Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

11 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

I grew up on a small Greek island and know very little about the British car industry. I would however be interested to know why a sports car often observed at our mainland shows was taken off the road because of safety issues. 

Link to the detail would be appreciated.

I'm sorry I don't have a link, this was in the 1960s and I was quite young. An MGC looked like an MGB but had a huge bump in the bonnet to accommodate a significantly more powerful engine. Apparently the engine was too powerful for the car and the thing went like a rocket, but it was rear wheel drive and didn't hold the road well. They stopped selling them in the early 60s but there were a few around. As chance would have it, a neighbour of mine had one (in the US in 1980s). I tried to buy it off him, but he wouldn't sell. My MGB in the US had an 1800 cc engine and it felt very fast for such a small car, particularly as you were so close to the ground. For me it was just a hobby to fix it up and drive with the top down in the summer months. It's funny when I was still a kid I could strip and engine down, replace the pistons, big ends and so forth, now I look under the bonnet and don't know what anything is any more. Progress, I suppose. All electric cars will need to go back to the dealerships for servicing, but I still pine for the days when I used to gap the spark plugs and points and bleed the brakes. Good times. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

1. it is.

2. MG went bust... so was sold, Why ?

3. MG is still making real cars.

4. Yeah "since 1924" should actually be "designed, Styled and engineered in Britain since 1924".

Or "since 1924" same same !!

Yeh, are you a Brit...............?  :whistling:

But, says the bloke that buys "off the shelf" cars...........????

3 hours ago, retarius said:

I had for a long time in the US an MGB roadster, my wife bought it for me one Father's Day because I had always wanted one when we were young and poor. It was in original condition and had only one owner who had documented every tank of petrol that it consumed and all the servicing. I got in in 1990 and ket it for 16 years 146000 miles. But it really was a piece of crap, dreadful to drive, awful suspension and steering, bouncing all over the bad roads. 

Now I see an MG showroom opening up not far from me. The cars are beautifully styled, I must say, lots of kerbside appeal. I have never driven one and no idea what the quality is like, except the reviews on quality are generally very favourable. They seem to have taken our area by storm. 

On the quality issue, in Britain in the 70s, Datsun was a by word for lousy quality, and Honda bikes were known as 'rice burners' by the Norton and Triumph riding guys. Now Japanese bikes are supreme and Norton and Triumph have gone out of business, and Japanese cars are best in the world bar none. Lexus outperforms Merc and BMW on every dimension. The message here is that if Chinese cars are poor quality now, they won't be in a decade or so, so watch out.

I had a 1964 (3 main bearing) MGB Roadster, you are talking nonsense or should not be driving a sports car of that era............????

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, transam said:

Yeh, are you a Brit...............?  :whistling:

But, says the bloke that buys "off the shelf" cars...........????

Nope, not a brit, I enjoy showering daily.... with soap.

And yeah I buy "off the shelf" cars just like everyone else.... unless they have the means to build one from scratch which some people do but thats a huge task and hats off to them.

Edited by Ralf001

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Nope, not a brit, I enjoy showering daily.... with soap.

And yeah I buy "off the shelf cars" just like everyone else.... unless they have the means to build one from scratch which some people do but thats a huge task and hats off to them.

Thought so, but am glad you told us you shower, perhaps someone pointed something out to you..................????

Biding my time to put a few questions to you, with photos, after you stated here, my fun car was a "bought off the shelf" creation.....I have not forgotten...????...Stay tuned,  Ralphy....????

Since being here, I've hooked up with, and had a brief fling with another Chinese girl. First one was extremely polite and even brought me small gifts from her trip back to China. Spoke perfect English. She had HUGE knockers.

Second one was a sexy, lithe girl with porcelain white skin and a great butt. Also very polite, we kept in touch for a while after she went back home to China.

I rate both of these ladies as Quality products from China. Not so sure about the cars though!

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

I hooked up with, and had a fling with another Chinese girl before. First one was extremely polite and even brought me small gifts from her trip back to China. Spoke perfect English. She had HUGE knockers.

