Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

50 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

The problem is that even the so-called top quality western brands, are getting crappy, And not only for cars,. For everything.

Gordon Gecko said "greed is good". I may say that "greed is universal" unfortunately.

So at the end of the day, might as well buy cheap crap then branded costly crap, IMHO.

Don't like the look of the mg truck but friends daughter like it and got a top of the range model so cheap compared to other trucks.

Its done a lot miles and only ever been serviced the Thai guy down the road as far as I know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

The problem is that even the so-called top quality western brands, are getting crappy, And not only for cars,. For everything.

Gordon Gecko said "greed is good". I may say that "greed is universal" unfortunately.

So at the end of the day, might as well buy cheap crap then branded costly crap, IMHO.

Makes me wonder..

..if you buy a Mercedes and sell it after 5 years are you going to lose more money than if you buy a MG and sell it after 5 years? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Furioso said:

Makes me wonder..

..if you buy a Mercedes and sell it after 5 years are you going to lose more money than if you buy a MG and sell it after 5 years? 

Obviously it will be proportionate to the brand, it's initial cost, regarding it's resale value.

But I may look at maintenance costs spent between the Merk and the MG. (that is if the cars were properly maintained ).

Another criteria could be if it's petrol or electric and what the service and maintenance could cost to the new owner ?

Things are in a transition now and could redifine resale criteria in the future depending on the motorisation of the car rather then the brand ? one just cannot say.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

Engineering in top brands does not get crappy, it evolves, but you do pay for that better engineering...........????

Edited by transam
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

Of course, all the top engineered european or US cars solely and only have 100% of their components Made in Europe or the US and of course absolutely no micro semiconductors  from Taiwan or China. ????..sure..sure..why not...

China makes everything for everyone, but, they're maybe making or assembling others designed stuff, big difference......

Isn't Apple stuff assembled in China...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My rough estimate is that if you buy Honda or Toyota you'll retain 75% after 5 years. MG maybe 60%. 

If these % are correct then you'll lose less money buying Honda or Toyota, but it's pretty close. 

23 minutes ago, transam said:

Drive an MG ZS, then get in the equivalent ride by Mercedes or BMW, the experience will be chalk and cheese.......

All down to better engineering, but you pay for it.........????

Why is someone confused with the obvious.................????

Don't tell me, your MG drives like a Merc................????

• Sad 4

25 minutes ago, Furioso said:

My rough estimate is that if you buy Honda or Toyota you'll retain 75% after 5 years. MG maybe 60%. 

If these % are correct then you'll lose less money buying Honda or Toyota, but it's pretty close. 

5% a year on any car, I'm finding hard to believe.  At least 10% the first year.  Granted T & H will hold value better than MG, but may cost 25% or more to buy.

T. Cross starts at 1.2M, the MG ZS 689k. (42% more)

Even though ZS has smaller engine, (1.5 vs 1.8) has more hp/torque.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

5% a year on any car, I'm finding hard to believe.  At least 10% the first year.  Granted T & H will hold value better than MG, but may cost 25% or more to buy.

The ZS 1.5 is a slug, the Chery 1.5 is more like it, has a turbo...Whoooosh..????

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Even at the %'s you list here it's very close.

What does work in MG's favor is:

1. You might really like the car, MG does give you a lot of extra stuff Toyota/Honda does not.

2. You can invest the 400k-500k you save by buying MG and possibly make out like a bandit. 

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, transam said:

China makes everything for everyone, but, they're maybe making or assembling others designed stuff, big difference......

Isn't Apple stuff assembled in China...

Practically everything now comes from China obvisously.

Apple has stuff assembled in China but the question if you kindly allow me and that I may ask myself,  is can everybody affort the latest iphone or MacBook pro etc ? Is it worth getting into absurd debt just by ego and to keep un with the Jones or next door Somchai ?

Same for the cars. If one cannot affort the latest Merci full options at 150'000 $,  they should neverthelss be able to have acces to the latest tech through cheaper versions of Chinese or asian models that have nothing to envy with their german cousins.

Let's not forget all the fun  being made many years ago against the Made in Japan or Made in Korea vehicles that carried funny unknown names as Hyundai, Toyota or Kia..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Practically everything now comes from China obvisously.

Apple has stuff assembled in China but the question if you kindly allow me and that I may ask myself,  is can everybody affort the latest iphone or MacBook pro etc ? Is it worth getting into absurd debt just by ego and to keep un with the Jones or next door Somchai ?

Same for the cars. If one cannot affort the latest Merci full options at 150'000 $,  they should neverthelss be able to have acces to the latest tech through cheaper versions of Chinese or asian models that have nothing to envy with their german cousins.

Let's not forget all the fun  being made many years ago against the Made in Japan or Made in Korea vehicles that carried funny unknown names as Hyundai, Toyota or Kia..

But the rides from Japan, Korea back then were rather boring and old-fashioned, for a better word, but, they were reliable, I serviced many.

That reliability has moved on, now Toyota engineering must be the most reliable on the planet, but you do pay a premium for it, for a car aimed at the masses, plus they don't go so much for adding cheap electronic gizmo's for the "oh wow" customers. ........????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Over the last 40 years, I’ve owned a variety of cars. Started with a Daihatsu Charade, Ford Laser, Honda Prelude, Toyota Estima. Lexus 300SL, Audi A6, Merc CLK, Toyota Prius, Ford Ranger, Mazda 2 etc.

Generally, when one changes cars, it’s for an upgrade in performance, ride quality, quietness etc. My Haval H6 beats all my previous cars in all categories when driving in EV mode. Interior cabin quiet asa church mouse, acceleration beats most other vehicles and the ride quality is super smooth. Not to mention all other techno stuff like ac remote start, locking and unlocking doors, tailgate, windows, geolocation, OTA upgrades etc.

All for less than what you would pay for a less than than equivalent Japanese and European made car.

The smart money goes with CH made cars.  Biased and prejudiced buyers pay more for less.

• Love It 2

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Over the last 40 years, I’ve owned a variety of cars. Started with a Daihatsu Charade, Ford Laser, Honda Prelude, Toyota Estima. Lexus 300SL, Audi A6, Merc CLK, Toyota Prius, Ford Ranger, Mazda 2 etc.

Generally, when one changes cars, it’s for an upgrade in performance, ride quality, quietness etc. My Haval H6 beats all my previous cars in all categories when driving in EV mode. Interior cabin quiet asa church mouse, acceleration beats most other vehicles and the ride quality is super smooth. Not to mention all other techno stuff like ac remote start, locking and unlocking doors, tailgate, windows, geolocation, OTA upgrades etc.

All for less than what you would pay for a less than than equivalent Japanese and European made car.

The smart money goes with CH made cars.  Biased and prejudiced buyers pay more for less.

Bit like a steam train, to a diesel train, then try a modern electric train, there is no comparison. ????

So, a bit chalk and cheese.......????

• Confused 3

9 hours ago, vinny41 said:

This article indicates surplus stock hence price reductions

In May, a large single shipment of 3,100 MG cars came to Australia, including the long range electric version. The price cuts may have something to do with surplus stock. But it’s good to see savings on EVs being passed onto those looking at making the switch. 

https://thedriven.io/2023/07/13/mg-slashes-price-of-long-range-version-of-zs-ev-as-electric-car-price-war-intensifies/

https://cnevpost.com/2023/07/13/saic-mg-cuts-mg-mulan-price-by-17-china/

I think when the MG 4 models were first introduced here in Thailand late last year they were more expensive than the 869,000/969,000 price they are now. 

18 minutes ago, Furioso said:

I think when the MG 4 models were first introduced here in Thailand late last year they were more expensive than the 869,000/969,000 price they are now. 

I think same price, as TB finally got one to test drive, and stated 970k

image.png.789451417770f0697b1c4298176b6511.png

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I think same price, as TB finally got one to test drive, and stated 970k

image.png.789451417770f0697b1c4298176b6511.png

Oh okay, I just finished watching a few YT videos where Bjorn drives the MG 4, but missed this one. The driving dynamics are awesome but the software is(or at least was) fairly buggy.

They only sell the 51kWh version here but when I checked it out in the showroom yesterday the interior looked way more impressive than the VS and 5. My neighbor is going to test drive the HS PHEV next week so I'll take a much closer look and see if there's anything I don't like about this MG4. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Quite a few consumers in Europe and surely globally, need to  buy prestige and respect,  with a top brand European car. The quality aspect comes only on part 2 or 3 of the choice. This is one of the causes of high household debt that leads to individual bankrupcy. No to mention that in many parts of the world it's not always smart to display a 100'000 $ car in the driveway for obvious safety reasons.

Why are you quoting my post?

1 hour ago, Furioso said:

The MG Mulan which is the Chinese name for the MG4 electric and yes its a LHD its current price in China is RMB 115,800 yuan or B554,334 which means Chinese  buyers pay 36% less than anyone buying in Thailand

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

We got a GRAB at Krung Thep, and it was Fortuner, and a nice one at that, and no, the ZS (ICE) wasn't even close.  But also about 1/4 th the price, 700k vs 2.5M, so quite expected.

Slight correction in my #s, and the Fortuner is 2.72X the MG ZS (ICE) price, not 4X ... oops.

Also didn't have solar when EV version was ordered, but solar was planned.  Sadly after I bought the ICE version 1.5 yrs earlier, so lost a bit on short, 2yr, ownership, instead of simply keeping what we had for 2 more years.

Hindsight sucks, or not consulting soothsayer, as ignorance, upgraded ZS & gov't incentives didn't happen yet.

Although worked at quite well, and nice to know what you are buying before you invest silly money in cars.  Liked the ICE version, so easy choice moving to E version.

Size of that solar system was not dependent on EV purchase, so still charge with excess solar = free.  Added ESS was do to PEA's install of digital meter, and only change to the system, for off grid overnight use.  Certainly not to charge  the EV.

18 hours ago, transam said:

Not so sure about that, give me an example....?  ????

What car brand is the most reliable?

1. Toyota. Toyota has long been one of the most reliable brands on the market. ...
  2. Lexus. As Toyota's luxury division, Lexus adheres to many of the same standards of quality and vehicle dependability, which shows in its current rankings. ...
  3. Kia. ...
  4. Honda. ...
  5. Buick. ...
  6. Mazda. ...
  7. Hyundai. ...
  8. Nissan

Not a luxury brand to be seen other than Lexus.

Edited by giddyup