Non-immigrant OA visa applicants required to have ฿3m health insurance

24 minutes ago, Pib said:

...And in mid Sep 2021 I did my 2nd marriage extension at CW with the old, underlying OA visa....no insurance required since it's a marriage vs retirement extension.

OK, so I didn't understand there is a difference between a marriage and retirement visa extension.  I mean, I know the difference, but didn't know the difference would potentially affect this insurance issue on an OA.  

I'm still working, married, but have a non-B visa.  I plan on retiring soon and changing to an O visa extension.  I guess, from what you're saying, I should specify that I want a 'married to a Thai' extension instead of a 'retirement' extension.

Also, I have Thai Social Security for live (had a work permit and paid into SS for close to 30 years).  I HOPE that if they ever change the requirement for O visas that this will count as sufficient healthcare insurance. ????????????

On 10/20/2021 at 7:08 AM, ubonjoe said:

Nothing new really. It was proposed and approved by the cabinet in principle months ago.

It will only affect new OA visas issued after the 1st of September.

I have the insurance for 400000 and 40000 Bahts....why do you mean is nothing new if now I need to change my health insurance again for 3.000.000 insure...Can you please explain..? thank you

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mamasun said:

I have the insurance for 400000 and 40000 Bahts....why do you mean is nothing new if now I need to change my health insurance again for 3.000.000 insure...Can you please explain..? thank you

What was approved in principle by the cabinet before was the same 40/400k baht insurance with the $100,000 covid 19 insurance not what it appears to be now.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Pib said:

No insurance required.  I use to do OA retirement extensions...did 11 of them on my underlying OA visa from 2008.   In 2020 I switched from the OA retirement extension to Thai wife marriage extension with that same underlying OA visa from 2008 Christmas Past.  Switched to avoid the medical insurance....done at CW my serving immigration office...no problem in switching...immigration officer knew I was switching to avoid the insurance....all perfectly allowed under immigration rules.  And in mid Sep 2021 I did my 2nd marriage extension at CW with the old, underlying OA visa....no insurance required since it's a marriage vs retirement extension.

I did the same thing this past June.   Glad I did.

19 minutes ago, Galong said:

I'm still working, married, but have a non-B visa.  I plan on retiring soon and changing to an O visa extension. 

You can just extend the non-B for reason of retirement. That is what I did six years ago. No need to change to a non-O. I only needed to supply a retirement letter from my employer.

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

You can just extend the non-B for reason of retirement. That is what I did six years ago. No need to change to a non-O

Hi John... Oh, I didn't know that was an option.  Can it be a non-B married?  It says "married to Thai" in my passport now with my non-B.  I don't really care if there is a difference between how much money I need to keep in a Thai bank (400K or 800K), but I'd like to know if there are any advantages either way.   Cheers. 

2 minutes ago, Galong said:

Hi John... Oh, I didn't know that was an option.  Can it be a non-B married?  It says "married to Thai" in my passport now with my non-B.  I don't really care if there is a difference between how much money I need to keep in a Thai bank (400K or 800K), but I'd like to know if there are any advantages either way.   Cheers. 

Don't know about the married part. I was employed by Mahidol and retired at the end of my last contract. At Nakhon Pathom immigration, they asked for my retirement letter, wrote some sentences in Thai in my passport, and then sent me to Chaengwattana to do the new extension. (Mahidol's address was used for my earlier extensions and so used Nakhon Pathom. Then had to change to my physical address in Bangkok and go to Chaengwattana.) To this day, I still extend for purposes of retirement off my original Non-B.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Don't know about the married part. I was employed by Mahidol and retired at the end of my last contract. At Nakhon Pathom immigration, they asked for my retirement letter, wrote some sentences in Thai in my passport, and then sent me to Chaengwattana to do the new extension. (Mahidol's address was used for my earlier extensions and so used Nakhon Pathom. Then had to change to my physical address in Bangkok and go to Chaengwattana.) To this day, I still extend for purposes of retirement off my original Non-B.

Cool!  Thanks for the info.  I was unaware of this option.  I'll look into it further now that I've heard your story. 

My wife is the director of our company, so a nice retirement letter 'should' be easy. ????????

• Like 1

I am lost.

.1 : when is that new requirement begin ?

2: what is the 3 M. for ?