Second one was a sexy, lithe, girl with porcelain white skin and a great butt. Also very polite, we kept in touch for a while after she went back home to China.

I rate both of these ladies as Quality products from China. Not so sure about the cars though!

They both worked for MG...?  ????

Just now, transam said:

Thought so, but am glad you told us you shower, perhaps someone pointed something out to you..................????

Biding my time to put a few questions to you, with photos, after you stated here, my fun car was a "bought off the shelf" creation.....I have not forgotten...????...Stay tuned,  Ralphy....????

Never said you <deleted>box was bought "off the shelf"... just all that garish shiney crap from China you nailed onto it.

but as I thought.... you have selective read what you want to read.

Run along old chap... its a new month, you shower is calling you, dont forget the soap.

Hmm my post too much... I expect you will cry to your mod friends and get me a holiday again.. you need a name change to Mr Untouchable.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Never said you <deleted>box was bought "off the shelf"... just all that garish shiney crap from China you nailed onto it.

but as I thought.... you have selective read what you want to read.

Run along old chap... its a new month, you shower is calling you, dont forget the soap.

Hmm my post too much... I expect you will cry to your mod friends and get me a holiday again.. you need a name change to Mr Untouchable.

Keep in touch here, and please find a few pics of my fun ride, so you can "try" and be prepared.............????

You shower and soap phobia is noted, keep up your cleansed route, chummy. :clap2: 

Your last paragraph is as phobic as your showers.....????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/1/2023 at 5:19 PM, KhunLA said:

What's wrong with the Mechanical Greatness badge ????

Nowt wrong with a Mechanical Greatness badge.

Not sure why a plastic rickshaw emblem though or is to make people believe the car has Japanese origins ?

• Haha 1

Nowt wrong with a Mechanical Greatness badge.

Not sure why a plastic rickshaw emblem though or is to make people believe the car has Japanese origins ?

I guess the Celerio should have a turtle as a badge, along with other ICEV that can't manage to keep up with EVs ... ????

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 7:52 PM, leba said:

I still laugh at both !

Tell me a car better/faster/cheaper than a https://www.nissan.co.th/vehicles/new-vehicles/new-gt-r.html tell me the non-Japanese car make/model that laughs at it? Come to think of it, for big bikes the only competitor is Ducati. You think they are better? 

"Harley Davidson turning Horse Power into noise since 1903"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Datsun 1200 said:

Tell me a car better/faster/cheaper than a https://www.nissan.co.th/vehicles/new-vehicles/new-gt-r.html tell me the non-Japanese car make/model that laughs at it? Come to think of it, for big bikes the only competitor is Ducati. You think they are better? 

"Harley Davidson turning Horse Power into noise since 1903"

Starting @ $121k, ???? more than my house & car, all in.   How about something someone will actually buy.

Will pass most other ICEV, but trouble passing petrol stations ????  A whole 4.8 kms per L, Range 342 kms ????

Gears ... ???? , that's a shame.

0-60 mph 2.9 sec

image.png.c1ae46dfdeea7d67f15d6e7651678def.png

Or, you could surrender 0.2 sec, and get his & her Tesla 3 Performance model, and have over 10k change, without the rebates.

Or, something practical, big ol' heavy truck, and buy the Mrs a different Model 3.

"The Rivian R1S is a big heavy truck, but it can still sprint to 60 mph in 3 seconds and cost around $78,000. Then again it all comes down to price and your personal tastes of course—because there’s basically no difference in the 0-60 times between the Rivian and the Tesla.

The cheapest, yet fastest EV for the money, will jump from 0 to 60 mph in 3.1 seconds is the Model 3 Perf. starting at $53,990, especially when you factor in the $7500 federal tax credit plus other local rebates."

source

If 0-60 is all you care about, and not even new versions, as I can't be bothered:

image.png.75e22d0c8050df0eeaba51f032163da3.png

Edited by KhunLA

• 6 months later...

SAIC's ICEV division might be taking a big hit, layoffs (firings) due to poor sales of, and move more toward making EVs.   GM & VW, accounting for a huge part of that: