National park farang prices

Zyte

1 hour ago, PB172111 said:

You forgot to mention that it is also common in a lot of other countries, Australia also etc

some different pricing in Australia,  however park entry and rides are not dual priced per country as such.

Edited by steven100

10 hours ago, steven100 said:

some different pricing in Australia,  however park entry and rides are not dual priced per country as such.

I lived in Cairns and it was much cheaper for me, being a local, to go out to the barrier reef. If you book a hotel for the night and state you are a local you will also receive a discount. I would say that the Barrier Reef is classed as a national park?

16 hours ago, ericthai said:

dont know about Australia but in the USA there is dual pricing.  Send your kids to a collage in another State and you pay more. Foreign university students pay more.  Many amusement parks have discounts for local residents. 

Both yes and no.  Yes, if you send your kid to a public university in another state they pay the out of state tuition price.  If you are an international student you also pay the out of state tuition price.  The out of state price is the same for both US citizens, permanent residents, and international students.  

Disneyland in Anaheim, CA is one amusement park that I know of that has discounts for locals.  I don't know all the details of it though.  

19 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

Paradise.

Each year during high season I'd travel the Andaman staying about two weeks in every best snorkeling spot. The parks themselves are also the gems of the Andaman. I've even camped on Lipe, Koh Ngai which have no parks. I hold the record for foreigner camping consecutive days and total days in one year on Koh Tachai. My wife holds a similar record for Thai tourists. Normally, 2 weeks is my limit as supplies dwindle. I may hold camping records for Koh Rok as well.

I would no longer recommend camping here as many parks as closed only day trips and the rest have very annoying farang lodged in for the season. Many other issues. It's done but it was great for me 2005-10 without the wife and 10-20 with her. It's now just a huge and expensive hassle.

Torture lol. From the barstool or lounge chair no doubt 

I mentioned this thread to my wife.

Now she insists that we go camping with our kids.

I've seen more upscale tents/camping on YouTube.

I could do that.

I just can't sleep without air-conditioning.

Edited by MrJ2U

8 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I could do that.

I love camping .. nothing better than loading up the bike, heading off and stopping when you have had enough and plotting up for the night.

The only trouble is, its so hot in this continent - it makes the whole thing unbearable, whenever I have done it I spent all night awake and felt like a pile of .. the next day. 

The only place I enjoyed camping was the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia, it gets proper chilled in the night time,

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 8:38 PM, Zyte said:

Thanks for the advice , I was thinking of Khao sok in surathani and if things work out well I may go to Pai and Mae Hong Song

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but, when you go to Khao Sok, you can only walk along one trail to a point, maybe a mornings walk and then you are prevented from walking further unless you have a guide. There wasn't too much to do there.

As someone else mentioned, you can then use that entrance ticket to go to Chiew Larn Reservoir, staying on the government floating bungalows is really economical, I find it more interesting than staying on the private bungalows, there's always plenty of canoes available, food is cheap but basic, we only spent one afternoon and a night, I think if you took a day trip to see the islands and caves, and were into canoeing there is a couple of days there.

One place I really enjoy, is Ko Tarutao national park, we have family connections there and its always good to see the park from a different perspective. From what I gather, if you want to stay on Tarutao, no one will chase you for subsequent days ticket price, and you could spend a week just hanging out - if you go to the other islands in the park, like Andang, they may sting you for an extra day.

1 hour ago, MarcelV said:

I wouldn't take the road between Pai and Wiang Haeng. It's very treacherous and in 2015 I almost died there.

I rode it earlier this year on my CT125 and found it ok, in the wet i would be difficult, but not that bad. It must have been upgraded.

1-DSCF1423.JPG

1-DSCF1420.JPG

1-DSCF1414.JPG

1-DSCF1390.JPG

1 minute ago, chrissables said:

I rode it earlier this year on my CT125 and found it ok, in the wet i would be difficult, but not that bad. It must have been upgraded.

On a motorbike it would be doable. I, however, tried it during rainy season in a Toyota Vios. In the dark.????

I managed to get the car stuck (i.e. the left wheels off the road) on my way to Pai, a few km from the military base right on the CNX-MHS border. A little further to the left and I wouldn't be here now.

I'd still like to complete the ride one day on a dirt bike though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarcelV said:

On a motorbike it would be doable. I, however, tried it during rainy season in a Toyota Vios. In the dark.????

I managed to get the car stuck (i.e. the left wheels off the road) on my way to Pai, a few km from the military base right on the CNX-MHS border. A little further to the left and I wouldn't be here now.

