the best price, and  itinerary. If Emirates does that . and gives you a free PCT test also, Great!

But if you are going to pay  $300 mope for a ticket to get a free $40 test....

But I don't think Emirates gives a free PCR test upon arrival,(could be wrong) . I think what they do is provide free covid insurance.  

Oh yeah.  I won't be going out of my way.  I always prefer EVA Premium Economy out of LAX, but Taiwan not allowing transit flight connections until January.  ANA is flying via Japan and I always had good flights with ANA or JAL.  Everything depends on what thailand finally settles out on. 

I do point out that or the last few months the Thai Officials have couched most things with the words simiar to "...Conditional on 70% vaccination Rates.."  I doubt that is going to happen anywhere.   So I plan on waiting a bit in case they reverse a lot of things.

11 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

was that accepted by the Thai authorities as required proof of COVID insurance?  Did you submit that with a COE?  What existing certificate are you referring to.

And as a follow, if applicable did you get your CIGNA signed off and accepted by Thailand for the mandatory insurance a visa such as th OA requires?

I don't have Cigna, I have Blue cross Blue shield , and they provided me with a certificate that was eventually accepter for my CoE. Call your Insurance provider, explain the situation and ask them for a letter. Explain to them that the letter should include the verbiage 100k Covid19 coverage. Mine did not say that, instead it said unlimited coverage, and the embassy where I applied for my COE, initially gave me a hard time before they relented and accepted my letter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

I don't have Cigna, I have Blue cross Blue shield , and they provided me with a certificate that was eventually accepter for my CoE. Call your Insurance provider, explain the situation and ask them for a letter. Explain to them that the letter should include the verbiage 100k Covid19 coverage. Mine did not say that, instead it said unlimited coverage, and the embassy where I applied for my COE, initially gave me a hard time before they relented and accepted my letter. 

haha.  I love it.  Usually unlimited > 100k,  but sometimes Thais go by the letter of their policies and a clerk needs to see the exact words.  Thanks

On 10/16/2021 at 6:46 AM, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Wonder how long it will take the clowns who run the show here to understand that there are other countries with more friendlier rules that the tourists are going to instead of Thailand? 

Can you name them and describe how their rules are easier.

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

haha.  I love it.  Usually unlimited > 100k,  but sometimes Thais go by the letter of their policies and a clerk needs to see the exact words.  Thanks

To their defence, Back then they were very busy. and rather than carefully read the whole letter, I guess they just quickly scan it for the verbiage " 100,000 covid caverage" It was crazy back then because they had changed the quarantine requirements from 7 days for vaccinated people  to 14 days regardless of vaccination for arrivals May 6th and later. and everyone was scrambling to get in before then. 

As it is we barely made it under the wire and we got in May 4th????

Also check Qatar airlines , they have good service  and often have good prices.  make sure you don't get in  very late at night, because it might be too late for your PCR test and you might have to wait until the next day for your test, and then an additional night for your results. 

Anyway, Right now there are a lot of proposals, and counter proposals. There is a new story every day. Here in Thailand nothing is official until it is published in the Royal Gazer. So keep an eye out for that in this forum, I am sure it will be posted as soon as it happens. And it should happen soon because Nov 1st is only two weeks away. 

Edited by sirineou

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

To their defence, Back then they were very busy. and rather than carefully read the whole letter, I guess they just quickly scan it for the verbiage " 100,000 covid caverage" It was crazy back then because they had changed the quarantine requirements from 7 days for vaccinated people  to 14 days regardless of vaccination for arrivals May 6th and later. and everyone was scrambling to get in before then. 

As it is we barely made it under the wire and we got in May 4th????

Also check Qatar airlines , they have good service  and often have good prices.  make sure you don't get in  very late at night, because it might be too late for your PCR test and you might have to wait until the next day for your test, and then an additional night for your results. 

Anyway, Right now there are a lot of proposals, and counter proposals. There is a new story every day. Here in Thailand nothing is official until it is published in the Royal Gazer. Sp keep eye out for that in this forum, I am sure it will be posted as soon as it happens. And it should happen soon because Nov 1st is only two weeks away. 

yes.  Good point about arrival time at BKK.  It does seem questionable on if they can handle large numbers of arrivals and how and when they will do it, keep order, where do they do the PCR test, keep records straight, etc.  I travel with just my one carry on bag and am used to getting into and then out of BKK and through immigration and passport control really fast.   ( thanks to watching that Rick Steves European travel show.  I still have the same bag I bought for my first trip to Thailand in 2004 and it looks as good as new.) 

3 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

yes.  Good point about arrival time at BKK.  It does seem questionable on if they can handle large numbers of arrivals and how and when they will do it, keep order, where do they do the PCR test, keep records straight, etc.  I travel with just my one carry on bag and am used to getting into and then out of BKK and through immigration and passport control really fast.   ( thanks to watching that Rick Steves European travel show.  I still have the same bag I bought for my first trip to Thailand in 2004 and it looks as good as new.) 

