Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

17 minutes ago, petermik said:

yep same old same old from trans...:angry:

But did I write a fact.........?

Now come on chaps, you cannot dismiss the fact forever....

If the Chinese ride was called Chow Mein Cars, you wouldn't hear a peep from me, except the Chow Mein ZS is an uncomfortable ride.......????

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, KhunLA said:
29 minutes ago, transam said:

Weeell, I think many are now looking for a cheap ride, and Bingo, buy a Brit brand name, stick a Union Jack on the back, quote "Performance since 1924" to do it................

Yep, it worked, a zillion proud owners of a British MG Car......:cheesy:

Broken Record GIFs | Tenor

You're defensive because you own an MG... But Brit is not wrong... 

The Chinese took MG and marketed its heritage - it worked. 

Why are you not driving a Haval or Atto ???

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/18/2021 at 6:45 PM, London Lowf said:

In the sixties some people laughed at Japanese motorbikes, and then in the seventies Japanese cars.

China is taking over as the manufacturing hub of the world and there is nothing to stop it as, at the end of the day, people want cheap stuff - and it's not necessarily poor quality.

And they laughed at Korean cars like Hyunda and Kia. Not so much now.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, matchar said:

How much lower will they go on the MG4? It already seems like a bargain with the 3 years free insurance promotion.

https://www.mgcars.com/en/Promotion/Detail/new-mg4-electric

That's a pretty good deal but I guess you have to finance to get it.

I'm looking at paying cash and getting at least 10% off, 1 year insurance + free tint all windows. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Part of 'globalization', and been that way for decades, so you might as well start to warm up to it.

Best thing that happened to MG Motors, SAIC took over, and now a good value product that actually makes a profit.  Every new model seems to be winning a 'Best Car of Year' award somewhere.

Why pick on MG, when CH makes cars for most manufacturers.

SAIC alone (one of the Big Four in CH) produces 19 models of VW already. Along with 3 Audis & 12 Skodas models @ 6 different facilities in CH.

READ the topic HEADING, Mr. MG................????

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why are you not driving a Haval or Atto ???

2 reasons, weren't available, so moot subject, and Atto & OGC both very new models, and I don't do new models.   Give them time to work the kinks out.

Even after available, I'd still would have gotten the MG ZS or EP, as better specs & value IMHO  Definitely more bang for baht. 

Buying an MG was a tough decision for me, until I test drove it, and did a bit more research.   As I don't know anyone that had a high opinion of them in the past.  Not a good track record with the need for constant repair (USA models).   

They did go belly up, for whatever reasons, and surely the product was part of it.

As far as the price itself, I can afford any reasonably priced car in TH.  That it was priced right, is just a plus.

Edited by KhunLA

13 minutes ago, transam said:

READ the topic HEADING, Mr. MG................????

Yea, it does say 'Chinese cars', so you may want to reread it yourself.

Along with this in the text of OP:

but then they buy chinese cars when EU cars or even Japanese are so much better 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

2 reasons, weren't available, so moot subject, and Atto & OGC both very new models, and I don't do new models.   Give them time to work the kinks out.

Even after the fact, I'd still would have got the MG ZS or EP, as better specs & value IMHO  Definitely more bang for baht. 

Buying an MG was a tough decision for me, until I test drove it, and did a bit more research.   As I don't know anyone that had a high opinion of them in the past.  Not a good track record with the need for constant repair (USA models).   

They did go belly up, for whatever reasons, and surely the product was part of it.

As far as the price itself, I can afford any reasonably priced car in TH.  That it was priced right, is just a plus.

British Leyland went belly up, which took all the brand names they bought with it.

The Chinese were very happy buying MG "Performance since 1924", that is what they are selling their cheap ride with, together with the Union Jack on the back.

Am I wrong.....?    ????

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Yea, it does say 'Chinese cars', so you may want to reread it yourself.

Along with this in the text of OP:

but then they buy chinese cars when EU cars or even Japanese are so much better 

Oh, you missed the MG bit, what a surprise..................????

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

"Performance since 1924", that is what they are selling their cheap ride with, together with the Union Jack on the back.

Am I wrong.....?    ????

