Are you afraid of dying?

connda

Are you afraid of dying?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I should imagine that the rate for the average poster on this site is a fair bit higher given age, weight, overall health, diet, how much they drink etc. Then there's those that have long term effects. 

yesah but he was  saying deaths and its 2%

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Back on topic - Am I afraid of dying ?

Not at all, but I don’t want to die, I want to avoid it and I don’t welcome death. But, death does not frighten me. 

I also have a fairly high ‘risk’ profile, ride a motorcycle (not stupidly or dangerously), I’ve sky-dived, Bungee jumped etc and that didn’t phase or frighten me in the slightest. 

I’ve had a ‘near death’ experience and I recall my last thoughts were along the lines of ‘oh well, I’ve had a good life and I’ve been one of the lucky ones’....  Less traumatic than I figured although I was in a painless situation when I collapsed with a Pulmonary Embolism. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

world cases  246 million probably as many undiagnosed with no symptoms , covid  deaths 5  million , you do the maths, ok I make it 2% as near as, do you concur a 2 %  death rate if I get it?

I  like these sites  giving you odds 

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/preventable-death-overview/odds-of-dying/

Applying ideals of improbable absolutes, one is more likely to parish from a vehicle accident or cancer [or anything else for that matter] than from the dreaded Covid. 

We tend to easily give in to overreacted sensationalism - regarding most everything.

The old adage holds true: if something is repeated often and loud enough, all becomes true and real. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Threatening pub-violence on an anonymous forum - how interesting the cerebrally challenged mind is. 

Ohh dear I'm kinda ( slightly) regretting agreeing with him?  now  though still stand by what I said.

3 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Ill be  happy  i got through a life without being forced to shoot  maim or  kill other  people. As for the  rebirth rubbish, the only way Ill exsit later is if my atoms  create something else, anything  else is  just drivel

Well matter apparently can't be destroyed nor created so some of those atoms will be hanging around. ????

3 minutes ago, starky said:

Well matter apparently can't be destroyed nor created so some of those atoms will be hanging around. ????

scientists  created  matter from light I believe quite recently

https://www.universetoday.com/152181/matter-from-light-physicists-create-matter-and-antimatter-by-colliding-just-photons/

Albert Einstein's famous E=mc2 equation says that if you smash two sufficiently energetic photons, or light particles, into each other, you should be able to create matter in the form of an electron and its antimatter opposite, a positron.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

6 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

scientists  created  matter from light I believe quite recently

https://www.universetoday.com/152181/matter-from-light-physicists-create-matter-and-antimatter-by-colliding-just-photons/

Albert Einstein's famous E=mc2 equation says that if you smash two sufficiently energetic photons, or light particles, into each other, you should be able to create matter in the form of an electron and its antimatter opposite, a positron.

Ill run with the first law, and it's a law not a theory of physics in regards to thermodynamics . They teach it in primary

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/article/conservation-matter-during-physical-and-chemical-changes/6th-grade/

turns out that in Einstein’s theory of general relativity, regions of space with positive energy actually push space outward. As space expands, it releases stored up gravitational potential energy, which converts into the intrinsic energy that fills the newly created volume. So even the expansion of the universe is controlled by the law of energy conservation.

Edited by starky

• 2 months later...

Something has been scaring me lately.

I really do think that once you cease to exist, chances are you will exist again. Not necessarily a reincarnation, more like waking up somewhere, another universe, another dimension. 

Imagine the endless suffering you will have to endure, being either some kind of animal, plant, an intelligent being on another brutal planet or whatever. Maybe even being born in some kind of matrix. Perhaps this really is hell.

Edited by Pravda

Just hope i die quickly,i have had an amazing life,to be honest some of it i can hardly believe i actually did it.

Now after quite a few wives and relationships i am married to " the one" as my 3rd wife called her,and its been 25 yrs ,lets hope i have a few more good years.

• Like 1

I'm not afraid of dying, but I have nightmares about being pronounced dead and interred in a coffin whilst still alive.

I have read at least twice about this happening to people here in Thailand.

So, I've instructed my wife to tie plastic bags around my head before my coffin is nailed down, and to make sure I'm cremated asap.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:11 AM, CharlieH said:

If you think about we die every night, hence the expression "dead to the world" only difference is whetherr you wake up in the morning.????

I hope I dont drag on, watching the body fall apart, ever increasing restrictions and possibility of losing functions and mental capacity, possibly a burden to others.. That to me and I think most people would be the nightmare.

My Dad died at 94 in his sleep, great way to go but I really dont want to go on that long.

It is likely that, barring disaster, you will live longer than your parents. My parents lived longer than their parents, and were healthier longer.

23 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

It is likely that, barring disaster, you will live longer than your parents. My parents lived longer than their parents, and were healthier longer.

I don't know if I will, but I certainly hope not. My father was a wealthy man that could afford the best old age care, but didn't leave much to me to do the same, and my mother was aged in a time when old people were treated well by the state, which no longer applies, IMO.

The thought of being consigned to one of the understaffed "rest homes" where the poor are sent to wait for death is not a happy prospect, and best avoided.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Reading the daily news, and some forum replies, and I tend to be welcoming death more and more everyday ... ????????????????

Agree. Perhaps it's the overwhelming sense of doom that is thrust into our faces every time I watch tv news ( why do I need to know that 30 people died in a bus crash in South America when I don't even live there? ), or perhaps it's the obsession over greed and appearance, while ignoring the petty crime that blights our society.

Whatever the reason, I just have no hope of a better life to come if we all work hard and live good lives. Seems to me like the bad people are winning.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Not me!  I want to hang around and see how this whole s___show turns out.

For a basic idea, just watch any of these:

V for Vendetta

Equilibrium

Fahrenheit 451

Children of Men

Land of the Dead (2005) ????

UP the REVOLUTION

Edited by KhunLA

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree. Perhaps it's the overwhelming sense of doom that is thrust into our faces every time I watch tv news ( why do I need to know that 30 people died in a bus crash in South America when I don't even live there? ), or perhaps it's the obsession over greed and appearance, while ignoring the petty crime that blights our society.

Whatever the reason, I just have no hope of a better life to come if we all work hard and live good lives. Seems to me like the bad people are winning.

I haven't watched any news since 2009 when I left the UK.

As for 'bad people winning', the bad people have always won (on big and little scales).

Barbarians sacked Rome, Mongol Hordes overran Europe, etc.

I'm just happy I had 10 years of wild sexual adventures in Thailand.

Most of my pals back in the UK got nothing, not even from their wives.

Even now in my mid-60s, I'm getting more than most Brit guys in their 30s.

(And with better looking women) 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Barbarians sacked Rome,

Just to be pedantic, i don't think Rome was sacked. From what I read, the Romans couldn't recruit enough soldiers to guard it, and the mercenaries they hired decided to take it over. Bit like putting the fox in charge of the hen house.

Similarities to today, as I doubt many of the youths I see around would make good soldiers. Perhaps a certain militaristic country will win without a fight.