Update on thailand pass and thailand no quarantine

good day.

i am from germany and do have a covid 19 pass (Moderna) + an expat health insurance covering covid 19 with no limits.

my flight leaves Hamburg on november, 2nd.

i want to come in on a "Visa exemption". (and convert to non o/a inside the country)

Wondering if i will make it, if the website based Thai pass will only go online on november, 1st.

what is your advice?

thanks, Wolfgang

32 minutes ago, Wolfgang Matthias Ahrens said:

Wondering if i will make it, if the website based Thai pass will only go online on november, 1st.

what is your advice?

Every time they have made changes, nothing has been clear until one or two days before the changes, sometimes not until the day of the changes. I wouldn't count on things being in place in time for you.

I am leaving Denmark November 1st, and I have applied for the first part in the COE process. I will wait with the second part till early next week in case they for once get their act together, but I guess I will end up having to get the COE and pay for a hotel for 7 days.

if you have already booked flight in 2nd november try to do coe. It's complicated, but you have time.

Book fully refundable hotel in phuket. They start already from 2800b per week, double room.

Booked pcr tests are also refundable - minus 5% operational costs.

As soon as thailandpass is available - can be any day, not necessarily 1st november - do it and enter on free quarantine. Germany will be on this list for sure. 

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

Book fully refundable hotel in phuket.

Where do you find those? The ones I found only offers fully refundable if cancelled a week or earlier before arrival date; however, that is too early in this case as we may not know anything about the new rules until a few days before November 1st.

I have written to three hotels to hear if they will pay back anything if the requirement is changed from 7 days to 1 day; none of them have replied yet.

46 minutes ago, internationalism said:

check agoda, I think you can cancel just day before, as with the majority of hotels.

I did check agoda; none of the ones I looked at allowed cancellation later than a week before arrival. So, yes, it seems the way to go is to find the cheapest and then hope for the best.

On 10/18/2021 at 8:56 AM, internationalism said:

"The “Thailand Pass” system aims to facilitate entry into Thailand by shortening the process for filing information and uploading travelers’ documents. Thailand Pass will require travelers to fill in the T8 Form Health Questionnaire and the TM6 Immigration Form, as well as to upload a vaccine certificate. The Department of Disease Control (DDC) will then be responsible for verifying vaccine certificates and giving an approval through the back-office system within 1-3 days after registration.

Travelers can then download the Thailand Pass QR Code immediately after receiving the approval. They will be asked to show this QR code along with a Covid-19 negative test result issued no more than 72 hours before departure. No other documents are required and you do not have to fill in another T8 and TM6 form after arriving in Thailand, as the DDC will be able to examine your health information from scanning the Thailand Pass QR code."

https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/posts/4726655164024527

Add travelers: will be required to take an additional PCR test upon arrival in Thailand, then stay in a SHA pre booked hotel until and assuming the PCR test is negative.   The SHA pre booking is required to be shown as part of the Thailand Pass submittal.

Arrivals must arrive at times consistent with the curfew hours. 

Not clear how, when, and where a traveler will pay for that PCR test on arrival.  I heard one post say they will try to keep the cost down to 1600 baht.  And of course all the Insurance stuff is still required?   There were rumors the amount of coverage required might be lowered, but I would not hold one's breath

• Like 1

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

if you have already booked flight in 2nd november try to do coe. It's complicated, but you have time.

Book fully refundable hotel in phuket. They start already from 2800b per week, double room.

Booked pcr tests are also refundable - minus 5% operational costs.

As soon as thailandpass is available - can be any day, not necessarily 1st november - do it and enter on free quarantine. Germany will be on this list for sure. 

Booked PCR tests? Is that something new? When I went to Thailand in April, only tests I got were during my ASQ, and it was included in the package. 

Just now, Travis179 said:

Ah OK, I thought that was the case. Thanks for the quick response.

No worries, the main question is from 1 November, how will the single CPR test be handled (one of many questions we await the answer too with bated breath!).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Salerno said:

No worries, the main question is from 1 November, how will the single CPR test be handled (one of many questions we await the answer too with bated breath!).

Yes, I'm very curious myself. I was going to book a flight for next week. But with these recent developments, I've been hesitant. 

2 minutes ago, Travis179 said:

Yes, I'm very curious myself. I was going to book a flight for next week. But with these recent developments, I've been hesitant. 