Same here. We have our own home here in Thailand , and all our things are here, So when we come we usually only bring with us the few things we can't find here in LOS.

The point that you make is one that is also made by other, Does Thailand have the capacity to  conduct the Thousands of PCR test that the program would require, Especially if it is successful in bringing in a lot of tourists as they hope it will.

The Arrival at the airport when we came was surprisingly easy and extremely efficient. They were very, very, organized,  We were in and out in less than 45 min, It was the fastest transit I ever had in BKK. 

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Good question, I'm waiting for same info.

Also brings up the question whether foreigners travelling from abroad to their permanent home in Thailand can do whatever test on arrival and then very quickly continue their travel to their home and do 24 hrs isolation at home?  

id doubt that as the test and hotel seem a last grab for cash imo before they drain the well bone dry

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Also brings up the question whether foreigners travelling from abroad to their permanent home in Thailand can do whatever test on arrival and then very quickly continue their travel to their home and do 24 hrs isolation at home?  

From what I have seen and read you will have to stay one night in a SHA+ hotel while waiting for your negative covid 19 PCR test.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any more information on the 1 night ASQ stay required for the "quarantine free" entry into Bangkok? 

My mum is visiting in January and is currently in the process of getting things booked,  can't seem to find much about it online and wasn't aware of it until I read this thread. I presume she would be taken to the hotel from the airport by officials and then free to go anywhere thereafter? 

3 minutes ago, Jaffacake said:

Does anyone have any more information on the 1 night ASQ stay required for the "quarantine free" entry into Bangkok? 

My mum is visiting in January and is currently in the process of getting things booked,  can't seem to find much about it online and wasn't aware of it until I read this thread. I presume she would be taken to the hotel from the airport by officials and then free to go anywhere thereafter? 

way too early to book anything now.

Even if she needs to do sandbox, she can book flights and sha+ hotel just a few days before departure. Max a week

In 3 months from now epidemiological situation in her country and in thailand is unpredictable. There might be winter waves in the northern hemisphere.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

From what I have seen and read you will have to stay one night in a SHA+ hotel while waiting for your negative covid 19 PCR test.

Thanks Joe, agree this is what seems to be the situation.

Just hoping that if there's early reporting of the (neg) report then folks can immediately move on.

In fact it seems the aim is 1 test on arrival and no further tests (unless there's a +  result to the 'arrival' test'.

Therefore holding tourists/arrivals overnight would be seen by many as way too strong, unnecessary, very police state/inappropriate. 

Back to a situation where a traveler arrives at say breakfast time and swab done by say 8 - 9 am and neg. report received say mid afternoon or even mid evening the same day then tourists/travelers will be protesting loudly in regard to:

• - Having to go to a hotel and unnecessarily pay for 1 night at that hotel. (And the taxi costs of getting to the hotel).
  • - Having to unnecessarily delay the next step in their domestic travel to reach their holiday destination.

Not exactly a good way to achieve happy travelers who want to return for more holidays. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, internationalism said:

way too early to book anything now.

Even if she needs to do sandbox, she can book flights and sha+ hotel just a few days before departure. Max a week

In 3 months from now epidemiological situation in her country and in thailand is unpredictable. There might be winter waves in the northern hemisphere.

What's your understanding on whether the 'Thailand pass' will state a flight number/date? From what I can see so far there's no requirement for the traveler to submit this detail.

Does it mean the traveler will receive a 'permission to enter Thailand pass' but date flexible, but probably of course with an end date (maybe 30 days, 60 days after the pass is issued)? 

Edited by scorecard

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It will also work the other way as folks arrive at say 10 or 11pm, are tested and then the test does not get read until the afternoon or evening and a second day of SHA+ will have had to have been paid for as most hotels require you to leave by noon and at the latest 3pm, unless there are special conditions stated in the new quarantine protocols.

Further regarding the Covid 19 Health insurance, mentioned on the Thailand Pass' schematic. 

My situation is: 

Re Covid 19 health Insurance. I already took a policy which has the coverage needed for the previous COE.  

- Loss of life by Covid 19 equivalent to US$100,000-.

- Medical expenses (inpatient and outpatient) from Covid 19 equivalent to US$100,000-.

Because I have PR I must have the above but coverage just for a couple of months (not for the whole time in Thailand).

Premium was 2,880Baht.

This policy is available for folks up to 99 years old.

The policy came by e.mail with 3 documents:

1. Typical policy full of insurance jargon

2. Easy to read summary with all the details the embassy wanted to see for COE, and several signatures.

3. Receipt for payment.

I'm assuming (hoping / keeping my fingers crossed this policy will also suffice for the Thailand Pass.

Any comments as to my small paragraph immediately, and:

"- Loss of life by Covid 19 equivalent to US$100,000-.

- Medical expenses (inpatient and outpatient) from Covid 19 equivalent to US$100,000-.

above welcome."

Comments welcome/appreciated.

• Thanks 1

PCR in phuket sandbox takes 6h.

In Hua Hin they plan to do in 12h (probably they expect volume of incomers and longer waiting).

So probably for bangkok would be same as HH - 12h at ASQ.

Possibly there would be a chance of upgrading to faster results. In europe test can be done in 75 minutes (in frankfurt airport it's e279). So you can check in at the airport hotel for a few hours and travel onward. Possibly at check out they will charge per hour or half day.

If they set up laboratory within airport, they can do within few hours, but they can't promise it - depends on volume of travellers. Hence requirement for ASQ booking.

Personally for me the only issue is yearly insurance, which needs 14 days to validate. I am planning a trip to europe just for a few days, so I have to buy it before Nov 1st.

For travellers into thailand for a short stay and with the same clause 14 days they can also buy insurance now and cancel or postpone it, if they change their plans. I have seen such flexible insurance plans. 

Now they have posted another update on their website:

"When should you apply for Thailand Pass?

You should apply for the Thailand Pass 7 days before your arrival.

How long does Thailand Pass approval take?

The MF has mentioned that it will take 1-3 days for approval."

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I'm assuming (hoping / keeping my fingers crossed this policy will also suffice for the Thailand Pass.

Any comments as to my small paragraph immediately, and:

"- Loss of life by Covid 19 equivalent to US$100,000-.

above welcome."

There will not be much difference between a COE application and the Thailand Pass thing.

I am certain their will no difference for the insurance requirements that you clearly meet with the insurance you have now.

56 minutes ago, internationalism said:

In Hua Hin they plan to do in 12h (probably they expect volume of incomers and longer waiting).

Possibly there would be a chance of upgrading to faster results. In europe test can be done in 75 minutes (in frankfurt airport it's e279). So you can check in at the airport hotel for a few hours and travel onward. Possibly at check out they will charge per hour or half day.

If they set up laboratory within airport, they can do within few hours, but they can't promise it - depends on volume of travellers. Hence requirement for ASQ booking.

Personally for me the only issue is yearly insurance, which needs 14 days to validate. I am planning a trip to europe just for a few days, so I have to buy it before Nov 1st.

For travellers into thailand for a short stay and with the same clause 14 days they can also buy insurance now and cancel or postpone it, if they change their plans. I have seen such flexible insurance plans. 

You seem to be pretty familiar with the Thailand pass, good news!

On the schematic that's appeared several times I can't see where the applicant submits flight details (arrival date/time/airline/flight no.).

Does this perhaps mean that the 'Thailand pass' is good for a period of time, perhaps 30, 60 days?

Would you please share your thoughts on this.

on the other hand of course maybe it's still too early for all the details/answers.

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

Regarding test at departing airport, there's a professional walk-in accredited lab set up on the departures level inside Sydney airport, 5 minutes or less walk to the departure rows.

Cannot book test, just walk-in.

Opens at 6:00 am, swab taken within 5 minutes, report guaranteed within 60 minutes.

Passenger can select to receive the report by SMS/e.mail/phone/printed hard copy at the lab. Lab also negotiating to send report direct to the departure airline if passenger requests.

Cost AUD$100- can be paid by credit/debit/cash.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Regarding test at departing airport, there's a professional walk-in accredited lab set up on the departures level inside Sydney airport, 5 minutes or less walk to the departure rows.

Cannot book test, just walk-in.

Opens at 6:00 am, swab taken within 5 minutes, report guaranteed within 60 minutes.

Passenger can select to receive the report by SMS/e.mail/phone/printed hard copy at the lab. Lab also negotiating to send report direct to the departure airline if passenger requests.

Cost AUD$100- can be paid by credit/debit/cash.

Would be nice if you could do that at Suvarnabhumi here in BKK as a departing passenger.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:
9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Can you name them and describe how their rules are easier.

I am on the French Riviera now, no visa needed as I am a EU citizen, no Corvid test needed, only thing you had to show was a vaccination proof when you boarded the plane, alcohol available in restaurants, no outside facemask rule, no curfew, same for most of the other European countries now. 

Thanks for that.

The back-end of summer in the UK has seen a return to boom times for the hospitality business as the far more sensible people decided ages ago that a vacation at home was by far the safest option, especially after the 'traffic light' fiasco at the start of summer. Are the French staying home too? Germans?

There's a lot of noise herein about Thailand's entry rules being not fit for purpose. The reality is that beyond a few non-tourist returnees and the more adventurous newbie, nobody is really too bothered about what ANY country beyond a 5-hour flight is doing and taking a winter break there.

• Like 1