I think you meant their 'quality built, inexpensive value for your money, family car'

Give a rest .... take a hint.  We tire of that broken record of yours.

Pick another tune ... ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just now, KhunLA said:

I think you meant their 'quality built, inexpensive value for your money, family car'

Give a rest .... take a hint.  We tire of the broken of that broken record of yours.

Pick another tune ... ????

Why should I stop posting, your "give it a rest", just because you haven't got the answers................:huh:

• Confused 2

People laughed at the early Japanese cars. The first one in my street was all chrome (yuck). Now their cars are number one for reliability. It was inevitable that China would catch up.

Edited by Purdey
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Why should I stop posting, your "give it a rest", just because you haven't got the answers................:huh:

Nobody suggest to stop posting, just change the tune.

Answer:  MG is a much better, reliable car now, and a great value.  They can't make them fast enough.

26 minutes ago, transam said:

because you haven't got the answers................:huh:

Yes, I bought an MG

do you really need to ask why

MG Motor Named 'Carmaker Of The Year' 2022

UK:

Car of the Year 2022! MG ZS EV wins top award

The MG4 EV is crowned 'UK Car of the Year 2023'

AU:

MG ZS range claims Drive Best Overall Value Car 

NZ:

MG HS Plus EV Wins Best Car of the Year 2021

Sweden:

MG ZS EV voted 'Car of the Year 2022' by leading car

UAE:

MG HS named Middle East 'Car of the Year' for 2020

MG ZS EV voted 'Family Car of the Year 2021' by Flemish (?)

"MG bags four awards, securing its place as the leader in automotive innovation and technology"

01 Jun 2022:

eec12915b85d72198779df31971fc7bf.jpeg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Answer:  MG is a much better, reliable car now, and a great value.  They can't make them fast enough.

This article indicates surplus stock hence price reductions

In May, a large single shipment of 3,100 MG cars came to Australia, including the long range electric version. The price cuts may have something to do with surplus stock. But it’s good to see savings on EVs being passed onto those looking at making the switch. 

https://thedriven.io/2023/07/13/mg-slashes-price-of-long-range-version-of-zs-ev-as-electric-car-price-war-intensifies/

https://cnevpost.com/2023/07/13/saic-mg-cuts-mg-mulan-price-by-17-china/

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Today's MG cars are Chinese, nothing to do with the British MG cars, reliability, build and technology of yesteryear....????

You are an American making excuses because you bought a Chinese car with a dodgy name...:unsure:

Now you tell me, why they didn't use a Chinese name, after all, you are the no.1 performance since 1924 British MG basher, and why didn't you buy a Chery, which far outperforms your gas ZS.....:whistling:

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

So why not a Chinese name, is it because it wouldn't sell...........????

• Confused 2

41 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Even after available, I'd still would have gotten the MG ZS or EP, as better specs & value IMHO  Definitely more bang for baht. 

Fair enough.. that makes sense.

I never imagined I'd be driving a Mazda...  until I drove a Mazda, the quality surprised me. 

Wife's Cousin went from a a Honda to an MG, primarily attracted by the price - they weren't happy with the quality of MG at all and got rid of it fairly quickly - that has kind of put me off although I've never even sat in one. 

I sat in a friends Haval the other day and was quite surprised at the quality - yet I still wouldn't want one.

It's difficult to remain open minded... and I'd be very reluctant to purchase a Chinese car because I my prejudice against Chinese manufacturing.... That said, I used to hold a similar prejudice over Kia but now wouldn't think twice. 

Personally, there are a number of car brands I would not consider for myself, the reasons are manly down to personal prejudice than any actual in depth knowledge. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wife's Cousin went from a a Honda to an MG, primarily attracted by the price - they weren't happy with the quality of MG at all and got rid of it fairly quickly - that has kind of put me off although I've never even sat in one. 

Understandable if an MG3, and that's one, 'you get what you pay for'.  Extreme entry level price & quality.

When the MG3s hit the market here, I cringed, thinking of their/MG's past repair record.  Thought to myself, hell no, I'd never own an MG.   

Did peak at them/MG3, and low quality, even for low price.  Then when looking 2020 for new ride, figured I'd peak again, see if improved, and not enough, besides, not exactly fitting in very comfortably with my back.

While there, peaked at the ZS (ICE), and priced the same as everything I was looking at.  Took it for a short test ride, and I was sold on it.

2 years later, not as ignorant about EVs, govt incentive, and the MG ZS EV upgrades for same 2020 price, and it was a no brainer for me, especially since we already had solar at the house.

Prior cars were; Vios (2), Mazda 2.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, Furioso said:

That's a pretty good deal but I guess you have to finance to get it.

I'm looking at paying cash and getting at least 10% off, 1 year insurance + free tint all windows. 

Cheers, let us know how it goes. 10% off is better than the 2 years insurance (worth around 40k).

• Thumbs Up 1

Was at my chums house last night, he has a 5 year old MG ZS. I remember pulling his leg when he bought it, I told him that MG has sod all to do with home, it's Chinese, he said, I know, but it's cheap for what you get. ????

Anyhooo, last night he said he was selling it.......:huh:

Oh, are you going to buy another MG....?

No...(Think he is fed up with rearranging his Mr.DIY car cushion).

Go electric...?

No, in Thailand, you're joking..........:huh:

I am thinking about a PHEV....:thumbsup:

Good idea.........:clap2:

I forgot to ask about brand.......????

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, transam said:

But did they buy British brand name to sell them, I don't know of any...?.....????

I was talking more about the quality and reliability, which in a lot of cases leaves some of the so-called prestige brands behind.

• Confused 1

On 10/18/2021 at 6:45 PM, London Lowf said:

In the sixties some people laughed at Japanese motorbikes, and then in the seventies Japanese cars.

China is taking over as the manufacturing hub of the world and there is nothing to stop it as, at the end of the day, people want cheap stuff - and it's not necessarily poor quality.

You are right. Maybe in 20 or so years Chines products will be top quality. Right now though they look good but the quality still isn't there yet.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Understandable if an MG3, and that's one, 'you get what you pay for'.  Extreme entry level price & quality.

When the MG3s hit the market here, I cringed, thinking of their/MG's past repair record.  Thought to myself, hell no, I'd never own an MG.   

Did peak at them/MG3, and low quality, even for low price.  Then when looking 2020 for new ride, figured I'd peak again, see if improved, and not enough, besides, not exactly fitting in very comfortably with my back.

While there, peaked at the ZS (ICE), and priced the same as everything I was looking at.  Took it for a short test ride, and I was sold on it.

2 years later, not as ignorant about EVs, govt incentive, and the MG ZS EV upgrades for same 2020 price, and it was a no brainer for me, especially since we already had solar at the house.

Prior cars were; Vios (2), Mazda 2.

It was an MG ZS if that makes any difference...  a few years ago too (probably 2018).

I saw it and really didn't think much of it at all, but really didn't it an in depth look over either. 

In a Mazda now, previous 2 cars here were BMW's - Mazda stacked up surprisingly close to the BMW's. I can't say for sure and its quite likely my negative bias (*prejudice against the quality of Chinese products), but I don't imagine MG can stack up anywhere close to BMW in terms of build quality etc.

Next car may well be a Kia Carnival / Volvo XC-60 or 90 / or Tesla Y... (really undecided to such a point that we're just going to keep the Mazda as it hasn't put a foot wrong). 

That said - you get what you pay for and you can buy 4x MG's for the similarly sized BMW, so what can we expect. 

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't imagine MG can stack up anywhere close to BMW in terms of build quality etc.

One would think not.  The ICE ZS was only 700k, and anything less than 1M (ZS EV), isn't going to have the fit & finish or ride of higher end cars.  EV performance vs ICEV is different subject, but also apples & oranges.

We got a GRAB at Krung Thep, and it was Fortuner, and a nice one at that, and no, the ZS (ICE) wasn't even close.  But also about 1/4 th the price, 700k vs 2.5M, so quite expected.

I'm a point A to B car person, and think 1M (ZS EV 950k) is silly price for 4 wheeled transport.  But it is what it is, if wanting something new & comfy enough to be in 3-4 hrs at a stretch.

In perspective, our main house was contracted at 1.1M, so 1M for something that depreciates ... ????????????