3 M. for inpatient ? and outpatient ?

is the 3 M only for covid ? or general health ?

why did they write this requirement is for people applying for a NEW OA visa 

On 10/20/2021 at 1:12 PM, John Drake said:

Does any medical center in Thailand accept Tricare up front?

Yep. Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai has accepted the wife's expensive outpatient treatments (98,000 baht each) for filing with Tricare. I have to pay 50% upfront (vs. 100%, and filing myself), then wait for Tricare to pay Bangkok Hospital 75% of the bill, then Bangkok Hospital credits me the 25% overpayment. No real reason to do this, as I certainly can pay full upfront, then file with Tricare. But, just trying to establish a pattern for the wife, for future medical events, since filing online with Tricare is not her (computer illiterate) forte.

Normally, Bangkok Hospital only accepts Tricare for inpatient events. Howevr, BH CM has a Tricare rep -- a retired US Army (Thai/American) medic -- who runs the paperwork for the hospital. Very helpful, and gives assurance that the wife will be handled fine by Tricare, when I'm gone.

• Like 1

I have contact my Insurance ..they don't have yet answer all my questions But this is the reply I have received for now (waiting for more info on the prime cost..

Thank you for contacting us.

Concerning your question, are you referring to the latest updates that there will be the need for a 3,000,000 THB cover?

We have juts today received some information in that regard that for any renewal before September 2022 the usual 40,000 THB outpatient and 400,000 THB inpatient cover.

For any Visa renewals that would happen after September 2022 the health insurwcne would have to have a total annual limit of 3,000,000 THB

I hope that my answer could be of help, if you have any further questions, I gladly remain at your disposal.

Thank you and have a good evening!

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Saludos cordiales / ด้วยความเคารพ,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Galong said:

For most purposes, the original visa you used to enter Thailand is irrelevant. You are now in Thailand on a Non Immigrant permission to stay based on working. A Non Immigrant permission to stay can be extended using any of the other Non Immigrant classes if you meet the criteria.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 7:08 AM, ubonjoe said:

Nothing new really. It was proposed and approved by the cabinet in principle months ago.

So it won't affect extensions of existing OA visas?  That would be nice.  But what I don't get is that the article (in today's BKK  Post, 21 October) calls this "perks" for foreigners and says it's to promote health tourism - in other words, they make it sound as if some new benefit is being given, whereas in fact it seems to be an increase in the burden on the applicant.  Am I missing something?

Edited by TerraplaneGuy
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Mamasun said:
21 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

So it won't affect extensions of existing OA visas?  That would be nice.  But what I don't get is that the article (in today's BKK  Post, 21 October) calls this "perks" for foreigners and says it's to promote health tourism - in other words, they make it sound as if some new benefit is being given, whereas in fact it seems to be an increase in the burden on the applicant.  Am I missing something?

Have you read my post above ? it said (LMG ) that OA extension will need 3 M.coverage after september 2022 !!!

On 10/19/2021 at 6:51 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Remember just over 2 years ago when it was announced that the mandatory 40/400k insurance was required for OA visas ( Oct 2019 ) and there was initial confusion about whether it was new OA’s only or included extensions ??

I believe this will turn out to be the same nightmare ( for OA extenders ).

3 insurance companies are already running with this:

AA

Aetna have an ad on the ASEANNOW newsletter every day.

LMG already issuing this to people wanting a new OA visa.

( NOTE: stating OA not Covid19 cover ).

77D078BC-C6B1-4D34-BF80-FBC5A970D5D0.thumb.jpeg.48cc5dfeea78bc3c26585fb69d099cdb.jpeg

Only a matter of time before it applies to extensions imho, time to make some travel plans me thinks.

That's odd because N.Sana from LMG just sent me an email saying

"For the new regulation announcement of Thai immigration that required coverage of 100,000 USD or 3 Million THB, we are working on this product to launch nearby future. Once the product is ready we will get back to you as soon as possible.

6 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

That's odd because N.Sana from LMG just sent me an email saying

"For the new regulation announcement of Thai immigration that required coverage of 100,000 USD or 3 Million THB, we are working on this product to launch nearby future. Once the product is ready we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Yes I agree, the LMG website shows nothing of this yet the poster from whom I gained the above LMG premium chart received it via email.. The only difference being he is applying for an OA visa in the US , he previously had the 40/400k mandatory health insurance and it is close to renewal so somehow has been sent the new requirements.

I read somewhere ( I think on the Aetna ad ) that  for new OA visas this new level of coverage starts this month ( October ).