You "might" still be able to given its now 20 October:

"General Supot Malaniyom from the CCSA’s operations center revealed today to the press that the details of the plan to open the country to fully vaccinated tourists without mandatory quarantine, according to the Prime Minister’s policy, will be announced at a major CCSA meeting within 1-2 days from today, October 18th, 2021."

Then again ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

You "might" still be able to given its now 20 October:

"General Supot Malaniyom from the CCSA’s operations center revealed today to the press that the details of the plan to open the country to fully vaccinated tourists without mandatory quarantine, according to the Prime Minister’s policy, will be announced at a major CCSA meeting within 1-2 days from today, October 18th, 2021."

Then again ...

The question is: will the details from the CCSA meeting remain unchanged as various special interests press for changes?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The question is: will the details from the CCSA meeting remain unchanged as various special interests press for changes?

Yes/no/maybe/definitely/probably. No doubt the usual cluster but it wouldn't be Thailand otherwise ????

From a selfish point of view, I believe it's at least moving in the right direction. From a health point of view, not so convinced. Time will tell.

• Like 2

Hmmm.... They want hotel bookings. For how long? Hopefully only one night. Otherwise, there is the risk factor of potentially losing the money that is put into the hotels in the event that something happens, especially if they insist of paid bookings over cancellable reservations. In addition, unless the bookings are cancellable without penalty, there goes any spontaneity for you trip unless you want to eat the bookings.

I bet these xenophobes will want to know where every tourist is as closely as possible, so they will insist on the entire trip being booked up front. I am not a typical tourist - might want to pick up and go someplace that is a bit obscure... Udon for example!! It would suck if it all had to be mapped out up front.

I wonder if Agoda, which did offer the possibility of refunds on cancelled reservations will do that again. 

• Like 2

On 10/19/2021 at 1:39 AM, gejohesch said:

Thanks. That sounds better than what it was early this year. Indeed, that includes a direct and specific reference to COVID and that's what the Thai authorities want to see.

I don't know what you were looking at, if it was the website that may well be different.

You have to request a personalised certificate from Emirates for the COE, and you can only get that against a ticket.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, internationalism said:

check agoda, I think you can cancel just day before, as with the majority of hotels.

You can't cancel if you have used the booking to obtain approval to enter on the back of it.

You could probably show the original booking to the airline but unless the procedure changes it will come to light when you try and enter the country.

this publication, khaosod english, did not give their source

"Travelers from 46 countries will not be required to quarantine upon entry in Thailand starting Nov. 1, the government announced Thursday night..

The low-risk countries and territories are: Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bhutan, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, and Hong Kong."

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish/posts/4813209582031269

• Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 8:42 PM, DHut said:

What about those who are scheduled to arrive on 1 November? Do they still use COE?

This is what i'm wondering. Family member is set to arrive Nov07 and they rejected COE application already with reason: "Register on thailandpass.go.th starting Nov01"....Lunatics don't think anything through, everything done with as little forethought or planning as humanly possible. 

On 10/19/2021 at 10:30 PM, farang51 said:

I did check agoda; none of the ones I looked at allowed cancellation later than a week before arrival. So, yes, it seems the way to go is to find the cheapest and then hope for the best.

Booking.com allows cancellation 1 day or 2 days before arrival. I just booked SHA in phuket sandbox before this announcement

3 hours ago, MangoPineappleBanana said:

Booking.com allows cancellation 1 day or 2 days before arrival. I just booked SHA in phuket sandbox before this announcement

And you got it as refundable? I just checked the hotel near my apartment and in the question section, they clearly state that if the booking is used as a sandbox booking a refundable booking is changed to a non-refundable booking.

All official and gazetted according to TAT news

Thai Prime Minister, General Prayut Chan-o-cha, signed the entry guidelines for the quarantine-free reopening, published in the Royal Thai Government Gazette last night (21 October 2021) along with two other announcements on relaxed COVID-19 controls in 17 Thai destinations.

Very clear and specific details in the news link

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/10/quarantine-free-thailand-reopening-for-vaccinated-tourists-from-1-november-2021/

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 11:59 AM, farang51 said:

I am leaving Denmark November 1st, and I have applied for the first part in the COE process. I will wait with the second part till early next week in case they for once get their act together, but I guess I will end up having to get the COE and pay for a hotel for 7 days.

you arrive 2nd November and should be clear you need only 1 night