I'd still like to complete the ride one day on a dirt bike though.

Heading north the worst part was not long before the army check point, just very steep.

Another great place is turn right along 1322 and go up https://goo.gl/maps/BBjTGznyMPqKuqVBA

I managed it on a PCX, but an off road bike would be better. Again it ha maybe been upgraded since my trip.

You can camp at the top too, very beautiful views.

DSC_0528.JPG

DSC_0543.JPG

DSC_0508.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 6:58 PM, CharlieH said:

Parks vary but YES there is a charge for entering the park, and re- entering. If you go in and dont come out  for a few days then obviously not.

Well at sam roi yot  the caves are  open 9-5, if  you go after 5 you can just wander in with your  own torch as  everyones  gone home...........is what I do

4 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I could do that.

I know where they have AC bungalows and even had (3) AC tents! Most likely won't be back next year. Islands well offshore in cool season it's even a bit chill at night Dec to Mid Feb. Last year was chill over songkran amazingly.

We have been with so many families and seen so many kids grow up. That social thing has died off but a few Euro, Thai families still return.

Year before last or so my wife thought she recognized a German family. Dug thru her FB and found photos of her holding the infant child now about 9 years! The family flipped out. It was great. Most families are ok but not all. Farang tend to take up way too much room.

The beach is absolutely pristine, no crowds. Shallow water for the kids. The older ones can go snorkeling to see what's left of the coral. Canteen is pretty good and prices reasonable. I've been camping there since 2006 off and on. We know all the staff,  boat service and seen senior rangers come and go.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

No, from a 5 star beachfront resort.

Is the resort beach front or your room? Our tent is usually a few meters from the water.

Things are getting weird at on our fave island and we're looking at maybe moving on to Koh Tao. Bungalows only 600b decent food (we bring a stove too).

Don't like resorts. Don't like to wait on people that are serving me. I rarely see the value in it. There are plenty good *resorts* 400-800b.

National parks are in fact the gems of the Andaman there are few places as beautiful.

I rarely find the Andaman hot even in the day Dec to Feb. Sometimes at night in the tent when the wind stops it gets warm especially toward March. April can be hot of course but only at night and mid day.

Edited by Chad3000

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but, when you go to Khao Sok, you can only walk along one trail to a point, maybe a mornings walk and then you are prevented from walking further unless you have a guide. There wasn't too much to do there.

As someone else mentioned, you can then use that entrance ticket to go to Chiew Larn Reservoir, staying on the government floating bungalows is really economical, I find it more interesting than staying on the private bungalows, there's always plenty of canoes available, food is cheap but basic, we only spent one afternoon and a night, I think if you took a day trip to see the islands and caves, and were into canoeing there is a couple of days there.

One place I really enjoy, is Ko Tarutao national park, we have family connections there and its always good to see the park from a different perspective. From what I gather, if you want to stay on Tarutao, no one will chase you for subsequent days ticket price, and you could spend a week just hanging out - if you go to the other islands in the park, like Andang, they may sting you for an extra day.

I am not so interested in Khao sok if it has limited access without a guide , I might try exploring by motorcycle the area around and outside of the park. I am particularly interested in photography , sunset and sunrise views that sort of thing.

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

Ko Tarutao national park,

Ive camped there a few times. Perhaps 4 5. I've stayed at the three beaches on the west side and visited the other side main beach once.

One of my absolute dream trips was to hike the 10km back over broken road or even take a boat and camp rough on that far beach. Supposedly there was water last time I'd asked (11 years ago).

It's gotta be the most remote spot in Thailand and I almost made it there.

Since I'd heard *pirates* were holding rohinga there as hostage slaves (?) and not to go near.

The island is cool because it's so wild and turtles, lack of people but the water is not fit for snorkeling.

38 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

I know where they have AC bungalows and even had (3) AC tents! Most likely won't be back next year. Islands well offshore in cool season it's even a bit chill at night Dec to Mid Feb. Last year was chill over songkran amazingly.

We have been with so many families and seen so many kids grow up. That social thing has died off but a few Euro, Thai families still return.

Year before last or so my wife thought she recognized a German family. Dug thru her FB and found photos of her holding the infant child now about 9 years! The family flipped out. It was great. Most families are ok but not all. Farang tend to take up way too much room.

The beach is absolutely pristine, no crowds. Shallow water for the kids. The older ones can go snorkeling to see what's left of the coral. Canteen is pretty good and prices reasonable. I've been camping there since 2006 off and on. We know all the staff,  boat service and seen senior rangers come and go.

Sounds wonderful.

Thanks.

Any other ideas Don't hesitate to let me know.

I didn't think my wife wanted to go camping so much.

Our kids are a blast,b7 and 2.

Enjoy your week.

7 minutes ago, Zyte said:

I am not so interested in Khao sok if it has limited access without a guide , I might try exploring by motorcycle the area around and outside of the park. I am particularly interested in photography , sunset and sunrise views that sort of thing.

There is nothing to see around there .. give it a skip. Take a look at Google maps, the road skirts a long way from the park. 

Roads - I do like the top half of the 401 from Surat to Takua Pa, they built it to bring the materials to build the dam, it’s a nice big fast road - Takua Pa is a nice old town to visit. 

There’s an interesting place further down in Phang Nga, Kao Kai Nui, where the mist rolls in at dawn, and seems like you are above the clouds. 

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

I love camping .. nothing better than loading up the bike, heading off and stopping when you have had enough and plotting up for the night.

The only trouble is, its so hot in this continent - it makes the whole thing unbearable, whenever I have done it I spent all night awake and felt like a pile of .. the next day. 

The only place I enjoyed camping was the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia, it gets proper chilled in the night time,

Sure gets hot and humid.

32 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

Is the resort beach front or your room? Our tent is usually a few meters from the water.

Things are getting weird at on our fave island and we're looking at maybe moving on to Koh Tao. Bungalows only 600b decent food (we bring a stove too).

Don't like resorts. Don't like to wait on people that are serving me. I rarely see the value in it. There are plenty good *resorts* 400-800b.

National parks are in fact the gems of the Andaman there are few places as beautiful.

I rarely find the Andaman hot even in the day Dec to Feb. Sometimes at night in the tent when the wind stops it gets warm especially toward March. April can be hot of course but only at night and mid day.

The islands are ridiculously cheap at the moment.

Some recent YouTubers are living a dream.  

Check out "Side Trip Life".

Hes just cruising around the islands staying in some cool places.

Great if you're single or a couple.  Hard with children.

13 hours ago, recom273 said:

I do like the top half of the 401 from Surat to Takua Pa, they built it to bring the materials to build the dam, it’s a nice big fast road - Takua Pa is a nice old town to visit. 

I've only come through by bus. It's very nice drive. Tukuapa isn't much. Well, really nothing. I travel through a few times a year. They're widening the road now.

13 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Great if you're single or a couple.  Hard with children.

We have a few years left working. My wife gets three weeks plus they let her take time without pay. We tried to get to Koh Tao but the boats weren't running, then Wed and Sunday I think. They wanted a freaking PCR test to get on the boat. Forget that.

I've never been big on Koh Samui. Not been back to Koh Phanghan in decades.

6 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

I've never been big on Koh Samui

Same.

But we went 6 months ago.

Empty beaches.

Sureal.

The party places were desolate.

Totally enjoyed ourselves.  

The Royal Suite was 4,000 baht at the Anantara.

IMG_20210327_184057.jpg

DDF7F002-9E6C-4649-8DA5-CC8CBC4A384C-1.jpg

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Same.

But we went 6 months ago.

Empty beaches.

Sureal.

The party places were desolate.

Totally enjoyed ourselves.  

The Royal Suite was 4,000 baht at the Anantara.

IMG_20210327_184057.jpg

DDF7F002-9E6C-4649-8DA5-CC8CBC4A384C-1.jpg

That's really nice. I'm not keen on Anatara it put up a dubious resort on Koh Kradan. Took up a prime beach spot. Rumours, roumours. But I've not been there for ten years

Anyway, I will give you the fact that you had a lovely view. Many resorts people pay 3000 a night and no view.

OnePlus ???? Wife has 7 pro. Great phone despite it weighing 2kg.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

That's really nice. I'm not keen on Anatara it put up a dubious resort on Koh Kradan. Took up a prime beach spot. Rumours, roumours. But I've not been there for ten years

Anyway, I will give you the fact that you had a lovely view. Many resorts people pay 3000 a night and no view.

OnePlus ???? Wife has 7 pro. Great phone despite it weighing 2kg.

The 7 pro I think has a better than the 8 pro.

The Anantara's are ok.

I prefer a more modern style in there Avani brand.

We're not going anywhere until my wife gets the Moderna shots.  Finally got our slot number today, what a fiasco.

I think you're thinking of the Rasananda resort.  Anantara doesn't have a resort on Koh Kradan.

Island looks perfect though.

Enjoy your weekend!