Gday 

1. A similar discussion like 2019 when the 400k-40k squeeze was introduced.

2. IMO all extension holders based on retirement will be subjected to the new 3 Million rule at least those who converted from non-oa to retirement extension.

3.IMO all those with extension of stay based on marriage dont need to worry for they are considered thai Family. 

Wbr

Roobaa01

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mamasun said:

Thanks now I read it.  Two things that seem unclear both from the news articles and the letter you received from your insurer are:  1. is the outpatient requirement (currently B40K) changing or does the new B3M requirement only apply to the inpatient requirement (currently B400K)?  2.  Does the policy have to expressly say that the new B3M coverage covers treatment for Covid-19?

On 10/20/2021 at 11:44 PM, tonray said:

And because 'controlled' high blood pressure is my pre-existing condition...this 3 million baht of insurance that may ease the concerns of the Thai authorities about scandals...will pay for no cardiovascular treatments whatsoever, or kidney disease or stroke. Useless....I have maintained insurance from my early days in Thailand (6 years) but with the recent changes...it becomes clear I have no choice but to buy the minimum required to pass Immigration and prepare to self insure the rest...not optimum but paying for insurance that excludes 75% of likely illness for an aging male (ouch that hurts to say out loud) does not make good sense. Perhaps if I can find a catastrophic cancer care / accident policy then that would be useful...otherwise...doubting it right now.

I think it's a good idea for expats to look at maximum payouts on their policies as those "living" in Thailand may end up with chronic conditions or palliative care which is when the big money kicks in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Below post/thread give some info on OA Retirement Visa Bt3M insurance requirements already appearing on the Thai Embassy in Canberra AU....and also gives insight on what would be required to get a foreign medial insurance policy approved....or possibly use a Bt3M deposit in lieu of medical insurance if a person can not obtain insurance.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 11:08 AM, ubonjoe said:

Would this apply to an existing OA that I have, and will be travelling to Thailand with in a few weeks?

My current insurance will expire, so to get stamped one more year need to have insurance in place for that duration.

Insurance companies are not moving off the $100,000 Covid, plus now saying the 3 million baht IP / OP also required.

The November 1st requirement now says $50,000 Covid cover.

Not $100k

It's Confused me..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Would this apply to an existing OA that I have, and will be travelling to Thailand with in a few weeks?

My current insurance will expire, so to get stamped one more year need to have insurance in place for that duration.

Insurance companies are not moving off the $100,000 Covid, plus now saying the 3 million baht IP / OP also required.

The November 1st requirement now says $50,000 Covid cover.

The small amount of available info I have read states that the new insurance  retirements will not go into effect until after September 31st of 2022 for a existing valid OA visa or the extension of a entry from one.

Until then for a OA visa only the 40/400k baht insurance and the new $50,000 covid 19 insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The small amount of available info I have read states that the new insurance  retirements will not go into effect until after September 30th of 2022 for a existing valid OA visa or the extension of a entry from one.

Until then for a OA visa only the 40/400k baht insurance and the new $50,000 covid 19 insurance.

Where have you seen that date Joe ?, I have seen Sept 1st a couple of times.

My ext date is Sept 25th.

Plus,  September only has 30 days.

59 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Form what I have seen October 1st as the start date of the new requirements that that is where the end of September came from but it was not approved by then cabinet until after October 1st.

Immigration has not even posted anything about the new requirements and how the new insurance requirement will handled for one year extensions of a OA visa entry next year.

The 31st of September was small error that has been corrected.

I did my extension of stay based on retirement a little over a week ago and nothing was said. My policy for another year was accepted after being checked in the system. Seems had the I/O known about the changes they would have said something, bit as I said she did not say a peep.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I guess we will have to wait until some official notices are published to find out our fate regarding retirement extensions from an OA.

True enough, but I just hope that this time official notices clearly and rigorously define the new policies so that local I/Os do not have the latitude to conjure up ridiculous interpretations.

Also, I am feeble-minded when it comes to understanding the complicated realm of health insurance and Thailand hospitals admittance policies.  I have superior global health insurance coverage that used to be accepted in a network of large Bangkok hospitals.  To comply with government strictures now in force, have hospital admission staff been trained to examine the passport of the prospective patient for the existence of the O/A indicator so they can reject any foreign insurance and accept only the approved limited government-required coverage?

Edited by pablo el sueco
font
  • Like 2