Police Readied for Truckers' Protest

webfact

1634605252032-0x800-1.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 19 (TNA) – Police are on standby to minimize traffic impacts on general motorists as about 1,000 trucks will run slowly in protest against rising fuel prices in greater Bangkok, the Central Plains, the East and the Northeast.

The truckers are the members of the Land Transport Federation of Thailand. In the demonstration called “Truck Power”, they demanded the government freeze the diesel price at 25 baht a liter, cut excise tax on oil by 5 baht per liter and suspend contributions from the diesel price to the Energy Fund for 1 year.

Pol Lt Gen Preecha Charoensahayanont, on behalf of the commissioner of the Royal Thai Police, ordered subordinates to manage traffic to cope with the protest. He also told the federation not to affect general people or violate any law.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-806114

tnalogo.jpg

My wife and I were just in it, coming up from the South, in Samut Songkram. An impressive turnout. Many of the trucks were labeled with numbers, I saw as high as 50 as others were joining them.

Google Translate: "Covid hasn't ended yet. You have to fight the cost of fuel. Have some sympathy for the people! #expensiveoil"

Certainly has gotten expensive. 700 baht used to fill the tank. On this trip it now took 1100.

IMG_20211019_141414.jpg

IMG_20211019_141443.jpg

"not violate any law" ?

Clearly this is a public protest against government policies by more than 5 persons on public property. Pedestrian street protests of more than 5 persons have been deemed violation of law and met with police violence including water cannons, tear gas, rubber bullets and/or arrest.

But for the truckers seems the only police action will be to control traffic. I suppose typical police aggression against protesters won't work well against protesters riding in truck, albeit couldn't they still be arrested for violation the law? Unjustified justice.

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

My wife and I were just in it, coming up from the South, in Samut Songkram. An impressive turnout. Many of the trucks were labeled with numbers, I saw as high as 50 as others were joining them.

Google Translate: "Covid hasn't ended yet. You have to fight the cost of fuel. Have some sympathy for the people! #expensiveoil"

Certainly has gotten expensive. 700 baht used to fill the tank. On this trip it now took 1100.

IMG_20211019_141414.jpg

IMG_20211019_141443.jpg

well its  one way to keep the tossers  to keep  left FINALLY

• Haha 1

Nothing wrong with occasional protest - certainly when directed towards an already top heavy corrupted govt. 

Speaking of months-on-end demonstrations, remember that the numerous activists groups are still in force everyday.

The general news coverage regarding has lost it's punch and fashion, therefore most observers have diminished interests. 

The cause and reason still exists. 

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Seems the army and police are always on the standby these days to guards against the public protesting against the government. Sure it must tell them something, but I'm just as sure they are ignoring them

The state of the Thai state: militarism and policing systems.

Sits well with ruling classes.