Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

18 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Guess I'm too poor to take a chance on an MG. I couldn't afford to replace it if I didn't like it. 

Off topic of course but the Haval is looking sharp.

If you can't afford an MG, you certainly can't afford a Haval H6.  MG's start <฿600k

You can buy 2 MGs, Extender/truck (฿549) & MG5 (฿585) for starting price of Havel H6 (฿1.249M).

Haval Jolion is about ฿900k

On topic, as they are Chinese.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Nobody buys a vehicle because they think it's British.  And nobody thinks MGs are British, unless living under that rock in a cave.

They do keep the 'design' office open in the UK, but as far as anyone knows, could just be warehouse now for paperwork ????

All companies have an HQ somewhere...

... globalization make the location a bit of a mute subject.

Anti MG & CH, ... and ... you drive a Celerio ????

Let that sink in ... 

So why buy the ancient British brand name................?  ????

I drive a Japanese designed car., not a Chinese smoke screen ride......:whistling:..........????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I sem to remember reading somewhere the engines are made in UK is that correct or did I imagine that?

As read google, not uk anymore engine made in China, assembly plants India, Thailand.

15 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I sem to remember reading somewhere the engines are made in UK is that correct or did I imagine that?

Don't think so, it would probably up the price, look where the boot badge is made, or the pack....????

MG Morris Garages Brit Dynamic Thailand Trunk Emblem | Lazada PH

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, transam said:

So why buy the ancient British brand name................?  ????

I drive a Japanese designed car., not a Chinese smoke screen ride......:whistling:..........????

Because the badge came with the car.  Could be call Mao's Buggy for all I care.  The day I'm impressed with the name or origin of a product, I'll stop shopping.

And your car ... you have my condolences ... ????  You may get there quicker than me, driving the speed limit, but I'll take the comfort & savings over sitting in that thing, for hours on end.  Plus I think I would need a roof rack.

24 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

How many times have you posted that image? What about German BMW doing the same?

It's just called marketing.

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 12.17.56.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 12.19.32.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 12.27.00.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 12.29.34.png

BMW bought the Rover group, primarily to put a mini badge on the BMW creation. That is another topic.........:clap2: 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Because the badge came with the car.  Could be call Mao's Buggy for all I care.  The day I'm impressed with the name or origin of a product, I'll stop shopping.

And your car ... you have my condolences ... ????  You may get there quicker than me, driving the speed limit, but I'll take the comfort & savings over sitting in that thing, for hours on end.  Plus I think I would need a roof rack.

Well I know that, you wanted cheap, now it is the greatest thing since sliced bread......????

You forget, I have been a passenger in my chums MG ZS, your last para is nonsense...........:clap2:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Guess I'm too poor to take a chance on an MG. I couldn't afford to replace it if I didn't like it. 

Off topic of course but the Haval is looking sharp.

just to go sideways for a sec, since it is a thread about Chinese cars.

the Haval do look sharp and solid. not bad for around a million. the problem with Haval and the Ora Cat is parts. my wife has friends who have had both of these GWM brands and they waited 6+ months for parts after fender benders (yes she knows a lot of bad drivers). the maintenance and service network isn't there yet.

MG seems to have an established and numerous dealer network. if they don't shut down, like my beloved Chevy (RIP), then they are a good choice.

half the auto show was Chinese cars and so many EVs. some of the new ones coming out are pretty interesting. the Chinese auto marketshare is growing fast.

#

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, sezze said:

Why ? Because the name is there already . You do not need the marketing for a new name , the name got history , even if it is not yours (same like other brands do , there are now only a few big players and they got dozens of brands) . Even in the beginning after the takeover they just made the same cars as they did before , but now under Chinese flag . You buy the name , the designs , the know how , well basically you did buy a carbrand from scratch . Making the same some that scratch takes whole lot more effort and with that money . There is a risk involved , which is , the company failed in the 1st place , so you buy a bankrupt brand . But for the Asian market it didnt matter , so good gamble on them i'd say .

????..."You do not need to market a new name", you just pay BMW a zillion quid for a British smoke screen instead..................????

PS. Morris didn't fail, BL failed....????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

We (wife) rented a MG ZS in Krabi whilst on holiday a couple of weeks ago.

Wasn't particularly looking forward to the experience tbh as we had some longish drives to do.

I was actually very pleasantly surprised, handling and road holding were actually pretty entertaining but in a good way; engine was nippy, braking spot on, and cabin was pretty quiet too.

We rented a Mitsu Expander last time and i found the MG slightly better in pretty much all aspects apart from headroom and fuel economy.

After running around in it for a week; I'd say they're not a bad vehicle at all and i now understand why some people feel comfortable buying them.

Wife has a HRV and it's (MG) really not that far behind in many ways, but not there quite yet.

To be fair this was low mileage so no idea what they're like after a few years.

I wouldn't buy one personally, but also wouldn't hesitate to rent one again.

PR3

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

My neighbor has a 2021 HS, he bought it for under 1 million baht. He has driven it all over Thailand and had zero problems. However, he does take outstanding care of it, very clean(spotless lol), premium petrol, and all maintenance done on time.

These MG's may not be as reliable as Honda or Toyota but for many it's really tough to pay their prices. I'm not big on the MG5 or ZS but I do like the VS and HS SUV's. The MG4 EV is highly rated and cheap here compared to the UK(5,000 pound less and you can talk them down even lower). 

Are there any other major car brands here in Thailand that will give you over 10% discounts? 

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Furioso said:

My neighbor has a 2021 HS, he bought it for under 1 million baht. He has driven it all over Thailand and had zero problems. However, he does take outstanding care of it, very clean(spotless lol), premium petrol, and all maintenance done on time.

These MG's may not be as reliable as Honda or Toyota but for many it's really tough to pay their prices. I'm not big on the MG5 or ZS but I do like the VS and HS SUV's. The MG4 EV is highly rated and cheap here compared to the UK(5,000 pound less and you can talk them down even lower). 

Are there any other major car brands here in Thailand that will give you over 10% discounts? 

How much lower will they go on the MG4? It already seems like a bargain with the 3 years free insurance promotion.

https://www.mgcars.com/en/Promotion/Detail/new-mg4-electric

4 minutes ago, matchar said:

How much lower will they go on the MG4? It already seems like a bargain with the 3 years free insurance promotion.

https://www.mgcars.com/en/Promotion/Detail/new-mg4-electric

Lower price isn't an MG thingy.  Priced right now, and as stated, a bargain.  3 yrs ins, 2 extra, so 40k value, nice.

Been pricing ins lately, as ours up in 2 months.  20k+/- seems to be going rate.  Can get lower payments, but lower coverage, higher deductible.

On 5/19/2023 at 12:52 PM, KhunLA said:

"China became the world’s largest vehicle exporter in Q1 2023, surpassing Japan"

https://carnewschina.com/2023/05/13/china-became-the-worlds-largest-vehicle-exporter-in-q1-2023-surpassing-japan/

Photo edited (not original):

348248141_3436948319914630_7076338091253734864_n.jpg

Weeell, I think many are now looking for a cheap ride, and Bingo, buy a Brit brand name, stick a Union Jack on the back, quote "Performance since 1924" to do it................

Yep, it worked, a zillion proud owners of a British MG Car......:cheesy:

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2